• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

DOWN

Banned
Actually, it's probably easier to use the Apple store app to purchase accessories when the store employees are busy or you already know what you want...

I know that you can, but I have yet to try it because I feel like it looks sketchy to pick up a case, scan it, and leave. Like that's what a thief who scanned it with a barcode app and saw it wasn't much cheaper on Amazon would do too, right?
Anyone else had trouble and manage to fix this?

I had this problem with the 5 and it fixed itself after a half hour, but feel free to google it for previous years in case you aren't sure its just a delay.

I believe it just had to do with it understanding to shut down the last device and grant access to the new one.

knicks

Got some bullshit text from AT&T about having to put a new Simcard to unlock features.
KuGsj.gif

I put my old one in from my last phone and it works perfectly fine. Suckers are trying to get me to pay their shitty activation fee.

Ain't happenin' mofos.

KevinG

I had this problem with the 5 and it fixed itself after a half hour, but feel free to google it for previous years in case you aren't sure its just a delay.

I believe it just had to do with it understanding to shut down the last device and grant access to the new one.
I just want to make sure that I've done everything that I can on my end.

Just turning on the new phone should do it, right?

Avixph

Also this is honestly the nicest device Apple has ever made. It's out the this world awesome. The quality of the materials, fit and finish, the buttons, the way the smooth glass curves perfectly into the aluminum chassis. It's so incredible, the best phone phone upgrade I've ever made, far more impressive than even the jump to 4 or 5.

Except for how the antenna cover looks like.

Mobius 1

I've got the phone, the Apple leather case in black, crystal screen protectors from Spigen, and anti-glare screen protectors from Power Support. Here is a succinct breakdown of these things:

Phone: Outstanding. The very best mobile device ever created.

Apple leather case: Thin, well finished, nice. Seems worth the investment, and it's design is minimalist, tasteful. The only other case I would ever use is my favorite, the Power Support Air Jacket - but they don't yet have a model for the iPhone 6, nor do I know if they will be able to match the quality of their iPhone 5 models.

Spigen crystal screen protectors: Decent, but not great. They are clear, no distortions, but do not replicate the glass feel of the PowerSupport crystal films. But they are cheap.

PowerSupport anti glare film: Same great quality as always.

In either case: The films do not cover the entire face of the phone, not even the entire area of the LCD, due to the glass curvature. So if that is going to bother you (it bothers me), wait until someone can manufacture something that will fit the contour of the phone.

antigoon

This truly feels like a premium device. There are some quirks and weird stuff that I don't like (coming from 4 years of Android), but overall I really enjoy it so far.

Good riddance, Samsung.

I know that you can, but I have yet to try it because I feel like it looks sketchy to pick up a case, scan it, and leave. Like that's what a thief who scanned it with a barcode app and saw it wasn't much cheaper on Amazon would do too, right?

You can only use the app when connected to Apple's Wi-Fi so the store can track your purchase. Plus, you get your receipt immediately so you can show them if you feel guilty.

I bought a smart cover for my iPad when the iPad 3 came out while the line was our the door on launch day. I already knew what I wanted and decided to buy it after my iPad arrived at work. Walked in, picked the cover, scanned it to pay, put it in my bag & walked out. The employees that saw me use the app were impressed and no one stopped me.

It's a lifesaver on launch days.

I was able to get to my local Apple store (Tampa, Florida) around 3:00 PM today. Pretty long line of around 100 people, about 30 in the reservation queue. I was able to get in the store and try out the 6 and 6 Plus before making my decision.

I showed up there around 2:40PM and was amazed at how long the line was. I knew there would be a line but I didn't expect it to be that long. They seemed to get everyone through the line and into buy relatively quickly, but, boy, they were getting pushy about getting you right back out once you finished your purchase.

I'm having problems adjusting to the size of the 6. I use the phone in my right hand and too many important functions on websites and apps are in the top left corner. I'm guessing this transition is easier for those that use their phone with their left hand. I more often am comfortable with two hands, but I can't be doing that while walking.

On the flip side, typing with the traditional keyboard is now much easier in portrait mode with two hands.

Yep this is me. I use reachibility so much just to access the top when I'm browsing forums or just apps in general. In retrospect Im so dsmned glad I didn't go for the plus, that would have felt absolutely terrible using it one handed. I probably wouldn't be able to access 50 perfect of the top screen lmao

Vyer

Also this is honestly the nicest device Apple has ever made. It's out the this world awesome. The quality of the materials, fit and finish, the buttons, the way the smooth glass curves perfectly into the aluminum chassis. It's so incredible, the best phone phone upgrade I've ever made, far more impressive than even the jump to 4 or 5.

I'm honestly starting to feel the same way. I don't buy every year but I've had every 'version' of the hardware at least. I still like the 'look' of the iPhone 5 the best, but in every other way this 6 really does feel like the best one of them all so far. The quality of it is extremely impressive.

I am still trying to adjust to the bigger phone though. After using this 6 for the night I'm even more sure the phablet size isn't for me. I prefer to keep my tablet and phone separate. More power to those that do, though. I'm sure it's equally as impressive.

I've got the phone, the Apple leather case in black, crystal screen protectors from Spigen, and anti-glare screen protectors from Power Support. Here is a succinct breakdown of these things:

Apple leather case: Thin, well finished, nice. Seems worth the investment, and it's design is minimalist, tasteful. The only other case I would ever use is my favorite, the Power Support Air Jacket - but they don't yet have a model for the iPhone 6, nor do I know if they will be able to match the quality of their iPhone 5 models.

Spigen crystal screen protectors: Decent, but not great. They are clear, no distortions, but do not replicate the glass feel of the PowerSupport crystal films. But they are cheap.

In either case: The films do not cover the entire face of the phone, not even the entire area of the LCD, due to the glass curvature. So if that is going to bother you (it bothers me), wait until someone can manufacture something that will fit the contour of the phone.

The air jacket you mentioned seems amazing. How is it at protecting against drops tho?

MercuryLS

Banned
Yep this is me. I use reachibility so much just to access the top when I'm browsing forums or just apps in general. In retrospect Im so dsmned glad I didn't go for the plus, that would have felt absolutely terrible using it one handed. I probably wouldn't be able to access 50 perfect of the top screen lmao

I've got family big hands (6'3" dude here) and I can reach all areas of the screen, I needed to shift my grip up a bit though. It's a bit of a stretch for me but it's manageable. I haven't had to use reachability yet at all. I feel bad for people with smaller hands that will find it impossible to use the device one handed without reachability. I don't like double tapping to scoot the screen down, gets in the way of the "flow" or using the device. BTW, I found it easier to one hand the device when I took the case off, I think the slight bulk that the case adds makes it a bit harder to do it.

So, guys, at what point will I be able to just walk into a Sprint store and pick up a 6 Plus? Or order online(via Sprint) and have it immediately shipped?

One month? Two months? Never?

SeanR1221

The apple leather case looks nice, but how well will it really protect against a drop?

Also, the whole bottom being exposed is pretty bad if it drops.

Bowser

I've got the black leather case, think I'm gonna switch it out for the blue silicone though. The leather case is still pretty slick itself and the blue looks sexy and should offer a bit more traction. Keeping this thing naked at home though, it's a shame to hide that back.

Edit: one other thing. Coming from a 5, Touch ID is fucking amazing. So awesome unlocking the phone just by putting my thumb to the home button.

So, for those of you who were looking at the 6 Plus as a replacement for your previous phone and for your iPad Mini, do you think it will really replace both devices in your life?

The air jacket you mentioned seems amazing. How is it at protecting against drops tho?

Air jackets are on the level of Apple minimalism, they're amazing but the lack of lips can be a deal breaker for some. I've dropped my 5s while using my air jacket and it survived easily. Only things I don't like about it are that they are kinda pricey and don't cover the power button, volume buttons and mute switch.

DOWN

Banned
Meh. I have one and it was hard plastic snap on. The full coverage makes it probably the best snap on, but it definitely scuffed the metal for me. Maybe if they do the rubberized version it would be better, but otherwise I don't recommend any hard plastics touching the metal.

DOWN

Banned

I've got the black leather case, think I'm gonna switch it out for the blue silicone though. The leather case is still pretty slick itself and the blue looks sexy and should offer a bit more traction. Keeping this thing naked at home though, it's a shame to hide that back.

Edit: one other thing. Coming from a 5, Touch ID is fucking amazing. So awesome unlocking the phone just by putting my thumb to the home button.

Does the microfiber lining in the leather/silicone cases touch the side/corners too or is it only laid flat in there against the back of the phone and the sides inside are touched by the leather/silicone?

Bowser

Does the microfiber lining in the leather/silicone cases touch the side/corners too or is it only laid flat in there against the back of the phone and the sides inside are touched by the leather/silicone?

Only the back is microfiber. The sides look to be some sort of rubber/silicone.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
The apple leather case looks nice, but how well will it really protect against a drop?

Also, the whole bottom being exposed is pretty bad if it drops.

I think a lot of the people using the leather case are using it to keep it flawless under day to day activities and probably have apple+ and/or something from their carriers to offer even more insurance were something catastrophic to happen. Costs more but sort of covers all the bases.

Vyer

So since someone mentioned ringtones I just went and looked at the ringtones store in iTunes for the first time ever. Omg a House of Cards ringtone.

sangreal

My wife choose the "zoom" option where all her Apps are really big. I don't like it.

The apps are like that regardless unless they're updated. Twitter, imdb, duolingo and alien blue are some examples of updated apps

I hate elderly mode. I preferred the black bars on most apps when the iphone 5 came out

Anyone else having trouble getting Gmail exchange to work on the mail app? I have two emails. One works, but the other wont load any emails or send any. I have no idea why.

I turned off 2 step notification, and even then it isnt working.

How come I have to use my password to enable Touch ID for app purchases? Is that a one time thing?

Yeah. Make sure in settings, you switch on App Store for Touch ID.

Deku Tree

Anyone else having trouble getting Gmail exchange to work on the mail app? I have two emails. One works, but the other wont load any emails or send any. I have no idea why.

I turned off 2 step notification, and even then it isnt working.

Yeah. Make sure in settings, you switch on App Store for Touch ID.

Don't you have to just use "google" now... not "exchange"?

EDIT: Yeah I just checked a while ago Google stopped supporting Exchange (unless you pay them $50 a year). They didn't turn it off for accounts that were already set up. But any new activation is now denied. The only possibility is to use the "Google" setting.

knicks

Anyone know the name of an app or free program where I can transfer my text messages from my old iPhone to my new one? iCloud is messing with me...and isn't properly working.

sangreal

Don't you have to just use "google" now... not "exchange"?

EDIT: Yeah I just checked a while ago Google stopped supporting Exchange (unless you pay them $50 a year). They didn't turn it off for accounts that were already set up. But any new activation is now denied. The only possibility is to use the "Google" setting.
To be clear they turned it off for devices that weren't already set up. So if you I got a new phone you are sol. It's this way for paid Google business too. Only solution if you need push is an app like Gmail or mailbox

ijm72

Got my 6+ and so far I'm really liking it and I think I made the right decision choosing it over the 6. I just hope apps are updated soon to take advantage of the resolution because I'm not liking the scaled apps.

Ah fuck. I have to use Gmail or Mailbox now? Goddamnit. Google better hurry up with an update to the Gmail app, as it looks like utter shit on the iPhone 6.

No wonder my second email works with Exchange. Its a business email connected to Google Apps that I'm paying for.

By the way, when I restored from backup, none of my music came. When I try to sync, iTunes tells me I have to erase and resync. Is it going to erase all my music and movies (which I have zero of now) or my entire phone?

Sobriquet

Except for how the antenna cover looks like.

I think they look fine. *shrug*

My wife choose the "zoom" option where all her Apps are really big. I don't like it.

I actually liked zoom until I realized that on the Plus in zoom mode the screen locks in portrait like all the other iPhones. I was looking for the option to get two-column mail and couldn't find it. I turned off zoom, and there it was.

Top Bottom