• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

I've had quite the day.

The phone was delivered at 9AM and my mom waited at my apartment for it. Apparently the fucking UPS guy left it on my goddamn doorstep without getting a fucking signature from anybody. What a piece of shit. Imagine if that was a $2,000 Macbook. Fuck that guy.

Got off work, went to my parents apartment, backed up contacts, had some trouble activating the phone so I had to download iTunes to their computer, took about two hours total. When it activated, I went to Verizons website to try to switch my number over to the iPhone and switch my moms number to my phone I'm giving her and it gives me an error. Says the phones aren't compatible.

I used the online chat to try and figure this out and she tells me it's probably because the phone JUST got activated and she can probably switch the lines for me. It takes about 20 minutes until she gets back to me and she tells me she can't do it. I guess Verizons servers reset from 11-12 Central time and I called right at the start of that window.

So now I'm waiting another 30 minutes or so until I get back on Verizons website to try and switch these lines and get my 6 ready for work tomorrow. I'm so very tired.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just went to order a Spigen case from Amazon... for 2-5 shipping at ended up being $45. Their website is cheaper but it still ends up being something like $30-40USD for a case. Damn, the clear case looked nice.

When I got to the store and the lady went into the back to get my Plus, I picked up a demo unit and immediately my stomach sank. It was too fuckin big, I messed up, I got the wrong size. I picked up the 6 and it is just fantastic. The normal sized 6 is so good. I picked up the Plus again and felt it slide around in my hand, tried to reach different points of the screen, ugh.

The lady brought out my phone, and told me since I was upgrading and not starting a new line, I HAD to activate it in-store (Uh what? What if I'd shipped it to my house?) we talked about the screen size and she kept comparing it to the iPad Minis by us and I kept panicking that I got the wrong size. Walking out of the store I just kept taking it out of my pocket and putting it back, trying to figure out the best positioning for my hands, blergh! My friend that came with me was like, "You have huge hands! Don't worry you'll get used to it."

She was right! After spending the day with it I fuckin LOVE my 6 Plus. Typing on it is a dream, the keyboard is the perfect size, the Reachabikity function is super helpful, the screen is BEAUTIFUL, and though I've only taken one picture the camera is amazing. And the slow motion video feature!! Oh man.

I hope you realize you just settled my internal debate and I'm probably going to get a 6+

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I hope you realize you just settled my internal debate and I'm probably going to get a 6+

I was always getting a Plus. I wanted the excess of the big screen. But I was shocked when I tried a demo unit today and it was actually easier to handle than I expected. I was expecting worse.

Corgi

Banned
lol my iphone 5 died from 90% after browsing twitter for the 2-3 hours i was in line today >.<

These things really do start breaking down about the 2 year mark eh?

If you workout with your phone or take it to the gym I'd definitely recommend the iPhone 6. I workout and store my iPhone in a flip belt and I could notice the iPhone 6 during some of my exercises. I couldn't imagine working out with a iPhone 6 plus.

jrcbandit

How slippery is the back to the 6 Plus? A friend was complaining about his. The phone is too big to put a case on it since I don't have that big of hands so I am not sure if I even want it if a case is a must (Delivery is set for Oct 3). I was just planning on using a leather pouch to protect the phone when in my pockets.

How slippery is the back to the 6 Plus? A friend was complaining about his. The phone is too big to put a case on it since I don't have that big of hands so I am not sure if I even want it if a case is a must (Delivery is set for Oct 3). I was just planning on using a leather pouch to protect the phone when in my pockets.

the phone very slippery hold with care. i already droped it twice

Tabris

I had the worst line up experience I've ever had in my life.

Here is how the Vancouver Downtown line up went:

- Arrived at 4:30am and the line goes around the block completely. 500+ people. A good chunk must have been Chinese and they were lining up to pick to send over to mainland China due to the launch delay. Honestly, the launch delay in China grossly inflated the lines and after market price in areas like Vancouver and Hong Kong. This is why I think they need to region lock between China and rest of the world.
- Not a single Apple person comes around until 8am, and only then to pick up garbage. Totally different then the experience I've had at other launches where they run around and psych everyone up and hand out waters / treats / umbrellas if needed.
- It starts raining hard, I have no umbrella (until a friend brought me one), and I'm not wearing a jacket or hoody. By the 4th hour my feet were soaked and they stayed that way until I was done. I also did not bring a chair as every other launch I've gone to I got my phone in 3-4hrs of lining up.
- The line absolutely crawled because they were under staffed and there was confusion around the reservations and there was a lot of people converting from old 3yr contracts to 2yr contracts.
- At every other launch I've been to, around 8am they would go through the line and hand out cards so you knew you were guaranteed a phone. Not only was this assurance you were getting the phone you wanted, or you could just leave if you didn't, but it was also prevented people cutting in (which there was a decent amount of) because if you didn't have your card you had to go to the back of the line.
- Total time was 10 fucking hours. I would have just waited 3-4 weeks if I knew it was going to be like that but there 0 communication and with each hour passing I felt silly for both staying but would feel sillier leaving after having gone through that.

Fuck you Apple Retail Store Management for mis-handling this. And fuck me for not pre-ordering online / actually lining up. Last time.

The phone I got was pretty awesome though.

I'm sorry I need to quote this for new page just for how painful this experience was. Need my venting to be viewed by more people, haha.

Xamdou

The official Apple Iphone 6 silicon case feels good in the hands and the baby blue color looks gorgeous but damn it is a dust magnet. I knew silicon is dust prone from a prior experience buy a case like it before but man it is a deal breaker.

I'm sorry I need to quote this for new page just for how painful this experience was. Need my venting to be viewed by more people, haha.

Most of the phones are factory unlocked so how can Apple prevent something like this from happening? Carrier locking it for a limited time may piss people off.

Just checked Verizon and now I have an order pending on my number so I can't try to switch it and I just checked the chat again and it says there won't be any people available to help me until 5:30AM. That Verizon rep lied to me.

Fuck it, I'm going to sleep. Hopefully I have enough time in the morning before work to fix this.

chidrock

I got a Spigen Neo Hybrid case, and besides the button issue I have another problem...it makes the phone want to jump out of my hands - the sides are really slippery and makes one-handing it a treacherous affair.

I was looking at the Apple silicon or leather case as an alternative. The silicone one I picked up (light blue) feels pretty good but I am worried about how it doesn't cover the bottom edge of the phone. I'm also wondering how it's going to look after a little use since everyone says its a lint magnet. I was debating exchanging it for a darker one.

Is the apple leather case slippery, or does that have a good grip like the silicone version?

Namikaze

Is the apple leather case slippery, or does that have a good grip like the silicone version?

The leather case feels great. Lots of grip and doesn't collect lint all that easily. Only thing I'm worried about is how it will age, the brighter colored ones tend to look dirty to borderline nasty after a short time if it's the same as the 5S case (you can see pics of this online).

Sid

A lot of the impressions are saying that the screen 'pops' a lot more than any other phone,how true is this?

Kermy

If you guys want an iPhone tomorrow for pick up, check the online Apple Store. A lot of stores are showing availability for Personal Pickup for tomorrow.

My only hope is that those shipping estimates are BS and we randomly get them next week.
That would be awesome and trollsome

They should really give us a bit more info about our order status and etc .. Give updates and such .. Here in my area their 4g sats are not really constructed much yet ... Sadly :( freakin hawaii ;_; there's only a few 4g enabled area in some parts here too

4-6 weeks is too long :(

ReAxion

I need to comment on something I noticed about Apples cases, specifically the materials selected. Leather and silicon increase friction, will do better at not falling out of your pocket than metal on cloth. I noticed this cuz I'm wearing shorts that are comfy and easy to wear but also have smaller pockets. Change will fall out in the car, but my 6 didn't.

I feel like I need to say again that I got my Apple case for free.

DOWN

Banned
A lot of the impressions are saying that the screen 'pops' a lot more than any other phone,how true is this?

the colors on my note 3 pop more but the 6 plus is more accurate.

Yeah, Samsung artificially cranks their saturation and I think it looks caustic and awful. Apple aims to have the iPhones contend for most accurate ever since the 5 integrated the touch into the glass on 5. I think the AMOLED blue tint mixed with oversaturated colors is such a rough combo.

Sid

Yeah, Samsung artificially cranks their saturation and I think it looks caustic and awful. Apple aims to have the iPhones contend for most accurate ever since the 5 integrated the touch into the glass on 5. I think the AMOLED blue tint mixed with oversaturated colors is such a rough combo.
That can be adjusted,right? I'm curious since I'm about to buy a Note 4 next month.

just went to see how the Sprint forums are and will try to ask questions but...welp....seems a lot of people did do in-store purchase too like me but some of them lined-up on the 12th where they pre-ordered and did not even get theirs yet

wtf

sheesh....freakin SPRINT

4-6 weeks....

and all of us paid those in-store purchases directly too :(*

Terrell

Metrotown was a damn mad house. And this was at 5pm.

I waited 30 minutes for other people to let me even touch one, while 20-somethings crowded the demo tables, endlessly took pictures and held them 2 at a time against each other, himming and hawing all the while. I couldn't believe it. "Seriously, GTFO, you're not the only god-damned person here" was repeating on loop in my head. I'm sure it must have slipped out of my mouth at least once.

They had been ripped off their chargers so many times and for long enough that you'd get to demo them for 2 minutes before the battery died.

I never got to see the color I wanted, but by then I didn't. Fucking. Care.

The 6 felt good, very light, nice rounded edges. I felt good with it.

And after another 10 minute wait for one to charge, finally I got to touch a 6 Plus. HOLY SHIT IS IT BIG. For basic navigation, one hand will do, but typing? Forget it, you'd need the longest hand/thumb in creation for that. But I'll be damned if it didn't somehow feel better in my hands than a 6. I also rarely one-hand type anyways, so I felt it was a good compromise for a gorgeous screen, better battery and better feel in my hands.

I'll go again to see the colors one more time, but I see a 6 Plus in my future. I soon after exited because damn, I was sweating from the proximity body heat from all the people in that store. And I noticed when I left that there was still a line to buy one. At 5:45pm. Yikes.

toneroni

just went to see how the Sprint forums are and will try to ask questions but...welp....seems a lot of people did do in-store purchase too like me but some of them lined-up on the 12th where they pre-ordered and did not even get theirs yet

wtf

sheesh....freakin SPRINT

4-6 weeks....

and all of us paid those in-store purchases directly too :(*

I have sprint. Pre-ordered the day after it opened and got it today. Regular 6 though...

Matt

If you guys want an iPhone tomorrow for pick up, check the online Apple Store. A lot of stores are showing availability for Personal Pickup for tomorrow.

Yeah, I just tried to buy a 6 Plus with that at one store that said they had them, but they went OOO right after i hit Confirm. Then the same thing happened to the other store that had it...

Matt

Yeah, I just tried to buy a 6 Plus with that at one store that said they had them, but they went OOO right after i hit Confirm. Then the same thing happened to the other store that had it...

Well I kept hitting check stores and it popped up again in stock, so I just grabbed one. No idea if that means anything though.

ZeroX03

Banned
Your phone is coming soon!

If your pre-order is completed by 24 September we will dispatch your iPhone so it arrives as close to launch (26 September) as possible. Stock availability could be limited, meaning there is a chance that delivery could take longer - we’ll keep you posted if this happens.

C'mon no delays!

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
If a product needs me to "get used to it", most of the time, that product is shit and i would regret buying it.

I'm still super pissed apple stopped making "regular" sized phones :(

Blackhead

Redarse
I had the worst line up experience I've ever had in my life.

Here is how the Vancouver Downtown line up went:

- Arrived at 4:30am and the line goes around the block completely. 500+ people. A good chunk must have been Chinese and they were lining up to pick to send over to mainland China due to the launch delay. Honestly, the launch delay in China grossly inflated the lines and after market price in areas like Vancouver and Hong Kong. This is why I think they need to region lock between China and rest of the world.
- Not a single Apple person comes around until 8am, and only then to pick up garbage. Totally different then the experience I've had at other launches where they run around and psych everyone up and hand out waters / treats / umbrellas if needed.
- It starts raining hard, I have no umbrella (until a friend brought me one), and I'm not wearing a jacket or hoody. By the 4th hour my feet were soaked and they stayed that way until I was done. I also did not bring a chair as every other launch I've gone to I got my phone in 3-4hrs of lining up.
- The line absolutely crawled because they were under staffed and there was confusion around the reservations and there was a lot of people converting from old 3yr contracts to 2yr contracts.
- At every other launch I've been to, around 8am they would go through the line and hand out cards so you knew you were guaranteed a phone. Not only was this assurance you were getting the phone you wanted, or you could just leave if you didn't, but it was also prevented people cutting in (which there was a decent amount of) because if you didn't have your card you had to go to the back of the line.
- Total time was 10 fucking hours. I would have just waited 3-4 weeks if I knew it was going to be like that but there 0 communication and with each hour passing I felt silly for both staying but would feel sillier leaving after having gone through that.

Fuck you Apple Retail Store Management for mis-handling this. And fuck me for not pre-ordering online / actually lining up. Last time.

The phone I got was pretty awesome though.

I call shenanigans. No self-respecting Vancouverite uses an umbrella instead of wearing a rain jacket ;)

Which one did you get?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
NEVER FORGET

riot5.jpg

OMG he is soooo cute

DOWN

Banned
If a product needs me to "get used to it", most of the time, that product is shit and i would regret buying it.

I'm still super pissed apple stopped making "regular" sized phones :(

Nah, the 6 is the successor to the 5. The 6 Plus came from the need for a phablet to compete better.

You will easily still enjoy the form factor of a phone with the 6. It's just the nice evolution without becoming oversized to those not wanting a sort of mini tablet.

TimFL

Used my iPhone 6 for 24h and it has 44% left (3h usage, 21h standby). That's insane, considering I was at an event for 4h yesterday which had my phone searching for signal for 4h straight (signal found and dropped immediately). Not to mention the amount of stuff I let it download over night (including iCloud backup). The 240fps slow-mo is insane.

Only thing I absolutely hate is the zooming/scaling of apps that aren't optimized for the iP6 display yet (sadly that's close to every App I have installed...).

I cut my micro-Sim to fit into the Nano-Sim tray, I read that I shouldn't do that because it can damage the phone? Is that true (I have no clue how the sim-card stuff works)? Ordered a Nano-Sim yesterday anyways but it arrives on monday at the earliest so I'll have to use the phone with a cut micro-Sim.

Top Bottom