• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Shearie

Tried both phones at the Apple Store earlier today and the 6 is absolutely wonderful in the hand. The slimness and curved edge smoothness which makes side swiping feel great and so comfortable to hold. The 6 Plus was a little too big and heavy for my tastes. One handed use is important to me and even just using the portrait keyboard my thumb had to do a little bit too much stretching and comfort suffered.

Another thing I was super impressed by was the implementation of Reachability. Not only is the initiation quick and easy but it automatically goes back up or stays in place for the right interactions and Notification Center swiping works well with it too.

Mononoke

Banned
Bleh, I found out that my 6 + won't be here for another 4 weeks (maybe 6). Fuck you Sprint. =/ Even had my order in on the 12th early in the morning. I guess they had a shortage of the 16gb Gray models. What is dumb is, I really should have just went for 64gb or 128gb (as they had those). Only reason I went with 16, is I honestly stream everything. I use iTunes match, and only keep a handful of albums or playlists on my phone at a given time. I use spotify, netflix etc. So I didn't think memory would be a big issue (it hasn't been on my past iPhone).

But that mistake set me back weeeeeeeeks. Sucks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Anyone else drinking alone and watching unboxing videos on an inferior iPhone <= 5?

;_;

Is it still important to deactivate iMessage in addition to Find my iPhone before wiping and selling an old iPhone?

Every place I've gotten a quote from (AT&T, Gamestop, Apple Store) has had "Is Find My iPhone turned off?" as one of the things they check. So yes, it's important

Kobiekun

Got my iPhone 6 and am loving it so far, although the increase in size does take some getting used to. Bought the Photive bumper, same brand as was on my 5S, and it fits great.

multivac

Every place I've gotten a quote from (AT&T, Gamestop, Apple Store) has had "Is Find My iPhone turned off?" as one of the things they check. So yes, it's important

Sorry, I meant specifically just disabling iMessage, since I've already disable Find my iPhone and also wiped the phone. But I did not disable iMessage, which I now faintly remember being a thing in the past?

Sorry, I meant specifically just disabling iMessage, since I've already disable Find my iPhone and also wiped the phone. But I did not disable iMessage, which I now faintly remember being a thing in the past?

That I don't know! The only issues I've ever heard with iMessage is some syncing problems between devices, and when someone switches from an iPhone to something else, it can take other iPhones a LONG time to figure out that iMessages aren't working

I haven't heard anything about disabling it before resetting your phone, but I'm far from an expert.

Ughh having problems here. Can't seem to get the actual "phone" part of this phone to work. I have service and almost full LTE coverage but can't make or receive calls. It just hangs with no dial tone then says call failed. Can't send or receive texts either unless it's through iMessage. Also it won't even let me touch the voice mail "icon" in the Phone app. I restored and apparently activated the phone correctly so what am I missing here? This is not my first iPhone but is the first time I've ran into this. And I've completely wiped my old phone like I always do.

Any ideas oh wise ones??

multivac

That I don't know! The only issues I've ever heard with iMessage is some syncing problems between devices, and when someone switches from an iPhone to something else, it can take other iPhones a LONG time to figure out that iMessages aren't working

I haven't heard anything about disabling it before resetting your phone, but I'm far from an expert.

Some quick googling leads me to the same result. I think it only matters if you're switching to a non-Apple device.

Corgi

Banned
Guess I'm skipping a screen protector. Seems they all can't cover the whole phone screen this time because the curve starts before the edge of the LCD. Everyone is saying the narrowness of the protectors is very distracting in the reviews on amazon.

Yeah, I noticed that. Was wondering if it was a price error.

Apparently none of the protectors do. The curve on the glass starts before the actual LCD edge, so protectors don't have a flat surface to stick to all the way to the edge this time. Looks like protectors aren't a good idea this time.

it should still offer decent enough front protection, and with a case with good lip, you should be alright for the most part.

So, for those of you who were looking at the 6 Plus as a replacement for your previous phone and for your iPad Mini, do you think it will really replace both devices in your life?

If you have a 6+ the iPad mini is a useless device.

I'm in bed right now with my 6+ browsing and don't even feel the need to grab my iPad air.

This landscape keyboard layout is pure shit though.

Bleh, I found out that my 6 + won't be here for another 4 weeks (maybe 6). Fuck you Sprint. =/ Even had my order in on the 12th early in the morning. I guess they had a shortage of the 16gb Gray models. What is dumb is, I really should have just went for 64gb or 128gb (as they had those). Only reason I went with 16, is I honestly stream everything. I use iTunes match, and only keep a handful of albums or playlists on my phone at a given time. I use spotify, netflix etc. So I didn't think memory would be a big issue (it hasn't been on my past iPhone).

But that mistake set me back weeeeeeeeks. Sucks.
On sprint too :( my phone upgrade is eligible ... I pre-ordered directly on their store ... Said they'll call me if it's here ,;_;

I had no intention of getting one today but I was able to get the last IP6 64gb in space grey from costco . Saved me $100 because of wholesale tax. It seemed like everyone shopping was interested/knew about the new iPhone. Props to the apple marketing team.

BocoDragon

I had no intention of getting one today but I was able to get the last IP6 64gb in space grey from costco . Saved me $100 because of wholesale tax. It seemed like everyone shopping was interested/knew about the new iPhone. Props to the apple marketing team.

It was huge. My school's blown up over it. My FB's blown up over it. Even Android peeps I know are posting unboxing videos.... or at least sharing news like how the first guy in line dropped his, or how the police were called in to calm the lineup at Metrotown here in Vancouver (We Vancouverites riot for very silly reasons).

This is one hot phone. The Apple magic is still alive.

Corgi

Banned

costco sells iphone 6's? Might stop by to see if they have plus... but i kinda doubt it :(

Owari

Really loving the 6+ so far. Everything about it, the egronomics, the screen size/clarity, the landscape rotation options... Just amazing. I can even use it one handed (I have large hands though)

They really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Bullza2o

Apple please ship my 6 Plus soon! I know I preordered late last Tuesday but I hope you can deliver it a bit earlier than mid-October. Argh...

Smidget

So it looks like my wife's phone has a stuck or dead pixel? It's a white pixel in the top left corner.

It was spotted in YouTube but also can be seen in the notification area. The weird thing is when you rotate to landscape mode and look in the exact same spot it is nowhere to be found.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid to brave the lines to get it fixed but I know it'll drove us both crazy.

Xcellere

or how the police were called in to calm the lineup at Metrotown here in Vancouver (We Vancouverites riot for very silly reasons).

NEVER FORGET

riot5.jpg

DOWN

Banned
So it looks like my wife's phone has a stuck or dead pixel? It's a white pixel in the top left corner.

It was spotted in YouTube but also can be seen in the notification area. The weird thing is when you rotate to landscape mode and look in the exact same spot it is nowhere to be found.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm afraid to brave the lines to get it fixed but I know it'll drove us both crazy.

Get away from YouTube. It's got a programmed dead pixel.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1725880

Mononoke

Banned
On sprint too :( my phone upgrade is eligible ... I pre-ordered directly on their store ... Said they'll call me if it's here ,;_;

We can be sad together. :(

Seriously, it really sucks. I mean, I know these are in high demand. But damn, 4-6 weeks? Really? Even pre-ordering on day 1?

The salt in the wound is that, Apple had Sprint store models at their store. :(

Smidget

Get away from YouTube. It's got a programmed dead pixel.

Thanks for the advice. I did just read that after some Googling but it remains there when I am out of YouTube and just on the screen with apps.

Also my YouTube doesn't have that pixel while hers does?

Just stange all around :x

And did a screenshot of it just in case it was somehow in the software but no luck. Wonder if i try to do another restore? In case it's software related somehow? So weird how it shows up in portrait but not landscape. Edit: actually I'm wrong, it is there in the portrait view. I guess it's just a stuck or dead pixel.

costco sells iphone 6's? Might stop by to see if they have plus... but i kinda doubt it :(

Not sure about the Plus, your best bet would be to go to the Apple store. Costco gets random shipments at random times that they don't even know about. While I was there they got a shipment of Gold iPhones out of nowhere. Call when they open.

Costco is low-key, and since you have to be a member to get in, you don't have deal with bullshit people or scalpers.

grkazan12

Some early impressions from using a 6 Plus

- Browsing with Safari has been awesome
- Screen looks great.
- Videos look awesome
- Design is excellent and comfortable
- One handed use is a tad harder, but nothing too bad

Only negative would have to be is quick one handed use, but I haven't really used it outside at all yet.

It is pretty damn big coming from the five, but you quickly get used to it after a little while.

Overall, I think it's pretty great so far, but I'm still torn on the one/quick handed use part. Still don't know if I want to exchange for the 6 yet. Would love to hear fellow 6 Plus people's thoughts.

I don't think you have to wait in line. Set up a genius bar appointment and walk in. They should have replacement iPhones on reserve. Worse case scenario is you deal with your dead pixel until they inform you the replacement has arrived.

got a 128gb 6 plus feels great in the hand i hated holding the iphone 5. i hate the huge bezels on it makes the phone a lot bigger than it needs to be. One thing i will say i wish apple had multi window multitasking like my note 3 apple should have implemented it in ios 8. The 6 plus is a good phone but i think i like my note 3 more.

Owari

Does anyone know a good place for iPhone 6+ wallpapers? Something with around 2500x2500 resolution so it's full def in landscape.

DOWN

Banned
So with these rather lame boxes, do we think Apple was saving on ink and printing by making it so they didn't have to print color-specific box lids this time? It seems like a cheap move to me.

Tabris

I had the worst line up experience I've ever had in my life.

Here is how the Vancouver Downtown line up went:

- Arrived at 4:30am and the line goes around the block completely. 500+ people. A good chunk must have been Chinese and they were lining up to pick to send over to mainland China due to the launch delay. Honestly, the launch delay in China grossly inflated the lines and after market price in areas like Vancouver and Hong Kong. This is why I think they need to region lock between China and rest of the world.
- Not a single Apple person comes around until 8am, and only then to pick up garbage. Totally different then the experience I've had at other launches where they run around and psych everyone up and hand out waters / treats / umbrellas if needed.
- It starts raining hard, I have no umbrella (until a friend brought me one), and I'm not wearing a jacket or hoody. By the 4th hour my feet were soaked and they stayed that way until I was done. I also did not bring a chair as every other launch I've gone to I got my phone in 3-4hrs of lining up.
- The line absolutely crawled because they were under staffed and there was confusion around the reservations and there was a lot of people converting from old 3yr contracts to 2yr contracts.
- At every other launch I've been to, around 8am they would go through the line and hand out cards so you knew you were guaranteed a phone. Not only was this assurance you were getting the phone you wanted, or you could just leave if you didn't, but it was also prevented people cutting in (which there was a decent amount of) because if you didn't have your card you had to go to the back of the line.
- Total time was 10 fucking hours. I would have just waited 3-4 weeks if I knew it was going to be like that but there 0 communication and with each hour passing I felt silly for both staying but would feel sillier leaving after having gone through that.

Fuck you Apple Retail Store Management for mis-handling this. And fuck me for not pre-ordering online / actually lining up. Last time.

The phone I got was pretty awesome though.

toohectic

Checked out the local Apple store this evening. They were packed and out of stock but I still spent some good time checking out both phones. As others have mentioned, I agree that these are Apple's best phones yet. The antenna bands did not come across negatively at all to me in person. They looked great especially on the silver version. I figured seeing them in person would make my color choice obvious, but now I'm even more undecided between the space grey and silver version. Slightly leaning toward silver as a change from my previous all black iPhone lineup. As much as I loved the 6+ extra capabilities, I'm going to opt for the standard 6 since it seemed to be the best size coming from a 4S. Anyway, awesome phones, but I discovered that it's going to take me forever to get used to that side sleep/wake button. They were fast too. No hesitation/lag experienced in the native OS apps on either model. Didn't spend too much time in the 3rd party apps since most had not been updated for the new resolutions. I thought the screen quality on the standard 6 was much improved over my 4S despite the same PPI value. 6+ even more so but both model's displays were gorgeous. Can't wait to pick one up.

ZeroX03

Banned
Isn't landscape 1080p? Or do you mean with the parallax motion?

6 Plus's actually renders at 1242×2208 and downsamples to 1080p, so ideally for a 6 Plus used in both portrait and landscape you want 2208×2208, and add a little extra to the sides for parallax motion meaning 2500×2500 is about right.

BocoDragon

Haha random as fuck.

For some reason it brings to mind an unboxing of a Japanese copy of The Last Story, where a guy opened the box, calmly took out scissors and cut the disc into pieces, then mixed it with kimchi.

I had the worst line up experience I've ever had in my life.

Here is how the Vancouver Downtown line up went:

- Arrived at 4:30am and the line goes around the block completely. 500+ people. A good chunk must have been Chinese and they were lining up to pick to send over to mainland China due to the launch delay. Honestly, the launch delay in China grossly inflated the lines and after market price in areas like Vancouver and Hong Kong. This is why I think they need to region lock between China and rest of the world.
- Not a single Apple person comes around until 8am, and only then to pick up garbage. Totally different then the experience I've had at other launches where they run around and psych everyone up and hand out waters / treats / umbrellas if needed.
- It starts raining hard, I have no umbrella (until a friend brought me one), and I'm not wearing a jacket or hoody. By the 4th hour my feet were soaked and they stayed that way until I was done. I also did not bring a chair as every other launch I've gone to I got my phone in 3-4hrs of lining up.
- The line absolutely crawled because they were under staffed and there was confusion around the reservations and there was a lot of people converting from old 3yr contracts to 2yr contracts.
- At every other launch I've been to, around 8am they would go through the line and hand out cards so you knew you were guaranteed a phone. Not only was this assurance you were getting the phone you wanted, or you could just leave if you didn't, but it was also prevented people cutting in (which there was a decent amount of) because if you didn't have your card you had to go to the back of the line.
- Total time was 10 fucking hours. I would have just waited 3-4 weeks if I knew it was going to be like that but there 0 communication and with each hour passing I felt silly for both staying but would feel sillier leaving after having gone through that.

Fuck you Apple Retail Store Management for mis-handling this. And fuck me for not pre-ordering online / actually lining up. Last time.

The phone I got was pretty awesome though.

After reading the bolded, I don't feel sorry for you at all Tab. ;)

When I got to the store and the lady went into the back to get my Plus, I picked up a demo unit and immediately my stomach sank. It was too fuckin big, I messed up, I got the wrong size. I picked up the 6 and it is just fantastic. The normal sized 6 is so good. I picked up the Plus again and felt it slide around in my hand, tried to reach different points of the screen, ugh.

The lady brought out my phone, and told me since I was upgrading and not starting a new line, I HAD to activate it in-store (Uh what? What if I'd shipped it to my house?) we talked about the screen size and she kept comparing it to the iPad Minis by us and I kept panicking that I got the wrong size. Walking out of the store I just kept taking it out of my pocket and putting it back, trying to figure out the best positioning for my hands, blergh! My friend that came with me was like, "You have huge hands! Don't worry you'll get used to it."

She was right! After spending the day with it I fuckin LOVE my 6 Plus. Typing on it is a dream, the keyboard is the perfect size, the Reachabikity function is super helpful, the screen is BEAUTIFUL, and though I've only taken one picture the camera is amazing. And the slow motion video feature!! Oh man.

Top Bottom