• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

pesda

Banned
I succumbed. Fuckin Apple. It won't come in for another few weeks. Is this thing worth it? My gut is telling me it's just a bigger version of my iphone 5s with rounded corners. If my gut is correct tell me now.

I succumbed. Fuckin Apple. It won't come in for another few weeks. Is this thing worth it? My gut is telling me it's just a bigger version of my iphone 5s with rounded corners. If my gut is correct tell me now.

Have you tried one in store?

I wasn't too sure about the 6 plus I ordered a few days ago so I gave it a shot in a store and absolutely loved it.

Well I don't have one yet but besides from the new design and bigger / better quality screen you also get a better camera, faster processor and a new feature with Apple Pay, so there's that

Have you tried one in store?

I wasn't too sure about the 6 plus I ordered a few days ago so I gave it a shot in a store and absolutely loved it.

Yea, I held one last night at best buy. Fantastic device. Fit perfectly in my hand. Just needs a case for good grip. Now if only att would ship my phone....

Ughh having problems here. Can't seem to get the actual "phone" part of this phone to work. I have service and almost full LTE coverage but can't make or receive calls. It just hangs with no dial tone then says call failed. Can't send or receive texts either unless it's through iMessage. Also it won't even let me touch the voice mail "icon" in the Phone app. I restored and apparently activated the phone correctly so what am I missing here? This is not my first iPhone but is the first time I've ran into this. And I've completely wiped my old phone like I always do.

Any ideas oh wise ones??

anyone, please? ive restarted the phone, turned on/off cellular on my phone, nothing is working, all i have right now is a glorified ipod touch.. :(

jwluther

I've got the Spigen GLAS.tR on mine and it doesn't look terrible. It's definitely more noticeable than I'd want it to be, and there is bubbling around the edges because of the curved glass, but it's not a super big issue.

CW324K2l.jpg

I did, however, take off my case because of the added bulk. Think I'm going to go naked this generation. It just feels so good.

dork

Banned
Quick 2 second review from me for an iPhone 6.

Size is perfect. I can't imagine the plus with 1 hand because even i am having a little issue with 1 hand on the 6. But its great.

Same as poster above I was going to get a small case, but i dont want to lose the thinness

TimFL

By App data, you don't mean the apps themselves. Just the saved data they had stored locally?

Yes, things like your log in data or savegames. Some apps store heavy content though (AFAIK the dict.cc App stores the downloaded dictionary data which can be 200mb+ for a languageX to languageY dictionary). You can review all stored App data in the iCloud menu though (and turn off individual apps from being backed up, like facebook or twitter that seem to store timeline/news feed/images because I otherwise can't explain why facebook would need 100mb+).

Vyer

anyone, please? ive restarted the phone, turned on/off cellular on my phone, nothing is working, all i have right now is a glorified ipod touch.. :(

if there's no problem with your service/account with carrier, I'd say you may have a dud. I'd take it to your carrier (if that's where you got it) or an Apple Store and get them to switch it out. If it's the SIM the carrier would get you a new one, if it's the phone Apple will do the same.

pesda

Banned
Well I don't have one yet but besides from the new design and bigger / better quality screen you also get a better camera, faster processor and a new feature with Apple Pay, so there's that
Is the camera nokia quality? I had a nokia icon for a week, but the thing was too heavy and big. The camera was amazing though.

Smidget

I'm A little bummed. I got my iPhone 6 and It had a dead pixel so I swapped it out at the store and got home and check out the new one and it has a dead pixel also. I really don't feel like doing exchange game right now.

Going to start the game this morning. No appointments available until next week so hopefully we can get priority since it's an issue....

Was yours a white pixel or literally a dead pixel (black)?

Vyer

if there's no problem with your service/account with carrier, I'd say you may have a dud. I'd take it to your carrier (if that's where you got it) or an Apple Store and get them to switch it out. If it's the SIM the carrier would get you a new one, if it's the phone Apple will do the same.

EDIT: of course if you bought the phone from a carrier they should probably be able to do the exchange for you too

DoubleTap

Try reinstering the sim card? Also reset your network connections in settings. If those don't work time for an exchange.

With apple care isn't it 99.00 and then 80.00 to fix a cracked screen? That's an expensive "case."
I've never gotten apple care really but you can't put a price on the naked feels. You're assuming you'll need to use the apple care. It's just for peace of mind.

People with their ugly ass big cases ruining one of the best things about the phone, the thinness.

Kurdel

Banned
I go naked without the Apple care.

I went naked with the 4 and scratched the camera to shit.

I went naked with the 5, champhered hellpocalypse, my phone looks like shit now. I dropped it at least 30 times getting out of the car on the asphalt, and the screen never cracked, only hairline scratches.

I will go naked with the 6, but I took Apple care this time.

MicH

I've always used my iPhones without a case (3GS and 4S). So far I've never managed to crack the screen! (though they both got some scratches on the back and sides, but none on the screens themselves). I want to use the 6 naked, but it's just a little too thin and I'm afraid I'll drop it much more. So I'll probably go with a case this time around - I'm thinking Apples black leather case

TheZink

Going to start the game this morning. No appointments available until next week so hopefully we can get priority since it's an issue....

Was yours a white pixel or literally a dead pixel (black)?
Black on both
I called AppleCare before I went to the store and they called and set it up for me because there was an appointment until next Wednesday.

The Mule

Upgraded from a 4S to a 6 last night and my first impression is it is too big. It feels so unwieldy after using the 4S for all these years. It's really annoying to have so much stuff unreachable at the top of the screen without awkwardly shuffling the phone in your hand so the tip of your thumb can reach. The reachability option in Settings is a clunky solution to that problem. Why create the problem in the first place only to implement a band aid solution for it?

No doubt the screen, thinner form factor, and material and build quality are typical Apple level standards. It's a really well made phone. But I just can't accept these larger screens as a good decision for Apple or the smartphone industry at large. To be honest, I didn't even like the increase in height for the 5. For me the 4S has the perfect screen size, I just wanted a thinner version of that with more power. Can't imagine what the 6+ must be like.

I like that they at least moved the power/sleep button to the side, which makes even more sense now that the height has increased so much.

I know Touch ID wasn't introduced with the 6, but I'm really liking that feature.

TimFL

Does anyone have anything to say about battery life? I know its been only a day, but what are your first impressions on it?

Good. A huge jump compared to my 4S. I had it charged to 100% 26 hours ago and it's currently sitting at 28% charge (~4-5h usage, rest is standby). Keep in mind that I had 1h of music playback via bluetooth in my car, downloaded several apps & songs, went to the local wine village event in my city (constant service drop) for 4 hours and messed around with a lot of the new features (240fps slow-mo videos etc.). Of course I also used a lot of apps like WhatsApp and did roughly 10 phone calls with around 1-5 mins call duration each.

I'm now debating when to charge it, I'm no real expert when it comes to best battery charge practices. Do I let it turn off, charge it at critical level (below 10% but above 1%?) or just charge it when I feel like doing it/it is convenient for me to do (around 10-20%?).

EDIT: of course if you bought the phone from a carrier they should probably be able to do the exchange for you too

no luck on resetting network settings or taking sim out and putting back in. so annoying, sound more like a hardware issue or carrier issue?

btw i had it delivered to me yesterday through Apple..

Upgraded from a 4S to a 6 last night and my first impression is it is too big. It feels so unwieldy after using the 4S for all these years. It's really annoying to have so much stuff unreachable at the top of the screen without awkwardly shuffling the phone in your hand so the tip of your thumb can reach. The reachability option in Settings is a clunky solution to that problem. Why create the problem in the first place only to implement a band aid solution for it?

No doubt the screen, thinner form factor, and material and build quality are typical Apple level standards. It's a really well made phone. But I just can't accept these larger screens as a good decision for Apple or the smartphone industry at large. To be honest, I didn't even like the increase in height for the 5. For me the 4S has the perfect screen size, I just wanted a thinner version of that with more power. Can't imagine what the 6+ must be like.

I like that they at least moved the power/sleep button to the side, which makes even more sense now that the height has increased so much.

I know Touch ID wasn't introduced with the 6, but I'm really liking that feature.

You'll get used to it in a week. The larger screen isn't really that much of a problem once you use it for a bit and start naturally shifting your phone in your hand for what you want to do. I feel for the small screen users though. Apple was the last producer to hold on to it and now their abandoning it. Really I think there's a small chance of an "iPhone mini" next year, but I just out don't count on it sense it doesn't make any business sense.

Vyer

no luck on resetting network settings or taking sim out and putting back in. so annoying, sound more like a hardware issue or carrier issue?

btw i had it delivered to me yesterday through Apple..

You said it activated fine, but just in case I would go to your carrier first, tell them about the problems, and see what happens with a new SIM. It would probably be the fastest option. If no luck there, it's probably the phone. you'd need to schedule a time for the Apple Store and they'll switch out the phone. If you don't have a store near you could call support and see what they tell you.

kaskade

I like the rounded glass on the screen. I'm it adds a cool effect when looking at it. Kind of hard to explain but it's sort of a 3d effect.

Mononoke

Banned
That would be awesome and trollsome

They should really give us a bit more info about our order status and etc .. Give updates and such .. Here in my area their 4g sats are not really constructed much yet ... Sadly :( freakin hawaii ;_; there's only a few 4g enabled area in some parts here too

4-6 weeks is too long :(

What sucks is, they actually charged me the full amount. Not just pending, but full on posted. They took my money, and then can't tell me when I'll get my device. What if it's longer than 4-6 weeks?

rocK`

Banned
Had a pre order with AT&T. Ordered two minutes into pre ordering. Didn't get it on Friday, no tracking number in sight. Went to the Apple store online and found my phone in a store an hour away. Hope it goes through

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Going to go to an Apple store and check out the demo models; hopefully they have Pluses out on the floor. I'm really concerned about the Plus just being too big for me and might just pick up a 6 instead of waiting now.

So att messaged me to tell me to come in store for a new SIM after I put the sim from my 5s into the 6+. everything seems to be working fine though. Wtf are they talking about?
I did the same thing with my iPhone 5 (verizon). When I log into my VZW account there is an option to order a 'NFC SIM'. After doing a little research it sounds like there are newer SIMs that are required for NFC to work.

Such a crazy transition from a 4s to the 6, but I'm loving it so far. Screen looks amazing, the overall thinness makes it a much nicer fit in my pockets, not sure how I lived without the TouchID and the "hey siri" feature is both hilarious and so useful. Only problem I'm having so far is with the home button. Sometimes it makes a clicking noise which makes it feel kind of cheap which is weird considering the rest of the phone feels great.

Wonder how long lines will be today? I walked past the main Boston apple store around 4-430pm yesterday and the walk-in line was around the block, even longer than the initial launch line.

I've got the Spigen GLAS.tR on mine and it doesn't look terrible. It's definitely more noticeable than I'd want it to be, and there is bubbling around the edges because of the curved glass, but it's not a super big issue.

CW324K2l.jpg

I did, however, take off my case because of the added bulk. Think I'm going to go naked this generation. It just feels so good.
This would drive me crazy, it looks like you've not removed a plastic tear-off. If you're willing to go naked on the back, why bother with this on the front? I'd expect the front to be less likely to scratch up.

Bgamer90

Banned
A decent number of iPhone 6 Pluses in stores in my area. Called AT&T Premier to see if I could cancel my preorder. What do you think they said? C'mon... Guess!

"Sorry sir but you can't cancel".

I can't cancel my preorder even though I STILL don't have a tracking number. BS. Will never ever order another device from AT&T again. Would leave them completely if it wasn't for data plan reasons. Absolutely terrible.

antigoon

I'm really surprised by how much I've been using reachability. I came from another 4.7-inch phone and never once thought I needed it but it can be convenient at times.

Top Bottom