• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Mononoke

Banned
I think the 5s model looks and feels more premium than the new models.

A lot of people think the 5s looks more premium. Personally, I agree. But I also didn't love the squared/tapered off design. For me it's like: physically 5s looks better (looks more premium). But I prefer the 6 design in terms of how it feels in my hand (how light/thin it is, and how it's curved).

I went to a local store to hold the 6 demos, so maybe my mind will change when they eventually ship mine. But I personally liked the 6 a lot.

BFIB

There's a dead pixel in the bottom middle of my screen. Willing myself to just not see it since I really don't want to play the "hunt for a perfect phone" game.

The light leaking out around the rim (near mute toggle) is more concerning though.

Apple stores have replacement units ready if your near one.

MicH

I think the 5s model looks and feels more premium than the new models.
I haven't seen there iPhone 6 in real life yet, but I really, really like the 5. As of right now, I like it better as well.

Also, I don't understand why so many use screen protectors on the iPhone. The screen is really hard to scratch, from my experience at least. I've never used a screen protector on my 4S and the screen has no scratches at all!

MercuryLS

Banned
My impressions of the hardware after using the 6 a bit more:

- The best designed phone I've ever used. Full stop. The materials, finish, rounded design, thickness, weight, etc. Touch ID is very cool and I can't wait to use for it Apple Pay, it is very clicky though (far clicker than any pre-iPhone 5 phones).

- It's a bit big though and using it one handed is definitely quite a bit harder without using reachability. Not impossible but you will have to stretch that thumb a bit if you have above average sized hands.

- The screen is the star of the show, even if it has the same PPI as the iPhone 4/5, it's got better color reproduction, better contrast and better viewing angles. Comparing them side by side, it's instantly noticeable. The screen feels even closer to the cover glass than ever before and the rounded edges of the cover glass makes the screen "pop" more.

- Speaking of the rounded screen edges, it is by far the best aspect of the design. It makes edge swiping a pleasure. Covering up the phone with a case ruins this as the lip of the case gets in the way of edge swipes. Seriously, if you use a case try taking it off and using it for a while. I'm going with AC+ and no case, this is the first iPhone I feel really shouldn't be used with one as it gets in the way of the usability of the device.

- Size is at the upper limit of what I'll accept with a phone. It's got a nice big screen but isn't unwieldily.

m0dus

Banned
There's a dead pixel in the bottom middle of my screen. Willing myself to just not see it since I really don't want to play the "hunt for a perfect phone" game.

The light leaking out around the rim (near mute toggle) is more concerning though.

Also all the replacement phones are new, not refurbished. So now is the time.

I've never had a dead pixel on any of my iPhones so I wouldn't be too worried about getting another phone with one. Even if you did just show it to them and make them replace it again.

TheZink

There with you man. I'm going for my second replacement. I've had two with dead pixels already. 😑

Smidget

Trying to set up an appointment for today for my wife's phone! :/ White pixel (stuck I guess?) tried some flashing colors and no luck.

Hilarious. My 64gb 6 had been sitting at my office since noon yesterday. Just picked it up this morning and no time to set it up today. Will be rocking with my old trusty 4 for one more day.

kaskade

I think I'm finally getting used to the phone now. It's feeling more like "my" phone. I always have a weird adjustment period with a new device.

TimFL

So how to charge? Let it turn off (AFAIK one should only do that once a month to calibrate the battery percentage), charge when it's below 10% or charge whenever one feels like doing so (20-30%, 10-20% etc.).

I usually charged my iP4S battery every night (kept it plugged in over night) and the battery life decreased drastically after a few months. Don't want to risk doing the same here too.

So how to charge? Let it turn off (AFAIK one should only do that once a month to calibrate the battery percentage), charge when it's below 10% or charge whenever one feels like doing so (20-30%, 10-20% etc.).

I usually charged my iP4S battery every night (kept it plugged in over night) and the battery life decreased drastically after a few months. Don't want to risk doing the same here too.
Apple's official recommendation is always to do a full discharge once a month to calibrate, other than that, the expectation is that plugging in is ok. All cell phones now are smart charging, they should stop pulling in power once it's full, so leaving it plugged in isn't a problem.

njean777

A decent number of iPhone 6 Pluses in stores in my area. Called AT&T Premier to see if I could cancel my preorder. What do you think they said? C'mon... Guess!

"Sorry sir but you can't cancel".

I can't cancel my preorder even though I STILL don't have a tracking number. BS. Will never ever order another device from AT&T again. Would leave them completely if it wasn't for data plan reasons. Absolutely terrible.

They let me cancel no problem, may want to try chattingon their site instead.

I think I'm finally getting used to the phone now. It's feeling more like "my" phone. I always have a weird adjustment period with a new device.

ive had the phone for a day and im still getting ajusted to it. I wasnt planning on buying an iphone 6 at all i was going to get the note 4 instead it was an impulse buy.

Sorry to ask again, but is there a way to sync my iTunes to my 6 without erasing everything? Does "Erase and Sync" only delete my songs, or everything in the phone?

Also, is there a way to do a backup where my music is backed up as well?

Anyone with a 6 Plus having issues with getting the homescreen to rotate into landscape. Works fine in apps like Safari, but when I rotate my 6 Plus on the home screen the orientation doesn't change. I checked to make sure that orientation lock was off. Any suggestions?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
How is the 6 Plus for reading books and comics? I'm thinking of selling my iPad mini and using the 6 plus as my go-to reading device.

Majine

Banned
I'm probably gonna pick up a 32 GB 5S instead. For the portability and the fact that Apple Pay probably isn't coming to my country for awhile.

Furyous

ARe there any impressions on the 6/6+ from people with small hands? If I move up then I refuse to so without 1080p. However, I have small hands. I need 128 GB either way and that's my struggle.

I always thought AT&T Next was a bad deal, but looking at my bill and the costs, it seems like it's actually a pretty good idea. I didn't realize you pay $0 for the device up front. And you get a discount on your mobile share plan...

Someone talk me down from this?

I always thought AT&T Next was a bad deal, but looking at my bill and the costs, it seems like it's actually a pretty good idea. I didn't realize you pay $0 for the device up front. And you get a discount on your mobile share plan...

I pulled the trigger on it and I'm paying ~$15 less a month than I was for my old plan and my new plan has better features.

NekoFever

So my regular 6, which was originally stated as coming on 2 October, turned up this morning. It was still in China when I checked the shipment status yesterday morning. Yay!

Husker86

Anyone with a 6 Plus having issues with getting the homescreen to rotate into landscape. Works fine in apps like Safari, but when I rotate my 6 Plus on the home screen the orientation doesn't change. I checked to make sure that orientation lock was off. Any suggestions?
I don't have a 6 Plus, but you don't have zoomed view turned on do you? Someone else said you need to be on standard for homescreen rotation to work.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any really in-depth reviews about the differences between the 6 and 6 Plus out yet? Particularly interested in reading about performance.

My wife saw the white 6 I got yesterday and decided that she wants to upgrade sooner than later (was planning for next year). I'm happy with the 6, but I think I may just pass it on to her and pick up the 6 Plus. She's happy to wait until they become readily available in stores. Hmm... decisions, decisions...

nikos

What kind of battery life are you guys seeing on the iPhone 6?

This morning, I was at 6% with 6hrs 19min of usage and 18 hours 32 minutes of standby.

Usage was varied between web, music, twitch, YouTube, gaming. Brightness also varied between the brightest and dimmest setting.

Bgamer90

Banned
They let me cancel no problem, may want to try chattingon their site instead.

Rep said that I should get an update on my order tomorrow. If the update still says October then I'm going to do that and (hopefully) get one via retail.

From the way it sounds, it seems like even though the 6 Pluses are a bit rare that very few are getting them -- especially the 128 GB version (which is what I want); at least here in my area. So yeah, we'll see how it goes.

mr stroke

It's the same price as paying the full off contract price and you skip the $40 activation fee. I was gonna pay full $849 price but they convinced me to go NEXT since they waive the fee and you can payoff the full phone price anytime

ARe there any impressions on the 6/6+ from people with small hands? If I move up then I refuse to so without 1080p. However, I have small hands. I need 128 GB either way and that's my struggle.
Reachability helps, but I'm still having somewhat of a hard time using the regular 6 with one hand after using a 4S for two years. It's not impossible, just need to find the sweet spot to hold it.

Tried the 6+ in stores, definitely too big for one handed use but I didn't think it was as massive as some are making it out to be.

Top Bottom