• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Guess Who

Banned
Well yes, I guess, but don't other phones just render at straight 1080p and still look great? Feels like a waste of processing power, but then again I haven't seen it in person yet

The problem is that iOS still isn't fully resolution and DPI independent, and 1920x1080 would make things too small with 2x icons or too large with 3x icons. So they decided on this hacky method.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Is the camera nokia quality? I had a nokia icon for a week, but the thing was too heavy and big. The camera was amazing though.
Easily up there with Nokia's flag ships, but remember that most of their flagships have larger sensors and apertures. Technology can't fight/overcome physics. With that being said, for printouts and scaled to similar sizes, Apple pics come pretty dang close to Nokia pics.

badb0y

I looked at some videos of the Note 4 because I was considering switching and nope.

Why does the browser in Android phones look like it's stuttering. Like, it feels like 30 FPS vs 60 FPS. I can't stand that shit especially since I'm browsing 80% of the time I'm on the phone.

So my little story. I "upgraded" to an LG G3 after hearing the camera was so wonderful and the screen was so dramatically improved (resolution) approximately 1 week ago.

I had an iPhone 5 for 2 years on contract and Best Buy was offering $225 trade-in. I thought, welp, I bet this trade value drops when the iPhone 6 hits, so I better get in on this awesome deal.

Hyperbole inc? But the phone was overly hot after just web browsing and the battery drain was almost real time firing all those extra pixels. Screen was really dim, really quite boring to look at even compared to my Father's Galaxy S5. I experienced web browser crashes where all I was doing was entering a search into Amazon.com's search bar. The phone was seemingly what everyone warns about Android, but I couldn't possibly imagine still existed in flagship models.

Yea, so I was super bumming about even getting rid of the iPhone 5, and guess what, you can't "un-trade" the phone back (I get it, it's like I sold it to Best Buy, I didn't exchange it for the G3 ... still I was gutted).

I figured no chance in hell of snagging a 16gb iPhone 6 in the return window so I figured I'd end up paying Apple tax on storage (a crime against humanity really), which was a bummer but meh, yay for storage.

Well wouldn't you know it, there was 1 random 16gb space grey phone sitting around at a little Best Buy mobile store in the mall after I got finished up with work yesterday ... snatched that thing up right quick ... and boom back home.

I'll probably regret my decision when I see the Galaxy Edge in person, but I'm pretty satisfied right now. Great phone. I hope we see some cool games taking advantage of the whole "Metal" thing and the juiced up hardware.

I'm trying to hunt down a good full body protection solution that doesn't change the phone's footprint. Thinking of official apple leather case + tempered glass screen protector. Might go with one of those stick on full body protectors. Might just get a nice leather pouch to slip it in and out of. Ultimately I just want to put it in my pocket with a set of keys and not worry about it getting scratched. Pretty much the only time my iPhone 5 got any battle scars was this scenario. Only difference was I had a killer accidental damage package on the 5 which meant $0 deductible, no claim limits (oh how I miss the old Black Tie protection plan from Best Buy).

Just replaced my 6 plus with a brand new 6 plus due to a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. I also found out they are sold out of 6 plus for sale and only have replacement units in stock. They only have 10 replacement units left

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I always thought AT&T Next was a bad deal, but looking at my bill and the costs, it seems like it's actually a pretty good idea. I didn't realize you pay $0 for the device up front. And you get a discount on your mobile share plan...

Someone talk me down from this?
Next is a GREAT deal, in that it's a 24 month interest free loan. The single down side that I can tell is that with a full 5 lines you could "upgrade" all 5 lines on a regular/old plan every two years. On Mobile Share Value and Next you can only have 4 "loans" out at one time. A 5th line would either have to wait or be bought outright.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
The rounding of the front glass into the side of the body feels so incredible. Swiping from the side of the screen or off the screen just has a completely different (and better) feel to it.

So nice.

I looked at some videos of the Note 4 because I was considering switching and nope.

Why does the browser in Android phones look like it's stuttering. Like, it feels like 30 FPS vs 60 FPS. I can't stand that shit especially since I'm browsing 80% of the time I'm on the phone.

its probbley just the display model my note 3 doesnt stutter while browsing the web.

How does Amazon prime and Hulu look on the 6+? Hulu has always had terrible quality up until the 5S, wondering if that's changed.

It's currently upscaled so no bueno. Gotta wait for a proper iOS8 update to the apps and even then I hope there's some way to do pixel perfect 1080p rather than upscale to 1242p and then downsample back to 1080p.

First day using my 6 in the wild, I still feel weird walking around and trying to use it with one hand - like I'm gunna drop it. Also, the Reachability thing is a life saver.

Overall, I'm loving it tho. Coming from 4S.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the camera nokia quality? I had a nokia icon for a week, but the thing was too heavy and big. The camera was amazing though.

bear in mind that the 6 is the same size as the lumia 930. It is thinner but height/width are the same. So if you thought the 930 was too big you may feel the same about the 6.

I wonder what this means for the future. Are Apple going to move away from the 4" models and stick to 4"7 and above? They wouldn't ostracise so many would they? Fuck, it would push me away :(

I wonder what this means for the future. Are Apple going to move away from the 4" models and stick to 4"7 and above? They wouldn't ostracise so many would they? Fuck, it would push me away :(

And yet, the 5S is still the fastest 4" phone you can buy because every other vendor puts garbage they rooted out of the 2011 dumpster into their 4" models.

Clipse

I think they'll have the 5s (8GB only) free on contract next year when the 6s/6s+ is released. 4" models will be dead when the iPhone 7 comes out in 2016.

Yesterday I stopped by the Apple store after work to get applecare on it asap and they actually had 6's in stock for purchase...weird

no 6+ of course

I think they'll have the 5s (8GB only) free on contract next year when the 6s/6s+ is released. 4" models will be dead when the iPhone 7 comes out in 2016.

I think Apple might just keep the 4" one around.

Went to the flagship Bell store today and got a different story than what I got yesterday. He said they had 49 orders for Plus and only received 2 in. Yesterday, at another location, I was told that they had received plenty of Plus versions in but the demand was so high that they went fast.

Both locations seemed confident about weekly shipments coming in fast with good amounts though.

Also, I tried the 6 Plus again today. Yesterday I wasn't worried about the size. Today it felt a little big. LOL. I'm not sure what to think. I will keep reading impressions from people who have it while I wait for mine.

Yesterday I stopped by the Apple store after work to get applecare on it asap and they actually had 6's in stock for purchase...weird

Nothing weird about it. There are plenty of 6s everywhere. The line at the Apple Store wasn't event hat big today. Filled mostly with people waiting to get a 6. Everyone wanting a 6 Plus was being told the chance of any coming in today was slim.

kaskade

Slightly off topic from the phone but Verizon is pretty damn awesome so far. I had 2g on T-Mobile everywhere in my ruralish area so it's weird having a solid LTE connection basically all the time. I don't even know what to do with all this service. It's weird being able to take full potential of my device.

knicks

Sold my 32GB iPhone 5 for $225 to Best Buy. This excludes the charger/lightning cable/box. Just the raw phone, and it was far from being in prestine condition. I am in shock to be honest. I really don't understand there ROI here, but I'll take it.
KuGsj.gif

Sold my 32GB iPhone 5 for $225 to Best Buy. This excludes the charger/lightning cable/box. Just the raw phone, and it was far from being in prestine condition. I am in shock to be honest. I really don't understand there ROI here, but I'll take it.
KuGsj.gif

$225 is lower than what you would get if you sold it yourself. The resell value for iPhones is high.

I may be able to sell my 5S for around $400 by using Orchard in Canada.

Coop

I just picked up my Iphone 6 plus, The whole process took maybe 10 minutes

Feel bad for all those people waiting in line, the line was long

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
do any stores have a demo phone out?

Apple Stores definitely have demo units on display. Was just at the local mall checking them out. Definitely sticking with my Plus pre-order; even in my small hands, the phone didn't feel too heavy and really didn't seem as gargantuan to me as it did when I saw someone else's yesterday.

There was a pretty big queue of people outside the store, too. The line was even longer than the people waiting, following the launch lines, of the previous models. Crazy stuff.

KuGsj.gif

How? Best Buy Canada is screwing me :(

APPLE IPHONE 5 32GB
MODEL: APPLE IPHONE 5 32GB
CONDITION: GOOD
WORKING BATTERY INCLUDED: YES - MAIN BATTERY INCLUDED
USER LOCK/MASTER RESET CODE CLEARED (OR SET TO 1234): YES
ESN / SERIAL NUMBER IS VISIBLE: YES
WATER OR MOISTURE DAMAGE: NO
CURRENT CARRIER: Rogers
Estimated Value:
$130.00

I was swinging back and forth of the plus but when you hold it its not as big as people might assume and it almost feels like you owe it to yourself a consumer to buy the plus because it's an all encompassing device. If you want your phone for limited use through the day theb 6 is fine

Just moved to KY, and thinking of switching to T-Mobile. Verizon has gotten too pricey, and there are no verizon places around here. It is all run by Bluegrass Cellular. We are on Extended LTE in the area, and T-Mobile appears to be strong around here.
I am just wondering how their services are elsewhere. I hear both great and horrible stories about T-Mobile.

Any ideas?

knicks

$225 is lower than what you would get if you sold it yourself. The resell value for iPhones is high.

I may be able to sell my 5S for around $400 by using Orchard in Canada.

Note: It's an iPhone 5 not a 5S.. I put an ad on craigslist and was only getting replies for $200.

It also wasn't in amazing condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon...1435810975?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item1c46236c9f

That looks much better than what I had to offer. And after shipping and ebay deductions, it'll be even less.

KevinG

Just ordered my Dodocase Durables wallet for the 6 Plus. Excited to be going naked (essentially) for another generation.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Anybody know a Good place for 1920x1200 vertical video game wallpapers?

Enfinit

If I went with an AT&T Next plan, would I lose my grandfathered unlimited data?
Yes, and that's exactly what I had to do yesterday. I had a grandfathered unlimited data plan, but the Next plans only have increments of data usage ranging from 2 GB per month, to 4 GB, etc. Went with the 4 GB.

Yes, and that's exactly what I had to do yesterday. I had a grandfathered unlimited data plan, but the Next plans only have increments of data usage ranging from 2 GB per month, to 4 GB, etc. Went with the 4 GB.

How much do you save per month as a result

That's my question - do I save anything? Right now, with my corporate discount, my bill works out to around $70 a month.

Think I might stop at an AT&T store today and have 'em run the number. Based on my usage, I'd need either a 6GB or 10GB plan.

Had iPhones since the 3g and also bought a OnePlus One a few months back to mess around with Android and a larger screen. Couldn't be happier with the 6 Plus I bought. My original intention was to use both the OnePlus and iPhone, but I think I'll be looking to unload the OnePlus and only go the iPhone route.

Top Bottom