• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think they'll have the 5s (8GB only) free on contract next year when the 6s/6s+ is released. 4" models will be dead when the iPhone 7 comes out in 2016.

Think so too. Even 'compact' androids are 4.5-4.7". I think 4" is dead as a premium phone size and will be left to entry products

Deku Tree

My wife's iPhone 6 got like 5 hours of "usage" (not standby) on its first full charge. What kind of battery life are other people getting on a 6 or a 6+?

So here's my question.

I originally jailbroke my iphone 4 on iOS5. Then I upgraded to iOS 7. I'm not sure if the 'jailbreak' data is still on my phone, though; several people have told me that if I upgraded that data would have been scrapped, but I'm not sure.

My question is: if I restore my current iPhone 4 to an iPhone 6, could that jailbreak data (if it's there) be moved along with my other information? I do not want to have it taking up space if it is.

I'm guessing the only way this would happen is if iTunes was backing up jailbreak info, correct?

numble

I think they'll have the 5s (8GB only) free on contract next year when the 6s/6s+ is released. 4" models will be dead when the iPhone 7 comes out in 2016.

You think the lineup really would be:
5S $0
6 $99
6+ $199
6S $199
6S+ $299

I can see them doing:
6C $0
6 $99
6S $199
6S+ $299

Marco1

been using my grey 6 all day after being on android for the last 2 years and absolutely loving this phone.
I think I'll stick with ios for a long time.
The blue leather case is really nice but I think I'd prefer the silicone one yet they don't do it in dark blue.

OmegaFax

So here's my question.

I originally jailbroke my iphone 4 on iOS5. Then I upgraded to iOS 7. I'm not sure if the 'jailbreak' data is still on my phone, though; several people have told me that if I upgraded that data would have been scrapped, but I'm not sure.

My question is: if I restore my current iPhone 4 to an iPhone 6, could that jailbreak data (if it's there) be moved along with my other information? I do not want to have it taking up space if it is.

I'm guessing the only way this would happen is if iTunes was backing up jailbreak info, correct?

If you restore from iCloud. No.

In the past, I've restored iTunes backups and some preferences for jail broken apps like iFinder were retained and hidden in the device.

Enfinit

How much do you save per month as a result

That's my question - do I save anything? Right now, with my corporate discount, my bill works out to around $70 a month.

Think I might stop at an AT&T store today and have 'em run the number. Based on my usage, I'd need either a 6GB or 10GB plan.

I'm not sure what the exact specifics are with my old grandfather'd plan (originated from the iPhone 3GS, I believe), but I was paying roughly $90 a month. Again, I don't remember my allotted minutes, but I do believe I had unlimited data and messaging. I also had some international aspects associated with mine because I frequently travel between Florida and France.

Anyways, I changed my plan with AT&T Next, and within that I'm currently on the "Mobile Share Value Plan 4GB." I have unlimited messaging, 450 minutes with rollover (which I believe is what I had with the grandfather'd unlimited data plan - which is fine because I never went over my minutes, and with rollover, my minutes are nearly almost 10,000 at this point), as well as 4GB of data per month (according to AT&T's website, I average roughly 3.5 GB's a month of data). With the mobile share plan, you also allow the iPhone 6 to be a mobile hotspot, which previously you had to pay extra for. This all comes out to roughly $90 a month.

So I'm virtually paying the same as I was before, but I have 4 GB of data a month instead of unlimited, however I now have mobile hotspot capabilities. For me, the data wasn't necessarily a problem because I rarely exceeded 4 GB of data anyways.

But, the reason I went with the AT&T Next was because it allowed me to upgrade my phone annually. I went with the silver 64 GB iPhone 6, and with AT&T Next, it's roughly an added $30 to my bill per month. You're eligible to receive an upgrade after you've payed off 60% of the phone (roughly ten months), and I look forward to getting the new iPhone iteration every year.

So all in all, I'm paying a total of roughly $120 a month.

Some other tidbits of information:

- When I changed my plan from my grandfather'd plan to the Mobile Share Plan, AT&T covered my last bill (which came in the form of $100 AT&T credit, which was applied to my bill). Which was sweet.

- I traded in my iPhone 5 (one that was eligible for the battery replacement program, which I never did) at the Apple store for $205.

- The $205 was given to me as store credit, so that covered the ~$50 phone taxes/fees, $45 black leather iPhone 6 case, and $100 2-year Apple Care protection plan.

At the end of the day, I got a 64GB iPhone 6, with leather case, and 2-year Apple Care Protection for a grand total of $1.57 out of pocket. However, my cell phone bill is now ~$120 a month.

If you're wondering what you'll save, there's a ton a different options with AT&T, and even though I did all my carrier plans through the Apple store and not an AT&T store, they were more than willing to find me a plan that was suitable. I'm happy with what I have now, but that's just me!

Dany

Banned
This phone is so fucking smooth! The rounded edges feel so nice, it's going to take abit to get used to from the 5 but so far I'm loving it. Touch id id finicky though

Of where can I get some good wallpaper?

Whogie

I'm having pretty big buyer's remorse with the 6+. I might run out to see how the smaller one is and maybe exchange it.

Enfinit

Debating whether to get a case

What is the consensus on the Apple leather case
I had some store credit left on my iPhone 5 trade-in, so I was able to splooge on a case for the iPhone 6.

The only ones they have currently are the silicon cases and the leather cases. I'm not sure what the silicon case is, but the leather ones run about $45. I was able to try them both out, and while the silicon case has more grip to it, I went with the black leather case.

The leather case, despite having less grip, just feels nicer in the hand, and it feels more durable. It grips the phone really well, and it's very thin. It covers enough around the edges and it is raised enough over the camera to where, if you drop it, it'll do its job well. Plus, one difference between the silicon and the leather cases, is that the leather case is lined with felt on the interior.

I like it a lot, and I recommend it.

Camp Lo

Banned
I'm having pretty big buyer's remorse with the 6+. I might run out to see how the smaller one is and maybe exchange it.

Holding both it was a no-brainer on the 6. It's almost the same size as my LG G2. Holding the 6+ was like holding the old Kindle.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I just tried going to the Apple Store to get Apple care in south lake (dallas) and the line was around the block! What the heck? The phone came out yesterday, what are people in line for?

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Hmm...plugged the 6+ into the car USB port and was losing charge as I was driving?

Not fully convinced it actually was charging despite the indicator. The time between the plug in and the indication is a few seconds off.

Wonder if you get more juice or a more adequate test using the cigarette port thing with a charger?

MercuryLS

Banned
I just headed to the Apple Store in square one to return my leather case and get AppleCare + for the phone. Still a sizeable line of about 50 people. I'm pretty sure pluses are still sold out. I gave the plus another spin today, I can now see the appeal. It's still not for me because it's just too large overall, but it was really nice to watch videos on. I consider it more of a tablet with phone capabilities, if that's what you're looking for it it's great.

I was in an Apple store for about an hour today, and I still cannot decide between the 6 and 6 Plus.

6 Plus can't be used with one hand, period. Reaching all the way to the far left of the screen feels very difficult and unnatural, and using the keyboard with one thumb is close to impossible unless you have gargantuan hands. But that said, I found using the regular 6 with one hand to be a bit fiddly too (but possible). I guess I'm just accustomed to by iPhone 4S. So it's best to use two hands for either one, and I found the 6 Plus to be the more comfortable of the two when using two hands. And the keyboard on the 6 Plus is amazing if using two hands. Because of the sizes of the keys, I could type quickly and accurately.

I own a 4S and an iPad 2, and I'm probably going to sell both to get a 6 or 6 Plus. The 6 Plus would be a nice happy medium, but I have a hard time coming to terms with how big it is as a phone. It would certainly make reading and playing games better than the 6, but it strikes me as a bit cumbersome for a device that we're used to being small and convenient. Holding it up as if to make a call felt weird.

Grah! The more I think about it, the harder I find it to decide! Help me out, GAF? How did you guys decide?

Oh, and is there any possibility of app devs going back and making some iPad apps compatible with the 6 Plus? Or future apps being compatible with 6 Plus, but not 6? That could sway me.

Majine

Banned
I still don't get what the lines on the back are for. It's there on the top and bottom of the phone, but the NFC is only for the top of the phones...

If it's purely cosmetic, it's unusually ugly for an Apple device.

NekoFever

Man, I've been missing out by not having a 4G phone. Just ran a speed test and got almost double my home DSL speed. I didn't even know they'd rolled out 4G in this town.

Sold my 32GB iPhone 5 for $225 to Best Buy. This excludes the charger/lightning cable/box. Just the raw phone, and it was far from being in prestine condition. I am in shock to be honest. I really don't understand there ROI here, but I'll take it.
KuGsj.gif

Wow. I was there today and they told me they'd have to do an "assessment" and the price would come down from there. I left though since they didn't have any 6 64GB AT&T phones. What kind of condition was it in? Mine is good aside from scratches on the slate side aluminum band.

I kind of am also but in the opposite direction. I got a 6 because I thought the 6 plus would be a beast. I went today to mess with it and I can maneuver with one hand fairly easy, the resolution is nice. etc. I have been looking for 6 plus' today to exchange my 6 for but no luck. plenty of 6 128 gb out there though

Holding both it was a no-brainer on the 6. It's almost the same size as my LG G2. Holding the 6+ was like holding the old Kindle.

Yeah you really need to hold them first to make a decision. I feel I would have fucked up either way. got the 6 plus and then wanted a 6, or vice versa in this case lol.

One thing though that I was surprised about is because of the rounded edges it makes holding it a fairly easy task. It inst as unwieldy as I thought it would be. But yeah I agree with holding both.

Sobriquet

Can't imagine what the 6+ must be like.

It's amazing! My prior phone was a 4.

I think the 5s model looks and feels more premium than the new models.

I think the 5S looks better in pictures, but I think the 6+ (never held a 6) looks and feels better in person.

Hmm...plugged the 6+ into the car USB port and was losing charge as I was driving?

Not fully convinced it actually was charging despite the indicator. The time between the plug in and the indication is a few seconds off.

Wonder if you get more juice or a more adequate test using the cigarette port thing with a charger?

Uh-oh. I hope my car USB ports work. :/

Mononoke

Banned
My wife's iPhone 6 got like 5 hours of "usage" (not standby) on its first full charge. What kind of battery life are other people getting on a 6 or a 6+?

Kind of curious about this too. Anyone else only getting 5 hours of usage on iPhone 6? What are people getting with 6 +?

(Still waiting for Sprint to ship my damn 6 +, so I'm kind of just living through you guys).

Enfinit

That's usually a case with the car's ability to output power through the USB port, it's not necessarily a problem with the phone. A cigarette charger might be more efficient because (I believe) the power output of a cigarette car charger might be higher than a car USB charger. That's why you'll notice that your phone charges much more efficiently and quickly when connected to a wall outlet versus a car charger.

Your phone will give you the "charging" icon because it recognizes that it's plugged in, but the juice from the phone might overtake the amount of juice the car's giving. I had this problem with my old car, but it's not a problem with my new car. It helped to put my phone on airplane mode as well when I tried to charge it in the car.

Kind of curious about this too. Anyone else only getting 5 hours of usage on iPhone 6? What are people getting with 6 +?

(Still waiting for Sprint to ship my damn 6 +, so I'm kind of just living through you guys).
Took my iPhone 6 off the charger at 11:45 AM, and I've been on the thing virtually 90% of the time since (~3 hours). I've watched a couple YouTube videos, constantly on Twitter, NeoGAF though Safari, app updates through the App Store, and various other applications (such as ESPN), and I'm currently at 80%.

It's not phenomenal, but it's certainly not terrible.

knicks

Wow. I was there today and they told me they'd have to do an "assessment" and the price would come down from there. I left though since they didn't have any 6 64GB AT&T phones. What kind of condition was it in? Mine is good aside from scratches on the slate side aluminum band.

Dealing with an employee from Best Buy for this situation a like a coin flip. Some are super incompetent and just give it to you, while others monitor the scenario. I had this young girl who was so unprofessional, stopping what she was doing to send text messages on her phone and what not. She kept hitting the phone I was trading in on the table. No questions asked, $225.

As I left the counter this guy next to me was getting lectured that his phone had scratches and scuffs on it, and I could tell he wasn't going to get the full amount. My phone was in terrible condition. Thank goodness for that person that handheld my case, or else I'd probably get $150.

the socket in your car may only give 1amp, which probably isn't enough for the 6+.

Deku Tree

If we are using google maps turn by turn directions and have any of our phones plugged into the USB port of our car then yes the phone actually slowly loses charge because google maps is a huge massive major battery hog...

the socket in your car may only give 1amp, which probably isn't enough for the 6+.

The 6+ ships with the standard 1am Apple charger.

Does anyone have any real world battery usage stats for the iPhone 6? I'm doing my first full discharge and it feels like it's draining faster than my iPhone 5.

Other than that, I can't wait for icab mobile to update. It's glitchy and crashes like crazy on iOS8 :(

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
My 6 isn't playing nice with my wifi at all. Constant disconnects until I turn wifi off then back on. My 5 is connecting just fine.

Top Bottom