• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

SeanR1221

It seems.. a little on the fuzzier side.

My phone takes much clearer photos. (Note 3).

Also, how is everyone liking their new iPhones? I saw someone with an iPhone 6 on the train today and it seemed pretty cool!

"Hey I also have no interest in the iPhone. Did you guys know my note 3 takes better pictures? Be tee dubs, everyone liking the phone? It's prettay neat!"

Talon

If it's your initial usage of the phone, guess what, it just used a lot of juice restoring from your backup, downloading your applications again and then indexing everything for spotlight.

Enfinit

So you did, thanks man
No problem. I definitely recommend the leather case. The more I use it, the more I like it. I have the black case with the white iPhone, and I think it looks aesthetically great.

Does anyone have any real world battery usage stats for the iPhone 6? I'm doing my first full discharge and it feels like it's draining faster than my iPhone 5.
Posted about this on the previous page! :)

I just ordered an iPhone 6 plus through the att website. It says preparing for shipment even though the estimated ship date is October 29th? Lol I hope it will ship sooner.

SuperSah

Banned
"Hey I also have no interest in the iPhone. Did you guys know my note 3 takes better pictures? Be tee dubs, everyone liking the phone? It's prettay neat!"

A man with a Samsung interested in the iP6? Impossible!

Hey, maybe I own an iPad, iMac, iPod Touch and an iPhone 5 too?

No, impossible, I only have Samsung products.

I am very interested in the 6, not Plus as I already have a large ass phone, I was just asking how you guys liked it jeeze.

Sykane

Just got confirmation, att.com order that said 10/2-10/13 just got shipped from Texas with an ETA of Monday. If anyone has orders they put in early (I placed mine before 3:05AM on the 12th) on att.com, your phones should be coming soon!

Just got confirmation, att.com order that said 10/2-10/13 just got shipped from Texas with an ETA of Monday. If anyone has orders they put in early (I placed mine before 3:05AM on the 12th) on att.com, your phones should be coming soon!

I just ordered mine today. I hope that applies to me too!

No problem. I definitely recommend the leather case. The more I use it, the more I like it. I have the black case with the white iPhone, and I think it looks aesthetically great.

Posted about this on the previous page! :)

3 hours of usage and you're at 80%? Damn. I'm not getting anything like that. I had it charging all thru the night, completed all the updating stuff yesterday. Took it off the charger and I'm currently at 49% with 3 hr 43 m use and 4 hr 2 m standby. Brightness at 40%, cellular is off. I've just been browsing GAF and headfi on icab. I did watch like 8 minutes worth of YouTube (FFXV demo) and took like one photo but that's it.

I'll probably discharge fully and top it back off. I'm sorta suspicious of icab. Maybe it needs to be optimized for iOS 8

northead

been using my grey 6 all day after being on android for the last 2 years and absolutely loving this phone.
I think I'll stick with ios for a long time.
The blue leather case is really nice but I think I'd prefer the silicone one yet they don't do it in dark blue.

Mind taking a picture?
I was specifically curious in seeing how Space Grey + Dark Blue leather case looks like.

frico

I had some store credit left on my iPhone 5 trade-in, so I was able to splooge on a case for the iPhone 6.

The only ones they have currently are the silicon cases and the leather cases. I'm not sure what the silicon case is, but the leather ones run about $45. I was able to try them both out, and while the silicon case has more grip to it, I went with the black leather case.

The leather case, despite having less grip, just feels nicer in the hand, and it feels more durable. It grips the phone really well, and it's very thin. It covers enough around the edges and it is raised enough over the camera to where, if you drop it, it'll do its job well. Plus, one difference between the silicon and the leather cases, is that the leather case is lined with felt on the interior.

I like it a lot, and I recommend it.

Is the leather case thinner than the silicon case? I bought a silicon case that I need to go pickup at the Apple Store.

Schlep

We are on Extended LTE in the area, and T-Mobile appears to be strong around here.
I am just wondering how their services are elsewhere. I hear both great and horrible stories about T-Mobile.

Any ideas?

Test drive.

I just tried going to the Apple Store to get Apple care in south lake (dallas) and the line was around the block! What the heck? The phone came out yesterday, what are people in line for?

Was the same last night. I was thinking of going to the Fort Worth store tonight instead to check it out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A photographer I know posted this up on his Facebook. Taken with a 6+

Up close it looks like of muddy... like it's being down sampled or something. This is the same how the photos on my Xperia Z1s turned out. I don't recall this happening on the iPhone 4s/5s. Maybe I just don't remember correctly, but I remember them looking sharper.

SeanR1221

Up close it looks like of muddy... like it's being down sampled or something. This is the same how the photos on my Xperia Z1s turned out. I don't recall this happening on the iPhone 4s/5s. Maybe I just don't remember correctly, but I remember them looking sharper.

I saved the Facebook photo and uploaded it to photobucket so maybe that's why.

Hiko

Banned
One of my co-workers got the 6 yesterday so I saw I finally saw it in person today. It looks gorgeous. In pictures so far it didn't look that good and I honestly thought my 5S looked better. But in person this phone is downright sexy. Makes the 5S look chunky. It was in space gray so I don't know how the other colors look.

Enfinit

Is the leather case thinner than the silicon case? I bought a silicon case that I need to go pickup at the Apple Store.
I can't say for sure, but I feel like they're pretty similar. If anything, the leather case felt slimmer, but again, they feel pretty equal. They're both very slim though overall.

3 hours of usage and you're at 80%? Damn. I'm not getting anything like that. I had it charging all thru the night, completed all the updating stuff yesterday. Took it off the charger and I'm currently at 49% with 3 hr 43 m use and 4 hr 2 m standby. Brightness at 40%, cellular is off. I've just been browsing GAF and headfi on icab. I did watch like 8 minutes worth of YouTube (FFXV demo) and took like one photo but that's it.

I'll probably discharge fully and top it back off. I'm sorta suspicious of icab. Maybe it needs to be optimized for iOS 8
Here's a look at my currently battery usage stats:
~3 hours of usage, ~4 hours of standby and I'm currently at 75% percent. I completed all of my iCloud backups last night when I got home from the Apple store (while plugged in), however I did not let the battery drain completely before I put it on the charger last night. It was on the charger for roughly 9 hours overnight, and I've been connected to wi-fi all day today.

Again, it's not bad, but it's not incredible. Probably going to drain the battery today and put it on the charger from 0% to 100%. You probably already know this, but checking individual battery percentages for apps really helps in managing battery power. I don't mind the battery I'm getting now, and it's certainly better than what I was getting with my iPhone 5, but it could be better.

Bowser

I'm at 55% with 3 hours 40 minutes of usage and 10 hours 8 minutes standby. Charged it to 100% last night then let it sit overnight off the charger. Been doing a lot of Tweetbot (ugh update already), Safari and texting throughout the day.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was in an Apple store for about an hour today, and I still cannot decide between the 6 and 6 Plus.

6 Plus can't be used with one hand, period. Reaching all the way to the far left of the screen feels very difficult and unnatural, and using the keyboard with one thumb is close to impossible unless you have gargantuan hands. But that said, I found using the regular 6 with one hand to be a bit fiddly too (but possible). I guess I'm just accustomed to by iPhone 4S. So it's best to use two hands for either one, and I found the 6 Plus to be the more comfortable of the two when using two hands. And the keyboard on the 6 Plus is amazing if using two hands. Because of the sizes of the keys, I could type quickly and accurately.

I own a 4S and an iPad 2, and I'm probably going to sell both to get a 6 or 6 Plus. The 6 Plus would be a nice happy medium, but I have a hard time coming to terms with how big it is as a phone. It would certainly make reading and playing games better than the 6, but it strikes me as a bit cumbersome for a device that we're used to being small and convenient. Holding it up as if to make a call felt weird.

Grah! The more I think about it, the harder I find it to decide! Help me out, GAF? How did you guys decide?

Oh, and is there any possibility of app devs going back and making some iPad apps compatible with the 6 Plus? Or future apps being compatible with 6 Plus, but not 6? That could sway me.

Too small for a tablet, too big for a phone. I think some people feel the need to have the 'best' or biggest, but just take time to think what you'll use it for. You may find it better to have a 6 and an iPad air later on, or may be fine with just the 6+ for everything. But don't try and fit the tech to what you need it to do for you, that's the wrong way round.

I'm at 4 hours 12 minutes of usage, 5 hours 20 minutes of standby and I have 79% of my battery left on my 6+. This thing is a battery beast.

Enfinit

For family sharing, if everyone has location services enabled and is allowing their location to be shared, how do I see where people are?
The Find My Friends app.

As of Wednesday it was going to be submitted "soon". http://tapbots.com/blog/news/tapbots-and-the-state-of-ios8
Ahh, that's what it was. That still should be within the next week, I'd suspect. I used TweetBot 2 on my iPhone 5 forever, I just made the $5 splooge for TweetBot 3 when I made the switch to the iPhone 6 yesterday. Not too shabby.

I just saw both phones at the store (my wife went in to see the 6 and didn't like it, however she loved the 6+).I have to say comparing to the Note 3 that I'm currently rocking.... I might just exchange it. The sizes are nearly identical and the 6+ just oozes quality. It looks fantastic!

Bowser

I believe the new TweetBot update was sent to Apple at the end of this week, so it should be out by the end of next week.

Speaking of, it's downright embarrassing that they haven't released Tweetbot 3.0 for iPad yet. Like seriously? What's the holdup?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Your first clue should have been "facebook". Seriously people, NEVER COMPARE SMARTPHONE PICS UNLESS THEY ARE NATIVE FILES!!! We simply have no good idea what happens during a site's particular scaling and recompression.

I'm at 4 hours 12 minutes of usage, 5 hours 20 minutes of standby and I have 79% of my battery left on my 6+. This thing is a battery beast.

God damn that's good... Not gonna complain I guess, since I don't think I can handle the Plus' form factor

Anywho, I got really annoyed with the Neo Hybrid's terrible nonclicking buttons so I tore some tiny scraps of paper and stuck em between the plastic case and the TPU cutouts where the buttons lay and voila, absolutely perfect now. This'll easily hold me off til Spigen ship their own sticky fix

Speaking of, it's downright embarrassing that they haven't released Tweetbot 3.0 for iPad yet. Like seriously? What's the holdup?

They addressed it in the link I posted above, but here is the important part about iPad "Next, we wanted to state that Tweetbot 3 for the iPad is in development. However we are also trying to get some of our other apps updated as well so progress has been slower than expected. We are excited to share that two of our older apps will be updated for iOS8 (iPhone/iPad) and debut for the first time on the Mac (Yosemite)! We will update you when we get closer to launch. Thanks so much for your patience and support."

Bowser

They addressed it in the link I posted above, but here is the important part about iPad "Next, we wanted to state that Tweetbot 3 for the iPad is in development. However we are also trying to get some of our other apps updated as well so progress has been slower than expected. We are excited to share that two of our older apps will be updated for iOS8 (iPhone/iPad) and debut for the first time on the Mac (Yosemite)! We will update you when we get closer to launch. Thanks so much for your patience and support."

Hasn't Tweetbot 3.0 been out for iPhone for well over a year? Granted I don't know shit about software development but it seems like an inordinate amount of time to get the iPad app updated.

MercuryLS

Banned
Battery seems to be holding up really well on my iPhone 6. My 5 had terrible battery life, although that might have to do with how old it was. It was never good battery life, just ok.

My 6 isn't playing nice with my wifi at all. Constant disconnects until I turn wifi off then back on. My 5 is connecting just fine.
I'm having the same exact issues. I had no issues with my 4 or Air but the 6 keeps disconnecting from my wifi.
Anyway to fix this issue besides getting a new router?

Top Bottom