• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

MercuryLS

Banned
One thing I noticed that I really appreciate is that the earpiece isn't heavily recessed like with the 4 and 5 series iPhones. It's nearly flush with the screen, that should help it not get crazy gunked up like tho previous phones.

Two Words

After getting my hands on a 6+, I think I'm getting it. I'm able to reach every part of the screen with 1 hand and it fits in my pocket fine.

MercuryLS

Banned
I was in an Apple store for about an hour today, and I still cannot decide between the 6 and 6 Plus.

6 Plus can't be used with one hand, period. Reaching all the way to the far left of the screen feels very difficult and unnatural, and using the keyboard with one thumb is close to impossible unless you have gargantuan hands. But that said, I found using the regular 6 with one hand to be a bit fiddly too (but possible). I guess I'm just accustomed to by iPhone 4S. So it's best to use two hands for either one, and I found the 6 Plus to be the more comfortable of the two when using two hands. And the keyboard on the 6 Plus is amazing if using two hands. Because of the sizes of the keys, I could type quickly and accurately.

I own a 4S and an iPad 2, and I'm probably going to sell both to get a 6 or 6 Plus. The 6 Plus would be a nice happy medium, but I have a hard time coming to terms with how big it is as a phone. It would certainly make reading and playing games better than the 6, but it strikes me as a bit cumbersome for a device that we're used to being small and convenient. Holding it up as if to make a call felt weird.

Grah! The more I think about it, the harder I find it to decide! Help me out, GAF? How did you guys decide?

Oh, and is there any possibility of app devs going back and making some iPad apps compatible with the 6 Plus? Or future apps being compatible with 6 Plus, but not 6? That could sway me.

It's pretty simple:

Is one handed use important - Get the iPhone 6 (though it's tough to do here too)

Want a tablet that can also make some calls? - Get the iPhone 6+

What a phone that feels somewhat compact but has a big enough screen to enjoy reading/media - Get the iPhone 6

Want something that can fit your pocket without filling in entirely - Get the iPhone 6

I tried both a lot but the 6 is where it's at for me, it's got a nice size screen that can barely be used one handed. It's not too large and can easily fit my pockets, but the screen is nice and big for reading/movie watching.

Zutroy

I'm having the same exact issues. I had no issues with my 4 or Air but the 6 keeps disconnecting from my wifi.
Anyway to fix this issue besides getting a new router?

I remember one of my Apple devices didn't like the extreme ends of the wifi channels. Try changing that to something in the middle.

Enfinit

It's pretty simple:

Is one handed use important - Get the iPhone 6 (though it's tough to do here too)

Want a tablet that can also make some calls? - Get the iPhone 6+

What a phone that feels somewhat compact but has a big enough screen to enjoy reading/media - Get the iPhone 6

Want something that can fit your pocket without filling in entirely - Get the iPhone 6

I tried both a lot but the 6 is where it's at for me, it's got a nice size screen that can barely be used one handed. It's not too large and can easily fit my pockets, but the screen is nice and big for reading/movie watching.
This was pretty much my mentality for deciding as well. The extra battery life and perks of the 6 Plus is tempting, but the real deciding point was putting both devices in my pocket. The 6 Plus is simply ridiculous to hold in a pocket, not to mention holding it up to your ear for phone calls feels really unnatural. The 6 just suited my needs and usage better than the 6 Plus.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Hmm...plugged the 6+ into the car USB port and was losing charge as I was driving?

Not fully convinced it actually was charging despite the indicator. The time between the plug in and the indication is a few seconds off.

Wonder if you get more juice or a more adequate test using the cigarette port thing with a charger?
FYI, I bought a car charger that supports 12W, 5V, 2.4A and the iPhone 6+ charges as expected.

Looks like it does need the higher amperage to charge while in use.

Thanks to the folks who suggested it.

rocK`

Banned
so after AT&T left me without any information on my pre-order, i was able to order one on the apple store and picked up my 6+ today.

Forgot how good iOS is (i left for a bit with a Note 3). What apps am I missing?

Dominator

I went to the Apple Store again today to hold the phone. The line was wrapped around one side of the mall because they got more phones in this morning. All the Plus' were gone though by the time I walked in.

Played around some more with the Plus and I am truly in love. What a beast of a machine.

Xamdou

I have had my Golden 128GB Iphone 6 for about a full day now and I must say it is a beast on the go! Fit's great in my pocket, doesn't look gigantic when holding it next to my ear when making a phone call and is a huge upgrade from my 4S! I have an Ipad air at home which is my primary use there but on the go the Iphone 6's portability reigns supreme!!!

Fjordson

Wow, every single Apple store near me says I can pick up a 6 today. Any color. Little surprising, but I may actually try to head in there.

Meffer

So my provider Verizon is doing a promotion for the iPhone 6s where you trade in your older iPhone to get get credit towards the 6. My 4 from what I understand gets $200 from this deal so I can get the basic 6 for free pretty much.
I'm going to our store on Tuesday with my mother since we're in the same plan. I figure we check more details about the promotion and see if we can both upgrade.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
waiting patiently for my ups package from amazon, in the mean time I stopped by the apple store today and got to try out both phones. Really glad I splurged for the plus, really nice feel and not at all fazed by the size. No more squinting to read things either!

MercuryLS

Banned
Another small thing I noticed about the 6, it's details like this that makes me love Apple devices. With Android phones sometimes I would accidentally hit the sleep/wake button while adjusting the volume because they're across from each other and when you grip the phone to press on the volume rocker, your thumb may squeeze the sleep/wake button, putting the phone into sleep. Drives me batty and I expected the same from iPhone 6, it was one of the things I didn't like about the side button when I saw the leaks. Try hitting the sleep/wake button at the same time as the volume up or down button, the phone doesn't go to sleep. Apple knew this would be a common thing and included some software to ignore the sleep/wake button press in this scenario. It's all in the details.

SD-Ness

I've never been big into cases for my smartphones, but I want to get a really nice one for my iPhone 6. What are my options?

OtterBox Defender?

Wiz

How do I get my photos and videos to upload to iCloud drive? I have it setup but my pictures aren't uploading to it. At least it doesn't seem like it.

sangreal

How do I get my photos and videos to upload to iCloud drive? I have it setup but my pictures aren't uploading to it. At least it doesn't seem like it.

icloud photos is a different service that is still in beta

Your photostream should update though

ringlord

Seems weird that my pre-order through Verizon for a regular 6 (placed early morning of the 12th) has a delivery estimate of Oct 3, but all the Apple stores near me have stock of the phone I want.

Enfinit

I've never been big into cases for my smartphones, but I want to get a really nice one for my iPhone 6. What are my options?

OtterBox Defender?
Unless you're an OtterBox kinda person, I have the Apple black leather case and I absolutely love it. Durable, gets the job done, and is very aesthetically pleasing.

I'm not sure, however I was advised by to not fuck with iCloud Drive until the Yosemite update comes.

Corgi

Banned
Just got confirmation, att.com order that said 10/2-10/13 just got shipped from Texas with an ETA of Monday. If anyone has orders they put in early (I placed mine before 3:05AM on the 12th) on att.com, your phones should be coming soon!

yeah seems like people that ordered 128gb 6+ are getting shipping stuff.

Ordered 64gb sg, haven't gotten anything yet :(

Unless you're an OtterBox kinda person, I have the Apple black leather case and I absolutely love it. Durable, gets the job done, and is very aesthetically pleasing.

This. The cases Apple makes for their phones are great. They protect the phone to a reasonable degree while maintaining the style of the device.

Ryck

Does anyone know how to turn off the setting where your text tone will ring again a few minutes later if you don't check your text?

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Does anyone know how to turn off the setting where your text tone will ring again a few minutes later if you don't check your text?
It's hiding in the notifications settings for Messages all the way at the bottom.

There's a repeat option, switch that to never.

I haven't had an iphone since the original came out. I learned that I loved the bigger screens and just moved on from iphones because their screens were too small. Now the 6+ is out and I'm kind of curious about getting one. I don't know if I should do it even though I already have a Note 3 that I'm pretty content with. I'm sure the battery life is better on the 6+ though. I'm so conflicted. =0

BSsBrolly

Banned
I haven't had an iphone since the original came out. I learned that I loved the bigger screens and just moved on from iphones because their screens were too small. Now the 6+ is out and I'm kind of curious about getting one. I don't know if I should do it even though I already have a Note 3 that I'm pretty content with. I'm sure the battery life is better on the 6+ though. I'm so conflicted. =0

Do it! You won't regret it. iOS is on another level.

So how is the whole iCloud photos thing supposed to work? It'll just store my entire library in the cloud and I'll have access to it from any device?

Bullza2o

I'm pissed...

This morning I saw 6 Pluses available for pickup at a nearby Apple store, so I canceled my preorder to get this one instead. Turns out AT&T Next purchases cannot be picked up, so I just lost my place in line...

Now I just preordered again and estimate is 10/21-28. This is very disappointing :(

I'm pissed...

This morning I saw 6 Pluses available for pickup at a nearby Apple store, so I canceled my preorder to get this one instead. Turns out AT&T Next purchases cannot be picked up, so I just lost my place in line...

Now I just preordered again and estimate is 10/21-28. This is very disappointing :(

sorry to hear that.

how do you check local pickup availability?

edit: nm found it

Smidget

Got my wife's iPhone switched with the stuck pixels. Took them 20 min at the Apple Store at the Genius Bar since I bought it from AT&T. Other Apple Store (Fashion Place UT) I went to wouldn't do it today and made me make an appointment so tried another (City Creek UT) and they fit me in in like 10 min. And now we enjoy :)

Top Bottom