• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Corgi

Banned
Would love to see some pics of non optimized apps like tweet bot on iphone 6+.

For those apps, does all the UI get enlarged, like the battery/signal bar and the keyboard?

Bowser

Would love to see some pics of non optimized apps like tweet bot on iphone 6+.

For those apps, does all the UI get enlarged, like the battery/signal bar and the keyboard?

Yes. It's like the entire screen is zoomed in. I don't have a 6+ though, but it's definitely the same.

Has anyone figured out the parallax dimensions for wallpapers yet?
I've turned off parallax atm because I make my own wallpapers and I like them to be pixel perfect.

Enzom21

I'm pissed...

This morning I saw 6 Pluses available for pickup at a nearby Apple store, so I canceled my preorder to get this one instead. Turns out AT&T Next purchases cannot be picked up, so I just lost my place in line...

Now I just preordered again and estimate is 10/21-28. This is very disappointing :(

There is apparently a work around for that.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19816733&postcount=4799
hockeymutt said:
For everyone that wants to use att next but Apple.com won't let you compete I store pick up with...

Here's what you do... Click the almost full retail price and complete the order and when you do the in store pick up they will change it to next and refund you.. Just picked up my 6 plus today and was able to do it until their system went down so they told me to come back later but let me take the phone!

Rookje

DHmGtOC.gif

I've seen a lot of people say BestBuy. Thoughts?

This was pretty much my mentality for deciding as well. The extra battery life and perks of the 6 Plus is tempting, but the real deciding point was putting both devices in my pocket. The 6 Plus is simply ridiculous to hold in a pocket, not to mention holding it up to your ear for phone calls feels really unnatural. The 6 just suited my needs and usage better than the 6 Plus.

Meh, ever since I started shaving using only jagged pumice with a mixture of broken glass and bearing grease as lubricant, little things like the "discomfort" of larger phones in my pocket just don't bother me that much anymore. Also, my pocket is a landfill.

I think the preference for any particular phone size is just habitual. Using smaller phones is easier on the hands, but a larger screen is so easy on the eyes.

Plus, batteries on larger phones just tend to last longer for me in my regular use.

Rambaldi

Me and my boyfriend decided to go get lunch so I said I wanted to go by the Apple Store if there wasn't a crazy line. Turns out there were TWO crazy lines going around both the left and right sides of the building.

So after leaving the cafe I see this guy with a huge grin on his face sitting at a table outside. He was holding a 6+. :( I was both jealous and sad at the same time. The bf thinks I'm crazy.

I almost want to cancel my preorder and try local pickup but a) I doubt my part of California has any 6+ stock anywhere and B) my upgrade has been used according to AT&T and I don't know how long it would take to update before I could use it again. Ugh.

Enfinit

Is AppleCare+ worth it for the iPhone if you live no where near an Apple Store?

It depends. In my experience with my carrier (AT&T) versus handling claims with Apple, Apple is easily FAR better to deal with, as far as getting your damages corrected efficiently and in a timely manner. I believe if you're outside reasonable range of an Apple store, you can handle claims over the phone/mail-in.

Also, for me, I got AppleCare simply because I'm financing my phone with AT&T Next. So because I don't technically own my phone, I wanted Apple's insurance over my carrier's.

So what are all the steps to take before I activate a new phone to make sure everything carries over and my old phone is in sellable condition? Keep in mind I'm not restoring from an iCloud backup on the new one, but I want all my photos and notes and everything to be there and ready to go

Fantomex

For those of you that don't want to wait or are trying to find an alternative store to purchase from. Try Radio Shack. It's usually the last place people think about.

Guess Who

Banned
Got to see the Plus today, which only reaffirmed my decision to go for the 4.7". There are a few small details on the Plus where you can see the higher resolution, but most things are nearly indistinguishable from the 4.7". Certainly the higher PPI isn't a game changer. I also can only reach half the screen one handed, compared to everything except the furthest corner on the 4.7". There's definitely a market for that device but it's not me.

Also really happy with the battery on the 4.7" so far. Five hours off the charger with GPS usage, streaming music, browsing GAF/Twitter/Reddit, listening to local music, and making two 20-30 minute calls, and I'm still at 48%. Good work, Apple.

Are you in Canada? Phones have to be activated by the carriers before they leave the store.

Nope, sunny southern California.

I mean, to her credit, if there was something wrong with the phone then it's obviously better to turn it on there. But her main reasoning was totally bunk, if I had ordered the phone to be delivered to my house I could have powered it on there and it would have been fine.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got my iPhone 6. Didn't have to wait at the store that long, though I had to make a side trip on the way home for a screen protector and case. 3rd party case, but it will do till I can get a real one. Kind of hoping Logitech doesn't wait too long with their [+] case.

Anyways, making the switch from Android to iOS has been a task. Got my contacts over just fine.

I need two app recommendations.

1. Audio player with a nice car dock layout
2. Audio Book/Podcast player with quick button for ~10sec RW /FF

Rambaldi

So it turns out my local store has a model I want in stock but I used Apple's livechat to see how long it would take my upgrade to reset and they said "a couple of hours but no more than 24." I don't think I want to risk losing my place in line and then having the store sell out while I wait for the reset.

Also, our store closes at 7 on Saturdays. Is that a normal thing? It seems odd for them to be open 10-9 weekdays but not Saturday. (It could be a local ordinance thing. My area is crazy with stupid things like that.)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Believe it or not, I'd recommend the official Apple podcasts app. It has 15 sec rw/ff and it's the only one that puts those controls on the homescreen/control center slide up menu.

It used to be shit when it came out... but now I actually find it zippier than Downcast/Instacast. I discovered it had gotten good after being fed up with all the other alternatives.

I have not tried Pocket Casts, though.

Mononoke

Banned
So it turns out my local store has a model I want in stock but I used Apple's livechat to see how long it would take my upgrade to reset and they said "a couple of hours but no more than 24." I don't think I want to risk losing my place in line and then having the store sell out while I wait for the reset.

Also, our store closes at 7 on Saturdays. Is that a normal thing? It seems odd for them to be open 10-9 weekdays but not Saturday. (It could be a local ordinance thing. My area is crazy with stupid things like that.)

Gah. Hearing this kills me. How can store's still have + units when some of us are supposedly waiting 4 maybe even 6 weeks to get our day 1 pre orders shipped to us. :(

Paying for something and then being told they have no idea when you will get it doesn't feel good. :(

Got my iPhone 6. Didn't have to wait at the store that long, though I had to make a side trip on the way home for a screen protector and case. 3rd party case, but it will do till I can get a real one. Kind of hoping Logitech doesn't wait too long with their [+] case.

Anyways, making the switch from Android to iOS has been a task. Got my contacts over just fine.

Stock podcast app is what I'm using these days. Downcast is pretty good as well.

I went to an Apple Store today and the phone looks much nicer in person than it does in any picture. The antenna breaks aren't all that ugly in person. Also even the 4.7 inch one seems too big. When I saw it at the Apple Store I thought it was the 6+ at first and was wondering where the smaller one was when that was in fact the smaller one.

MercuryLS

Banned

Download cartunes, it's a very minimal music app that gives you swipe controls to control your music. It's pretty great in the car.

Anybody have tips on apps that have good widgets yet? I'd like something that uses that functionality. One that shows sports scores would be nice in particular. :)

DHmGtOC.gif

I've seen a lot of people say BestBuy. Thoughts?

I'm wondering the same thing, I have an immaculate 4S that I was looking to get a rid of, and I know that GameStop will give me $110 for it...as much as I don't want to do business there, I can easily turn that credit into Amazon credit.

Also, I know someone that works there and supposedly after Sunday (Tomorrow) the values bottom might be dropping out, so I think I might just do that to avoid the hassle of selling it to a person.

MRSA

Banned
Is the T-Mobile Unlocked version from the Apple store *actually* unlocked? Can I use it with, say, AT&T in the future?

I bought a T-Mobile version from Apple and am currently using it on AT&T. Word of caution though, if purchased from T-Mobile it will be locked.

Top Bottom