• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Ryck

Where do I re-download my ringtones that I purchased through the iTunes store? I set my iPhone up as a new instead of restoring from my old phone.

LifEndz

Just got home from the Apple store in Grand Central station. Wow. 2 hour wait and the apple rep almost didn't sell it to me because my Florida drivers license has a NY address on it. It's a valid ID and Florida lets you do that if you're away for school or on a temp basis, but she was still looking at me like I was up to no good. Luckily I had my passport on me.

300 bucks later and I have my space grey 128 6 regular size. Saw the 6 plus and it was a little too big for my needs. Granted, I'm coming from the 4s to the 6 so getting the 6 feels like a huge step up as is. It's amazing to have all this space. Uploading all my music (over 7k songs) and I still have room for movies, tv, etc. Very happy with it thus far.

Now all I have to do is cradle it to me like a newborn until my case and screen protector arrive.

6+ battery update.

First full charge
7% left
Usage = 8hr and 45mins
Standby 1day, 2hours
Brightness auto
Video streaming about 4hours
Majority = browsing

Very impressed.

-james-

Broke down and bought one for myself and one for my daughter today, both 6, 64gb space gray. Waiting in line for 45 minutes. All 6+ were sold out, seemed like lots of scalpers in line. Plenty of 6's available. Love this phone, got the blue leather Apple case for me and the light blue silicone for my daughter, both have a great fit and feel. Gave me $175 for my daughters 5c which I thought was decent.

So after having had my 6 for a full day with a tech armor screen protector on it, and a outfit matrix.

I have decided to go naked this time around. The feel is just not the same. the screen protector really throws the feeling off and the case is nice don't get me wrong but but it kills the form factor and those nice rounded edges.

Naked is the way to go will probably spring for apple care though

Miyahon

Where do I re-download my ringtones that I purchased through the iTunes store? I set my iPhone up as a new instead of restoring from my old phone.

I don't think you can download ringtone purchases again. You would have to back them up to your computer first.

Namikaze

So after having had my 6 for a full day with a tech armor screen protector on it, and a outfit matrix.

I have decided to go naked this time around. The feel is just not the same. the screen protector really throws the feeling off and the case is nice don't get me wrong but but it kills the form factor and those nice rounded edges.

Yep. I couldn't keep my protector on for more than a minute before taking it off and throwing it in the trash. Never again, the screen feels perfect without one.

Clipse

I'm considering buying a $95 leather case, am I crazy? What do you think GAF?

lupb-6plus_bla-ws.jpg

lupb-6plus_bla.jpg

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm considering buying a $95 leather case, am I crazy? What do you think GAF?
That looks bulky as hell. Are you planning on putting it in your pocket cause it's going to be terrible to take in and out all the time.

Also the frame of that case is so thick, looks really hard to hit the various buttons.

kneePat

I'm wondering the same thing, I have an immaculate 4S that I was looking to get a rid of, and I know that GameStop will give me $110 for it...as much as I don't want to do business there, I can easily turn that credit into Amazon credit.

Also, I know someone that works there and supposedly after Sunday (Tomorrow) the values bottom might be dropping out, so I think I might just do that to avoid the hassle of selling it to a person.

If you want carrier credit and have Verizon or AT&T, you can get $200 easy.

Bowser

The ESPN ScoreCenter app hasn't been updated to show as a widget yet, has it? It doesn't show up in my list of widgets to add to the screen...

So my family (of 5) is looking to upgrade and I'm trying to decide what would be cheaper, keeping our grandfathered contract/plan or switching to ATT next.

We currently pay $236 including tax for 2 gigs of data per line and unlimited texting on 5 smart phones. I was told at the store that upgrading would cost us an additional $30-40 per line and then we'd have to pay some upgrade/activation fees or something. However if we ditched out plan and switched to ATT next our bill would be cheaper.

I kind of feel like he was trying to get us off our grandfathered plan, so I looked online and apparently we don't have to pay any of those fees if we just upgrade? This stuff is super confusing, so I was hoping one of you guys could help me out here.

Bacon

If you live in NYC it looks like the white plus models are available for pickup in most of the apple stores in the city. Just a friendly heads up :)

Apple's leather case is a nice compromise. You really don't need a screen protector though..

ijm72

So my family (of 5) is looking to upgrade and I'm trying to decide what would be cheaper, keeping our grandfathered contract/plan or switching to ATT next.

We currently pay $236 including tax for 2 gigs of data per line and unlimited texting on 5 smart phones. I was told at the store that upgrading would cost us an additional $30-40 per line and then we'd have to pay some upgrade/activation fees or something. However if we ditched out plan and switched to ATT next our bill would be cheaper.

I kind of feel like he was trying to get us off our grandfathered plan, so I looked online and apparently we don't have to pay any of those fees if we just upgrade? This stuff is super confusing, so I was hoping one of you guys could help me out here.
I know ATT charges $40 when activating a new phone if you are not on the Next plan. As far which one would be cheaper not sure you would have to compare their new mobile share plans to what you are currently paying. I know for me it was cheaper because I was already on a mobile share plan so if I went with a contract my bill would go up $25 a month. Maybe that's what the rep was talking about? But it wouldn't apply to you since you are already on a contract.

Do the family sharing plan and buy the phones outright. You'll save money in the long run.

It may be more confusing when you're trying to grandfather in a line, but here's what I understand:

Old method: Pay the subsidized price of the phone, let's say $300. The cost of using that phone per month is $40, plus a $40 activation fee, plus whatever call/text/data plan you have.

AT&T Next method: Pay the full price of the phone, but split up into monthly installments. The monthly price of the phone is dropped from $40 a month to $25 or $15 a month, based on your current data rate. However, I think switching to AT&T Next requires switching your data plan to their current monthly share thing, which determines how much data your entire family shares (no longer per person) and how much monthly the phone access costs ($25 or $15). Someone correct me if I am wrong and that is not required.

I know ATT charges $40 when activating a new phone if you are not on the Next plan. As far which one would be cheaper not sure you would have to compare their new mobile share plans to what you are currently paying. I know for me it was cheaper because I was already on a mobile share plan so if I went with a contract my bill would go up $25 a month. Maybe that's what the rep was talking about? But it wouldn't apply to you since you are already on a contract.
Do the family sharing plan and buy the phones outright. You'll save money in the long run.

Is the family sharing plan the same thing as the next plan?

-james-

I changed to the new mobile share last year, just upgraded 2 of the three lines to Next to get iPhone 6's, after tons of reading and calculating pricing. I found that it is cheaper to go to next than to renew the contract for the phone subsidy and its also great to be able to upgrade the phones in 12 months if I want to. Tons of people using next to upgrade in the Apple Store today when I was talking to them as I waited in line.

MercuryLS

Banned
4/4S > 5 > 5S > 1 > 3G/3GS = 6/6+

4/4S > 5S > 5 > 6/6+ > 1 >>>>> 3G/3GS

I prefer the look of the 4 and 5 series, they look more "premium" but I really like the understated design of the 6's too. I think the new phone has a better in-hand feel and they chose to make a comfortable, simple design vs. the showy designs of the 4 and especially 5. IMO, they made the right choice.

ijm72

It may be more confusing when you're trying to grandfather in a line, but here's what I understand:

Old method: Pay the subsidized price of the phone, let's say $300. The cost of using that phone per month is $40, plus a $40 activation fee, plus whatever call/text/data plan you have.

AT&T Next method: Pay the full price of the phone, but split up into monthly installments. The monthly price of the phone is dropped from $40 a month to $25 or $15 a month, based on your current data rate. However, I think switching to AT&T Next requires switching your data plan to their current monthly share thing, which determines how much data your entire family shares (no longer per person) and how much monthly the phone access costs ($25 or $15). Someone correct me if I am wrong and that is not required.
I think you are correct. In his case he could get something like the 10 GB plan and share it between the 5 lines so they end up getting the same data
Is the family sharing plan the same thing as the next plan?
Family sharing is your plan which is a set amount of data, in your case I'm assuming 10 gb, and unlimited talk and text. You share that data between all the devices connected and they charge you a few per device. Next plan is just a way for you to finance the phone. The cost of the phone is split up over 20 or 24 months and added to your phone bill. Let's say for example with my current family plan with 3 lines I pay $150 so if I purchase an iPhone 6 16gb which costs $650 my bill would go up $32.50 (650/20). So my bill would now be $182.50.
Problem with Next (to me) is it's more of a lease than actually buying the phone. Just think it's a waste.
But you don't have to trade in the phone if you don't want to. Some people do because they want the latest and greatest but you can just pay it off over the 20 months or pay it all at once and the phone is yours to keep.

1st week done.....just gotta wait 3 or more weeks for sprint to either call me or etc for my 6+ to arrive

sigh....

didn't know in-store ordering which I PAID directly gets me this wait time...ridiculous

And then with Next you either trade in the phone when you buy a new one or pay it off and keep it. You're gonna pay the same amount, it's just whether you want to do it all at once or over a period of time. I opted to just get it done with but the Next shit is super popular right now.

ckohler

I got my an iPhone 6 today. Just went to AT&T and only had to wait about 15 minutes. They had only two Space gray 16 GB regular size ones left. Luckily that was the one I wanted. Traded in my iPhone 5 and got the iPhone 6 pretty much for free. Even kept my grandfathered unlimited data plan from the original iPhone.

A couple of thoughts: this thing is crazy thin and I love the round corners however it is a little slippery. I think I'm going to have to get a case just so it doesn't slip out of my hand. Also my AT&T microcell didn't recognize my phone at first. I had to log into the microcell website and remove the phone numbers that were there, add them back, and then restart my phone. Then it saw it.

Vargas

How do you make ringtones for the iphone 6? I thought that restoring from my iphone 5 backup would have transferred those over but it didn't.

Top Bottom