• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

SuperPac

I switched to at&t's Next plan this time around and I was able to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan from the first iphone. Paid only the tax on the full price of the phone now and I have installments of $37.50 until the phone is paid off in about a year's time. I preordered on the 12th via apple's site so not sure if that would make a difference.

Sobriquet

I almost want to cancel my preorder and try local pickup but a) I doubt my part of California has any 6+ stock anywhere and B) my upgrade has been used according to AT&T and I don't know how long it would take to update before I could use it again. Ugh.

It's instant if you call. I did and the guy stayed on the line with me while I ordered from Apple. :p

Well, just purposefully drained my 6 to calibrate the battery. I charged to 100% out of the box and let it drain watching netflix.

I will say this, watching Netflix on my phone was enjoyable for the first time. Watching a lot of video on my 5 was not the greatest. With the bump to 4.7" things are much improved.

So I'm really excited about this whole iCloud Drive thing, but how is it supposed to like... work? In my mind, there's a local and cloud copy of everything, and each updates in tandem. Local copies are only stored on my macbook, while my other devices have access to the cloud versions. When I make a change on my laptop, it updates both the local one and the cloud one, and when I update the same document from my phone, it'll get downloaded back down to my laptop's local one. Same with photos and editing

Is that a pipe dream?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The real elephant in the room is the back pocket is the best place for the phone.

The real elephant in the room is the back pocket is the best place for the phone.

I don't really see men sporting cell phones in their back pocket. I see a lot more women doing that. It scares me to death though. Every time they sit down I think the phone is going to break. It holds though.

I could never see myself doing that. I'd be nervous about someone pickpocketing it.

So I got the 6+ and my wife got the 6 and while I like the extra real estate and the better battery life the 6 feels so much better in hand and I can't tell a difference between the resolutions of the screen even side by side. I'm thinking about trading down to the 6

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I do it all the time and its just right.

Still have yet to go see the new phones but Im pretty certain I'm getting the 5.5.
I'm assuming I'll see someone bring one into my work at some point this week so I may not even need to go to the store to check it out.

So I got the 6+ and my wife got the 6 and while I like the extra real estate and the better battery life the 6 feels so much better in hand and I can't tell a difference between the resolutions of the screen even side by side. I'm thinking about trading down to the 6

They are shittting on people over at Macrumors for saying this.

I like hearing about these sort of decisions though. My 6+ is on order. I want a reason to change my mind.

Still seems like more people are more than happy to hold on to it. I'm curious to hear from people after a few days of real world use during a work week.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its gonna be months until we get legit 6Plus apps anyway.

I'm starting to think that the 6+ and the Apple Watch may be a popular combo. For those quick updates that you would normally just one hand your phone to look at, the Apple Watch will come in handy. For everything else it will be great to pull out that nice big display.

With just the regular 6 or the 5S, I see no reason to own an Apple Watch, I can just pull out the phone for most tasks.

Its gonna be months until we get legit 6Plus apps anyway.

I imagine we will see a lot of slightly modified iPad interfaces.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I hear they fucked the keyboard up real bad on the 6Plus and that the third party keyboards are executed in a funky way in ios8.
I imagine we will see a lot of slightly modified iPad interfaces.
Yeah, I'm really excited. Looking at the new iPad version of Omnifocus and picturing the eventual 6Plus version brings me great joy.

I have to say, just to add to my confusion I've legitimately caught myself thinking that the 5S would be a cool phone to get. Its pretty scattershot over here.

WorldStar

Banned
brown leather case sold out throughout most of LA

i have an option to ship to store

is that quicker than just shipping it to my house?

I like hearing about these sort of decisions though. My 6+ is on order. I want a reason to change my mind.

Still seems like more people are more than happy to hold on to it. I'm curious to hear from people after a few days of real world use during a work week.

Left the house today at 9:15am at 100%, used it on and off throughout the day, now at 7:40pm I'm sitting at 76%.

For comparison, while in line yesterday my 5 went from over 90% to around... 33%? in three hours of use only checking Facebook and GAF. Pathetic.

sruckus

I'm echo the thoughts in here about the 5/5S design. I loved my 5 and I had the full black one and it was beautiful. The gold looked great for the 5S as well.

But my 6 feels way better in the hand and it is fun to do the gestures with the curved glass. Problem is I expect every app to support the back forward gestures and they don't haha.

Left the house today at 9:15am at 100%, used it on and off throughout the day, now at 7:40pm I'm sitting at 76%.

For comparison, while in line yesterday my 5 went from over 90% to around... 33%? in three hours of use only checking Facebook and GAF. Pathetic.

Using a 6 here, left at 5 AM at 100% and it's 9:40 PM and I'm at 23% with mostly texting and Web browsing with occasional YouTube videos. My 5s would have needed a second charge middle of the day. Battery life on 6+ though, shit, almost makes me wanna go find one.

Almost.

Iacobellis

I really hope they start porting ipad apps to the iPhone 6 plus

Wouldn't this almost make the iPad Mini irrelevant? Unless Apple starts putting better hardware inside it compared to the iPhone 6+, I would imagine going with the phone rather than a smaller phone and iPad Mini a more convenient setup.

Yeah it's only been 24 hours so I may get used to it. But every time I grab my wife's it feels much better in the hand to me. Also I've noticed some lag in ios8 here and there that I did not notice when running the GM on the 5s. (I have pretty normal sized hands so someone with bigger hands might feel differently)

Dez

People who are giving anecdotes about their battery life really should post the battery usage statistics. The breakdown per app will give us an idea of how you're using your phone.

Bacon

Wouldn't this almost make the iPad Mini irrelevant? Unless Apple starts putting better hardware inside it compared to the iPhone 6+, I would imagine going with the phone rather than a smaller phone and iPad Mini a more convenient setup.

Yup I'm all for downsizing the amount of devices I have. Right now I have an iPhone, ipad mini, MacBook, vita and a kindle. It feels a little ridiculous sometimes. Hopefully the plus can take over for the iPhone and ipad mini.

Dartastic

I thought that the battery on the iPhone 6 was supposed to be better. It was fully charged at 10 am and now at 8 it's at 23 percent. That can't be correct, right?

I thought that the battery on the iPhone 6 was supposed to be better. It was fully charged at 10 am and now at 8 it's at 23 percent. That can't be correct, right?

I'm just now at 21% with five more hours of use, so it could be right I guess. What's your battery usage like?

Bacon

The 6 plus was supposed to be the big battery upgrade, however that seems ridiculous for a new phones battery to degrade so fast regardless.

I'm absolutely loving this 6+. It's giant, but doesn't seem too big. It's way worth it for the extra real estate. The design isn't as beautiful as my 5, but it feels better to hold.

iPad version of Hearthstone on iPhone 6+ maybe?
Can an app be released for the 6+ and not the 6? I know the 6+ has its own interface hooks but apps exclusive to it that won't show up on its smaller buddy? I could see Apple being against that.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

numble

Can an app be released for the 6+ and not the 6? I know the 6+ has its own interface hooks but apps exclusive to it that won't show up on its smaller buddy? I could see Apple being against that.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Technically, I don't think the SDK has any way for you to exclude 6 (or 5S) and include 6+. You can exclude 5/5C for not supporting Metal.

Jimrpg

Yup I'm all for downsizing the amount of devices I have. Right now I have an iPhone, ipad mini, MacBook, vita and a kindle. It feels a little ridiculous sometimes. Hopefully the plus can take over for the iPhone and ipad mini.

Same.

I have a 15" Retina MacBook pro, ipad air, iphone 4s, 3DSXL, Vita that I currently use. I have to alternate the 3DS and Vita to get proper use out of them and I no longer play any games on the iphone.

Ryck

CA2F443E-8A01-42DB-AA55-979D4FFB8708_zpsk1p92u0z.png
I charged middle of yesterday. (Regular 6)

knicks

ATT only charges an activation fee if you insert & use the new sim card they give you. If you use the old sim card, you won't get charged the activation fee.

Top Bottom