• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

MercuryLS

Banned
Oh man i think I'm going to be able to sell my dinged up iPhone 5 64gb tomorrow for $400. That would be awesome and would take the sting off of my iPhone 6 purchase.

oh shit..got an update.....

my mom is getting her iphone 6 on monday......we ordered in-store on the 16th

but

my plus is not available yet

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK ;_____;

Mononoke

Banned
oh shit..got an update.....

my mom is getting her iphone 6 on monday......we ordered in-store on the 16th

but

my plus is not available yet

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK ;_____;

That sucks man. But not surprising. I ordered my iPhone 6 + on the 12th (first day pre-orders were up), and Sprint told me it would be 4 weeks, even possibly 6 weeks. So if you ordered yours 4 days after me....

:(

I'll make sure to keep you updated. Like, if they do end up shipping mine out earlier than the estimated shipping (as it might give you an idea of when yours might be coming). Watch though, given how ass backwards Sprint is, you will end up getting your + shipped before me.

I still can't get past the fact that, they charged us the full amount even tough they don't even know when we can expect to get our phone. I've never had this experience before. And again, what's worse is that...people have been able to walk into an Apple store even TODAY and get a + Sprint Model. I know Apple got to supply their stores first, but come on. They severely under supplied the carriers.

Thing is, Apple won't even let you order through them (on their app or online) if you are adding a line. You already needed a line that was ready for an upgrade, in order for it to work. Or else I would have just went through them. Fuckers.

That sucks man. But not surprising. I ordered my iPhone 6 + on the 12th (first day pre-orders were up), and Sprint told me it would be 4 weeks, even possibly 6 weeks. So if you ordered yours 4 days after me....

:(

o_O...shouldn't you guys be getting yours already .....damn...... Sprint gonna Sprint it seems ;_;

that 4-6 weeks time frame is probably just there since they don't really have a timetable for it..expect yours and mine maybe next week or something :3

#believe

ZeroX03: i thought peeps would go for the smaller one though :p and enthusiast go for the bigger screen

but yeah..... i should have really expected that it'd be supply constrained :(

Mononoke

Banned
o_O...shouldn't you guys be getting yours already .....damn...... Sprint gonna Sprint it seems ;_;

that 4-6 weeks time frame is probably just there since they don't really have a timetable for it..expect yours and mine maybe next week or something :3

#believe

ZeroX03: i thought peeps would go for the smaller one though :p and enthusiast go for the bigger screen

but yeah..... i should have really expected that it'd be supply constrained :(

ONE CAN ONLY HOPE!

I actually broke my phone 3 weeks ago. So I've been without a phone. A relative of mine is supposed to let me borrow their backup 5C starting monday. Sigh. I would kill to still have my iPhone 5. I wouldn't even give two shits about the 6 shipping late. I could deal. Being without a phone sucks though.

ONE CAN ONLY HOPE!

I actually broke my phone 3 weeks ago. So I've been without a phone. A relative of mine is supposed to let me borrow their backup 5C starting monday. Sigh. I would kill to still have my iPhone 5. I wouldn't even give two shits about the 6 shipping late. I could deal. Being without a phone sucks though.

damn that sucks then..

hmm i will probably regret going for the 16gb though on my end but i only have like 200 songs on my iphone and prefer using spotify more :p so i'm fine

but yeah...just gotta wait.....

Mononoke

Banned
damn that sucks then..

hmm i will probably regret going for the 16gb though on my end but i only have like 200 songs on my iphone and prefer using spotify more :p so i'm fine

but yeah...just gotta wait.....

Interesting...you went for 16gb too. I have a theory that the 16gb + models were severely delayed w/ Sprint. When 6 + models were finally shipping out through them, the majority were 64gb or 128gb. The 16gb + were far and few between. And there was almost NO Space Gray 16gb + models being shipped from Sprint.

I knew someone that actually got their pre-order within the first 3 hours that the pre-orders went up, and they had a 16gb + Space Gray model, and they didn't get their phone yet. I'm regretting getting 16gb because I think it's contributed to the delay. Doh. I'm like you though, I use iTunes match, and Spotify, and so I rarely use that much memory on my iPhone. That's why I opted for 16gb, figuring it would save me money.

Interesting...you went for 16gb too. I have a theory that the 16gb + models were severely delayed w/ Sprint. When 6 + models were finally shipping out through them, the majority were 64gb or 128gb. The 16gb + were far and few between. And there was almost NO Space Gray 16gb + models being shipped from Sprint.

I knew someone that actually got their pre-order within the first 3 hours that the pre-orders went up, and they had a 16gb + Space Gray model, and they didn't get their phone yet. I'm regretting getting 16gb because I think it's contributed to the delay. Doh. I'm like you though, I use iTunes match, and Spotify, and so I rarely use that much memory on my iPhone. That's why I opted for 16gb, figuring it would save me money.

..should've just went with the 64gb one too it seems..but why the hell is there not a 32gb one? likeee whyyyyyyy ? o_O

Apple Canada updated the in store reserve: 6Plus is nowhere to be found. Plenty of 6 within the first hour, but now are all reserved in most places.

Mononoke

Banned
..should've just went with the 64gb one too it seems..but why the hell is there not a 32gb one? likeee whyyyyyyy ? o_O

If you don't mind, once you get your shipping notification for your +, can you PM me? (Just in case I miss your post in here). I'll do the same when I get mine. I guess it's kind of pointless, but just for peace of mind.

I really hope we get ours next week.

If you don't mind, once you get your shipping notification for your +, can you PM me? (Just in case I miss your post in here). I'll do the same when I get mine. I guess it's kind of pointless, but just for peace of mind.

I really hope we get ours next week.

sureeeeee

my mom got called by sprint a while ago...sadly that is the only notification that we "in-store" preorder peeps get... :(

so yeah.....i'll keep in touch

Mononoke

Banned
sureeeeee

my mom got called by sprint a while ago...sadly that is the only notification that we "in-store" preorder peeps get... :(

so yeah.....i'll keep in touch

Oh okay. I forgot you ordered yours differently. But I appreciate it. I feel like we are in this together! :p Sucks being one of the few in this thread that got screwed by Sprint/delays. Stay strong! :3

Dartastic

X8zSBzal.jpg

That can't be right...
Seriously though this can't be right.

Enfinit

Can you get a time for how long your screen has been on since last charge using ios 8?
I believe if you leave it on the home screen or the lock screen for a significant amount of time, it should show up within your application battery usages as "Home & Lock Screen" with a battery percentage as if it were an app.

Iacobellis

Seriously though this can't be right.

Not sure what your connection was like during the day, but 4G on AT&T phones is HSPA+, a variant of 3G. I imagine Apple's (and tech sites') daily rating is more geared towards Wi-Fi/LTE, which uses less battery than the older 3G radio.

Oh okay. I forgot you ordered yours differently. But I appreciate it. I feel like we are in this together! :p Sucks being one of the few in this thread that got screwed by Sprint/delays. Stay strong! :3

one other way is you could go to the sprintforums right now.and actually a lot are having the same problem as yours..it's very hectic I might add....if you get lucky they will ask you to pm them for more details on your order

I was really on the wall about the iPhone 6 Plus today. This morning I woke up wanting to put it back in the box and pull out the iPhone 6 that I have already. But I decided to give it a good full day of use today. I am convinced. The iPhone 6 Plus is perfect for me. Holding it is not bad at all despite my fears this morning. Its actually pretty comfortable and i love the extra screen real estate. And best yet, the camera is amazing and... the battery life is absolutely worth it.

From this morning when I unplugged it and started using it. Still at 41%. By now, my iPhone 5s would have been near dead or dead.

I was really on the wall about the iPhone 6 Plus today. This morning I woke up wanting to put it back in the box and pull out the iPhone 6 that I have already. But I decided to give it a good full day of use today. I am convinced. The iPhone 6 Plus is perfect for me. Holding it is not bad at all despite my fears this morning. Its actually pretty comfortable and i love the extra screen real estate. And best yet, the camera is amazing and... the battery life is absolutely worth it.

From this morning when I unplugged it and started using it. Still at 41%. By now, my iPhone 5s would have been near dead or dead.

6+ Master Race

Maximus.

The iPhone 6 is simply amazing. The design is so wonderful and comfortable to hold. The screen real estate is wonderful. The screen pops and looks magnificent.

The camera sticking out is the only thing that bugs me and I don't even find the back of the phone ugly. I bought a leather case, but I don't like the color and how it interferes with the nice curve of the screen. I go naked with all my iPhone's anyways, so I don't see why I would change now.

I hope apps soon get updated to support the new screen size, since zoomed in apps seem off to me. The size of the keyboard is perfect and I find I make way less mistakes now compared to before.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
A question for anyone with 6 Plus. What does the Music app's landscape view look like? Is it a full iTunes player like the iPad, or that shitty goddamned useless album view?

If I got a 6+ I'd be using it in landscape most of the time, and if I had to switch to portrait just to use Music, well fuck that. It might be a deal breaker.

Also, does the lock screen also rotate? Or just the home screen?

Thanks in advance.

A question for anyone with 6 Plus. What does the Music app's landscape view look like? Is it a full iTunes player like the iPad, or that shitty goddamned useless album view?

If I got a 6+ I'd be using it in landscape most of the time, and if I had to switch to portrait just to use Music, well fuck that. It might be a deal breaker.

Also, does the lock screen also rotate? Or just the home screen?

Thanks in advance.

Album view. Lock screen doesnt rotate.

Wow that battery life is impressive. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the standard 6, but I'm still keeping th door open on a possible 6+

Since I am planning to stay with Verizon now, I am looking to order from their site. There is no delay in the silver 128gb iPhone 6, which is what I was eyeing.

But what the hell is Verizon Edge? Something just seems off about it. The price of the phone is split up onto the bill monthly, and I don't pay anything down and get a discount on the line each month.

Where's the catch?

Corgi

Banned
hmmm until tweetbot is updated and who knows when for chrome... man haven't used Safari on ios since i had an iphone 3g >.>"

Got to try the iPhone 6 plus today. It's pretty big, even by Samsung standards. I was surprised.

I was mainly interested in the camera, which was pretty impressive. I snapped 6 shots of a subject in motion in quick succession. There was no motion blur in 5 of the shots so the lens seems pretty fast (in lighting), but one of the shots had a fullscreen jitter. I find I take a lot of pictures by phone these days so I find the camera pretty important.

It's nice, but the prices here are highway robbery for an "early" iPhone 6. This particular retailer was selling the gold iPhone 6 plus (lowest version 16GB?)for 18,888HKD (roughly 2,500 USD). That's a lucky number in Chinese culture, but I don't see it in this case, ha.

My last phone was a note 2 and now looking to upgrade because the battery contacts are warped and I'm open to all options again. It's good to have options!

HUELEN10

With iPhone 6 and Zoom View, the phone becomes fully-usuable to me with one hand. What I would like to know though is how it works. When Zoom View is on, all screenshots I take, even in built-in apps are 1136 × 640. When Zoom View is disabled, all my screenshots are 750 × 1334. The IPS panel on the phone is obviously a fixed-pixel display, but these screenshots and the disparity with them is confusing me. What I want to know is which of these scenarios is going on.

1. Is everything, regardless of being a new app updated for the screen or not, running rendered at 640 × 1136 and being upscaled to 750 × 1334?
  2. Is the system running and all new stuff running rendered at 750 × 1334 with only legacy apps rendered and upscaled from 640 × 1136 (and keeping all screenshots at 640 × 1136 for consistency)?
  3. Does this mean that is scenario 1 is true, that 750 × 1334 wallpapers in Zoom View get downsampled to 640 X 1136 and then, along with the rest of the system, upscaled to 750 × 1334?!?!?!

I want to be able to use every pixel on my screen natively when possible, even when in zoom view. If anyone could dig deeper, I would appreciate it. If it is actually scenario 1, I am gonna be pissed.

With iPhone 6 and Zoom View, the phone becomes fully-usuable to me with one hand. What I would like to know though is how it works. When Zoom View is on, all screenshots I take, even in built-in apps are 1136 × 640. When Zoom View is disabled, all my screenshots are 750 × 1334. The IPS panel on the phone is obviously a fixed-pixel display, but these screenshots and the disparity with them is confusing me. What I want to know is which of these scenarios is going on.

1. Is everything, regardless of being a new app updated for the screen or not, running rendered at 640 × 1136 and being upscaled to 750 × 1334?
  2. Is the system running and all new stuff running rendered at 750 × 1334 with only legacy apps rendered and upscaled from 640 × 1136 (and keeping all screenshots at 640 × 1136 for consistency)?
  3. Does this mean that is scenario 1 is true, that 750 × 1334 wallpapers in Zoom View get downsampled to 640 X 1136 and then, along with the rest of the system, upscaled to 750 × 1334?!?!?!

I want to be able to use every pixel on my screen natively when possible, even when in zoom view. If anyone could dig deeper, I would appreciate it. If it is actually scenario 1, I am gonna be pissed.

I know you're using the 6 & the situation is different, but I'd assume the same applies.

http://daringfireball.net

(When you take a screenshot on the iPhone 6 Plus, you get a 2208 × 1242 image — you get a screenshot of what the app thinks it is displaying, not a screenshot of the actual pixels on screen. If you really do care about pixel-level precision, I’m not sure how you can tell what is being rendered on screen other than to examine the actual iPhone display using an optical loupe.)

After reading your post I've tried zoom for the first time and I can't help but feel it would be blurrier if it were actually rendering in 640 x 1136, yet if it is, the upscaling method is so good that it makes it a non-issue.

HUELEN10

I know you're using the 6 & the situation is different, but I'd assume the same applies.

http://daringfireball.net
I don't see if the same would apply though, this confuses me.
In short, zoomed mode makes each iPhone show the same UI as the standard mode of the next smaller iPhone, scaled up to fill its bigger display. It’s a great solution for anyone who wants a bigger iPhone to show larger content instead of more content. On the iPhone 6, zoomed mode looks a little fuzzy to my eyes. Not bad at all, just a little fuzzy. It should be unnoticeable to anyone whose vision is such that they’d want to use this feature. On the iPhone 6 Plus, it looks nearly perfect. I’m not sure I detect any fuzziness at all. Using the downsampling technique that allows the 1920 × 1080 display to masquerade as a 2208 × 1242 display in standard mode, in zoomed mode, the 401 PPI density and @3x retina graphics allow it to just work, and look nearly perfect, masquerading as a 2001 × 1125 display. It makes sense — in both modes, standard and zoomed, the iPhone 6 Plus is scaling down at @3x, not scaling up at @2x.
What I need to know now is what the 6 is scaling down from and/or scaling up to. This is important to me as I need to make the most of my phone, as well as make pixel-perfect wallpapers for any mode.

Iacobellis

To me, Zoomed View looks like 1136 x 640 being upscaled to 1334 x 750. The OS does not look as crisp as in the native resolution, but now none of the legacy apps look out of place. It's similar to running a MacBook Pro with Retina Display at a resolution lower (not higher) than the Best (Retina) setting.

HUELEN10

To me, Zoomed View looks like 1136 x 640 being upscaled to 1334 x 750. The OS does not look as crisp as in the native resolution, but now none of the legacy apps look out of place. It's similar to running a MacBook Pro with Retina Display at a resolution lower (not higher) than the Best (Retina) setting.
I only use Mac desktops, so i am not that learned on that matter. Isn't that twisted though, because wouldn't that mean that no new app on iPhone 6 can take advantage of the power of the screen if enabled in Zoom mode?

Option 1. It turns the display to the iPhone 5's canvas size (640x360), renders it at the phone's normal retina scale (2x on 6, 3x on 6+) and then upscales it to panel resolution.

HUELEN10

Nope, this isn't what I'm talking about.
Option 1. It turns the display to the iPhone 5's canvas size (640x360), renders it at the phone's normal retina scale (2x on 6, 3x on 6+) and then upscales it to panel resolution.
Damn, so it's a damned compromise? That is horrible to hear. I wish it would just rather have them natively render or downsample everything to 750 × 1334 (with upscaling to an even higher res, and downsampling to 750 × 1334 being done only for legacy apps).

Nope, this isn't what I'm talking about.

Damn, so it's a damned compromise? That is horrible to hear. I wish it would just rather have them natively render or downsample everything to 750 × 1334 (with upscaling to an even higher res, and downsampling to 750 × 1334 being done only for legacy apps).

actually that link is what you are looking for. it tells you the phone native resolution, the one your wallpaper should be near

HUELEN10

actually that link is what you are looking for. it tells you the phone native resolution, the one your wallpaper should be near
750 × 1334? I know that's the display's native res, problem is nothing when zoom view is enabled will ever be 1:1, not even a 750 × 1334 image; it will be downsampled to 640 × 1136, then upscaled to 750 × 1334, won't it?

Top Bottom