• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

750 × 1334? I know that's the display's native res, problem is nothing when zoom view is enabled will ever be 1:1, not even a 750 × 1334 image; it will be downsampled to 640 × 1136, then upscaled to 750 × 1334, won't it?

what is the resolution of Apple's own wallpapers on the 6/plus

HUELEN10

Ugh...
Ox4h9pi.png

To the left is a simple wallpaper I made sized at 750 × 1334 with a simple white squares in black background style. On the right is that size Wallpaper used on Zoom View. What a fucking mess. Keep in mind that this is just what things look like when the wallpaper is downsampled by the system in Zoom View, it still needs to be upscaled by a factor of 117.something percent to fill the screen.

It sucks; either I use standard mode and sacrifice usability, or I use Zoom View and never be able to use every delicious pixel. This is fucked up.

Jtrizzy

Since I am planning to stay with Verizon now, I am looking to order from their site. There is no delay in the silver 128gb iPhone 6, which is what I was eyeing.

But what the hell is Verizon Edge? Something just seems off about it. The price of the phone is split up onto the bill monthly, and I don't pay anything down and get a discount on the line each month.

Where's the catch?

There may be a catch but I went with it anyway. I talked with the guy in store about as in depth as I could. I was grandfathered in on a contract (this would be my 3rd 2 year smartphone deal with them) and that my bill was going to be lowered around $30 if I buy the phone (64 gig for 299) but with the edge program, my bill is going to essentially stay the same (2 gb data plan) and I put down $50 something for the phone.

I won't have mine for close to a month if the estimates are accurate :(

Guess Who

Banned
Zoom View is a compromise for people with poor eyesight, who won't give a shit about pixel perfection anyway. Most people are intended to use it in standard mode, and quite frankly I don't understand how exactly standard mode has "worse usability".

Ashhong

Since I am planning to stay with Verizon now, I am looking to order from their site. There is no delay in the silver 128gb iPhone 6, which is what I was eyeing.

But what the hell is Verizon Edge? Something just seems off about it. The price of the phone is split up onto the bill monthly, and I don't pay anything down and get a discount on the line each month.

Where's the catch?

There's no catch, you just have to decide if it's worth it for you. Depending on the data plan, you get 10 or 25$ off your line. You DO have to pay the entire phone price, which is a lot. However you are allowed to upgrade to another phone once you pay off half of your current phone (and you have to trade it back in to upgrade).

So say you wanted to upgrade to the 6S, you would end up paying about 450$ off of the 6, and then be able to upgrade at no money down. All the while saving 10$ or 25$ a month, which would be about 120$

HUELEN10

Zoom View is a compromise for people with poor eyesight, who won't give a shit about pixel perfection anyway. Most people are intended to use it in standard mode, and quite frankly I don't understand how exactly standard mode has "worse usability".
Smaller icons means I can't fully reach the first icon on each page for starters, I'd call that worse usability.

I am down to these final cases for my plus. help me decide

1. Apple Silicon Case: Does this have enough lips to protect the phone from face impact?

2. i-Blason Crystal Clear Case: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0TJD16/?tag=neogaf0e-20

3. Spigen Air Cushion : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JH837NI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

4. Air Jacket for 6 Plus. http://www.powersupportintl.com/Air-Jacket-Rubber-Black-for-iPhone-6-Plus-p/upyk-82.htm does this have lips?

5. Insignia Case Black: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-case-for-apple-iphone-6-plus-black/8451236.p?id=1219334913176&skuId=8451236&st=categoryid$abcat0811006&cp=1&lp=2

6. Spigen Air Skin: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MEZ5CXO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I can't believe the resolution situation is a such a clusterfuck on iOS. Dammit Apple, get your act together.

HUELEN10

I can't believe the resolution situation is a such a clusterfuck on iOS. Dammit Apple, get your act together.
I'm honestly surprised more hell isn't being raised about this issue, and trust me, it is an issue; it's not like it is an accessibility option, it (Zoom View) is literally set apart from it and is promoted on Apple's site as a normal options setting.

Ugh...
Ox4h9pi.png

To the left is a simple wallpaper I made sized at 750 × 1334 with a simple white squares in black background style. On the right is that size Wallpaper used on Zoom View. What a fucking mess. Keep in mind that this is just what things look like when the wallpaper is downsampled by the system in Zoom View, it still needs to be upscaled by a factor of 117.something percent to fill the screen.

It sucks; either I use standard mode and sacrifice usability, or I use Zoom View and never be able to use every delicious pixel. This is fucked up.

majority of folks will not use the Zoom view. make your wallpaper for the most common denominator, normal view. Realistically how many will REALLY use the zoom view. the accessibility folks who are less than non-accessibility folks. Make 2 wallpapers, one for accessibility and one without and let people decide which one they want to use based on their use of the Phone.

HUELEN10

What's wrong with the Photos app again? This is coming from a guy who dumps his pictures he takes to his computer every day, leaving only wallpaper folders at all times.

-james-

I am down to these final cases for my plus. help me decide

1. Apple Silicon Case: Does this have enough lips to protect the phone from face impact?

2. i-Blason Crystal Clear Case: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0TJD16/?tag=neogaf0e-20

3. Spigen Air Cushion : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JH837NI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

4. Air Jacket for 6 Plus. http://www.powersupportintl.com/Air-Jacket-Rubber-Black-for-iPhone-6-Plus-p/upyk-82.htm does this have lips?

5. Insignia Case Black: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-case-for-apple-iphone-6-plus-black/8451236.p?id=1219334913176&skuId=8451236&st=categoryid$abcat0811006&cp=1&lp=2

6. Spigen Air Skin: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MEZ5CXO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I wound up going with the blue leather case for my space grey 6, my daughter picked the lighter blue silicone Apple case for hers. The silicon one is really nice, great feeling in hand, microfiber like lining, and fits the phone perfectly. It has a lip around the top sides but the bottom near the headphone jack/speaker/Mike is open. Makes it easy to use whatever headphones you want though. Both have about 3-4 millimeters of lip around the screen or so.

Guess Who

Banned
All I'm saying is, it is absolutely baffling to me that anyone would upgrade to a 4.7" iPhone only to waste the extra screen real estate showing exactly what you could see on a 4" screen, but bigger - unless you have poor eyesight. If you have issues reaching things, there are better solutions that don't involve making everything comically large.

And it was always a second-class citizen - naming the modes "standard" and "zoomed" immediately tells you that "zoomed" is not standard. It's a compromise, it's there if you want it, but in most cases both Apple and I will judge you for it.

What's wrong with the Photos app again? This is coming from a guy who dumps his pictures he takes to his computer every day, leaving only wallpaper folders at all times.

iOS 7 had 2 options: Photostream which could be shared with your other iOS devices and Camera Roll where every picture you took and saved ended up

iOS 8 has 3 options: Photos Moments where your Photostream and Most recent taken and download pictures are combined to be used by your other iOS devices. Recent Pictures where your recent pictures will end up and Album view which is Apple encouraging you to make Albums which it didnt in iOS 7

in iOS 7 the cloud pictures were never really in the cloud per say, you had one photo duplicated, one in your photostream folder and one in the camera roll so when you saw the photostream folder in your iOS 7 phone those photostream photos were not being viewed in the cloud, they were being viewed locally, in iOS 8 the Photos Moments is actually in the cloud on most pictures unless some are downloaded locally or all for that matter and only the recent photos and album is on your Phone.

sappyday

I don't know if this is the right place to ask since I don't have the 6 (I have the 5s) but I can't hear anything from my phone. Will actually I can hear stuff like my music library and youtube videos but I can't hear the typing sound or sound from vine/snapchat/games/etc. Also when I put it in vibrate mode it doesn't notify me nor does it notify me if I take it out of vibrate mode.

I went to the beach today and it didn't get wet but it was in the sun a lot so I don't know if that had something to do with it.

iOS 7 had 2 options: Photostream which could be shared with your other iOS devices and Camera Roll where every picture you took and saved ended up

iOS 8 has 3 options: Photos Moments where your Photostream and Most recent taken and download pictures are combined to be used by your other iOS devices. Recent Pictures where your recent pictures will end up and Album view which is Apple encouraging you to make Albums which it didnt in iOS 7

in iOS 7 the cloud pictures were never really in the cloud per say, you had one photo duplicated, one in your photostream folder and one in the camera roll so when you saw the photostream folder in your iOS 7 phone those photostream photos were not being viewed in the cloud, they were being viewed locally, in iOS 8 the Photos Moments is actually in the cloud on most pictures unless some are downloaded locally or all for that matter and only the recent photos and album is on your Phone.

It's actually sometimes even more confusing than that. Since I updated, all my old photos were rolled into collections, as expected. The problem is that now, what's in "recently added" is NOT all that is on my device. A large portion of my Photo Moments is on my device as well as in the cloud, but in order to find out which ones, you have to manually select them and see if there is a "download to phone" option. Even WORSE is that all these things are interconnected, so that I can't delete a local copy of a photo but have it stay in the cloud, deleting it on one device also deletes it from every other device, making the management of local storage basically impossible

HUELEN10

Picked up this case at Best Buy today. I'm pretty happy with it.
Woot, another Speck user! Doean't it feel great in the hand?

Damn, that does sound like a mess! Never knew uploading photos was that cumbersome.
All I'm saying is, it is absolutely baffling to me that anyone would upgrade to a 4.7" iPhone only to waste the extra screen real estate showing exactly what you could see on a 4" screen, but bigger - unless you have poor eyesight.
I didn't upgrade to a 4.7 inch phone, I upgraded to a 2nd generation 64-bit iOS device that (unfortunately) happened to come with a larger, higher-res (yet same density) screen. I was hoping I would be able to get the same real estate as before, but rendered sharper and displayed bigger; I was wrong.
If you have issues reaching things, there are better solutions that don't involve making everything comically large.
What's comically larger about Zoom View? It's no less workspace than any prior iPhone, and the size of the icons are very reachable and easy to hit, yet don't go overboard. What better solution is there than to have things just work?
And it was always a second-class citizen - naming the modes "standard" and "zoomed" immediately tells you that "zoomed" is not standard. It's a compromise, it's there if you want it, but in most cases both Apple and I will judge you for it.
Then why is it not hidden under the accessibility settings like everything else of this supposed sort? Additionally, this means that it is impossible to watch video in HD on the damn thing with Zoom View on, VIDEO! As something that is a full-screen experience to someone with poor eyesight (which is a reason for using zoom according to you), wouldn't that be completely counter-intuitive?
It's actually sometimes even more confusing than that. Since I updated, all my old photos were rolled into collections, as expected. The problem is that now, what's in "recently added" is NOT all that is on my device. A large portion of my Photo Moments is on my device as well as in the cloud, but in order to find out which ones, you have to manually select them and see if there is a "download to phone" option. Even WORSE is that all these things are interconnected, so that I can't delete a local copy of a photo but have it stay in the cloud, deleting it on one device also deletes it from every other device, making the management of local storage basically impossible
So there's no way to dump and backup everything, then dump that to your computer, wipe everything, import everything, and start fresh? If so, that sucks.

I think that would have occured in beginning as you migrated to 8 but if you start with 0 pictures in cloud or you move photos around and then move on from that point it starts working like apple wants it to be. the migration to ios 8 part is what is worse but if by design of starting of scratch, it is better than ios 7

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Album view. Lock screen doesnt rotate.
The Album View part is disheartening and makes me not want a Plus as much. I mean come on. The Plus is made to be used in both orientations just as well as the other. But they still have that useless Album View?

I am truly disappointed. Maybe they'll dump it when they finally release the update that adds Up Next to Music.app. i.e. when pigs fly at this rate. I'm pretty sure Music wasn't even touched much at all in 8. Which is really sad. iTunes gets more updates and attention than Music these days.

The lock screen doesn't surprise me though. But if it's meant to be a "phablet" device, then they need to start treating it like one. Hopefully 8.1 is a big update with some really good Plus tweaks.

Guess Who

Banned
The changes to Photos are going to make way more sense when iCloud Photo Library comes out - only the "Recently Added" photos are actually stored locally, everything else goes into iCloud and leaves only a low-res copy on the device, and all your device shares one big library that syncs over the cloud so of course deleting from one deletes on all the others.

But until that ships, they're trying to use Photo Stream to "simulate" that experience and it's a little janky.

HUELEN10

I almost feel like I am a bizzarro-world iPhone user. Like, I never realized so many people carried so many pictures with them. Always thoguht of my iPhone as a shoot 'n dump device.

I think that would have occured in beginning as you migrated to 8 but if you start with 0 pictures in cloud or you move photos around and then move on from that point it starts working like apple wants it to be. the migration to ios 8 part is what is worse but if by design of starting of scratch, it is better than ios 7

Even ignoring the migration to iOS 8 thing, the fact that deleting a photo on my phone also deletes it from the cloud (and thus all of my other devices) is absurd. That's definitely by design, either that or a massive, massive oversight. If I want to set my Macbook to automatically save every photo I take, but then I delete a photo off the phone that took it to save some space, it'll also delete off my Mac. There's no separation between local and cloud storage

I almost feel like I am a bizzarro-world iPhone user. Like, I never realized so many people carried so many pictures with them. Always thoguht of my iPhone as a shoot 'n dump device.

The perfect implementation of the new Photos would be that no photos are actually locally stored on your phone, but through the magic of the internet you have access to all of them on the go anyway. If you want to show a friend an old photo, it's there waiting for you without you actually having to keep it on there. Of course right now, that's just not possible, unless I'm missing some very crucial options

Iacobellis

Woot, another Speck user! Doean't it feel great in the hand?

Damn, that does sound like a mess! Never knew uploading photos was that cumbersome.

I didn't upgrade to a 4.7 inch phone, I upgraded to a 2nd generation 64-bit iOS device that (unfortunately) happened to come with a larger, higher-res (yet same density) screen. I was hoping I would be able to get the same real estate as before, but rendered sharper and displayed bigger; I was wrong.

What's comically larger about Zoom View? It's no less workspace than any prior iPhone, and the size of the icons are very reachable and easy to hit, yet don't go overboard. What better solution is there than to have things just work?

Then why is it not hidden under the accessibility settings like everything else of this supposed sort? Additionally, this means that it is impossible to watch video in HD on the damn thing with Zoom View on, VIDEO! As something that is a full-screen experience to someone with poor eyesight (which is a reason for using zoom according to you), wouldn't that be completely counter-intuitive?

So there's no way to dump and backup everything, then dump that to your computer, wipe everything, import everything, and start fresh? If so, that sucks.

Why didn't you buy glasses before spending twice the amount for an iPhone 6 you're obviously displeased with?

Koyuga

Finally got around to ordering a 6 Plus, should get here on Oct 21st at the earliest.
No idea how I'm gonna stand the wait until then... I need to makes 240fps slow-mo videos!

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Every single thing in life has a learning curve. Some things are super easy, some things are super hard. Going from a 4-inch screen to a 5.5-inch screen is something that takes at least a small amount of adjustment. The phone is now an entirely different shape and weight, made out of different materials, and has much more screen space than what some of us have been using the past 7 years. That takes a little bit of getting used to, and has absolutely nothing to do with it being a shit product or not.

What an incredibly strange outlook on life. (Though I understand and empathize with your spoilered text)

Sorry for the late reply.

Learning how a gadget works =/= getting used to it's badly thought out quirks/product decisions.

For 5 generations the iphone was "usable" (ergonomics wise), out of some product placement necessity (something new/ something to battle of competitors) they started to not care about usability anymore. Thing is, i didn't stop caring about it and i still value it more then a bigger battery and or a bigger screen.

No matter how hard i try, my thumb is not going to get any longer, or making phone juggling one handed any less annoying.

I held my friends 4.7 inch Nexus in hands yesterday, and i personally don't see the use in a phone where i can't reach the most upper part of the screen.

----

=> If Apple would allow the "task bar" to be switchable so it can go from the top to the bottom of the screen or simply optimize the OS for these bigger screens , many of my worries would vanish.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You're surprised people don't want to waste time and hook one device up to another device? No one wants to think about this stuff.

123rl

Can anyone help? I can't upload slow motion videos in hd to Facebook. If I upload from the Photos app it works in slow-mo but isn't HD. If I upload from the app it works in HD but at regular speed. If I upload to YouTube or Vimeo then it works in slow motion and is HD too. I can't see any settings I may have missed so my only suggestion is it's a glitch, maybe with Facebook and iOS 8.

TimFL

X8zSBzal.jpg

That can't be right...

iPhone 6? I had 25h standby and 5h usage (with heavy cell reception drop&search for 4h straight + heavy use of stuff like WhatsApp and a few phone calls). Did you check your background app refresh settings? Could be some app draining a lot of battery.

Mail push is a heavy task too (it's the nr. 1 battery usage thing in my list, mainly due to low reception it seems).

Purexed

Banned
Picked up this case at Best Buy today. I'm pretty happy with it.

Was going to go this route, but taking the case off was a very frustrating experience at Best Buy. This was a dealbreaker as I was concerned I'd crack my phone's frame.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
I think I'm going to go caseless with apple care+. Good/bad idea?
How good are you with handling your phone? AppleCare+ is still $79 on top of the initial cost if you blow up your phone (and you get two), whereas you're much more likely to do some random nicks and scratches which a case would cover.

I go naked without AppleCare.

Believe in yourself. Use the force.

I'm not surprised that the silicon held up better (although as stated, this is only one test & a different one may lead to an alternative outcome), although the likelihood of the phone receiving a ten foot drop in practice is not especially high.

Soybean

I think I'm going to go caseless with apple care+. Good/bad idea?
I'm trying to make the same decision. I'm definitely going caseless and in the past I've given myself peace of mind with AppleCare+.

But screen replacement for the iPhone 6 is $109. If I smash it twice that's $218 compared to AppleCare+ at $257 ($99 + $79 + $79). I figure American Express' extended warranty coverage can take care of non-accidental equipment failures in year 2. Not to mention despite a lot of drops over the years I've never actually shattered my screen.

So AppleCare+ doesn't seem to make sense to me. Does that seem logical? The only benefit I can think of is AppleCare makes replacement ridiculously easy.

Top Bottom