• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Why I prefer the iPhone 6 over the 6 Plus: The Plus can't replace the iPad Mini yet

An interesting read but the main complaint seems to be that there aren't enough apps optimized for the Plus. Scott insinuates that the Plus will always be the one stuck in the middle between an iPad and an iPhone 6, never getting apps optimized for it.

I don't think that will be the case. It's only a couple of days since release.

I do agree with the pockatibility argument though. That's fair. He also mentions that he carries around the Mini with him everywhere he goes. In that case, I'd probably get the regular 6.

I was searching for images of comics on the 6+ and the one image has a comic being read in landscape mode... ugh.

Caseless is the way to go! Or if you have to get one get one of the realllllllly thin ones.

Otterbox is for construction workers and whatnot. Or the clinically clumsy.

I don't know why some people think the Plus is going to receive apps built specially for it. Just because Apple tweaked a few of their apps to work that way doesn't mean anyone else is going to bother. Especially when the Plus is going to be the least popular version of the 6.

Eiolon

Why I prefer the iPhone 6 over the 6 Plus: The Plus can't replace the iPad Mini yet

An interesting read but the main complaint seems to be that there aren't enough apps optimized for the Plus. Scott insinuates that the Plus will always be the one stuck in the middle between an iPad and an iPhone 6, never getting apps optimized just for it.

I do agree with the pockatibility argument though. That's fair. He also mentions that he carries around the Mini with him everywhere he goes. In that case, I'd probably get the regular 6.

I was searching for images of comics on the 6+ and the one image has a comic being read in landscape mode... ugh.

Since it appears the Plus is outselling the regular by 4:1 (I'm just guessing based on daily manufacturing numbers) I doubt that will be the case. But if it does happen Apple may have just indirectly fragmented its market for a third time.

I don't know why some people think the Plus is going to receive apps built specially for it. Just because Apple tweaked a few of their apps to work that way doesn't mean anyone else is going to bother. Especially when the Plus is going to be the least popular version of the 6.

Built especially for it? No. But I think they will either downscale some iPad UI concepts for the screen or simply add in hooks for extra UI functionality.

There won't be apps specific to the 6 Plus but I don't think you're going to have a problem with Apps that need to scale to fit on the larger screen for that much longer.

I think it will get the staples, but on a broader level, there's certainly not going to be the same level of attention lavished upon it. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of developers work out a middle-ground where they don't bring the app entirety up to spec, but do include the basic 6 Plus framework - the keyboard, for instance.

Don't be so surprised if the plus sells more than the 6. My Sam's Club cell phone center has had more requests for the plus than the 6 by at least 4 to 1

Don't be so surprised if the plus sells more than the 6. My Sam's Club cell phone center has had more requests for the plus than the 6 by at least 4 to 1

I'm curious how things end up looking. A case could definitely be made that the hype around the 6 Plus is inflated by the lack of actual phones.

We're hearing a lot more about it because it's such a large departure from anything we've seen before from Apple. That generates buzz and more people want to get their hands on it.

I still think the regular 6 is selling a lot more. But you can just go in to a store and buy those.

Then again, it could really be that the demand IS that huge for the Plus. Talking to some people in retail suggests that is the case.

Got to try both phones today at the Apple Store in regent street. I thought the plus would be definitely too big for me and it would just solidify my decision to pick a 6. Totally not the case at all, I don't consider myself to have big hands but I could reach the top of the screen with my thumb by shifting the phone in my hand (in the same way I do already with my 5s).
Noticed the BBC website loaded the mobile version on the 6 whereas the same page loaded as the desktop version on the plus.
Some idiot set the font size to maximum on the plus display model. Things looked ridiculous until I realised what was going on. For a second there I thought 'yeah this is too big'.
I've got a gold 5s right now but the plus in gold is too much. On the 6 gold looks ok though.
I'll probably pick a 6 when I get to upgrade next week but the choice is harder now I've seen them in person!

reKon

Banned

An interesting read but the main complaint seems to be that there aren't enough apps optimized for the Plus. Scott insinuates that the Plus will always be the one stuck in the middle between an iPad and an iPhone 6, never getting apps optimized for it.

Dat fragmentation feel..

Built especially for it? No. But I think they will either downscale some iPad UI concepts for the screen or simply add in hooks for extra UI functionality.

There won't be apps specific to the 6 Plus but I don't think you're going to have a problem with Apps that need to scale to fit on the larger screen for that much longer.

I never said anything sbout specific apps. I just don't see developers bothering to customize anything for a little extra screen real estate on the least popular version of the new iPhone.

The plus is not a legitimate replacement for an iPad Mini. I think developers will mostly agree.

There isn't a chance in hell the Plus sells more than the 6.

Since it appears the Plus is outselling the regular by 4:1 (I'm just guessing based on daily manufacturing numbers) I doubt that will be the case. But if it does happen Apple may have just indirectly fragmented its market for a third time.

I think the Plus is selling so well right now because nobody can get one. Everywhere I went yesterday Plus versions were obviously gone but so were 6 models, and considering how many more 6 models were available I don't see how sales are going to stay at a 4:1 ratio after supply stabilizes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the 'custom' experience is that you'll have more real estate for content. So eg more space for your web page in safari and less space taken up by icons etc.

badb0y

Why wouldn't we get optimized apps for the Plus? If Apple plans to ship 80 million units this year and 20 million are iPhone Plus models that's a pretty sizable user base. We got iPad app optimization a with a much smaller userbase.

These kind of articles were going to pop up as being the common contrarian opinion as the majority of people who got the plus are more than happy with it. It's the disruption method journalism where they write an article of something too large. His apps for plus not there are a short term view which will be over in a couple of months at most for the majority of apps which are even updating. The author doesn't realise that when you develop for the iOS 8 update it lets you optimize the display automatically so that point is moot.too

Enco

Tried the 6 and plus in the Apple Store and the plus is definitely too big for me.

Curved edges are nice but holy grip Batman there are gonna be a lot of drops.

Also the 6 seems to have really but icons. Looks weird

Why wouldn't we get optimized apps for the Plus? If Apple plans to ship 80 million units this year and 20 million are iPhone Plus models that's a pretty sizable user base. We got iPad app optimization a with a much smaller userbase.

The solution is actually already in place where the api does it for the developer the authors have no idea what they are talking about when they say the plus is not going to be optimized like 4.7. I

http://www.zdnet.com/apple-to-devel...on-iphone-6-iphone-6-plus-screens-7000033490/

Any good articles on how to design for the iPhone 6 and 6+? Going from original to retina was easy. Not sure how to proceed now making iPhone 6 and 6+ optimized apps.

Is there something you have to do to enable the health app to start collecting step data etc? I didn't before on my 5s on GMA but my 6+ isn't collecting anything and it's selected to show on dashboard

Ensirius

OMG this case. I'm in love.

qAECqaP.jpg

Here it is on video

komplanen

When the phone shows up I want to go naked because it looks gorgeous and has that nice rounded edge on the glass but people keep saying the phone is slippery and the rounded edges make it hard to hold. How's gaf feel about it so far?

Does anyone have those leather iphone cases? Is it worth the $40? Any drawbacks?

I have it.

Now I have one for the 5 and absolutely love the feel and weight (none). When I got my case and put it on I was wondering whey they left the bottom open and thought it looked silly. I sold my 5 and was taking the old case off it and realized why its good that its open because its a royal pain in the ass to get the 5/5s one off.

I'd recommend throwing away too much money on it.

When the phone shows up I want to go naked because it looks gorgeous and has that nice rounded edge on the glass but people keep saying the phone is slippery and the rounded edges make it hard to hold. How's gaf feel about it so far?

It looks fantastic naked but sometimes shit happens nicks/scuffs etc. I would cry if I dented a corner this weekend.

Its not slippery at all but when winter comes and the air gets dry (as does my skin) it will be more difficult to handle.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Got to try both phones today at the Apple Store in regent street. I thought the plus would be definitely too big for me and it would just solidify my decision to pick a 6. Totally not the case at all, I don't consider myself to have big hands but I could reach the top of the screen with my thumb by shifting the phone in my hand (in the same way I do already with my 5s).
Noticed the BBC website loaded the mobile version on the 6 whereas the same page loaded as the desktop version on the plus.
Some idiot set the font size to maximum on the plus display model. Things looked ridiculous until I realised what was going on. For a second there I thought 'yeah this is too big'.
I've got a gold 5s right now but the plus in gold is too much. On the 6 gold looks ok though.
I'll probably pick a 6 when I get to upgrade next week but the choice is harder now I've seen them in person!

This is making that 1GB of ram look more worrying.

NekoFever

Reachability is very useful. It makes it possible to use the 6 one-handed with basically the same grip as I used on the 4. I could never get on with something bigger, though.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm trying to make the same decision. I'm definitely going caseless and in the past I've given myself peace of mind with AppleCare+.

But screen replacement for the iPhone 6 is $109. If I smash it twice that's $218 compared to AppleCare+ at $257 ($99 + $79 + $79). I figure American Express' extended warranty coverage can take care of non-accidental equipment failures in year 2. Not to mention despite a lot of drops over the years I've never actually shattered my screen.

So AppleCare+ doesn't seem to make sense to me. Does that seem logical? The only benefit I can think of is AppleCare makes replacement ridiculously easy.

You are forgetting about things like accidentally destroying your phone via water damage or destroying more than the screen. If that happens you're on the hook for a whole new phone. With Apple care+ you'd be covered.

BSsBrolly

Banned
So I've got a problem with my phone.. When I make calls to other mobile phones, I can't hear a ring on my end but the call still goes through and when the person answers I can hear them just fine. Anyone else have this problem?

Now that I just missed a 6 Plus I can't leave the reservation page. I keep refreshing every few seconds.

Damn the stores that are in other provinces that have stock. There is 128gb gold that is just taunting me from Quebec.

Edit: Damn, there are a lot of Plus available. They are just not in my area.

komplanen

I just learned how lucky I got. In Finland the iPhone 6 will begin sales next friday. I got a pre-order in during a night sale last thursday and it turns out they only sold the first 100 phones :-D Obviously they sold out faster than you could imagine. This was the most popular operator.

Top Bottom