• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

It may have been asked and answered but how do you get the dashboard to pop down via the home button to reach the top row of icons (on a 6)?

Thanks in advance!

Addnan

So these were my pictures, but I wasn't even close in realising what was actually happening.

This is INSANE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQx8ezZbv7M

Yeah Regent Street was crazy. I went past it just after 8 it was I think and there was still a huge queue.
raue9Lul.jpg

I understand the case thing. If you have a habit of dropping phones, have kids, want something grippier than the back of the phone - sure.

The screen protector talk - THAT'S the stuff that's blasphemous.

I bought a 3 pack of screen protectors as they were cheap but just couldn't bring myself to put one on. I went without one on my 4 for over 3 years and there's maybe 2 hairline scratches on the surface that are only barely noticeable when the screen is off. That's from having it in my pocket all day, every day.

That said, I sure love my black leather official case. Sexy as hell and uber-slim to boot!

kaskade

Nice having the 64 gb vs 32. I can finally keep a couple bigger games on my phone. I pretty much had to be really limited if I wanted my music on there.

Juice

I wonder what opening weekend sales were. The apple stores nationwide have had ample iPhone 6 supply all weekend, something that wasn't true of the 5S, and that one both had less hype and tighter supply.

I'm predicting 14-18 million

northead

Holy fucking shit at the park reveal :-O

DAMN. That is insane.

What the fuck, that is absolutely insane!!

Did they even have phones for all of them?

Yeah Regent Street was crazy. I went past it just after 8 it was I think and there was still a huge queue.
raue9Lul.jpg

holy shit

hahha
ahaha
haha
wow.

really?

...yup.

Juice

By the way folks, lots of people are experiencing reachability JUST NOT WORKING. So when folks ask how to activate it, a double tap of the home screen may not work.

If I reboot my phone reachability works for a few minutes but at some point just stops completely.

what's that?

i've been out of the Apple circle for a while and i'm not up to speed :/

$99 to apple. extends warranty from one to two years. Covers accidental damage at $69 per repair up to two times

Juice

So if your screen is scratched or your phone is dinged up from butterfingers Apple care will replace the whole phone?

No the iPhone 6 is much more repairable than all its predecessors. Anything short of damage to the case is likely going to be fixed in store. Including batteries and screen assemblies

It'll also cost $69 so may not be worth it to you.

That's a bigger hassle than using a case. My Spigen clearcase provides protection, and you can still see the nice phone design.

I drop the phone about twice a year. I wouldn't want to visit an Apple store for that even half the time.

T.O.P

Banned
That's a bigger hassle than using a case. My Spigen clearcase provides protection, and you can still see the nice phone design.

I drop the phone about twice a year. I wouldn't want to visit an Apple store for that even half the time.

I guess iìll grab this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJA3Q1Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Don't want a case that covers the phone colour :/

this one by any chance?

I'll order it today since it will take a bit to get to Italy, probably in time with the Iphone launch here

Kysen

All those people lined up like that, when all it took me was to get up at 7:45 last week and a few clicks later I had a preorder. Phone arrived first thing release day, no hassle.

I don't get it.

Mononoke

Banned
Now that I just missed a 6 Plus I can't leave the reservation page. I keep refreshing every few seconds.

Damn the stores that are in other provinces that have stock. There is 128gb gold that is just taunting me from Quebec.

Edit: Damn, there are a lot of Plus available. They are just not in my area.

Well I'm jelly. The Plus were pretty much non-existent in the US. :p

Now that I just missed a 6 Plus I can't leave the reservation page. I keep refreshing every few seconds.

Damn the stores that are in other provinces that have stock. There is 128gb gold that is just taunting me from Quebec.

Edit: Damn, there are a lot of Plus available. They are just not in my area.
Yup. Toronto has nothing.

Sobriquet

Apple store rep: we don't encourage screen protectors or Matte films as the loss in ppi is not worth it. Better option is to get apple care

A couple of years ago they stopped selling them in store and online. They're back, though.

I'm kinda glad that the new screen protectors don't fit well. Hopefully those that typically use them will realize how much better the phones are without.

Iacobellis

What seems to be the average battery life on the 6? Coming off of a full charge, I'm at 36% with 6 hours and 57 minutes of usage and 10 hours, 30 minutes of Standby time. Podcasts is at the top with Home & Lock Screen coming in second.

I plan to drain the battery all the way through before the day ends since I have yet to properly calibrate it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
cosign... just get that shit guys, it's worth it. No case, no stupid screen protectors.

That's expensive for something that I'm not gonna break, especially with a case on hand. I hate how most phones feel naked, the iphone 6 plus included.

I might go without a screen protector for the time being (until some good ones come out) but I don't like scratches on my screen if i can avoid them.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm still on the fence between case and caseless. I know I'll be selling my 6 Plus next year. So good condition will help for resale. At the same time, both options are expensive as there are no cases available here that aren't Apple, and Amazon imports all end up costing $20+ in shipping alone. And they add bulk to an already chunky phone. AppleCare is something like $150. Ehhh...

K_B

AppleCare has always been worth it to me. I dropped my iphone 4 running and had a hairline crack on the screen. I brought it to the apple store fully expecting to pay the 70 dollars or so for the new phone and the guy from the genius bar just handed me a new phone for free and said that hairline cracks in the screen were fully covered with AppleCare. Sometimes I think that Apple's customer service even outweighs their products.

sangreal

I never get applecare because it doesn't cover loss which I'm far more I likely to do than break my phone. I just use the assurion insurance. I've filed several claims and never had a problem

I find square trade a better deal than apple care

AppleCare - $99
- 2 years full coverage (including accidental)
- Up to 2 accidental damage incidents
- each incident subject to $79 service fee
- provides repair or replacement, parts and labor
- mail-in repair or carry-in repair

SquareTrade - $99
- 2 years full coverage (including accidental, and overlaps with apple's 1 yr limited warranty)
- Up to 4 replacements and/or repairs over the life of the plan
- Genius Bar repair reimbursement or next-day replacement
- $75 deductible per claim

Is it just me, or does squaretrade seem like a better deal, as long as they're around for the next 2 years?

Enfinit

I'm still on the fence between case and caseless. I know I'll be selling my 6 Plus next year. So good condition will help for resale. At the same time, both options are expensive as there are no cases available here that aren't Apple, and Amazon imports all end up costing $20+ in shipping alone. And they add bulk to an already chunky phone. AppleCare is something like $150. Ehhh...
AppleCare's $100 for a 2-year 2-incident plan. It's not too bad, and my experiences with Apple customer service has always been nothing short of phenomenal. If it helps, I currently have the black leather iPhone 6 case made by Apple, and I love it. It's very slimming, feels good in the hand, and it looks especially aesthetically pleasing. I recommend it if you want to shell out the extra $50.

AppleCare has always been worth it to me. I dropped my iphone 4 running and had a hairline crack on the screen. I brought it to the apple store fully expecting to pay the 70 dollars or so for the new phone and the guy from the genius bar just handed me a new phone for free and said that hairline cracks in the screen were fully covered with AppleCare. Sometimes I think that Apple's customer service even outweighs their products.
Apple's customer service is absolutely phenomenal. I've taken my iPhone 4 in for a hairline scratch, as well as a battery replacement for my 13" MacBook Pro (2010), and both times I was expecting to pay some sort of price out of pocket and wait a considerable amount of time for repairs.

At the time, my iPhone 4 was covered by AppleCare and my MacBook was not, however I received a brand-new iPhone 4 for no cost and they replaced my battery in my MacBook for free as well, and I had to wait maybe a half hour in the store for each service. Absolutely wonderful experience. The Geniuses even chilled with me (I was by myself both times) just to keep me company while my products were being serviced. They're great. Apple really, really cares about customer experience.

I find square trade a better deal than apple care

AppleCare - $99
- 2 years full coverage (including accidental)
- Up to 2 accidental damage incidents
- each incident subject to $79 service fee
- provides repair or replacement, parts and labor
- mail-in repair or carry-in repair

SquareTrade - $99
- 2 years full coverage (including accidental, and overlaps with apple's 1 yr limited warranty)
- Up to 4 replacements and/or repairs over the life of the plan
- Genius Bar repair reimbursement or next-day replacement
- $75 deductible per claim

Is it just me, or does squaretrade seem like a better deal, as long as they're around for the next 2 years?

I went with square trade since I don't mind getting reimbursed if anything happens. I also have a 40% off coupon code making it $84. PM if you want a code.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
AppleCare+ and minimal case is always the best option.

Everyone I know who goes caseless has small scratches and dings on their phone (usually on edges, frequently the back) after a few months. Minimal case is to keep phone flawless under daily use. Applecare is for major incidents since the minimal case won't help with those. I can't stand a phone with any scratches or dings :(.

ZeroX03

Banned
AppleCare's $100 for a 2-year 2-incident plan. It's not too bad, and my experiences with Apple customer service has always been nothing short of phenomenal. If it helps, I currently have the black leather iPhone 6 case made by Apple, and I love it. It's very slimming, feels good in the hand, and it looks especially aesthetically pleasing. I recommend it if you want to shell out the extra $50.

I'm not U.S.based, so AppleCare is more expensive and the customer service is not quite up to the some standard.

Top Bottom