• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I am down to these final cases for my plus. help me decide

1. Apple Silicon Case: Does this have enough lips to protect the phone from face impact?

There was a drop test video posted earlier, and yes, it looks like it does protect it from face impact extremely well.

I'm using one on my 6 and it's pretty nice. Minimalist form factor and light. I'm not a huge fan of other companies' logos on cases, so I almost never end up using them.

Ambient80

You should at least have the number of steps in Health.

How does one set that up? Is it just automatic or do you have to calibrate it to your stride length and such? Just wondering since I'll be getting my phone soon.

Also lol:

uMoTEic.jpg

HUELEN10

Why didn't you buy glasses before spending twice the amount for an iPhone 6 you're obviously displeased with?
That is uncalled for and ignorant, not to mention quite offensive. Point is, my vision is so good, I can tell when something is not being displayed optimally. And yes, I stand by that it is a shitty decision that Apple makes it so that Zoom View users watching full screen down sampled 1080p video only enjoy a fraction of the clarity of non Zoom View users. There are many reasons why someone would prefer Zoom View, you don't need to need glasses to see that.
You're surprised people don't want to waste time and hook one device up to another device? No one wants to think about this stuff.
I honesty didn't think of it like that. I treat my phone like a computer, and check up and optimize everything to my liking; I like spending hours, sometimes days to get everything just right, because when I do, I don't have to settle and will never have to deal with those problems again.
Yeah I think AppleCare is going to be my "case"
Keep in mind that you still have to pay for accidental damage. Man, I miss AppleCare, not Applecare Plus, but the original AppleCare for iPhone; some of us have no need for accidental damage.
I never get applecare because it doesn't cover loss which I'm far more I likely to do than break my phone. I just use the assurion insurance. I've filed several claims and never had a problem
How many times have you lost your phone?

Yup. Toronto has nothing.

It did when I got on. I could have grabbed a 128gb at Yorkdale. I was hoping for a 64. Should have just gone 128. I'm not sure if we will see a few trickle in throughout the day. I just keep checking.

Yorkdale, Eaton Centre, Sherway and Square One had them for about 5 minutes though.

Yeah I'm not giving Apple an extra 100 + 70 eurobucks just for the chance that I drop my phone.

Sucks that there are barely any cases in store around here, just bad cheap ones.

How do the Amex warranties work anyways, and do they let you get official repairs from Apple?

I think they just refund you the amount from
repairing it on your own. Can't remember since I've only used that feature once, and it was a while ago.

Most CCs offer similar perks.

Alebrije

Besides consoloes and phones what other product causes people to form files to get one at release day?

Impresed that a phone causes this....

There was a drop test video posted earlier, and yes, it looks like it does protect it from face impact extremely well.

I'm using one on my 6 and it's pretty nice. Minimalist form factor and light. I'm not a huge fan of other companies' logos on cases, so I almost never end up using them.
So you have a link to the video by any chance

LCfiner

Besides consoloes and phones what other product causes people to form files to get one at release day?

Impresed that a phone causes this....

it’a been causing this for, like, 8 years now. At this point I’m not impressed and I just expect it to happen.

And I honestly don’t know what else creates lines like this. People go nuts over their phones.

-griffy-

Banned
Or call apple directly. That is what I did. They run a remote diagnostic.

Ah, I didn't realize that was an option. Here's directly from the AppleCare+ site for iPhone:

Purchase AppleCare+ with your new iPhone. Or buy it within 60 days of your iPhone purchase:

At an Apple Retail Store (inspection of iPhone and proof of purchase are required)
OR call (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)

Ya no

Anyone know how long the verizon trade in deal is going to last? I want to go trade in my 4S, but none of the stores around me have any available at the moment...

HoTHiTTeR

Anyone having pairing/call audio issues with the iPhone 6 and their cars? I can pair and use bt audio and pandora, but calling functions don't work.

Gah. Hearing this kills me. How can store's still have + units when some of us are supposedly waiting 4 maybe even 6 weeks to get our day 1 pre orders shipped to us. :(

Paying for something and then being told they have no idea when you will get it doesn't feel good. :(
Moral of the story: there is never any reason to preorder

You are already a guaranteed sale, they need to get inventory to other potential buyers

Mii

Banned
Reporting back after two days of use of the 6. I caved and bought apple's silicone case. The phone is too large and too smooth, and I do not trust myself to be able to grip this phone as well as the 5. The silicone case is helping as I can grip the phone less tightly, it grips automatically in my hand, and I can reach more of the keys with one hand. I can also more easily shift my whole hand up and down the phone with the grip of the silicone.

It bugs me that I need a case after not needing one for the 3G, 4, or 5, but thankfully it's not too heavy.

I'm not noticing any battery life improvement over the 5, which is upsetting, but I'm enjoying TouchID a lot.

Anyone having pairing/call audio issues with the iPhone 6 and their cars? I can pair and use bt audio and pandora, but calling functions don't work.

I had Bluetooth audio stop working in my truck Friday after pairing and working for an hour. Just dropped out and would not reconnect, haven't tried fixing it yet.

Juice

Sites are reporting this as a price increase for some bizarre reason but AFAICT apple just slashed prices on screen replacements (previously $269 for the 5s):

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

Only $109 to replace an iPhone 6 screen and $129 to replace a Plus (or 5 series) screen.

That is a great fucking deal and will put all the second hand repair guys on notice. glad I didn't but Apple care!

ant1532

Banned
Does anyone know if stores like Target, Walmart, Radioshack are getting some shipments tomorrow? I think some Targets near me are expecting some.

Husker86

Another small thing I noticed about the 6, it's details like this that makes me love Apple devices. With Android phones sometimes I would accidentally hit the sleep/wake button while adjusting the volume because they're across from each other and when you grip the phone to press on the volume rocker, your thumb may squeeze the sleep/wake button, putting the phone into sleep. Drives me batty and I expected the same from iPhone 6, it was one of the things I didn't like about the side button when I saw the leaks. Try hitting the sleep/wake button at the same time as the volume up or down button, the phone doesn't go to sleep. Apple knew this would be a common thing and included some software to ignore the sleep/wake button press in this scenario. It's all in the details.

The Nexus 5 ignores the sleep button in this case, too.

billeh

I got the black leather Apple case after using the clear Spigen case for a while. Has a very 'premium' feel to it. Only complaint it that lint from my pocket seems to gather near the earpiece after a while.

Otherwise, I'm happy with it!

Blackhead

Redarse
Sites are reporting this as a price increase for some bizarre reason but AFAICT apple just slashed prices on screen replacements (previously $269 for the 5s):

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

Only $109 to replace an iPhone 6 screen and $129 to replace a Plus (or 5 series) screen.

That is a great fucking deal and will put all the second hand repair guys on notice. glad I didn't but Apple care!

They are referring to the out of warranty cost. Look at the relevant Apple page again:
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

Out-of-warranty cost:
iPhone 6 Plus: $329
iPhone 6: $299
iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5: $269​

Juice

They are referring to the out of warranty cost. Look at the relevant Apple page again:
http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

Out-of-warranty cost:
iPhone 6 Plus: $329
iPhone 6: $299
iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5: $269​

Yeah but screens are probably 70% of all repairs and those were treated as any other out of warranty repairs (eg $269) until last week.

Unless you plan on going for a swim or driving over your phone, repairs just got cheaper

Yeah but screens are probably 70% of all repairs and those were treated as any other out of warranty repairs (eg $269) until last week.

Unless you plan on going for a swim or driving over your phone, repairs just got cheaper
If you drop your phone and the screen smashes, isn't that not covered by warranty?

Nicktendo86

So had a chance to handle a friend's 6 earlier. Most in here have probably anyway but my two pence worth anyway;

Phone feels way too slippery. Almost dropped it at one point.

Looks/feel way bigger than it should, I actually thought my friend had the 6+ at first. I can't put my finger on what it is, perhaps the shape. Amazingly thin bit still felt bulky :/

Hate the back in person, I think the plastic strips look cheap and awful. Really breaks up the otherwise slick appearance.

Actually like the double tap home button to bring down the screen feature, but why not being down the status bar as well?

Screen looked gorgeous, have to give credit where it is due but looks lovely. Colours popped like an amoled screen.

Overall a resounded men, even though the screen is great.

MercuryLS

Banned
After using the iPhone 6 for a few days and going back to reset my iPhone 5 to sell, I do miss the more compact size of the that phone. The extra screen size on the 6 is nice, but it's not as effortless to use one handed like the 5.

My biggest reason for getting the 6 is for apple pay (when it eventually comes to Canada). It's a shame that 4" high end phones are done.

So had a chance to handle a friend's 6 earlier. Most in here have probably anyway but my two pence worth anyway;

Phone feels way too slippery. Almost dropped it at one point.

Looks/feel way bigger than it should, I actually thought my friend had the 6+ at first. I ant put my finger on what it is, perhaps the shape. Amazimgly thin bit still felt bulky :/

Hate the back in person, I think the plastic strips look cheap and awful. Really breaks up the otherwise slick appearance.

Actually like the double tap home button to bring down the screen feature, but why not being down the status bar as well?

Screen looked gorgeous, have to give credit where it is due but looks lovely. Colours popped like an amoled screen.

Overall a resounded men, even though the screen is great.
Not trying to excuse bad design, it is too slippery, the plastic bands are ugly - but a lot of your problems are solved by buying a case for it. :p I felt the exact same way when I got it, but after using it for a day and with a nice case, I'm really enjoying it.

I still hate that I can't really reach the top corners, though. It's just not useful.

Nicktendo86

Not trying to excuse bad design, it is too slippery, the plastic bands are ugly - but a lot of your problems are solved by buying a case for it. :p I felt the exact same way when I got it, but after using it for a day and with a nice case, I'm really enjoying it.

I still hate that I can't really reach the top corners, though. It's just not useful.
Totally, totally get that. But putting a case on it takes away the best feature in my opinion which is the thinness.

By the way, heard some complaints of the buggyness of ios8, would you guys suggests my wife hold off on updating her 5?

Totally, totally get that. But putting a case on it takes away the best feature in my opinion which is the thinness.

By the way, heard some complaints of the buggyness of ios8, would you guys suggests my wife hold off on updating her 5?
Yeah, I get that. I personally prefer bigger phones and I would never leave my device naked, but I realise that a lot of people like the way it looks/feels/the premium-ness of it all. :p

And yeah, iOS 8 has been buggy on both my iPhone 6 and my SO's iPhone 5. Same issues - weird freezing during apps where the touchscreen doesn't work until you hit the home button, scrolling issues, etc.

Nicktendo86

Yeah, I get that. I personally prefer bigger phones and I would never leave my device naked, but I realise that a lot of people like the way it looks/feels/the premium-ness of it all. :p

And yeah, iOS 8 has been buggy on both my iPhone 6 and my SO's iPhone 5. Same issues - weird freezing during apps where the touchscreen doesn't work until you hit the home button, scrolling issues, etc.
Thanks, I will tell her to hold off.

Top Bottom