• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Addnan

Hey, so my HTC One has timed it perfectly to go bust. Oh well. UK Gaf, have you guys been to an iPhone launch? Is it a little crazy? I would rather pick it up in store on the 19th. They have sim free in store too right?

I'll have to try them in the store first, but I think against all odds I'm going to get the Plus. I want those extra features and that delicious screen

Zizbuka

Banned
Apple does make sexy hardware, although it looks like the last 4 models.

Guess still no expandable storage or notification lights? Major deal killers for me.

Replaceable battery is nice, but not a necessity. Except for GS3...... apparently it needs a little battery to tell the CPU it's OK to charge the battery. Most asinine thing ever. Only phone I've ever had to buy a battery for.

stilgar

Never change, the Verge

BxKLOpyCIAAb8rR.jpg

(I maybe old on this one. This internet thing is so unpredictably quick)

DarkFlow

Banned
Well, I guess that shows how much I use that feature on my Nexus...
Lol they've had it in there since the Galaxy Nexus. It's useful for weather apps, but that's about it.

My Note 3 has even more useless sensors that I have no idea what half of them do.

Magnetometer
Accelerometer
Barometer
Hall effect sensor
hygrometer
magnetometer
gesture sensor
thermometer

They've taken a step back with hardware design now. They absolutely nailed it with the 5/5s and if they put some effort into making the UI any better, I'd be well up for getting one of these if the design was the same.

ViciousDS

Banned
Do you want to stay on iOS, do you want a pen?

I just want an advanced phone....stylus's are nice, but I'm sick of how garbage the iphone camera is(can't take dark pictures for crap, has terrible focus at night). My buddies Note 3 takes amazing pictures. Was looking at the Note 4, but the G3 is really getting my attention.

OS doesn't bother me....I can always mess with that android wise.

The Mule

Never change, the Verge

(I maybe old on this one. This internet thing is so unpredictably quick)

also from that reddit thread

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/2fzamy/double_standards/cke7q5l
Which clearly shows that one was written by Dan Seifert, and the other by David Pierce. A differing of opinions is sort of inevitable.

and this is a good point too

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/2fzamy/double_standards/cke5s0b

Maybe people are becoming more accepting of bigger phones, and that's biasing the reviews. It used to be that smaller was better; now larger screens are better.
And also, maybe those were two different reviewers with different preferences.

but for me personally, the increase size of phones is annoying me. to my mind the iphone 4S is an almost perfect form factor. i'd only want it to be thinner

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm getting the Plus. The 5.5" screen still makes me skeptical but the device is so much better than the regular iPhone 6 feature wise (especially in battery life) that I would more than likely prefer it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Okay, let's get serious!!

iPhone 6 & 6 Plus potential purchasers, please gather round!!

In the UK, and I've narrowed it down to two options but I still can't yet decide.

1) £699, iPhone 6 with 128GB
2) £699, iPhone 6 Plus with 64GB

What I like about the 6 Plus over the 6 is the OIS, the iPad style landscape orientation in apps and 1080p screen for movies. It's just such a damn shame that they couldn't put these three features in the iPhone 6 size. I much prefer the iPhone 6 size. I'm coming from a 5S. What should I get?? I'm leaning towards option 2 at the moment.

if you expect to use the phone heavily during the day and don't have a tablet, then get an iphone 6+. If you just want something handy and portable with you during the day and have an ipad or similar at home for larger media consumption, then go for the basic 6 - it really isn't that gimped. I'd actually be tempted to go for the basic 6 64GB, save money and put that towards something else.

kharma45

I'm getting the Plus. The 5.5" screen still makes me skeptical but the device is so much better than the regular iPhone 6 feature wise (especially in battery life) that I would more than likely prefer it.

You'll get used to it quickly. I went for a 3.7" Lumia 620 to the 5.5" OnePlus One and couldn't go back now.

DarkFlow

Banned
I just want an advanced phone....stylus's are nice, but I'm sick of how garbage the iphone camera is(can't take dark pictures for crap, has terrible focus at night). My buddies Note 3 takes amazing pictures. Was looking at the Note 4, but the G3 is really getting my attention.

OS doesn't bother me....I can always mess with that android wise.
You could always get a Lumia 1020, it's the king of phone cameras.

ViciousDS

Banned
You could always get a Lumia 1020, it's the king of phone cameras.

hm, first attempt on windows phone.....would be interesting. However its only a 4.5 inch screen. I want something in the 5.5 range.

Will probably wait till october and jump on the Note 4

Hey, so my HTC One has timed it perfectly to go bust. Oh well. UK Gaf, have you guys been to an iPhone launch? Is it a little crazy? I would rather pick it up in store on the 19th. They have sim free in store too right?

Apple Stores carry the phone sim-free, yes.

I'm expecting something approaching crazy this year, or at least for some models to be in extremely short supply. A lot of people who wanted Gold were fucked if they weren't near the front of the queue last year, and depending on store, that often meant a good 7 hours+ in the queue.

There were fewer people than for the 4S, but then Steve Jobs' passing sent the publicity into overdrive at the 4s launch & the 5s was in much shorter supply. I'm expecting it to be busier this time around. There's a chance you'd be able to queue for an hour at opening and get one, but don't expect to have much of a choice of model / size / colour.

3phemeral

also from that reddit thread

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/2fzamy/double_standards/cke7q5l

and this is a good point too

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/2fzamy/double_standards/cke5s0b

but for me personally, the increase size of phones is annoying me. to my mind the iphone 4S is an almost perfect form factor. i'd only want it to be thinner
Concerning the whole "the public is getting used to bigger phones" theory, they've had 3 years to get used to it but it's only until Apple gives in that it's suddenly "acceptable." It just comes off a bit suspect.

I understand that different reviewers have different tastes, but it's a bit perplexing that you have such drastically changing opinions on phones of very similar dimensions. Makes it difficult for someone researching these phones from say, The Verge, only to come back with an uneven view. Also, how common is it these days for the general consumer to actually look at who the reviewer is in addition to keeping track of them? And if that reviewer I happened to agree with on previous reviews doesn't review the current phone I'm considering?

Might be time to have reviewers of varying hand sizes reviewing the general feel for the phone. Maybe like a "touch and feel" section to clearly communicate to the audience that aspect of the experience.

-PXG-

I'm still laughing my ass off and shaking my head at the same time. Paying out the ass, far beyond acceptable premium price, for a non OLED, sub 1080p device, that finally has features that the competition has had for years. And dat 1 GB of RAM. Let's see how well optimized iOS 8 and that "new" CPU is. Whatever...Enjoy...

So disappointing. I was hoping for real competition. I expected better from them, as an Android fan. Apple is such bullshit and they know it. They don't care either. They will pump stupid amounts of money into marketing and people will buy their crap anyway :/

KHarvey16

I'm still laughing my ass off and shaking my head at the same time. Paying out the ass, far beyond acceptable premium price, for a non OLED, sub 1080p device, that finally has features that the competition has had for years. And dat 1 GB of RAM. Let's see how well optimized iOS 8 and that "new" CPU is. Whatever...Enjoy...

So disappointing. I was hoping for real competition. I expected better from them, as an Android fan. Apple is such bullshit and they know it. They don't care either. They will pump stupid amounts of money into marketing and people will buy their crap anyway :/

You're so mad people buy a thing you don't like. It must be because they're stupid and get tricked by commercials.

1080p and ram aside, I'm curious - is OLED that much better than what iphones have?

-PXG-

1080p and ram aside, I'm curious - is OLED that much better than what iphones have?

Have you ever used a Samsung phone or played a game on a Vita (1000 not 2000)? Looks amazing.

Super AMOLED (Samsung's tech) is just as much as a silly name as Retina. Apple's screen is dated as hell and nothing impressive anymore. There are a lot of factors that determine a good screen, but right off the bat is the color grading and pixel density. I'm sure colors on both new iPhones are fine. OLED would help produce a true black though. Pixel density is lower than I imagined. That means the IQ won't be as crisp. It will still look good but not the ridiculous crispness you would expect.

VeeP

Your upset people buy a still powrful phone, with a OS they like, which syncs amazingly well with Macs & the Apple Ecosystem.

-PXG-

Your upset people buy a still powrful phone, with a OS they like, which syncs amazingly well with Macs & the Apple Ecosystem.

I'm sure most people who buy iDevices have PCs anyway :p So much for synching with their ecosystem

Ovid

You opinion is respected but can't be taken seriously because it's biased.

Apple fans are paying for the iOS experience. The price of the phone is worth it in their eyes. It's marketing 101 buddy.

VeeP

I'm sure most people who buy iDevices have PCs anyway :p So much for synching with their ecosystem

Decent enough point. But if I'm not mistaken, Mac sales are on the rise. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Some of your (and others) points are valid. But what I don't get is why people "expect" something different when I read these same comments every year.

"Apple products are over priced!" Yea, it's been this way awhile now. Everyone knows it's all about those profit margins.

"There playing catch up, all these features are on Android!" They've been playing catch up since copy and paste in iOS 3.0 I believe. And like I said earlier, the OSX iOS interaction will be great. And most likely Apple Pay will do more for NFC payments then Android Wallet has done.

I mean, there's a lot of points you can make against Apple and iPhone and iOS. But Every year I hear android fans say "I expected more!" and claim these points. It's just annoying now.

glaurung

Apple fans are paying for the iOS experience. The price of the phone is worth it in their eyes. It's marketing 101 buddy.
Yea I was just about to post that what I would rather pay for is the peace of mind - knowing that the software and hardware have been designed hand-in-hand. iOS is the winning ticket here, not the spec sheet.

If Sony were to have a similar quality with Android, I'd buy an Xperia Z3 in a heartbeat. Alas, Android with all of its manufacturer bloatware and skinning (f off TouchWiz) is a steaming pile of manure.

HUELEN10

Even though both models are excessively big for my liking, I must say that I am thrilled that neither model has an OLED screen.

5.5 is too big, and what the hell. Is the point of the 4.7? It's like the same amount of workspace as the 5 series, at least for a year with the wait for updates and whatnot.

ZeroAKA

Why did Apple have to make the iPhone 6+ so much more of an appealing option than the iPhone 6? I don't want a 5.5" iPhone. Maybe I'll just wait for the 6S next year. ;_;

tanooki27

yeah, "crap." post is laughable.

HUELEN10

Why did Apple have to make the iPhone 6+ so much more of an appealing option than the iPhone 6? I don't want a 5.5" iPhone. Maybe I'll just wait for the 6S next year. ;_;
What the heck is so appealing about it besides optical image stabilization? The added workspace is still nothing compared to an iPad's workspace so why every bother?

With the insane pricing, they pretty much lost me. I'm very happy with my 4s, it works flawlessly but I just can't justify paying such a high price. I have the money, I just don't see the value, it is at least 200 euros too expensive. I'm really disappointed... :-/

HUELEN10

With the insane pricing, they pretty much lost me. I'm very happy with my 4s, it works flawlessly but I just can't justify paying such a high price. I have the money, I just don't see the value, it is at least 200 euros too expensive. I'm really disappointed... :-/
I wish they would have kept the 32GB option and cut the 16GB option, making the lowest tier a better value.

That was an incredibly smart yet greedy move by them, I angrily applaud it.

HUELEN10

Oh, and one more thing that makes the 6 better than the 6 Plus: screen contrast.

Seriously, look it up. It seems that the 6 is the clear choice.

Top Bottom