• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

glaurung

You've never used an Xperia before right? Because if you had then you'd know the skin is extremely light.

Have you even used an Xperia phone before?

The skinning is light it might as well be stock with a few extras.

You should buy an Xperia Z3 then. Or Moto X. Or Nexus.
It's definitely been a while since I tried using an Xperia phone.

Might have a gander at the X3 when it is released here in 30 days or so. I think that hardware-wise Xperia is pretty much on par with i6.

Ugh. I'm watching the keynote now, having set my heart on the 4.7" thinking the 5.5" is just too darn big, but Schiller's demo of the Plus with the special stuff the normal 6 doesn't have like all the "Two up" stuff. And now I really want the damn 5.5" again. Even though it's soooo huge.

I don't even know anyone who owns a 5.5" phone of any sort so I can't even get an idea of the size.

Really want the 5.5". But I don't. But I need it. But I don't. But I dooooooooo.....

In the same exact position. One question though for the 6+ does anyone know if in safari it'll show your tabs at the top like on an iPad since it's got all that extra real estate? That might be my persuading factor

I may have mentioned this before, but did anyone else notice that the iPhone 6 supports h.265 video? This might be one of first devices with h.265 hardware acceleration, if it's in hardware. That would be huge for battery life, future-proofing, and bandwidth usage.

How can you get it early? Wouldn't mind trying on my 5.

I'm a developer. But you can Google. :)

I've dropped my N7 enough times to think I've damaged the digitizer (or Android/Chrome is getting progressively unresponsive). The 4.7" is the logical choice, but the bonus battery life would make the 5.5" a decent tablet replacement. Can't make that decision without seeing it in person first. I so want to retire this Nexus 4, it's not even funny.

It's pretty much confirmed for the 6, unsure on the 6+. Wouldn't be shocked if it had 2GB and a faster clocked CPU since you have more room to play with and it's powering a higher resolution screen.

Would be very surprsied if 6+ has 2GB RAM based on pricing.

giga

I may have mentioned this before, but did anyone else notice that the iPhone 6 supports h.265 video? This might be one of first devices with h.265 hardware acceleration, if it's in hardware. That would be huge for battery life, future-proofing, and bandwidth usage.

I'm a developer. But you can Google. :)
Yep. I'm wondering if it's for FaceTime only. The decoder must be built into the a8.

Posting again for new page.

I have a question:

I have the tmobile jump program so would I be able to just sell my 5s for $200 and put up $100 and have the entire phone already payed off? I owe about $400 on my 5s and this could save me some money.

MercuryLS

Banned
That image comparing Nexus 4 to iPhone 6 is hilarious, comparing speeds and feeds doesn't show the full picture. The Nexus 4 was pretty thick and heavy, the camera was terrible, substandard battery life, build quality was average, I had an issue with the screen when under certain angles under sunlight you could see "dots" on the screen in a grid pattern (touch layer?), just gross.

The reason why Apple does well with iPhones is due to high quality materials and build quality, polished OS and a very integrated hardware/software experience that is easy to use and predictable. I tried messing with Android phones with higher specs, the actual experience of using them left much to be desired. That's a personal opinion and I'm sure others will find Android to be better than iOS. Ultimately there are a lot of people loyal to iPhone/iOS due to tangible things like hardware build quality or being a fan of the OS or whatever. Whenever I read someone say that Apple's sales are all due to marketing, I roll my eyes. They make products that are much more than the sum of their parts.

xtop

Posting again for new page.

I have a question:

I have the tmobile jump program so would I be able to just sell my 5s for $200 and put up $100 and have the entire phone already payed off? I owe about $400 on my 5s and this could save me some money.

you can get $300 knocked off doing that sure. you still have to pay the full price of the phone off via monthly payments

Not true. Most Samsungs, at least have supported h265 video decoding in hardware for quite a while (around a year or so).

Hell even some chinese chips supported h265 before apple did.

xtop

Not true. Most Samsungs, at least have supported h265 video decoding in hardware for quite a while (around a year or so).

Hell even some chinese chips supported h265 before apple did.

do you have a link? i thought only the new snapdragon 805 had h265

solarus

I can't understand the complaints about the 720p on the 4.7" display, that's all you need for that size, 1080p would be dumb at 4.7", the difference would not be significant visually and you lose battery life and performance. The z3 compact and galaxy alpha are similarly sized and also go for 720p, moto got it perfect last year with the first x which was 4.7" and 720p. Now the legitimate hardware spec complaints would be that 1gb of a ram is dumb and 16gb base storage is god awful for £539. They are really banking on you jumping to the 64gb model, instead of being scrapped the 32gb model should have become the base storage amount. I'm not going to pay £619 just to get a model with more than 16gb.
I'll wait for the next nexus and hope it's battery doesn't suck like the nexus 5 and that the camera is better than the new moto x. Android wise, I only like stock android and the new moto x would have been a winner if they upped the battery size and had a better camera.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Meh. Not a big fan of bigger phones. Hell I preferred the smaller iPhone 4/4s to the 5/5s. I'm not on my phone all day like a lot of people and like a smaller one that fits easily in any front pants pocket. I have an iPad Air for things I need more screen real estate for.

Moot this fall as I just got the 5s last year so I can't upgrade until next fall. If they only have these sizes for the 6s I'll have to give looking into some other phones more thought. Though it seems like most decent Android phones are these sizes or bigger too.

solarus

This. I have a friend on facebook just fucking raging about how Android is better. He's really emotionally invested.
People caring so much about other people's purchase decisions are the worst, they love to use the opportunity to make themselves appear intellectually superior, and are condescending pricks.

Edit: 2x Post.

Anyways, I'm 90% sure the 6+ will meet my needs. I want that big battery. I'm just worried the phone + case will be overkill for my pocket. I have huge hands so holding it isn't a problem. But my jeans pockets aren't deep.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So if double tapping the home button invokes reachability mode how do you access the multitasking pane..
Did they ever talk about the iPad 4fingerUp gesture coming the iPhone 6Plus?

Pooya

Let's say, Apple comes up with the new iPad in a month or two that has 2GB of RAM and features 'exclusive' side by side multitasking on a notch bigger iPad mini but your new shiny Apple phablet can't, would you still defend this aspect?

phablet is just that, it's tablet phone combo enabling functionality normal sized phones can't. Otherwise it's just a super size phone running primarily upscaled apps. With how big 6+ is, side by side actually could work. Galaxy Note line have limited multitasking for example. Apple with its great developer support is going to have much better multitasking than Android or Samsung but seemingly their phablet won't yet, until next version maybe or if they choose to separate phone and pad more than before, never. 5.5" 1080p is certainly big enough, I've been using screen about this size for a while.

MercuryLS

Banned
This. I have a friend on facebook just fucking raging about how Android is better. He's really emotionally invested.

I had a co-worker that would try his best to shit on everything Apple, he was so militant about it. He always hated that I really liked Apple products, especially since I knew a lot about technology and thought Apple products were for people that weren't tech savvy.

MicH

So if double tapping the home button invokes reachability mode how do you access the multitasking pane..
I think it's double touch, as in not pressing the button, just touching it

You just touch the home button twice quickly, you don't push it down like you would to get to the multitasking pane. With Touch ID it can sense that you thumb is making contact with the button without you having to press it.

Edit: Beaten. Of course. :p

giga

32gb 5S's are falling below $500 in the used market. Might just save money and get that to upgrade from my 5. $750 + tax on the 64gb model is really pushing it.

I don't honestly think their products are crap.

I just wish they showed me something that made me say, "Damn. I wish Android that. I wish my phone did that too". They left me with nothing. Nothing wowed me and nothing shown showed any sign of stimulating competition.

Slow mo video recording at 240fps is about the only thing that made me say "damn, I need that one my phone".

The rest is just playing catch up and people will of course eat it right up as if it never existed elsewhere. I'm cool with that though, if they're happy, I'm happy for them

Hasney

Would be very surprsied if 6+ has 2GB RAM based on pricing.

Possibly, should find out soon anyway. The CPU should be clocked higher at the very least though, they should be able to get better heat management through the bigger case and it will help. They will have learned from the original Retina iPad.

Slow mo video recording at 240fps is about the only thing that made me say "damn, I need that one my phone".

The rest is just playing catch up and people will of course eat it right up as if it never existed elsewhere. I'm cool with that though, if they're happy, I'm happy for them

I think most people know most of these features were available elsewhere for quite awhile, but they will eat it up because they never wanted to leave the Apple ecosystem and have been waiting for those features to hit the iPhone line.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I watched (and skimmed) the keynote last night. A lot of very interesting stuff. The level of pandemonium was hard to believe, I burst into laughter at some points. It was like a sporting event.

As of this moment my device choice is a 64gig iPhone plus, but the more I look at them the more dissatisfied I am with the color choices. I have reservations about using such a big device as a payment method too. I'm gonna wait a week I think and actually go down to Apple and play with them for a while.

To be honest it's kinda lame that horizontal mode isn't on the 4.7. I have good eyes. Also is the optical image stabilzer in the 5.5 a really big deal or only kind of a big deal?

Hasney

I'm not asking what you want that for *cough*

As for me personally, I switched from the 4S to a Galaxy S4 as I felt it was the better phone, especially as I wanted a bigger one and Android had evolved to the point where it and iOS are interchangeable depending on your use cases. The only reason I'm even leaning towards the 6+ is because of what happens when things go wrong based on my own experiences.

Samsung: Had an issue with a TV from them before when they were using shitty transistors, so I should have learned. The USB port broke on the Galaxy S4 which is fairly common. I was in warranty, so shouldn't be an issue and posted it back while using a shitty replacement Nokia I bought and... They wouldn't do it. The logo was slightly scratched off so it was clearly user error. Would have cost over £100 to replace it.

Apple: Dropped iPhone 4S 64GB down the toilet. Walked into Apple Store and explained it, he said he'd check the water sensor anyway and if it hadn't been tripped, give me a free replacement in warranty. It had been tripped, so £70 like for like replacement and I was back with a new phone. Sure, I had to travel 70 miles to my nearest Apple store at the time, but there's one in my city now.

Currently arguing with Sony about a replacement DS4 as they won't replace my wave blue with a new wave blue, so it's putting me off a Sony Z3 now in case I get into the same issues as I had with Samsung if anything happens with it. I think I'd prefer that phone (or Z4 in 6 months), but the experience I actually had with Apple is making me want an iPhone again coming off of Samsung hell.

I'm not asking what you want that for *cough*

As for me personally, I switched from the 4S to a Galaxy S4 as I felt it was the better phone, especially as I wanted a bigger one and Android had evolved to the point where it and iOS are interchangeable depending on your use cases. The only reason I'm even leaning towards the 6+ is because of what happens when things go wrong based on my own experiences.

Samsung: Had an issue with a TV from them before when they were using shitty transistors, so I should have learned. The USB port broke on the Galaxy S4 which is fairly common. I was in warranty, so shouldn't be an issue and posted it back while using a shitty replacement Nokia I bought and... They wouldn't do it. The logo was slightly scratched off so it was clearly user error. Would have cost over £100 to replace it.

Apple: Dropped iPhone 4S 64GB down the toilet. Walked into Apple Store and explained it, he said he'd check the water sensor anyway and if it hadn't been tripped, give me a free replacement in warranty. It had been tripped, so £70 like for like replacement and I was back with a new phone. Sure, I had to travel 70 miles to my nearest Apple store at the time, but there's one in my city now.

Currently arguing with Sony about a replacement DS4 as they won't replace my wave blue with a new wave blue, so it's putting me off a Sony Z3 now in case I get into the same issues as I had with Samsung if anything happens with it. I think I'd prefer that phone (or Z4 in 6 months), but the experience I actually had with Apple is making me want an iPhone again coming off of Samsung hell.

I can totally see where that could factor into your next purchase. It's definitely comforting to know there's a dedicated store of employees who can repair or replace your phone. Apple does a great job of that for the most part.

I prefer Android for flexibility and customization, but I'm not someone that hates Apple. I see both sides of the coin (having owned several iphones) and I think a lot annoyance from both "camps" is just differences in personality. Some people like to go out and find out what's out there, tweak it, and live on the bleeding edge of tech while others like it bundled into a nice, neat package that doesn't require much work beyond the initial presentation.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
A Good Way To Show How Big The New iPhones Are

sykpxsvuliotz5qkhbdv.png

Squalor

Apple charges banks a fee whenever people use Apple Pay.

How long before banks find a way to squeeze more money out of the people to cover that cost?

Top Bottom