• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

I have a question:

I have the tmobile jump program so would I be able to just sell my 5s for $200 and put up $100 and have the entire phone already payed off? I owe about $400 on my 5s and this could save me some money.

-PXG-

yeah, "crap." post is laughable.

I don't honestly think their products are crap.

I just wish they showed me something that made me say, "Damn. I wish Android that. I wish my phone did that too". They left me with nothing. Nothing wowed me and nothing shown showed any sign of stimulating competition.

Mario007

Yea I was just about to post that what I would rather pay for is the peace of mind - knowing that the software and hardware have been designed hand-in-hand. iOS is the winning ticket here, not the spec sheet.

If Sony were to have a similar quality with Android, I'd buy an Xperia Z3 in a heartbeat. Alas, Android with all of its manufacturer bloatware and skinning (f off TouchWiz) is a steaming pile of manure.

You've never used an Xperia before right? Because if you had then you'd know the skin is extremely light.

HUELEN10

The battery life is MUCH better than the regular iPhone 6.
Honestly, I never thought of that. I have never had battery issues with current iPhones. I always charge at night, while I'm recharging (tee hee), and I plug it in while driving (and will continue doing so thanks to hey Siri). Never has battery been an issue for me, even in days I don't drive.

Do many of you run out of juice? I use my phone a lot BTW.

I don't honestly think their products are crap.

I just wish they showed me something that made me say, "Damn. I wish Android that. I wish my phone did that too". They left me with nothing. Nothing wowed me and nothing shown showed any sign of stimulating competition.
Not even the very nice IPS panel, the nicest one ever on an iPhone?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yea I was just about to post that what I would rather pay for is the peace of mind - knowing that the software and hardware have been designed hand-in-hand. iOS is the winning ticket here, not the spec sheet.

If Sony were to have a similar quality with Android, I'd buy an Xperia Z3 in a heartbeat. Alas, Android with all of its manufacturer bloatware and skinning (f off TouchWiz) is a steaming pile of manure.

Have you even used an Xperia phone before?

The skinning is light it might as well be stock with a few extras.

Mario007

Just looked at comparisons, the 6 is around the same size as a G2,just thinner. If you want to get an idea of size check it out

It's even worse if you compare the 6 to its true competitor in that display size- Xperia Z3 Compact. The Compact is much smaller/

Cavalier

Banned
Spec is a joke. 8MP... 4.7" screen that's barely better than 720P. 1GB of ram. Starting off with 16GB storage. You have got to be fucking kidding me. I really do hope Apple gets their shit together for 6S lineup.

Bgamer90

Banned
Honestly, I never thought of that. I have never had battery issues with current iPhones. I always charge at night, while I'm recharging (tee hee), and I plug it in while driving (and will continue doing so thanks to hey Siri). Never has battery been an issue for me, even in days I don't drive.

I honestly don't. My iPhone 5 usually lasts me most of the day. I just can't believe that the regular iPhone 6 doesn't really have an improved battery life in comparison to the 5S. 6 Plus is where my expectations were in terms of battery life.

Ninja Dom

Spec is a joke. 8MP... 4.7" screen that's barely better than 720P. 1GB of ram. Starting off with 16GB storage. You have got to be fucking kidding me. I really do hope Apple gets their shit together for 6S lineup.

Have you used a 5S before? An incredibly beautiful phone to use.

A lot of people base a phone simply off specs. And if you think that simply the specs of a phone determine the quality of a phone then you've got more to learn. Compare the user experiences of the actual phone users after 6 months and listen to exactly what they say.

You'll soon understand.

noomi

So I am seriously considering purchasing the 6+, but I am a little skeptical of the size... not 100% sure if I'll like it.

Hoping to preorder through apple or att this Friday, does anyone know if they have a 30 day return policy, just in case the size is too much, can i return and then get the smaller 6 version?

RDreamer

Thinking about getting a 6+, but I'll have to see how it feels in my hands. I use my phone a lot so it'd be nice to have a larger screen.

I am getting really goddamned pissed as hell at the hard drive sizes in these things though. 16gb on the low end is a fucking joke. Seriously, watching that video and they're touting everyone doing video and photos on their phone and that is what they give you for space? Fuck. Off.

Cavalier

Banned

A lot of people base a phone simply off specs. And if you think that simply the specs of a phone determine the quality of a phone then you've got more to learn. Compare the user experiences of the actual phone users after 6 months and listen to exactly what they say.

You'll soon understand.

I own a 5S.

Instead of pleasing their stockholders they should listen to their customers more. This is how you lose marketshare. They're cutting corners too fucking much at this point and selling mediocre shitty products wrapped up in shiny metal to the customers. A display that's barely better than a 720P is called "Retina HD" Display. Fuck off.

I supported Apple last year with the 5S and iOS7. I'm out this year and will be going with Moto 360 + Moto X/Note 4 combo. Peace.

cabot

I'm a little surprised and disappointed Apple have went for the big phone/phablet.

I'm one of those twirps who enjoys a phone thats ~4.5 inches screen and easily used with one hand. Apple kept the flag flying, and I'm pretty sure the wee flagship Android phones wouldn't exist if they had bailed on the small form factor much sooner.

As for Android specs superiority vs Apple, console war type fare, but I believe one of the defining characteristics of Apple is the unification between its platforms, and the expectation that when you buy their hardware, their software will be tailored to maximise performance (iOS updates have negated this slightly, but it's not a dealbreaker)

It's an apples (ha!) and oranges debate really, when I think about Apple, I don't think about constant device tinkering, jailbreaking and such. I think of a pristine user experience and well designed hardware. When I consider Android, I'm basically keeping notes of specifications and OEM history with allowing unlocked bootloaders/rooting. It's funny really, it invalidates a lot of reviews from tech sites, because a lot of complaints stem from OEM software quirks, all of which can essentially be ignored if a phone has a vibrant developer community behind it.

I'm just very happy they both exist. I love my iPad, I love my Z1 Compact. Let's all just put our hands down each other's trousers and synergise.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon

You'll soon understand.

Don't be so condescending. If the prices of the two phones are comparable then his complaint is legitimate. All OSes are "beautiful" to use these days.

Ninja Dom

Instead of pleasing their stockholders they should listen to their customers more. This is how you lose marketshare. They're cutting corners too fucking much at this point and selling mediocre shitty products wrapped up in shiny metal to the customers. A display that's barely better than a 720P is called "Retina HD" Display. Fuck off.

Losing Marketshare? Apple see these two new phones as being incredible hits.

And did you watch the show? Tim Cook re-iterated that the iPhone has the highest Customer Satisfaction metric on any smartphone. You can't please everybody at once, I know. But don't let the specs of this new phone get you so angry. As I said, the highest possible specs do not always make the best final product.

Macrumors

Macrumors said:
In an interview with the The Wall Street Journal following today's media event, Apple CEO Tim Cook stated that the company expects the launch of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus to trigger "the mother of all upgrades" as consumers consider their next smartphone purchase. Cook also added that he expects Android users to look at switching to the iPhone, claiming that the phones are "appreciably better in every single way".

Addnan

Apple Stores carry the phone sim-free, yes.

I'm expecting something approaching crazy this year, or at least for some models to be in extremely short supply. A lot of people who wanted Gold were fucked if they weren't near the front of the queue last year, and depending on store, that often meant a good 7 hours+ in the queue.

There were fewer people than for the 4S, but then Steve Jobs' passing sent the publicity into overdrive at the 4s launch & the 5s was in much shorter supply. I'm expecting it to be busier this time around. There's a chance you'd be able to queue for an hour at opening and get one, but don't expect to have much of a choice of model / size / colour.
Ah, thanks. If I have the money in my bank by this Friday I will probably put an order online. Not sure all the funds will clear by then but am hopeful. Guessing they will want to put a hold on the 699 there and then. If not then I will make my way to my local Apple store early and wait in line. I want slate grey 64GB Plus so hopefully not too popular a colour if I have to end up going in.

Minsc

Gold Member
The only successful argument I've seen so far against the 6 is the RAM, and only specifically related to internet browsing and using many tabs at once, something I avoid doing on my phone to begin with.

I guess the people who thought the 4 was the perfect size have a good argument against it too.

But the resolution and camera MPs and everything else, it's just talk. Until people start posting pics from phones showing how the camera in the iPhone 6 is so bad, it will be just that (I do believe though, certain phones like Lumia 1020 hold noticeable advantages, but your average Samsung whatever that happens to be 10 or 12 MP I'm not convinced). Same for resolution. Different types of displays make resolution look better or worse. It's hard to compare resolution across different phones, especially when it's at such high DPI already. It's not like one device is 320x240 and the other is 720p... both devices can output pixels small enough that discerning individual pixels is difficult. I know I have absolutely no complaints about the ~720p resolution on the iPhone 5, it's nothing like the pre-retina resolutions where you could easily see the pixels.

It's well known more MP doesn't equate more quality, and the specs don't tell the whole story.

Don't be so condescending. If the prices of the two phones are comparable then his complaint is legitimate. All OSes are "beautiful" to use these days.

It's not condescending, if the phone runs everything you throw at it flawlessly (exception so far being tabbed internet browsing), takes better pictures than phones with more MP, and so on, on what grounds does the complaint stand?

capslock

It's not condescending, if the phone runs everything you throw at it flawlessly (exception so far being tabbed internet browsing), takes better pictures than phones with more MP, and so on, on what grounds does the complaint stand?

Until there's a review that confirms this, all we have to go on are specs and price.

Phone seems fine to me. For me it's a no brainer with other apple products i work with every day that iPhone is the right choice for me. It all works incredibly well together. I need to see that 6+ in real life though. I'm rocking a 4 now and that things seems way too big. But it's probably a size you get used to fast.

I'm probably weird in here, but i like a lot of their products, sorry.
Not sure about the Apple watch though. i'm not a watch wearing kinda guy and most of that stuff would be on my phone anyway.

Smidget

Any idea if we will get full fledged reviews before Sept 12th or before Sept 19th? Not sure how Apple provides review units.

yogloo

The only successful argument I've seen so far against the 6 is the RAM, and only specifically related to internet browsing and using many tabs at once, something I avoid doing on my phone to begin with.

I guess the people who thought the 4 was the perfect size have a good argument against it too.

But the resolution and camera MPs and everything else, it's just talk. Until people start posting pics from phones showing how the camera in the iPhone 6 is so bad, it will be just that (I do believe though, certain phones like Lumia 1020 hold noticeable advantages, but your average Samsung whatever that happens to be 10 or 12 MP I'm not convinced). Same for resolution. Different types of displays make resolution look better or worse. It's hard to compare resolution across different phones, especially when it's at such high DPI already. It's not like one device is 320x240 and the other is 720p... both devices can output pixels small enough that discerning individual pixels is difficult. I know I have absolutely no complaints about the ~720p resolution on the iPhone 5, it's nothing like the pre-retina resolutions where you could easily see the pixels.

It's well known more MP doesn't equate more quality, and the specs don't tell the whole story.

Very well put.

I will give you the 16GB, I am bummed that 32GB isn't the new entry level, clearly a money grab on their part. However the rest of your points and listed specs are pretty meaningless.

Megapixel has never been a major factor in picture quality, it's just a number that's easy to market. Most people that say "only 8MP" doesn't even know what a megapixel is. Apple makes improvements to the camera with every new generation and takes pictures on par or better than any flagship phone you can compare it to.

As far as the resolution goes the PPI is well beyond the point of diminishing returns. I'm sure at some point when it makes sense to they will increase the PPI, but for now I'm happy they are continuing to make improvements to the overall quality of the screen that will more directly benefit the user experience.

And as far as the RAM goes from a user perspective it's another meaningless spec, the 5S already operates smooth as butter and very responsive with 1GB of RAM and I think it's safe to say the 6 will run even better. The user experience trumps everything, as long as iOS runs as smooth as I expect it to then I could give less than a shit how much RAM is in it.

Timan

Developer
So anyone on T-Mobile every preorder/purchase an iPhone at launch past few years?

I'm trying to figure out how the process works. I notice on apples site, the preordering pages only list ATT, Sprint & Verizon. Am I stuck ordering it from T-Mobile? Or am I able to just buy it/preorder out right friday night?

Ninja Dom

Until there's a review that confirms this, all we have to go on are specs and price.

Just from experience, even with the specs that Apple put into their iPhone, once the iPhones launch the technical benchmarks performed on these are just as high and comparable to the smartphones that are also available at the time. In fact the 5S aced almost all of it's benchmark tests last year in comparison to the higher specced models.

This is all if you really want to place emphasis on high specs and technical benchmarks.

capslock

I will give you the 16GB, I am bummed that 32GB isn't the new entry level, clearly a money grab on their part. However the rest of your points and listed specs are pretty meaningless.

Megapixel has never been a major factor in picture quality, it's just a number that's easy to market. Most people that say "only 8MP" doesn't even know what a megapixel is. Apple makes improvements to the camera with every new generation and takes pictures on par or better than any flagship phone you can compare it to.

As far as the resolution goes the PPI is well beyond the point of diminishing returns. I'm sure at some point when it makes sense to they will increase the PPI, but for now I'm happy they are continuing to make improvements to the overall quality of the screen that will more directly benefit the user experience.

And as far as the RAM goes from a user perspective it's another meaningless spec, the 5S already operates smooth as butter and very responsive with 1GB of RAM and I think it's safe to say the 6 will run even better. The user experience trumps everything, as long as iOS runs as smooth as I expect it to then I could give less than a shit how much RAM is in it.

Sounds very similar to the arguments Apple fans made about screen size a couple of years back.

BSsBrolly

Banned
After a lot of thought, I've settled on the iPhone 6. The plus is too damn big, how am I supposed to jog with that monster in my pocket?

A little disappointed by the specs but I love dat iOS. Cannot wait to ditch my Nexus 5. Good phone but I'm just not a fan of the android OS.

I am glad the changes between the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus are minimal and since I have never been a photo taking goer and absolutely hate the phablet direction, the iPhone 6 (4'7) version is the way to go for me.

Hasney

One thing I missed on the stream that is a big deal to me was just confirmed in the OP: 802.11ac. Thank fuck, thought Apple were going to neglect that again.

Ninja Dom

Sounds very similar to the arguments Apple fans made about screen size a couple of years back.

But he does have a valid point. I mentioned the 5S earlier up the page. 1GB Ram, Dual Core 64 bit 1.4GHz Cpu. And yes after using the phone for almost exactly one year, the phone is still smooth to use. Very smooth.

Hasney

I just realized it goes 16 >> 64 >> 128. It doesn't start at 32GB? What the fuck...

Also, is 1GB ram confirmed?

It's pretty much confirmed for the 6, unsure on the 6+. Wouldn't be shocked if it had 2GB and a faster clocked CPU since you have more room to play with and it's powering a higher resolution screen.

reKon

Banned

You should buy an Xperia Z3 then. Or Moto X. Or Nexus.

Need to see that Plus in real life before making a decision. Played with a sony 5.5" and thought it was a nice size, whereas the Note 3 was far too big... So I guess the housing and thickness really plays a part to my perception. At the moment thinking the 4.7", and its a pass on the watch.

Curufinwe

My 4S used to get low at work because it couldn't get a 3G signal in my building. So I had to start keeping it plugged in all day.

I'm sure going from a 4S with two and a half years use on it to a 6 is going to involve a significant upgrade in battery life, among other things.

giga

So anyone on T-Mobile every preorder/purchase an iPhone at launch past few years?

I'm trying to figure out how the process works. I notice on apples site, the preordering pages only list ATT, Sprint & Verizon. Am I stuck ordering it from T-Mobile? Or am I able to just buy it/preorder out right friday night?
It's there. Tmobile just doesn't do contracts anymore.

Have you ever used a Samsung phone or played a game on a Vita (1000 not 2000)? Looks amazing.

Super AMOLED (Samsung's tech) is just as much as a silly name as Retina. Apple's screen is dated as hell and nothing impressive anymore. There are a lot of factors that determine a good screen, but right off the bat is the color grading and pixel density. I'm sure colors on both new iPhones are fine. OLED would help produce a true black though. Pixel density is lower than I imagined. That means the IQ won't be as crisp. It will still look good but not the ridiculous crispness you would expect.

Fiddled with a Note 3 before but never noticed anything different. My eyes suck. >.>

Enco

This.

The pricing in my opinion is the only other issue against the phone. The iOS/android preference is a different thing to consider and isn't really an issue.

x-Lundz-x

It's pretty much confirmed for the 6, unsure on the 6+. Wouldn't be shocked if it had 2GB and a faster clocked CPU since you have more room to play with and it's powering a higher resolution screen.

Hmm, bummer about the 6. If I get a new phone I would probably go with the 6plus because of that 1080p goodness.

iOS8 on the 5 isn't great. Definitely loses some framerate. Battery life seems abysmal so far. Some really dumb popup spam. Lots of apps are going to need to update - the keyboard is causing some really layout messes.
I've noticed the slight performance degradation, but that's it. Otherwise, great on my 5.

Top Bottom