• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Thanks, I will tell her to hold off.
I've held off updating my 4S (I'm using two phones atm - transition period) because apparently it really messes that up too. I'm sure a lot of the issues will be fixed in 8.0.X though, and the most major ones (probably not the 4S glitch though - might just be too old of a phone) by the time we hit 8.1.

sunnz

While I am an andriod user mainly, one thing I always loved about APPLE was there hardware, always felt high quality and premium.

My sister got the IP6 and i was actually disappointed with how it felt. The buttons were way too clicky ( loud, didn't feel right) and the quality of the phone wasn't what I expected.

Same old OS and such from what I could tell.

While I am an andriod user mainly, one thing I always loved about APPLE was there hardware, always felt high quality and premium.

My sister got the IP6 and i was actually disappointed with how it felt. The buttons were way too clicky ( loud, didn't feel right) and the quality of the phone wasn't what I expected.

Same old OS and such from what I could tell.

It's the bigger phone upgrade year but phones haven't done much the past 2 years.

Technology saturation achieved.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Moral of the story: there is never any reason to preorder

You are already a guaranteed sale, they need to get inventory to other potential buyers

I pre-ordered two years ago for the iphone 5 and I got it release day. Apple dropped the ball with the iphone 6 shipping, i really should have opted for in store pick up.

I pre-ordered two years ago for the iphone 5 and I got it release day. Apple dropped the ball with the iphone 6 shipping, i really should have opted for in store pick up.

If you ordered a 6 you may be able to reserve one in store and go get it now. Return the one you get shipped. I checked and theres plenty of 6 - black models around my city for pick up at the apple store.

So just to report in...

3 Days of usage.

50% battery life.

My battery life is going to be over a week when you factor in car charging. (Mind you, no car charging was factored into the above numbers).

MCasey

Having used the iPhone 5 for 2 years, the rounded edges make it so much more comfortable to hold.
But if you are using a case then that's a mute point.
Typing is actually enjoyable on the 6.
When laying in bed, I actually prefer the smaller screen of the iPhone 5. Easier to use one handed and its a bit more intimate (if that makes sense).
But otherwise I could never go back to a smaller screen. Maps, messaging, web browsing are all much more enjoyable.

I'm not sure how someone could complain about the build quality of the 6. It's thin, but doesn't feel cheap.

iOS 8 runs great on my 6 as opposed to the iPhone 5 which was really buggy.
The voice dictation works great now. I was messaging a friend and it was spot on. Touch ID works great too, but I never had a 5s so I'm not sure how it was on there. Now I'm just deciding on a case. $35 is pricey but I think I might just go pick up the Apple silicone case.

Does anyone know of the iPhone 6 support Apt-x? I have a LG Tone + bluetooth headset and while my Note 3 currently support this, I read that the iPhone 5S does not, and I was wondering if the 6 finally does.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So just to report in...

3 Days of usage.

50% battery life.

My battery life is going to be over a week when you factor in car charging. (Mind you, no car charging was factored into the above numbers).

I have a 6 Plus and no complaints about my battery; but you must not be a very heavy user.

Yesterday I unplugged it after a full "cycle" at about noon.

40% brightness, wifi, LTE, and Bluetooth on.

About two hours of web browsing on wifi, about two and a half on LTE, about 90m of GPS, maybe 30 min of Facebook and 30 min of gaming, and a camera at a wedding. I was at 10% by midnight.

Deku Tree

I have a 6 Plus and no complaints about my battery; but you must not be a very heavy user.

Yesterday I unplugged it after a full "cycle" at about noon.

40% brightness, wifi, LTE, and Bluetooth on.

About two hours of web browsing on wifi, about two and a half on LTE, about 90m of GPS, maybe 30 min of Facebook and 30 min of gaming, and a camera at a wedding. I was at 10% by midnight.

Yeah if you turn everything off the battery of an iOS device can last forever and maintain it's charge... I notice this with my young Son's iPad Mini... If you turn everything on the battery can really drain though too.

MercuryLS

Banned
I just can't get over how good the curved edge of the screen feels with swiping gestures.

Yup. It feels so nice to swipe around from from the edges and it feels so nice to grip it. Goodbye chamfered edges that were rough to the touch and get dinged up so badly, I won't miss you (even though you looked nice).

Enfinit

Cases which have lips and are minimal and don't have big lines or logos or branding

This was already previously mentioned, but the black leather Apple case fits a lot of your credentials.

- It has lips that curve to the phone great, and the camera slot raises just enough to protect the raised lens.

- It's extraordinarily minimal (I'm not sure how much more minimal you can get when it comes to size/thickness, really).

- No lines or markings of any kind, save for the imprinted Apple logo on the back of the case. While the logo is there, it really doesn't stand out much at all. It's not very noticeable, and it blends with the case well.

- Very easy to slide on and off, without compromising phone security.

- Another tidbit about the leather case (which I haven't seen mentioned around here much) is that its interior is lined with felt, which I really enjoy. Adds cushion and security, and when a stray grain of sand gets in there, the felt does its job.

If you have the $45 to spend on a case, I highly recommend it. It feels very nice in the hand, and it feels very durable and long-lasting.

Can you be more specific, which brands and models? I'd like to check them out myself to see if I want to wait or pick up a case that's out now, thanks.

I would go . for non brand name as well as long as the lips protect the screen. Is not..too bulky and avoids having big logos and any designs.

Flandy

Reposting my post from the iOS 8 thread.

Can anyone help me out here?

Dad just got an iPhone 6 and he tried to restore from a backup but couldn't since he didn't have enough space so he just sync'd it with his iTunes. When he tried updating some of the apps it kept asking for my brothers Apple ID which hadn't be connected to that computer in 2 years. It shows my Dad is the one logged into the App store and not my Brother. Tried signing in and out but it's still asking for my Brothers Apple ID when he tries to update Apps. It only asks for my Brothers Apple ID when he tries to update Apps and not anything else.

ciD_Vain

This was already previously mentioned, but the black leather Apple case fits a lot of your credentials.

- It has lips that curve to the phone great, and the camera slot raises just enough to protect the raised lens.

- It's extraordinarily minimal (I'm not sure how much more minimal you can get when it comes to size/thickness, really).

- No lines or markings of any kind, save for the imprinted Apple logo on the back of the case. While the logo is there, it really doesn't stand out much at all. It's not very noticeable, and it blends with the case well.

- Another tidbit about the leather case (which I haven't seen mentioned around here much) is that its interior is lined with felt, which I really enjoy. Adds cushion and security, and when a stray grain of sand gets in there, the felt does its job.

If you have the $45 to spend on a case, I highly recommend it. It feels very nice in the hand, and it feels very durable and long-lasting.
How does it feel around the edges compared to the natural curves of the phone? The phone curves feel great.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm happy with the iPhone 6 battery life, yesterday I drained the battery to zero and recharged it to 100%. Took it off the charger at 9am and used it pretty heavily today (web browsing, music streaming over bluetooth) It's 4pm now and I've got 50% battery life left.

It looks like I get through a day of heavy usage. That's all I need, I could never get that from my 5. I hope the battery holds up over the next two years. If not, well that's why I have AppleCare+.

Dad just got an iPhone 6 and he tried to restore from a backup but couldn't since he didn't have enough space so he just sync'd it with his iTunes. When he tried updating some of the apps it kept asking for my brothers Apple ID which hadn't be connected to that computer in 2 years. It shows my Dad is the one logged into the App store and not my Brother. Tried signing in and out but it's still asking for my Brothers Apple ID when he tries to update Apps. It only asks for my Brothers Apple ID when he tries to update Apps and not anything else.

Was one of the apps accidentally bought with the brother's Apple ID?

How does it feel around the edges compared to the natural curves of the phone? The phone curves feel great.

Feels fine in hand, but the lip totally fucks with swiping.

MercuryLS

Banned

It gets in the way, all cases are the same in this respect, they all have a lip that goes around the front of the screen. When you go to edge swipe your finger will inevitably hit that hard case edge. That's what one of the biggest factors with me going caseless, for a phone that relies on edge swipes so much it sucks to have a case that gets in the way of that.

Sobriquet

Figure out which apps were purchased/downloaded by your brother. Then delete them.

Vyer

Finally got to hold a + today. Very nice feel, just not for me. Looking forward to the next iPad.

I just can't get over how good the curved edge of the screen feels with swiping gestures.

Honestly is the most 'premium' feel of any iPhone Ive used.

ciD_Vain

Feels fine in hand, but the lip totally fucks with swiping.

It gets in the way, all cases are the same in this respect, they all have a lip that goes around the front of the screen. When you go to edge swipe your finger will inevitably hit that hard case edge. That's what one of the biggest factors with me going caseless, for a phone that relies on edge swipes so much it sucks to have a case that gets in the way of that.
I see. I still don't know if I should go case-less this time around. I fucked up my 4s after dropping it once. When I got the 5s, I put a spigen case on it right away and the phone still looks brand new.

I put on the leather case in the apple store and it . sits 3 mm above the glass which curves up to 1-2 mm. The silicone was more Lips if you know what I mean

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
If you ordered a 6 you may be able to reserve one in store and go get it now. Return the one you get shipped. I checked and theres plenty of 6 - black models around my city for pick up at the apple store.

this is under the implication that I have enough money to throw around and spare time, I'd rather not rack up another $540 charge and have to go back and forth.

Enfinit

Nothing beats the natural curves of the phone, and anything you put on it is going to make those curves disappear. The case is raised just enough to protect the phone, so there's a bump around the edges when you're finger swiping. But it certainly (and surprisingly) doesn't make the interaction with the phone any less comfortable or natural.

Number45

Semi related to this thread, but has anyone recently requested to change their sim with Three in the UK from micro to nano? I assume I can do this without it making any changes to my current contract? No way on earth I'm losing my free unlimited tethering.

Yaari

Not sure what to do, I like that the phone feels good in the hand, but I often put it on flat surface and with the camera popping out a bit like it does, it won't be long before it takes some damage. I also think I'll get annoyed quickly if it wobbles.

Flandy

Thanks for the help guys.

Another question. My mom got a Galaxy S5 and for some reason she is unable to receive texts from my dad's iPhone 6. She's able to send texts to him but not the other way around. I was able to text her with my dumb phone so I think the iPhone is the issue.

Number45

Another question. My mom got a Galaxy S5 and for some reason she is unable to receive texts from my dad's iPhone 6. She's able to send texts to him but not the other way around. I was able to text her with my dumb phone so I think the iPhone is the issue.
Has she had an iPhone in the past? If so the system probably still recognises her number as an iMessage enabled number.

HUELEN10

Does your mom have another iOS device? Try checking the send as SMS option on the messages settings on your dad's iPhone.

knicks

I hate how all these cases cover the volume and power buttons. I want those exposed, cases make it hard to press those buttons when they are blocked. Or the case ends up jamming them in my experience.

Iacobellis

Is there a way to turn off the step counter in Health? Not just remove the data from my dashboard, but basically disable the M8 chip from running in the background permanently?

I don't have much use for it now and probably won't until I invest in a more accurate fitness tracker.

Sinister

Neo Member
Forthose of you on verizon: Ive had all my iPhones on at&t in the past and recently switched to Verizon for the iPhone 6. I have LTE coverage in my area, but i have a few observations I'm wondering if they're normal or not. When I'm on a call, i just notice the amount of bars and "Verizon" and nothing else. On at&t it always had the amount of bars "at&t 4g". Also, i notice when i hang up it goes from displaying nothing to showing "1x" quickly before jumping back up to LTE. Is all this normal for Verizon?

Korosenai

? What's stopping you just picking one up and cancelling from att?
They have the 16 gb in stock and im really wanting the 64 gb. Just dumb how i called every att around me and they dont have a single iPhone 6 or 6+ in stock, yet the apple store near me has every version of the 6 and all 3 colors of the 6+ 16 gb.

Ill just keep checking for the 64gb, i hope they get some in this week.

I hate how all these cases cover the volume and power buttons. I want those exposed, cases make it hard to press those buttons when they are blocked. Or the case ends up jamming them in my experience.

That's only a problem when you buy shitty cases. I've got the leather Apple case and the buttons work exactly as you'd expect.

Flandy

Has she had an iPhone in the past? If so the system probably still recognises her number as an iMessage enabled number.

Does your mom have another iOS device? Try checking the send as SMS option on the messages settings on your dad's iPhone.
Yeah she had an iPhone 4 up until yesterday. Switching my dad's settings to SMS seems to have worked but it was a bit slow. Also since I only switched it on my dad's so wouldn't that mean she still wouldn't get texts from other iPhones? Surely there's a better solution?

Top Bottom