• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Went to pick up a sim-only contract from Three in Brixton today and the guy who served me had a black 6 and gold 6+ for customers to try out, so my girlfriend and I used them both. That 6+ is huge. Really glad I went for the 6, it's enough for me especially as I have a Nexus 7 for travel tableting. Still, it felt good in the hand (for two handed use, wouldn't really want to try one-handing it), the 6 felt fantastic though. That curved front screen is awesome. The black front almost blends directly into the screen too, which I love.

Still don't like those antenna bands, but it's winning me over design wise. Feels a lot more comfortable to use. Getting mine tomorrow when I get into work as it was delivered there while I've been away. Can't wait.

Yeah she had an iPhone 4 up until yesterday. Switching my dad's settings to SMS seems to have worked but it was a bit slow. Also since I only switched it on my dad's so wouldn't that mean she still wouldn't get texts from other iPhones? Surely there's a better solution?

Most iphones should have Send as SMS enabled, even by default. It tries to send it at an imessage first, and then if that fails, sends it as an SMS. This is actually a known issue with iMessage, where it'll memorize numbers as being an iMessage one, so then when those numbers switch off of iOS it'll take the individual devices a LONG time to learn that they need to default to SMS instead.

I know my dad had an iPhone 4 for a long time before switching to a Galaxy S3, and it took my iphone a while to memorize that no, his number isn't using iMessage anymore. Eventually it does just learn, though.

Terrell

Most iphones should have Send as SMS enabled, even by default. It tries to send it at an imessage first, and then if that fails, sends it as an SMS. This is actually a known issue with iMessage, where it'll memorize numbers as being an iMessage one, so then when those numbers switch off of iOS it'll take the individual devices a LONG time to learn that they need to default to SMS instead.

I know my dad had an iPhone 4 for a long time before switching to a Galaxy S3, and it took my iphone a while to memorize that no, his number isn't using iMessage anymore. Eventually it does just learn, though.
The simple solution is to go into contacts and switch the number from an iPhone number to a Mobile number. iMessage will always try first if the number is listed as an iPhone.

I've noticed a few times where I've taken a picture and then in the camera roll it displays upside down. Anyone else see this? Typically it occurs when the camera controls (like HDR, etc.) are actually displayed upside down before taking a picture. Odd.

The simple solution is to go into contacts and switch the number from an iPhone number to a Mobile number. iMessage will always try first if the number is listed as an iPhone.

I had heard this before, but none of my contacts are ever listed as "iPhone" even if they're on one, just "mobile"

LifEndz

Who did Apple design these earbuds for? A giant? Someone with ears the size of dinner plates? They hurt! I had a Sony pair that stopped working so I'm using apples earbuds that came with my 6 and they're so big they hurt my ears. Does anyone use them and find them to be comfortable?

Deku Tree

Who did Apple design these earbuds for? A giant? Someone with ears the size of dinner plates? They hurt! I had a Sony pair that stopped working so I'm using apples earbuds that came with my 6 and they're so big they hurt my ears. Does anyone use them and find them to be comfortable?

I love my earbuds.

Clipse

Yeah, I hate the EarPods too. Simply terrible.

I've noticed a few times where I've taken a picture and then in the camera roll it displays upside down. Anyone else see this? Typically it occurs when the camera controls (like HDR, etc.) are actually displayed upside down before taking a picture. Odd.

Noticed the same thing today.

SuperPac

I use them and find them way more comfortable than the previous Apple earbuds. But they're definitely not for everyone.

Personally I can't do the in-ear stuff and other earbuds aren't as comfortable as these for me. But, to each his own on that - no ears are exactly alike anyway, right?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Gah..... Grabbed a 128GB gold at the last minute from an AT&T store.... Dead pixel! Gah.

Have to make a Genius Bar appt for tomorrow.

Cr0wn0

The 6+ has definitely grown on me the past few days. I think once more apps are supporting it properly its going to be an awesome device. I think the 6+ will replace my iPad eventually. I have to say though my wife's 6 feels just about perfect for a phone.

How many of you are getting applecare +? The curved screen really freaks me out and I don't think its going to hold up as well.

Gah..... Grabbed a 128GB gold at the last minute from an AT&T store.... Dead pixel! Gah.

Have to make a Genius Bar appt for tomorrow.
The worst. I had an issue where I had a stuck pixel on my iPad 2 - I lived in Asia at the time so I had to send the iPad off to Singapore, it took a month to get back and my replacement had a dead pixel.

I honestly couldn't be bothered sitting through that again, as the pixel wasn't as annoying as the first one which was bright red. But still irritating.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Most people I know find them comfortable. I personally think they are not just comfortable, but the best sounding non-isolating earbuds in existence. I wouldn't use them because they still sound bad compared to most IEMs, but if you want to hear the world around you as well as the music you listen to, they're the best earbuds, IMO.

The worst. I had an issue where I had a stuck pixel on my iPad 2 - I lived in Asia at the time so I had to send the iPad off to Singapore, it took a month to get back and my replacement had a dead pixel.

I honestly couldn't be bothered sitting through that again, as the pixel wasn't as annoying as the first one which was bright red. But still irritating.
It's so rare nowadays to get an iphone with a dead pixel, it sucks that much more when it happens. My 6 has a bit of a light bleed at the bottom of the screen. Only really noticeable on pitch black background so I'm not sure if I should try replacing it. Light bleed is generally too comon with IPS screens, so I doubt I'd have much luck with a replacement either.

Youtube app definitely has a bug.You can barely hear the volume through the iPhone speaker

When this happens swipe up to bring the control panel up. Select AirPlay and notice two options for the speaker. Select the other one and the volume should be normal. Hopefully they will fix this. When the 5 came out it took Google two months to update their app for the bigger screen.

LifEndz

Most people I know find them comfortable. I personally think they are not just comfortable, but the best sounding non-isolating earbuds in existence. I wouldn't use them because they still sound bad compared to most IEMs, but if you want to heard the world around you as well as the music you listen to, they're the best earbuds, IMO.

They sound great, but that hard plastic design is painful. Maybe my ear canal (?) is smaller than most.

HoTHiTTeR

Forthose of you on verizon: Ive had all my iPhones on at&t in the past and recently switched to Verizon for the iPhone 6. I have LTE coverage in my area, but i have a few observations I'm wondering if they're normal or not. When I'm on a call, i just notice the amount of bars and "Verizon" and nothing else. On at&t it always had the amount of bars "at&t 4g". Also, i notice when i hang up it goes from displaying nothing to showing "1x" quickly before jumping back up to LTE. Is all this normal for Verizon?

Unsure if someone answered you... Verizon doesn't support voice and data services simultaneously. Ex; can't post to Twitter, get directions, or use safari while in a call. At&t does. (Edit; at least for the iPhone products and the better part of Verizon's existance as a cdma carrier in the US)

Amagon

Looking to upgrade from the Note 2 and dive into Apple for the first time. Is this new phone a worthwhile purchase or is it okay to roll with the 5s?

It's so rare nowadays to get an iphone with a dead pixel, it sucks that much more when it happens. My 6 has a bit of a light bleed at the bottom of the screen. Only really noticeable on pitch black background so I'm not sure if I should try replacing it. Light bleed is generally too comon with IPS screens, so I doubt I'd have much luck with a replacement either.
Mine has a slight issue as well, it's slightly darker than it should be at the top right. Like a sort of dark area. It's not a massive deal though, and if it does start to bug me I'll just wait til the phones are readily available again.

Amagon

This would be my recommendation as well. Go to an apple store to see the size differences.

I guess I will do just that and check out the size differences. I haven't read up on the 6 specs yet but how is the battery life? Really big concern for me since I usually carry a spare battery with me when I'm out and about.

Tabris

Anyone having an issue with iTunes match on your iPhone?

Everything was fine but then I noticed nothing was being updated on my phone, so I decided to turn off iTunes match and turn it back on. Then whenever I load the music app it gets stuck on Loading iTunes match and I have none of my playlists. I then deleted all my music on my phone, turned off iTunes match, signed out, rebooted phone, signed in, turned on iTunes match. Now I can't even download songs, let alone my playlists.

No issue with iTunes match on my macbook.

Bacon

I guess I will do just that and check out the size differences. I haven't read up on the 6 specs yet but how is the battery life? Really big concern for me since I usually carry a spare battery with me when I'm out and about.

The 5s and 6 have similar battery life from what I've heard, which is to say the battery is not great in either of the phones. The 6 plus has the best battery life of any of the apple phones.

Amagon

The 5s and 6 have similar battery life from what I've heard, which is to say the battery is not great in either of the phones. The 6 plus has the best battery life of any of the apple phones.

Thanks for the answer. I'm actually kind of nervous swithching over to Apple since I'd been using Android since day one. I personally seen no benefits using Android over the course of these past years so I'm tempted to switch since my phone needs repair and I got the go ahead to do a upgrade from T-Mobile.

Cse

Banned
So I went to the Apple store to check out the 6 and 6+ today.

A few takeaways -

- The devices are incredibly thin and light and feel great in the hand.
- The screen almost looks as if it is floating above the rest of the phone. It looks great, and it has this "pop" effect that previous iPhones don't have.
- The bezels on the sides of the display aren't as bad as I thought they would be.
- The 6+ didn't feel as large as many of the reviews made it seem.
- The Touch ID feels incredibly cheap. The Touch ID on my 5s feels like a delicately crafted glass jewel. Conversely, the Touch ID on the 6/6+ feels like I'm pressing down on a plastic bottle cap.

Fantomex

When this happens swipe up to bring the control panel up. Select AirPlay and notice two options for the speaker. Select the other one and the volume should be normal. Hopefully they will fix this. When the 5 came out it took Google two months to update their app for the bigger screen.

Nice. Thanks for the easy fix bro

I'm on day two of my charge. This is crazy. 100% when I left at 9am yesterday, it's 3:30pm the next day and I'm at 31%. I think usage is something like 7 hours and standby is a day and 6 hours?

northead

One is a Verizon phone which are all unlocked and the other is an unsubsidized AT&T phone which are unlocked

YDSPqRl.png

Two Words

I have a 6 Plus and no complaints about my battery; but you must not be a very heavy user.

Yesterday I unplugged it after a full "cycle" at about noon.

40% brightness, wifi, LTE, and Bluetooth on.

About two hours of web browsing on wifi, about two and a half on LTE, about 90m of GPS, maybe 30 min of Facebook and 30 min of gaming, and a camera at a wedding. I was at 10% by midnight.
I think it's funny how you didn't list any talk time.

I have an iPad Air and a MacBook Air but I've never had an iPhone (I'm very interested in the iPhone 6 and I would buy one if I could afford it)

What am I/have been missing?

I have an iPad Air and a MacBook Air but I've never had an iPhone (I'm very interested in the iPhone 6 and I would buy one if I could afford it)

What am I/have been missing?
imagine the ipad air was smaller and a phone and had a dope camera and you always had it on you.

That's pretty much the difference.

Top Bottom