• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

NYR

Had a 64 iPhone 6 Space Grey on reserve at the Apple Store - got tired of waiting for my gold Plus which is 3-4 weeks delivery.

Rolled in, played with both the plus and the regular and going with a plus is a no brainer, it is longer by the width of one finger compared to my work blackberry z30 which I have no problem carrying around daily. Cancelled my reservation.

My hunting shall continue...still don't know what color to go with, I am more impressed with the gold right now.

fse

YDSPqRl.png

:eek:

Husker86

Yeah she had an iPhone 4 up until yesterday. Switching my dad's settings to SMS seems to have worked but it was a bit slow. Also since I only switched it on my dad's so wouldn't that mean she still wouldn't get texts from other iPhones? Surely there's a better solution?
She has to login to iCloud and do something to unregister her old device. It's a kinda involved process when you don't have your old iPhone anymore.

And yes, no matter what your dad does to get it to work between them, until she fixes it all other iPhones are going to think she has iMessage.

MercuryLS

Banned
I have an iPad Air and a MacBook Air but I've never had an iPhone (I'm very interested in the iPhone 6 and I would buy one if I could afford it)

What am I/have been missing?

They will all work beautifully together once Yosemite launches. Continuity is the feature I'm most looking forward to, being able to text and answer calls on the mac is going to be so useful. If you've already got a mac and iPad it would be a no brainer to get an iPhone.

Vyer

Yeah she had an iPhone 4 up until yesterday. Switching my dad's settings to SMS seems to have worked but it was a bit slow. Also since I only switched it on my dad's so wouldn't that mean she still wouldn't get texts from other iPhones? Surely there's a better solution?

If you still have the 4, go back to it and turn off iMessage. If not, contact apple support with her Apple ID and they will disable it for you.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5185

Jzero

The iPhone 6 looks really good in person. I thought it looked really shitty just by looking at the renders.

MercuryLS

Banned
The iPhone 6 looks really good in person. I thought it looked really shitty just by looking at the renders.

It has to be seen in person and held to appreciate it, it doesn't look so hot in shots but in person it's a beaut. The slim profile and the curved design (both cassis and screen that meld into each other) are so nice when you're actually using it. I still don't like the camera protrusion, but surprisingly the bands on the space grey one doesn't look bad IMO, it actually looks decent.

sangreal

They are mistaken. For starters, again, every single Verizon LTE phone is unlocked out of the box. That test was completely pointless. This was a requirement when Verizon purchased the spectrum. Further, if you pay full price at the apple store, the phones also come unlocked (Except for Sprint). Doesn't matter what pile it is supposedly from

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang, so I saw a Gold iPhone 6 and I have to tell you want the gold now. I wonder if the 6Plus still looks good.

Bacon

Anyone know what that belt type thing is that you can put your phone in when you workout? It was linked in this thread last week but I can't remember the name.

MercuryLS

Banned
Sad to discover that only the 6 plus has landscape home screen :/

I don't get why landscape mode is only for the 6+. I tried out the CNN app and they have a landscape two pane mode for the 6 and it worked great. There's enough screen real estate on the 6 to do it effectively (just shrunk a little vs the 6+). I hope Apple add it to the 6 eventually with a software update.

Dany

Banned
Oh wow, thats perfect. I was just gonna get another armband. which atthis point for a 4.7 screen would be crazy

oh :/ its not waterproof. i sweat a lot when i run

Oh wow, thats perfect. I was just gonna get another armband. which atthis point for a 4.7 screen would be crazy

oh :/ its not waterproof. i sweat a lot when i run

On the site they also sell small waterproof bags, but I don't know if you'd want to use that as a solution

Dany

Banned
On the site they also sell small waterproof bags, but I don't know if you'd want to use that as a solution

Hmm, I think I would still prefer that over an armband. Seems like I could do more varied workouts since my shorts don't have pockets. wearing an armband or holding the phone while lifting is so silly.

antigoon

Picked up the silicone case for my 6 and the leather for my dad's. It's the first smartphone case I've ever used, and it's not so bad. Damn phone is so slippery without it.

Sinister

Neo Member
Unsure if someone answered you... Verizon doesn't support voice and data services simultaneously. Ex; can't post to Twitter, get directions, or use safari while in a call. At&t does. (Edit; at least for the iPhone products and the better part of Verizon's existance as a cdma carrier in the US)

No, thanks. Gotocha. What about the 1x thing? Just as a reminder, when i hang up it quickly shows 1x and then goes up to LTE, is that just a network (or data) reset when you get off a call? Just new to the network and curious.

Clipse

Unsure if someone answered you... Verizon doesn't support voice and data services simultaneously. Ex; can't post to Twitter, get directions, or use safari while in a call. At&t does. (Edit; at least for the iPhone products and the better part of Verizon's existance as a cdma carrier in the US)
With the iPhone 6 and 6+, Verizon now supports simultaneous talk and data. Just need to go into your account settings and activate it. http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/19/verizon-volte-now-enabled/

So I recorded a video on my iPhone 6 today and uploaded it to Facebook via AT&T LTE. I looked at it later and for some reason the video looked like garbage. I don't mean like not 1080p garbage, I mean like it could easily be mistaken for a 480p video.

So I thought, well that must be ATT being idiots and limiting my upload via LTE. So I re-uploaded to Facebook again via my home wi-fi. Looks just as bad as it did earlier on LTE.

What the hell is going on here?

Fletcher

Hey, guys. Got a 6 waiting for me at home tonight. If I just place the SIM card from my 5s into the 6 and turn it on will it be fine? Do I need to call AT&T to activate?

basefree

Torn between the regular 6 and the 6+. On the one hand I like being able to hold my phone comfortably in one hand. Using it whilst going running would be easier for example, and fitting it into a tight pocket would not be an issue with the 4.7'.

On the other hand, I want that 1080p screen and longer battery life (really important to me), and having a larger screen might make me ditch my iPad 3.

Gah! Why did they have to give us choices?

So I recorded a video on my iPhone 6 today and uploaded it to Facebook via AT&T LTE. I looked at it later and for some reason the video looked like garbage. I don't mean like not 1080p garbage, I mean like it could easily be mistaken for a 480p video.

So I thought, well that must be ATT being idiots and limiting my upload via LTE. So I re-uploaded to Facebook again via my home wi-fi. Looks just as bad as it did earlier on LTE.

What the hell is going on here?

Settings -> Facebook -> Upload HD.

Sarye

Can CDMA phones work on GSM networks?

No however the iPhone 6 has both CDMA and GSM. So buying the iPhone 6 from Verizon is probably the easiest as they come unlocked right out of the box. In fact, I am currently using a Verizon iPhone 6 on AT&T. All I had to do was get a micro sim from AT&T (which is free)

AT&T will unlock if you call them but they may give you some BS about waiting 30 days. T-Mobile will unlock too if you ask but I think their version of the iPhone is GSM only so it wouldn't work on Verizon (It was true with the 5s, not sure about the 6) Sprint will not unlock the iPhone
No, thanks. Gotocha. What about the 1x thing? Just as a reminder, when i hang up it quickly shows 1x and then goes up to LTE, is that just a network (or data) reset when you get off a call? Just new to the network and curious.
1x is what Verizon used to call Edge which is 2G. It's just the network reconnecting. Verizon does support LTE calling now but you have to enable it. Thankfully it's free. You can do it online.

MercuryLS

Banned
What download and upload speeds is everyone getting on their Iphone 6's 4G LTE?

Highest I got on Bell here in Canada with full bars was 66.36Mb down and 26.83Mb up. Really great numbers, never got anywhere close to that with the 5. Obviously you'll never hit the theoretical 150Mb/s that the LTE chip can do, but that result is pretty great. Would love to see what it's like with some US carriers with full bars.

So I went to the Apple Store yesterday because I had to get my dad's iPhone 5 serviced and when I was pulling up, there was a fucking line. I went through the backdoor so avoid the line and sure enough, the employees there were asking you what you were coming in for.

Anyways, after they gave me a replacement phone, I checked out the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, and I'm completely satisfied with my 6 Plus decision. It feels so awesome in my hand. It is huge, but I don't think that'll prevent me from using my phone. Hell, the iPhone 5 took some getting used to with it's 4" screen, don't see why the 5.5" will be a problem. I also bought a Galaxy S5 temporarily and loved the size of the screen, so the 6 Plus will be perfect for me.

Xamdou

Highest I got on Bell here in Canada with full bars was 66.36Mb down and 26.83Mb up. Really great numbers, never got anywhere close to that with the 5. Obviously you'll never hit the theoretical 150Mb/s that the LTE chip can do, but that result is pretty great. Would love to see what it's like with some US carriers with full bars.

Wow I have 3 out of 5 bars with ATT and I am getting 6.65 down and .60 upload... hella slow yo WTF ATT!?

M_A_C

Hey, guys. Got a 6 waiting for me at home tonight. If I just place the SIM card from my 5s into the 6 and turn it on will it be fine? Do I need to call AT&T to activate?

Wondering this also. If I buy a Verizon off contract version and just throw my At&t sim in do I have to do anything else?

Top Bottom