• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Vyer

Until there's a review that confirms this, all we have to go on are specs and price.

We have every other release and every other spec sheet argument that comes along with it also 'to go on'. It's possible that this could break that trend in some way once reviews roll out, but past results have as much validity as a number on a sheet at this stage.

Raw64life

Having gone from 3G > 4 > 5, this is easily the least they've done to improve the phone in a 2 year span. After 6 years with an iPhone this is probably the most seriously I've ever considered switching to Android.

Why on earth does it go 16GB -> 64GB -> 128GB?

How does 16GB make sense for a product like this? 32GB is far more logical an initial step

It really is petty, and rather ridiculous.

Apple charges banks a fee whenever people use Apple Pay.

How long before banks find a way to squeeze more money out of the people to cover that cost?

Uh every transaction has some sort of bank/credit fee? How do you think banks make money on free checking accounts other than short term investments?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Are there any shots of the iPhone 6 with the screen off? The Apple site makes it look like you can't see the edge of the screen at all, it'd be awesome if that was true.

Curufinwe

A Good Way To Show How Big The New iPhones Are

sykpxsvuliotz5qkhbdv.png

My wife helped talk me out of the 6+ last night by grabbing the paper model I had cut out and holding it next to her 3DS XL.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
My wife helped talk me out of the 6+ last night by grabbing the paper model I had cut out and holding it next to her 3DS XL.

Yeah i was kinda on the iPhone Plus train but after i've realized how freakin huge that thing is... no thanks.

This. I have a friend on facebook just fucking raging about how Android is better. He's really emotionally invested.
Went on a course last week where a developer from a vendor we use spent the entire 3 days just bitching about iphones and Apple. He went as far as saying that if his work gave him an iPhone to use then he was going to refuse it. He then admitted to never having even used one before!!
I'll never understand the extreme level of emotional investment some people have over products and companies that they have no experience of.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It might be as long as the 3DS XL, but it's how thin the 6+ is that makes it carryable. Should easily fit in most pockets, and you'll likely notice it less due to how thin it is.

But there is a 4.7" model for those who don't want the big one.

ZeroX03

Banned
A Good Way To Show How Big The New iPhones Are

sykpxsvuliotz5qkhbdv.png

Actually just grabbed my 3DS XL and tried to use the touch screen one handed. Seems like the 6 Plus will just be small enough to be comfortable to hold for me. comparing it to the print out and 3DS XL.

Have these been posted?

lol

Those sort of ads always scream desperate to me. Sell consumers on the strength of your product alone, don't try and turn it into a pissing match.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It might be as long as the 3DS XL, but it's how thin the 6+ is that makes it carryable. Should easily fit in most pockets, and you'll likely notice it less due to how thin it is.

But there is a 4.7" model for those who don't want the big one.

thin with a large surface area would make me nervous about bending/breaking it in my pocket. I think they could have settled on a single 5" model, seems a decent compromise in size vs portabilty

kaskade

So anyone on T-Mobile every preorder/purchase an iPhone at launch past few years?

I'm trying to figure out how the process works. I notice on apples site, the preordering pages only list ATT, Sprint & Verizon. Am I stuck ordering it from T-Mobile? Or am I able to just buy it/preorder out right friday night?

I bought the 5s. I don't think they had a preorder for that. It seemed like no one had any idea what was going on. New customers were getting phones first. It took me a few weeks and I ordered it right away. I went for the gold though so that probably has to do with it. I think it had to do with the lower stock that T-Mobile got compared to the bigger carriers. I feel like everyone will have their shit together this time.

I believe you can get it through apple but you are buying it full price instead of the payments unless they changed that.

BFIB

I like those ads so long as they are pointing out hypocrisy. It's funny.

Agreed. Why wouldn't Apple want to dive into the larger phone market?

Though as much as Apple rips everyone and sues them for "copying", its pretty funny how similar the back of the iPhone looks to the HTC One M8.

Symphonic

6+ is basically a phablet. All the UI designs and presumably the marketing will probably go with that. It's meant for people that want an in-between for a phone and tablet. Note users, etc.

Regular 6 will be the new default phone.

Squalor

Uh every transaction has some sort of bank/credit fee? How do you think banks make money on free checking accounts other than short term investments?
That's completely untrue. Whether I pay by cash or credit or debit, there's no extra fee unless the shop charges an extra fee for a transaction under "x" amount.

The bank charges the shop, not the consumer.

Bacon

Looks like the 3ds XL is a little bit wider than the 6 plus, I should have no problem putting this baby in most of my pants pockets.

5.5inch phones aren't big. Especially if they are thin.

5.5 inches for a phone is big, it may not be too big for some people but it's definitely big.

I don't know about you but I'm 6'4 with big hands and I think 5.5 inch phones are big regardless. I used an LG G2 which has minimal bezels and frame and yet I had some discomfort when using it one hand or going edge to edge with my fingers.

4.7 is perfect sized for one hand in my opinion but too bad they gimped the phone compared to the 6+.

depths20XX

I don't get how people walk around with huge phones like that. Shit would be annoying in your pocket. Plus they look goofy as fuck when you pull them out.

Dez

Lol at people looking at screen resolution, megapixels, ghz and saying the iPhone lacks in specs. The iPhone is constantly the most powerful phone at the time of its release, and will be again this year. Screen and camera resolution have long reached diminishing returns and Id rather apple use the tradeoffs to its advantage. The only disappointing thing specs wise about these phones is the ram..this will be three straight generations at 1 gb.

MercuryLS

Banned
I don't know about you but I'm 6'4 with big hands and I think 5.5 inch phones are big regardless. I used an LG G2 which has minimal bezels and frame and yet I had some discomfort when using it one hand or going edge to edge with my fingers.

4.7 is perfect sized for one hand in my opinion but too bad they gimped the phone compared to the 6+.

People keep saying that the 6 is gimped, I don't get it. The differences between the two models are minimal.

Lol at people looking at screen resolution, megapixels, ghz and saying the iPhone lacks in specs. The iPhone is constantly the most powerful phone at the time of its release, and will be again this year. Screen and camera resolution have long reached diminishing returns and Id rather apple use the tradeoffs to its advantage. The only disappointing thing specs wise about these phones is the ram..this will be three straight generations at 1 gb.

true:

since iPhone 4, iPhones have had a lower resolution and still things looked better than almost all phones.

Since iPhone 3G, Ghz was on the low end than competitors yet the iPhone outperformed when it came to Apps and such.

Since iPhone 4, Cameras Megapixels have gone above and beyond what iPhone offered but apart from Nokia phones, every other phone camera was crushed in comparison.

Minsc

Gold Member
Not when it comes to battery life.

The 6 Plus gets a single additional hour of battery on wi-fi (11 instead of 10) right? Hardly something I find thrilling or a real benefit to the Plus. My iPhone 5 already has a battery life of ~20 hours with a battery case, so it's actually a huge downgrade.

BearPawB

Banned
true:

since iPhone 4, iPhones have had a lower resolution and still things looked better than almost all phones.

Since iPhone 3G, Ghz was on the low end than competitors yet the iPhone outperformed when it came to Apps and such.

Since iPhone 4, Cameras Megapixels have gone above and beyond what iPhone offered but apart from Nokia phones, every other phone camera was crushed in comparison.

Apple will always have a pure advantage in that the OS is literally built for the specific phone.

It is hard to put into words what a big difference that makes.

reKon

Banned
The 6 Plus gets a single additional hour of battery on wi-fi (11 instead of 10) right? Hardly something I find thrilling or a real benefit to the Plus. My iPhone 5 already has a battery life of ~20 hours with a battery case, so it's actually a huge downgrade.

The main benefit is the idle time, in which you're definitely more likely to notice differences in battery life if you're not using your phone too much.

Dosia

I thought the 6 plus was comical when i first saw the pics, but I just played around with a co-workers note 2 and it really isnt that big. I am still torn though because I do think I prefer the 4.7".

Minsc

Gold Member
The main benefit is the idle time, in which you're definitely more likely to notice differences in battery life if you're not using your phone too much.

True, the idle time will help, but the idle time is fine on the 6 already isn't it (in the sense that if it's just idling and off, it's going to last the days anyway)? Plus you can put the 4.7" in a battery case and it'd still be quite a bit smaller than the 5.5" most likely, and then vastly outperform the battery life of the 5.5, instead of just the 5.5" having a slight advantage.

Looking forward to Anandtech's typical 20+ page review of the phone, full of all sorts of comparisons and charts, that'll put the nails in the coffin, one way or another. :)

Hari Seldon

It is time to change cell phone plans, but I'm not sure what to go with in the US. It seems everyone obfuscates the actual cost of a subsidized plan.

Top Bottom