• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This is insanely comical to me. Seems like you could easily fit another row or two given the space. 3x3 folders pages when each main page holds 24 apps is crazy.

you guys think this is bad? You should see it on ipad, same 3x3 squares lol.

Corgi

Banned
ejQsAL7l.jpg

This is still a crime against humanity and should be regulated by the hague

side note, that damn twitch icon needs to be updated to be flat like everything else ios 7/8

Two Words

I'd like to know if this bending is being caused by people putting it in their back pocket. I never put my phone in my back pocket for this very reason.

Number45

you guys think this is bad? You should see it on ipad, same 3x3 squares lol.
I never notice stuff like this until it's actually pointed out to me. Part of the problem etc.

I'd like to know if this bending is being caused by people putting it in their back pocket. I never put my phone in my back pocket for this very reason.
One of the guys said it was his front pocket, but he had it in there for a huge amount of time. Still I would think a huge amount of people put their phone in their pocket (front or back) so I would assume we'd have heard a lot more about it by now. Time will tell!

reKon

Banned
Ok, so after a weekend, here's my impressions for those who are either on Android, or debating on upgrading.

The Pros:

-Apple's build quality is second to none. Went on a camping trip this weekend with around 50 other people, and everyone was admiring the phone. I loved my HTC One M8 (still quite a few things I miss from it), but that never got the attention that the new iPhone got over initial impressions.
-The "reachability" end sounds silly, but it does work well in practice. Makes using the device one handed a breeze.
-The display, even though its technically 750P, looks better than most devices with 1080P displays on 4.7" screens. Viewing angles are fantastic, and the screen really does "pop". Looks like the icons are above the screen, not in the screen. Kind of hard to understand until you see it.
-The camera. Oh man, the camera. I defended the One M7 and M8's camera. I never really saw the difference. Until I started snapping photos with the new iPhone. Incredibly fast focus, and zooming in on photos, hardly any detail is lost.
-Apps. So many apps.

The Cons.

-I miss my widgets. I had everything right on my home screen on my M8. I could see my notes to remind me of things to do. I had my MLB At Bat app w/ the detail I needed to see. Apple needs to find a way to fit these on future releases. Its one of those things that you really don't realize you miss, until you don't have it.
-While there's a lot about iOS I like, it really does seem like its taken a step back now that KitKat is out. "Ok,Google" was a really great feature. Siri gets the job done, but its no where close to what Google Voice can do.
-I wanted to load a ringtone. So I went to Zedge's app, and picked a ringtone. I then was prompted to connect to iTunes with my phone, and had to set up WiFi Sync. In this day and age, there is no reason I should ever have to connect my phone to my PC, unless I'm transferring photos, videos etc. Something like a ringtone shouldn't need to go through those methods.
-I know Apple loves the grid method. But I already have 3 screens full of icons. Folders help, but I like my home screens with a little less clutter. App drawer from Android works well, since you have the apps, but they're hidden and easily accessible in the drawer.

Overall, iOS 8 is a big step forward that bridges some of the gaps between Android and iOS. But if you've been riding on KitKat, going to iOS may be a tough transition. The phone itself is fantastic. Build quality, camera, display is jaw dropping in person. I took the foray after an unfortunate screen shatter on my M8, and decided to jump back to Apple to see if the magic was still there. Its there still, but I can't say I won't jump back to next years Android flagships, depending on whats offered.

I feel like you got that attention more because the phone came out and people were interested in seeing it in person. I think the iPhone 5 was the best looking iPhone. When I had my HTC One M7 that was the first phone I ever owned where people in city whether at work or different events would randomly ask me about it. So damn sexy.

Should I 'reduce motion' on iPhone 6 iOS8 as per usual, or is it actually just as fast with the new processing power?

I even reduce motion on my iPad Air because it's faster.

BFIB

I feel like you got that attention more because the phone came out and people were interested in seeing it in person. I think the iPhone 5 was the best looking iPhone. When I had my HTC One M7 that was the first phone I ever owned where people in city whether at work or different events would randomly ask me about it. So damn sexy.

Yeah, thats possible. The HTC One M8 (and M7) really does give Apple a run for its money with the build quality. Its outstanding.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
No one has claimed this bending will be the death of Apple yet? I'm disappointed. Usually these minor issues cause more drama.

This happened with the iphone 5 and 5s. remember about those? No one remembers, because they were not widespread issues.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Link here.

Wish they did more on the battery life test. 6 seemed to do well all round, high end (if not top) competitor in most areas. Doesn't seem like a huge jump from the 5S, but we knew that already. That Tegra K1 on the Shield Tablet tho.

Surprised the 6 Plus is as close to the 6 in just about every test there is as well. Thought for sure the divide would be wider there.

Also good to see both models at the top of just about every test as well. Wasn't sure if they'd retain their lead with the more modest speed bump this year.

BSsBrolly

Banned
my father in law complaining about battery drain on his 6, same with 2 coworkers. The battery life on my 6Plus , so far, has been stellar. From a full charge at 10am yesterday lasted until 8pm using bluetooth, and wifi- Gaf most of day-

I'm loving the battery life of my 6 so far. Then again, I came from a Nexus 5... By far the worst battery life I have experienced on a phone.

NekoFever

my father in law complaining about battery drain on his 6, same with 2 coworkers. The battery life on my 6Plus , so far, has been stellar. From a full charge at 10am yesterday lasted until 8pm using bluetooth, and wifi- Gaf most of day-

Do people give consideration to the fact that their battery runs down quickly when they're playing with their new phone all day? I got mine down to <10% on Saturday and Sunday quite easily, but now that I'm at work and busy doing other stuff, in a more typical use scenario for me, it's still around 80% in the middle of the afternoon.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The FedEx truck needs to show up already! I've got my day on hold and I'm going nuts over here.

HYPE!

antigoon

I'm impressed by the brightness of the phone even at like 50%.

Same. I was using my phone today and thought to myself that the screen was pretty bright and I might be able to reduce it to save battery and it was actually well under 50%.

The screen looks really great, honestly. Don't care in the slightest that it isn't 1080p.

okaay

Neo Member
How is the battery life on the 6 for you? I'm sure it was discussed in this thread before but i couldnt find it on the past few pages at least.
Its whats bothering me the most with my current 4s.

HUELEN10

How is the battery life on the 6 for you? I'm sure it was discussed in this thread before but i couldnt find it on the past few pages at least.
Battery life is fine, easily last the whole day as did my 5 before it.

BFIB

Right now I'm sitting at Standby 23 hrs 51 minutes and Usage at 8 hrs 31 minutes with 10% left. Letting it die completely today.

After the weekend I wanted to chime in with my feelings. This is going from a 4S to a 6 non-plus:

+ Love the larger screen
+ Can still one-hand the phone as needed
+ TouchID is wonderful. So much easier to unlock the phone
+ Camera and performance greatly improved
+ Despite 1GB RAM, much less reloading than on the 4S so I'm happy
+ Battery life seems good. Initial charge drained pretty quickly and worried me, but after recharging all night I was able to make it through the day with 50% left and that's with all the new-phone playing I was doing.

- I don't like the rounded edges and I feel the phone is too thin. If I'm laying down using the phone (in bed, etc.) and have to grip the phone to hold it up the thin, rounded edges tend to dig into my palms and become uncomfortable. I have a case to go on it but it's equally thin and rounded so no help there. I kind of wish they had stuck with the flat edges like on the 4/5, personally. And if the phone was a little thicker I would not complain since it would likely increase battery life as well.

Curufinwe

While I'm not a case guy, myself, my wife picked this guy up from Best Buy and it's actually pretty nice. Phone still feels thin in your hand and grippiness is improved. The visual in the pattern on the back is insanely less in your face in person. It's more of a texture than a design when you hold it in real life.

Not at all a bad choice, but that's a Best Buy in-house brand...so you'd have to get it from them if you're interested.

I don't have my phone yet, but I looked at the case at BB on the weekend and thought this one was nice.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ballistic-tungsten-tough-case-for-apple-iphone-6-ice-blue-battleship-gray/8548198.p?id=1219345071223&skuId=8548198&st=categoryid$abcat0811006&cp=3&lp=14

I just wish I could find one with a removable front cover that does NOT have a clip attached.

ckohler

Are you guys having web pages (particularly mobile GAF) flicker periodically when you scroll? I'm assuming this is an iOS 8 issue because I think my iPad does it also.

RubxQub

Are you guys having web pages (particularly mobile GAF) flicker periodically when you scroll? I'm assuming this is an iOS 8 issue because I think my iPad does it also.

Any easy steps to reproduce? I'm swiping through threads quickly and don't see any kind of obvious issue.

Perhaps if there are more pictures or something in the thread vs. just text?

RubxQub

DisplayMate tests iPhone 6 and 6+, rates it the best LCD display on the market

Overall best display goes to Samsung Note 4 which is OLED.

DisplayMate said:
iPhone 6 Plus: Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the iPhone 6 Plus is the Best performing Smartphone LCD display that we have ever tested. It delivers uniformly consistent all around Top Tier display performance. The iPhone 6 Plus is only the second Smartphone display (LCD or OLED) to ever get all Green (Very Good to Excellent) Ratings in all test and measurement categories (except for Brightness variation with Viewing Angle, which is the case for all LCDs) since we started the Display Technology Shoot-Out article series in 2006, an impressive achievement for a display. The iPhone 6 Plus has raised the bar for top LCD display performance up by a notch. See the main Display Shoot-Out Comparison Table for all of the measurements and details.

A lot of detail in there, but in case anyone was curious...the iPhone 6 and 6+ displays are boss, with the 6+ taking the overall LCD crown.

They do breakdowns of LCD vs. OLED pros and cons, but it seems like the Samsung Note 4 is still considered the best display on the market from their POV.

Edit: What infiniteloop said.

pxleyes

Banned
It's been a weekend. My phone is still naked. What cases should I give consideration to?

Anything by Speck is my go-to. I have a CandyShell on it atm, but I'm eyeing the new MightyShell.

I think this is gorgeous for a case in terms of minimal added bulk and great protection. Colors aren't half bad either ;)
IMZ0o6t.png

Dany

Banned
Why exactly? I've always liked the black personally. Makes the colors pop better? At least with the 4S compared my black vs my wife's white.... Edit: I mean the bezel.
It makes the design of the phone pop more and it really actually contrasts the display fairly nice.

ZeroX03

Banned

Good read! Looking forward to seeing that quality jump in person.

Playing around with the Note 3, I've got to say it's really impressive in a bunch of situations. My 5S struggles a bit in direct sunlight with clarity, but the Note 3's OLED is crystal clear in the harshest sun. Will be glad to see that size and quality on an iPhone.

What's currently frustrating me is this: I went through the process of trying to get an Iphone6+ the other night through Apples replenishing of stock over the weekend(They actually had some available). Here's the thing. If you decide you want to go through the ATT Next program (which they are currently advertising the hell out of) you go through the process of picking your phone etc. But there is no options for personal pickup. Why? If I choose the 2 year contract upgrade(I have an upgrade no matter what since I currently have a launch day Iphone 5) which is 399$+40$+Tax (vs 50$ tax through the ATT next program) I could have gotten the personal pick up., I obviously elected not to choose that choice and even if I wanted to I probably wouldnt have had time to buy it as they go within the first 2-3min after or around 10pm. Any one know why that is? At this rate I should just order and wait to see what kind of shipping I'm going to get. (It says around Oct 23-30th or whatever.)

VoxPop

Here are some of my impressions after using it over the weekend.

- Screen is absolutely gorgeous. Coming from a HTC One (M7), I think the iPhone looks even better despite having a lower resolution (regular 6).

- Build quality is as wonderful as expected. The materials and shape just feels wonderful in the hand. The camera protrusion and bands on the back are nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be. (space grey)

- Size is perfect and was an easy transition from the M7. Readability is a godsend for one handed use. The aluminum and rounded edges do make it a little slippery to hold but it does feel damn good. Still rolling naked but I ordered the Apple leather case so I'll see how that is. Went to the Apple Store at like 11PM yesterday to pick up a case and there were still insane lines despite the phone having come out on Friday so it was a no-go.

- Camera is superbbbb. Coming off the godawful cameras on the Nexus and M7, it feels great to have a good camera again.

- So I let the battery die the first day I got it by going max brightness and running a bunch of games and videos. Did a full charge afterwards. I've been using it over the weekend at around 50% brightness and moderate usage. Didn't really play any games or videos though except my friends just opening them and checking out how they look. Just a bunch of web browsing, reddit, downloading apps, tinkering and endless iMessages. Haven't charged it since.

Battery has been fantastic! This was on the regular 6 so I can't even imagine what the Plus battery would be like.

- I do want to check out the Plus but I just don't see myself going with such a huge phone. I've handled my fair share of Note 2's and 3's and I'm just not a fan. Especially without the benefit of the stylus.

I'm very content with my purchase and absolutely love the phone. Perfect size, screen, battery in one package. No compromises that I can think of except the lack of a back button which I do miss but Readability remedies that somewhat. I'm so glad to be off Android and to be back on the iOS ecosystem.

Now just eagerly waiting jailbreak so I can get a filesystem going along with widgets, themes, and all the tweaks :D

grkazan12

Any 6 Plus owners still unsure yet, At first the size was pretty daunting, but after using it for the past couple of days I kind of got used to it. I also used my friend's normal 6 and the size was pretty nice as well. The 6 Plus is perfect for use in the home, watching videos and reading forums was a blast. One handed use is definitely harder on the plus, but not impossible. Battery life is awesome as well. The plus totally fits in my fitted/skinny jeans as well, for those of you wondering I tried out the 6 Plus in a pair of Levi's Slim Fit 511.

Idk, I think both phones are excellent, but I'm still torn on which size to go with. Anyone else still undecided?

Anything by Speck is my go-to. I have a CandyShell on it atm, but I'm eyeing the new MightyShell.

I think this is gorgeous for a case in terms of minimal added bulk and great protection. Colors aren't half bad either ;)
IMZ0o6t.png

many people have recommended me the speck but then I see the weird lines, odd colors and huge branding and logo and I tell myself, why would I ruin a perfectly sleek phone with that.

if speck made a phone without the big ass branding and logo and removed those weird lines and got in simple colors, quality wise they are good but look wise they are atrocious

Apath

Received an e-mail this morning saying that my iPhone 6 Plus will be coming tomorrow!! I can not believe it!

Screw AT&T Premier though. Will never pre-order anything from them ever again.
Ah when did you order? Cannot believe mine still hasn't shipped while I'm seeing everyone everywhere getting shipping notices.

Top Bottom