• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I picked up the 64GB Space Grey. I love it. The black front is gorgeous, when you turn off the screen you can barely see the bezel. I would have preferred a darker back but the grey isn't so bad. It's growing on me for sure.

hoss

Anyone coming from a 5S to a 6? Do you feel there are enough improvements to justify the upgrade? I bought an unlocked 5S last week (had a 4 previously) and it seems awesome, but thinking I won't upgrade again for 3 years or so and it might make sense to just get a 6 now. Still have a couple week to return the 5S.

MercuryLS

Banned
I picked up the 64GB Space Grey. I love it. The black front is gorgeous, when you turn off the screen you can barely see the bezel. I would have preferred a darker back but the grey isn't so bad. It's growing on me for sure.

I wined an iPhone 5 with the slate back. Trust me, you don't. It just doesn't hold up, the lightly coloured aluminium on the space grey should look great in the future.

Anyone coming from a 5S to a 6? Do you feel there are enough improvements to justify the upgrade? I bought an unlocked 5S last week (had a 4 previously) and it seems awesome, but thinking I won't upgrade again for 3 years or so and it might make sense to just get a 6 now. Still have a couple week to return the 5S.

I'm on a 5s and didn't upgrade to the 6 or 6 Plus. There are some improvements with the camera and screen I'd like, but I want to wait. The # release cycle is good if you want the new design, the #S cycle is good if you want the refined hardware.

BFIB

I don't mind the bands on the back, as those were on the M7 and M8. But a black band would have better fit the Space Grey IMO.

Sullichin

Honestly, if my battery life wasn't so bad on my 5 and my phone wasn't so banged up I'd have stuck with it for a bit longer. The 5 (and I'm sure the 5s) perform just fine.
The screen on the 6 is definitely nicer though. It really pops.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I wined an iPhone 5 with the slate back. Trust me, you don't. It just doesn't hold up, the lightly coloured aluminium on the space grey should look great in the future.
Oh, I get why they changed it, but it still looked better until it got scratched to hell. Guess it's just a result of coming from the 4.

Did anyone get the Flickr app working with Auto Upload to Flickr option?

Rather than using PhotoStream and iCloud, I'm thinking of moving to Flickr considering they give 1TB space.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/22...m_source=osx&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=ios

Both new iPhones can charge faster with iPad charger. They can take 2.1amps. We discussed this earlier. I am mad at Apple because they should have included a 2.1amp iPad charging brick with the 6 Plus.
For me, the iPhone 6 Plus actually couldn't keep up with usage with only 1.0 amp...it was slowly draining while listening to music and using maps for navigation despite saying it was charging.

Switched to a 2.1 amp charging setup in the car and now it appropriately gains charge despite heavy usage in the car.

nynt9

Anyone tried XCOM on the 6+? Does it run well or at all for that matter? How does it look on the higher res.

I did. It runs and looks fine. Obviously still not up to par with the PC version, but much better and comfortable than on the 5s.

Vyer

fwiw, it sure feels like the standard iPhone charger charges my 6 faster than my 5 did. Might just be my imagination.

Soybean

Even scratched to hell (which mine was because I don't like cases), the black iPhone 5 looks better than the space grey I have now. The loss of black is a terrible tragedy for the iPhone community.

Fjordson

I mean I'm sure the regular charger would be good enough for my regular 6, but my new car has USB so I was going to pick up an extra cable anyways.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/22...m_source=osx&utm_medium=push&utm_campaign=ios

Both new iPhones can charge faster with iPad charger. They can take 2.1amps. We discussed this earlier. I am mad at Apple because they should have included a 2.1amp iPad charging brick with the 6 Plus.

I could've sworn the same thing applies to the iPhone 5. I've been using my iPad charger for the 5 ever since.

Anywho, I'm findin iOS 8 to be a tad glitchy. I've issues with it being kind of sluggish yesterday. Amazon music didn't wanna load its prime database no matter how many times I manually closed it, notes app was hanging for seconds instead of instantly opening, icab browser crashes with a single tab open, and lastly, my phone was weirdly dim last night no matter how much I cranked the brightness. It took rebooting the OS to get things functional again. My battery life still isn't as good as what people have been reporting, but I felt that's been the case since the iPhone 4 lol.

Currently sitting at 9%, 6 hr 44 min usage/17 hr 35 min standby. My most used app is icab at 72% followed by amazon music at 13%. I never streamed music, I just have albums downloaded from amazon and they're accessible thru the app.

Finally, the Spigen Neo Hybrid case has a definitive strike against it since the cutout for the headphone jack isn't big enough. The plug on my UERM is a right angle plug and it doesn't fit! Arghhh Anyone with customs or phones that utilize the typical Westone epic cables will probably have the same issue

Even scratched to hell (which mine was because I don't like cases), the black iPhone 5 looks better than the space grey I have now. The loss of black is a terrible tragedy for the iPhone community.

Man I've been curious about this. I was thinking of going caseless since my slate iPhone 5 took hits like a champ. There are dents and chips in the chamfered edges but the anodized aluminum held up amazingly considering how much shit it's been thru in two years. So the space grey actually doesn't conceal damage all that well then? I might have to keep a case on mine if so. For the first time in actually finding the phone far more comfy WITHOUT a case than with :(

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Neat trick for ensuring your iPhone wallpaper is of the highest possible quality when you set it.

Basically: When you set an image as a wallpaper that is a jpg, iOS compresses it and you get artifcating as a result. If you use the iOS screenshot feature on the image as you'd like it instead, you get a PNG version of the image that doesn't lose quality when it's compressed and you get much higher clarity as a result.

Just did it for the picture of my daughter that I'm using and the quality improvement is noticeable.

The sample he provides in the thread is pretty damn clear as well.

FYI!

What's currently frustrating me is this: I went through the process of trying to get an Iphone6+ the other night through Apples replenishing of stock over the weekend(They actually had some available). Here's the thing. If you decide you want to go through the ATT Next program (which they are currently advertising the hell out of) you go through the process of picking your phone etc. But there is no options for personal pickup. Why? If I choose the 2 year contract upgrade(I have an upgrade no matter what since I currently have a launch day Iphone 5) which is 399$+40$+Tax (vs 50$ tax through the ATT next program) I could have gotten the personal pick up., I obviously elected not to choose that choice and even if I wanted to I probably wouldnt have had time to buy it as they go within the first 2-3min after or around 10pm. Any one know why that is? At this rate I should just order and wait to see what kind of shipping I'm going to get. (It says around Oct 23-30th or whatever.)

Any Ideas?

Cheech

Any runners take their iPhone 6 Plus out for a spin this weekend? How did it go?

Are there even any armbands available yet? I'm waiting on Grantwood Technologies' Tuneband. I've used it with my 4S, 5, and 5S. It's great, except no water resistance, so you need a bulkier waterproof band when it's raining. Very easy to get in and out.

Their 6/6 Plus Tuneband pretty much dictates which of those phones I go with. I'm worried about the 6 Plus bouncing around too much on my arm.

For me, the iPhone 6 Plus actually couldn't keep up with usage with only 1.0 amp...it was slowly draining while listening to music and using maps for navigation despite saying it was charging.

Switched to a 2.1 amp charging setup in the car and now it appropriately gains charge despite heavy usage in the car.

That is ridiculous, and an obvious oversight. I would try to get a free iPad charger out of the Apple Store. Enough people do it, maybe they'll start including the correct charger. The iPad Mini Retina comes with a beefier charger as well, it's an easy case to make.

Soybean

Man I've been curious about this. I was thinking of going caseless since my slate iPhone 5 took hits like a champ. There are dents and chips in the chamfered edges but the anodized aluminum held up amazingly considering how much shit it's been thru in two years. So the space grey actually doesn't conceal damage all that well then? I might have to keep a case on mine if so. For the first time in actually finding the phone far more comfy WITHOUT a case than with :(

Oh, I have no idea how space gray will look with damage. It'll probably hide nicks and scratches better, I imagine, but I don't care. Black (even with silver nicks on it) is more appealing to me.

how gaf looks in my hand on my 6 Plus.

note: no service as my cell service is still on my 5 until I get a case for my plus

IMG_0283.JPG

As AppleCare + adds a year to the standard warranty, does that extend to battery replacement? It becomes much more tempting if I could get that replaced just before selling my current iPhone in 2016.

Just got my 6+ upgrade, but it's not receiving cellular service even after adding my phone number to the Phone settings. I've powered off my 5 and power cycled the 6+ to no avail. Should I just swap SIM cards?

If you're not intending to upgrade for three years & the money isn't a big deal, I think that you should absolutely get a 6. It's just better in general (subjective design aside), although the 5s is certainly no slouch.

SeanR1221

Neat trick for ensuring your iPhone wallpaper is of the highest possible quality when you set it.

Basically: When you set an image as a wallpaper that is a jpg, iOS compresses it and you get artifcating as a result. If you use the iOS screenshot feature on the image as you'd like it instead, you get a PNG version of the image that doesn't lose quality when it's compressed and you get much higher clarity as a result.

Just did it for the picture of my daughter that I'm using and the quality improvement is noticeable.

The sample he provides in the thread is pretty damn clear as well.

FYI!

I just did this with a couple wallpaper from interface lift but didn't notice any major difference.

Then again I'm on a 6 not 6+

Darkman M

Just got my 6+ upgrade, but it's not receiving cellular service even after adding my phone number to the Phone settings. I've powered off my 5 and power cycled the 6+ to no avail. Should I just swap SIM cards?

Shouldn't your old SIM card automatically be deactivated after activating the new phone?

Shouldn't your old SIM card automatically be deactivated after activating the new phone?

That's what has happened for me every other time, yeah.

Edit: Apparently you have to do this over the phone now; before I always activated via iTunes. No activation prompt in iTunes for me this time. Weird. Called AT&T Customer Service and the IVR system immediately recognized that I needed to activate a new device.

As AppleCare + adds a year to the standard warranty, does that extend to battery replacement? It becomes much more tempting if I could get that replaced just before selling my current iPhone in 2016.
Yes, battery replacement is included. But keep in mind that the battery has to have lost a certain capacity. I don't think they'll accept "I'd like a new battery please!" At that point it's better to drop the phone near the end of AC+ and get your money's worth with a new battery + casing.

Top Bottom