• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Anyone coming from a 5S to a 6? Do you feel there are enough improvements to justify the upgrade? I bought an unlocked 5S last week (had a 4 previously) and it seems awesome, but thinking I won't upgrade again for 3 years or so and it might make sense to just get a 6 now. Still have a couple week to return the 5S.

I made the upgrade from a 5S to the 6 (I've had every iPhone, a Palm Pre, and a Nexus S over the years). For me, it was worth the upgrade, but since you're taking the "I won't upgrade for 3 more years" approach, I'd say it's definitely worth the upgrade if you don't take a big hit on the 5S you just bought. I'd say that because the iPhone 5S will start to get left behind in software features starting with iOS 9 (which is Apple's standard 2 years of full support policy/history). By the time you'll be ready to upgrade, your 5S will be running a heavily gimped version of iOS 10/11.

Here's my three biggest 5S vs. 6 thoughts:

- Extra screen real estate is a huge bonus. The jump from the 4S to the 5 was a nice boost in that everything became widescreen. The jump from the 5S to the 6 just gives you so much more screen real estate overall. It's really a pleasure to surf the web, play games, etc on the 4.7" display.

- Battery life is definitely an improvement. There were a lot of times with my 5S that I was charging the phone back up around 3-4pm just so I could make it through the rest of the night. Even with the new phone factor of me using the 6 pretty heavily all weekend, I haven't been scrambling to find a power cord yet.

- Apple Pay is clearly going to be their next big thing with the iPhone line and you'll be left out with the 5S.

One positive I'll say with the 5S is that it has the 64-bit architecture, so it should keep up with OS advances MUCH better than the 5 and 5C will with their 32-bit architectures. But, if you can return your 5S and get the 6 for just $100 more, I'd do it...especially if you're looking to get 3 years out of the phone. If you'd have to sell the 5S to someone else and possibly lose money on the transaction, it may not be worth it. Overall, though, Apple's pretty well known for their planned obsolescence so you're always going to get more bang for your buck longevity-wise if you're picking up the newest model.

10 hours usage? Of what?

I have a 6 plus and it will get me through the day easily and the next day I'd start around 49% but it's too risky to not charge

Edit: you didn't have LTE on, LOL, that explains your battery life

It was mostly safari (30-something perfect?) then home screen, spotify, messages, etc.

I played minecraft for about an hour unplugged last night and it drained less than 10%, thought that was pretty nice.

But yeah LTE coverage wasn't particularly good when my 5 came out so I turned it off to save battery life since it was constantly looking for a signal. I restored my Pkus to that backup so it was already off for my first test. We'll see how the battery life fares today while it's on.

rezuth

Not only are they often of poor quality but they're quite lethal at times too. I believe that in 99% of all cases with iPhone related fires it has been due to thirdparty chargers or batteries. Apple even launched a swap in deal last year in order to curb it.

Ken Shirriff did a blogpost two years ago where he compared thirdparty chargers to Apples and what he found was not great news for people, there is a reason why they are dirt cheap.

He focused on counterfeit but the same applies to many thirdparty chargers. Make sure to get a brand thats well established and make sure it fills all the requirements especially UL etc. I highly doubt you will have trouble but its just something to consider for the future.

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html said:
yVJtJPM.png

OW3ilPe.png

One safety difference is obvious: the Apple charger has much more insulation. The upper (high-voltage) half is wrapped in yellow insulating tape. Some components are encased in shrink tubing, there are plastic insulators between some components, and some wires have extra insulation. The counterfeit charger only has minimal insulation.

The build quality of the Apple charger is much higher. In the counterfeit charger, some components are visibly crooked or askew.

Flipping the boards over reveals that the circuitry of the genuine Apple charger is much more complex than the counterfeit. The Apple board is crammed with tiny surface-mounted components in every available spot. The counterfeit board has a lot of empty space, with just a few components. Note the reddish insulating tape in the lower center of the Apple board, another safety feature of the genuine charger.

The creepage distance on the counterfeit charger board below is scary - only 0.6 mm separation between low and high voltage. The sad face on the right shows where a low-voltage trace is nearly touching the high-voltage trace below.

The key safety requirement of the transformer is to separate the high-voltage windings from the low-voltage secondary winding, and the counterfeit charger fails here.

Also note the additional black and white insulation on the wires where they leave the transformer. In the counterfeit charger, the only thing separating the secondary winding from high voltage is the insulating tape. If there is a flaw in the tape or the wires shift too far, then zap!

Lab measurements of the output from the chargers shows a couple problems with the counterfeit. First, the counterfeit turns out to provide at most 5.9W, not 10W. Second, the output voltage is extremely noisy and full of spikes.

Apple's charger is expensive compared to other chargers, but is a high quality product. You should definitely stay away from the cheap counterfeit chargers, as they are low quality and dangerous.

If you want to get an Apple charger without the high price, the best way I've found is to buy a used one on eBay from a US source. I've bought several for testing, and they have always been genuine.

VoxPop

Not only are they often of poor quality but they're quite lethal at times too. I believe that in 99% of all cases with iPhone related fires it has been due to thirdparty chargers or batteries. Apple even launched a swap in deal last year in order to curb it.

Ken Shirriff did a blogpost two years ago where he compared thirdparty chargers to Apples and what he found was not great news for people, there is a reason why they are dirt cheap.

He focused on counterfeit but the same applies to many thirdparty chargers. Make sure to get a brand thats well established and make sure it fills all the requirements especially UL etc. I highly doubt you will have trouble but its just something to consider for the future.

Great read and info, thanks!

So I finally caved and purchased the TPU Case from Insignia from Best buy. 14$.

I think TPU is almost as flexible as Silicon but provides more protection. Apple Silicon was my second choice but at 39. it is too expensive

antigoon

The fuck. Thank's for the heads up.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oh, I get why they changed it, but it still looked better until it got scratched to hell. Guess it's just a result of coming from the 4.

Yeah, if they could have figured out how to keep slate from looking like shit even from light use, that would have looked better than space grey. I like this colour though, I think it looks quite nice matched with the black screen. Slate wasn't pure black either, it was like a really dark blue with various hues based on how it caught the light.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
How long is AT&T's activation supposed to take? I'm getting antsy here.

I had to manually activate my daughter's 6 with AT&T.. annoying.

mine activated automatically within like a minute.

also quick question. has anyone bought cases from threadless? I'm not a big case guy at all.. but my 5s got wtfowned due to the chamfers and some crazy unexplained gouge early on in its life. but I don't want some stupid otterbox aor big bulky case.. so just like something simple with a design I like. Threadless obviously has 50000000 print-on-demand designs.. if the case is "good enough" that's all I really care about. anyone have any experience?

Zeth

Since Best Buy isn't shipping or showing any stores with the Leather 6 case, despite the good price, is there anywhere I can get the black 6 leather case in a physical store? Or am I best off ordering from Apple?

Despite showing out of stock or N/A online, I went to my local BB and they had a bunch of Apple leather cases in stock. Probably a combination of a slow inventory system and the chaos of the recent launch with restocking.

After a weekend of use, I think I'm more blown away with the 6 then when I first started using it Friday. The design and feel of the phone are just perfect. I was afraid with how thin it was that it was going to be light as well, but that is not the case at all. Feels substantial in your hands, and yet almost perfectly fits in your hand like it's not even there.

Still can't believe I have converted to a case though. Was a hardcore non believer in going no case and no screen protector for my 4s, but I was concerned with the camera protruding that I would have issues. The Spigen thin fit "smooth black" is probably the best case I have ever felt/saw. Remarkably thin and unobtrusive, and the coated matte back provides just a base level of slip resistance I was looking for. Hate the rubber sticky covers that get stuck in pockets all the time. Also for $12 CDN on Amazon, it's too cheap not to try. Still going without a screen protector though, as it doesn't feel right to blemish this beautiful display.

Realized it was going to be a big upgrade from the 4s, but I'm just astounded with how good this phone has been so far. We shall see in a years time if that continues to be the case. Battery life has also been better than expected as I'm getting a full day of regular use on an overnight charge.

Now I just have to wait a month for a new iPad lol.

Dany

Banned
If you're having issue activating your phone with att call

It's all automated, it asks the phone number, zip code and last four digits of the SSN on the account.

Curufinwe

many people have recommended me the speck but then I see the weird lines, odd colors and huge branding and logo and I tell myself, why would I ruin a perfectly sleek phone with that.

if speck made a phone without the big ass branding and logo and removed those weird lines and got in simple colors, quality wise they are good but look wise they are atrocious

What about this one? The "speck" is really hard to see.

8259107_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

FWIW I'm very happy with my Incipio NGP case:

incipio-iphone-6-ngp-case-black-ab.jpg

Same case that I had on my 4S. It's a flexible but firm material. Perfect for sliding in and out of my pocket. Doesn't scratch or collect dust or grease, and provides plenty of protection all around.

Zeth

My brother got a Modal case for $20 from Best Buy until he finds something he likes. Doesn't seem too bad.

Edit: oooh, the Incipio looks great. Had something similar on my 5.

Bacon

The only downer is that the keyboard in landscape mode is much nicer in standard mode :( Also Safari looks a bit different as well, I guess they can't fit the buttons with zoomed mode.

Hmm I use chrome and it looks about the same as it did on my 4s. I'm not sure I understand the decision to lock the orientation when in zoomed though.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So I finally caved and purchased the TPU Case from Insignia from Best buy. 14$.

I think TPU is almost as flexible as Silicon but provides more protection. Apple Silicon was my second choice but at 39. it is too expensive

I'm also on the fence about this. Im wondering what would be more protected from impact, a tpu or silicone case.

Same case that I had on my 4S. It's a flexible but firm material. Perfect for sliding in and out of my pocket. Doesn't scratch or collect dust or grease, and provides plenty of protection all around.

What kind of material is it?

Corgi

Banned
I guess Ill check this out? Not sure what you mean though.

"I bought an iphone from apple store on a 2 year contract for AT&T because they don't offer Next option in store, can I switch it to AT&T Next?"

Naturally give them the call before you buy the phone.

borghe

Putting a case on your phone = Putting a plastic cover on your couch.

lol... as someone who just had to beg the AT&T store to not fucking murder me on my trade in because of a gouge somehow on the back...

I agree with you 100%.. but man... I'd sure like a bit longer in the wild to determine this thing is as safe caseless as the pre-5's were...

Putting a case on your phone = Putting a plastic cover on your couch.

wouldnt that be more for a screen protector? cases typically rest underneath the phone, save for those horrid otterboxes

edit:I hate screen protectors but am digging the leather apple slip case for the 6Plus

"I bought an iphone from apple store on a 2 year contract for AT&T because they don't offer Next option in store, can I switch it to AT&T Next?"

Naturally give them the call before you buy the phone.

Thanks I'll give this a try should the option arise again.

Does anyone know how AT&T handles in store purchases for iPhones? I've never used them for an iPhone launch until this one.

If I just try my luck and walk in randomly for the next few days, what are the chances I'll walk in on a new shipment of phones? Will this shipments be automatically on reserve for another customer? I do believe the in store shipments are first come first serve right? Not "Wait list?".

I want my iPhone 6 badly. :(

RoKKeR

Phone and case have arrived, yesssssssssss.

Few more minutes of studying and then I'm off to grab them from campus mail. Hype.

GWX

That's the first iPhone 6 case I've seen that looks great and it's not Apple's.

borghe

Does anyone know how AT&T handles in store purchases for iPhones? I've never used them for an iPhone launch until this one.

If I just try my luck and walk in randomly for the next few days, what are the chances I'll walk in on a new shipment of phones? Will this shipments be automatically on reserve for another customer? I do believe the in store shipments are first come first serve right? Not "Wait list?".

I want my iPhone 6 badly. :(

AT&T is not taking post-launch reservations. You should be able to check inventory from online and see if they are in stock. I was at a store last night that only had 128GB gold 6 in stock.. not sure when they'll get new stock. Stores are first come first serve.

You have 60 days (if you want) to get apple care. However when not buying the phone at apple, you actually need to take it into an Apple Store to get the AppleCare as they have to inspect the phone first.

edit - looking in my area... looks like no new stock has come in.. two stores had the 128GB gold yesterday, and today only one of them has it. No other AT&T stores in the area have anything.

Loving my Apple Leather case on my IP6 Plus.

Best case. Minimal and still protects. Feels great as well. Had a leather case last over 10+ months on my iPhone 5S without issue. Dropped it numerous times on cement and it never busted or anything.

AT&T is not taking post-launch reservations. You should be able to check inventory from online and see if they are in stock. I was at a store last night that only had 128GB gold 6 in stock.. not sure when they'll get new stock. Stores are first come first serve.

You have 60 days (if you want) to get apple care. However when not buying the phone at apple, you actually need to take it into an Apple Store to get the AppleCare as they have to inspect the phone first.
Sweet! Do you have a link for any inventory checkers? I have the money for the phone already, I just haven't had any luck finding one.

Checking inventory would be easier than walking in everyday and asking!

HUELEN10

So, after all my Zoom-view sorrows, I decided to disable it for a day to see how it feels, and it is still slightly fucked...
rJNeTEp.png

On the top is an undoctored snippit of the top of the homecreen in Standard View. On the bottom is an undoctored shot of the top of the notification center in a legacy app (which is being upscaled, yet captures on top of the system running at full resolution as supposed to upscaling everything). All I have to ask is why oh why is the signal meter, yet nothing else, skewed exactly 1 pixel to the left on a legacy app? This is like the offset 1 on the calendar all over again, but harder too see, so probably slower/never to fix.
6Izzy0V.jpg

The only reason, and I mean only reason, I bring this up is to see if my installation of iOS 8 is just that bugged, to see if it's just me. Anyone else able to duplicate this, or the completely bugged desktop mode dropdown, or the inability to upload pics on safari? I mean, I don't think I've every had a new phone this buggy/odd before software wise.

Top Bottom