• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Marco1

Absolutely loving my grey 6 with apple leather brown case.
I now see why people love ios over android, I find myself being more productive on this phone than I was on my nexus4 and htc one M8.
TouchID is probably my most favourite feature.

DOWN

Banned
Also that Jobs would never allow this

Antennagate was the wildest thing to me.

When Jobs tried to have this "Ohhh wooow guys, we actually just noticed what the problem was and it totally isn't out fault. The algorithm for calculating signal strength was too generous for like a decade so we'll fix that and then you'll see that you aren't dropping from 5 bars to 1, it's more like 3 to one. The error was surely a total accident and not an attempt to be generous with signal strength to deceptively please a customer with misrepresented service and device quality."

And I didn't even take the part where they showed all their competitors weak points.

But, yeah, Jobs would allow this.

Got my iPhone 6 Plus and just as I was about to put it on the table after the initial playing around session I noticed a big fat red stuck pixel. God dam. I wanted to just enjoy this phone instead of having to do the replacement bs right away.

Furyous

Does the iphone 6 use the same rendering technique as the 6+? I ask this because the 6+ uses the same technique as my rMBP. I hope a jailbreaker allows us to go full 2.5K.

Guess Who

Banned
Does the iphone 6 use the same rendering technique as the 6+? I ask this because the 6+ uses the same technique as my rMBP. I hope a jailbreaker allows us to go full 2.5K.

The regular 6 renders at the display's native res (1334x750). Retina Pros render at native res too by default, unless you change it to a scaled mode.

BFIB

This is driving me up the wall. For some reason, I cannot sign into my Gmail acct. I even reset the password, and it says the "username or password for imap.gmail.com is incorrect"

Anyone else run into this?

HUELEN10

This is driving me up the wall. For some reason, I cannot sign into my Gmail acct. I even reset the password, and it says the "username or password for impa.gmail.com is incorrect"

Do you have 2-factor authentication enabled? You might need an application password.

Guess Who

Banned
This is driving me up the wall. For some reason, I cannot sign into my Gmail acct. I even reset the password, and it says the "username or password for imap.gmail.com is incorrect"

Do you use two-factor? Might need to make an app-specific password.

Edit: beaten.

Kibbles

What stores have a iphone 6 plus display model? My local Best Buy didn't have one and the nearest apple store is too far for me to travel just for that

Anyone have any experience with ship to home on the 6s? I was thinking about going it with my local apple store and the guy said it would ship in 7 to 10 days. Not sure I believe that when I see how backed up these other stores are

HUELEN10

Anyone have any experience with ship to home on the 6s? I was thinking about going it with my local apple store and the guy said it would ship in 7 to 10 days. Not sure I believe that when I see how backed up these other stores are
Store.spple.com's ship to home? Their estimates are usually spot-on; more accurate than anyone else anyways...

hitsugi

So, my contract with ATT is up in a week. I want to switch to T-Mobile, but it looks like they're really backed up with phones. Strangely, every Apple store near my zip code has ATT iPhones in Stock, but none have the T-Mobile version.

What should I do? Make the switch with my current phone and just wait it out for T-Mobile to ship it?

Samiad

- I don't like the rounded edges and I feel the phone is too thin. If I'm laying down using the phone (in bed, etc.) and have to grip the phone to hold it up the thin, rounded edges tend to dig into my palms and become uncomfortable. I have a case to go on it but it's equally thin and rounded so no help there. I kind of wish they had stuck with the flat edges like on the 4/5, personally. And if the phone was a little thicker I would not complain since it would likely increase battery life as well.

This matches my feelings 100%. I much prefer the iPhone 4 in terms of weight and general feel.

I don't use a phone case but will try and find something that helps to make the iPhone 6 better to hold.

LCfiner

So I finally spent some time with the 6+ in an apple store. Damn, that is a hard phone for me to use.

It’s so big that I can barely reach across from the bottom to the top of the screen along the same side of my thumb. i need to shift my hand a pretty large amount for me to do this.

I can’t even properly double tap the home button to get to reachability unless I grip this lower sliver of the phone and then get my thumb positioned over the home button. I can mush the home button with my hand placed further up but the double tap requires a little more precision. So i need to move my hand way down to get to reachability then move it up again slightly - and rearrange my grip, risking a drop - to hit the buttons that I wanted to reach in the first place.

too damn big for me and one handed usability just takes too much of a hit. the change is not on the same scale as the 6.

I can deal with an iphone 6 - “only" one corner isn’t easily accessible and the home button is easy to double tap for reachability. The 6+ demands to be used two handed the majority of the time. Not for me. I still don’t get the appeal of this size device (well, I do. bigger web pages, bigger video and games.) but here we are.

Does anyone know if there is any chance Verizon would let me upgrade early? My upgrade date isn't until April but I really want to trade my 5 in for a 6.

rezuth

Antennagate was the wildest thing to me.

When Jobs tried to have this "Ohhh wooow guys, we actually just noticed what the problem was and it totally isn't out fault. The algorithm for calculating signal strength was too generous for like a decade so we'll fix that and then you'll see that you aren't dropping from 5 bars to 1, it's more like 3 to one. The error was surely a total accident and not an attempt to be generous with signal strength to deceptively please a customer with misrepresented service and device quality."

And I didn't even take the part where they showed all their competitors weak points.

But, yeah, Jobs would allow this.

I mean Jobs handled Antenagate like a pro and showed that its an actual problem that comes from regulatory issues with where you can put antennas etc. They showed that the problem occurred on several phones from many manufactures but none the whole strength thing is not entirely as you say. If I remember correctly it was that Apple calculated the signal strength on the last known signal while other manufactures calculated it over an average from several points. This mean that if the phone suddenly dropped before going back up it would show so while other manufactures opted not to show this but instead just go for an average.

This is the same as for the problems they got regarding the phone saving the nearby cell towers several months back and tracing you along the way. It turns out that they just picked a random size it would store up to 2mb or something but it turns out that it can store A LOT of data in that small size. Apple at the time had only been in the phone industry for what? Three years? They are newbies in the game and are bound to make tons of mistakes.

your Apple silicon or Leather case will not save your Phone from a fall...

sXBYCuk.jpg

Draper

Cancelled my Plus preorder. Waiting 4 weeks for something I tried to order at 3am is just silly. I won't be doing that again. Think I'm going to see what Google plans on offering next in their Nexus line. I love my Nexus 5.

RoKKeR

Ok GAF I need help. So I have the 6 loaded up and DAMN this thing is beautiful.

How do I activate my phone number? On ATT here.

Cancelled my Plus preorder. Waiting 4 weeks for something I tried to order at 3am is just silly. I won't be doing that again. Think I'm going to see what Google plans on offering next in their Nexus line. I love my Nexus 5.

Supply and Demand my friend. Supply and Demand. Its not silly its Math and Economics. Apple has 1 phone which has a singular high demand. Your Nexus will have a MUCH lower demand because even though there are more Android devices than there are iOS devices. If you compare a particular Model vs iOS model, there is no competition. really.

iPhone 6 sells 10 million

Androids sell 15 Million

Now divide the Android into its newer models:

1. Samsung sells 4 million
2. Nexus sells 2 million
3. HTC sells 1 million
4. rest sell 4 million

there is no competition in individual demand an iPhone device has

Corgi

Banned

is the next nexus coming out in 4 weeks?

pxleyes

Banned

Could have just slept in and gone on Friday. I was in and our of a Verizon store in an hour. No pre-order, no hassle.

Draper

Supply and Demand my friend. Supply and Demand. Its not silly its Math and Economics. Apple has 1 phone which has a singular high demand. Your Nexus will have a MUCH lower demand because even though there are more Android devices than there are iOS devices. If you compare a particular Model vs iOS model, there is no competition. really.

iPhone 6 sells 10 million

Androids sell 15 Million

Now divide the Android into its newer models:

1. Samsung sells 4 million
2. Nexus sells 2 million
3. HTC sells 1 million
4. rest sell 4 million

there is no competition in individual demand an iPhone device has

Oookay... you went straight into defense mode there didn't ya?

is the next nexus coming out in 4 weeks?

Last year it was the end of Oct.

Could have just slept in and gone on Friday. I was in and our of a Verizon store in an hour. No pre-order, no hassle.

Actually my gf did that, they announced that they were out of the Plus version almost immediately.

Top Bottom