• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

RoKKeR

Were you previously iPhone/AT&T? I had an iPhone 5 and set up my 6 (restore from backup), then activated my service.

Coming from Android on ATT. I have the ATT transfer app downloaded but it wants to prepare all 12,000 of the SMS messages stored on my phone for transfer... which is taking a long ass time.

Fjordson

Here's a dumb question: can I get a phone at the upgrade price in an Apple store? I'm eligible, but I've always bought my phones at an AT&T store. I'm assuming the answer is yes.

hitsugi

Reposting this:

So, my contract with ATT is up in a week. I want to switch to T-Mobile, but it looks like they're really backed up with phones. Strangely, every Apple store near my zip code has ATT iPhones in Stock, but none have the T-Mobile version.

What should I do? Make the switch with my current phone and just wait it out for T-Mobile to ship it?

Draper

its Math. you said its silly why you had to wait 4 weeks and I am telling you its math and economics which prevent the phone from getting to you in 4 weeks

Despite how you may want to rationalize their terrible online system going straight to shit when preorders went up, in my own personal opinion, not yours, going through that then that being compounded by a wait time of 4 weeks is pure silliness.

Silly silly silly.

Enfinit

Putting a case on your phone = Putting a plastic cover on your couch.

Places I take my couch:
- Home

Places I take my phone:
- Bar
- School
- Boat
- Construction site
- Car

The world's a dangerous place. I like to protect my investments. I think your analogy is a little exaggerated.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What should I do? Make the switch with my current phone and just wait it out for T-Mobile to ship it?

I'd recommend doing that.

If you plan on trading in the phone, there should be a leeway period where they send you the new device first and you can go back into a store and trade in the phone later.

For what it's worth, I pre-ordered a 6 Plus on their website last night and they quoted me an estimated delivery date of September 30th, 2014. I have no idea if it's legit or not, though.

Bowser

Coming from Android on ATT. I have the ATT transfer app downloaded but it wants to prepare all 12,000 of the SMS messages stored on my phone for transfer... which is taking a long ass time.

Ah ok, not sure then. I've been Team iPhone since the OG release haha.

Despite how you may want to rationalize their terrible online system going straight to shit when preorders went up, in my own personal opinion, not yours, going through that then that being compounded by a wait time of 4 weeks is pure silliness.

Silly silly silly.

I am sorry I cant call math and economics silly however you may feel. they cannot produce as many phones as the demand is. I was 4 weeks backlogged too, I stood in line for the phone and got it launch day.

nikos

Here's a dumb question: can I get a phone at the upgrade price in an Apple store? I'm eligible, but I've always bought my phones at an AT&T store. I'm assuming the answer is yes.

Yes, you can get subsidized prices at the Apple store.

Places I take my couch:
- Home

Places I take my phone:
- Bar
- School
- Boat
- Construction site
- Car

The world's a dangerous place. I like to protect my investments. I think your analogy is a little exaggerated.

Ok, then it's like putting bumper/door protectors, or steering wheel/seat covers on/in your car. Except worse.

hitsugi

If you plan on trading in the phone, there should be a leeway period where they send you the new device first and you can go back into a store and trade in the phone later.

For what it's worth, I pre-ordered a 6 Plus on their website last night and they quoted me an estimated delivery date of September 30th, 2014. I have no idea if it's legit or not, though.

Thanks. Also that seems way too fast for a shipment placed last night, especially for a 6+, but hey more power to you (and T-Mobile) if that's legit. I guess I'll put our orders in tonight.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. Also that seems way too fast for a shipment placed last night, especially for a 6+, but hey more power to you (and T-Mobile) if that's legit. I guess I'll put our orders in tonight.

I did order the Space Gray in 128 GB.

It seems like Space Gray may be the most common color. I only have anecdotal evidence of asking a few T-Mobile shops about it, but they all said they typically get in a lot more of the Space Gray than any other color. Gold seems to be especially rare.

I did order the Space Gray in 128 GB.

It seems like Space Gray may be the most common color. I only have anecdotal evidence of asking a few T-Mobile shops about it, but they all said they typically get in a lot more of the Space Gray than any other color. Gold seems to be especially rare.

If there was a black front with gold back, a lot of people would be on it like white on Tiger Woods.

MRSA

Banned

I doubt that estimate is correct as its still backordered 3-4 weeks on Apple's website.

My local T-Mobile shop is getting a shipment of iPhone 6 in tomorrow, if you're looking to get one check with your local store tomorrow.

knitoe

Finally, my ATT 128GB SG 6+ arrived today. I was expecting it to be much bigger. Mostly, I used my IP5 in landscape with both hands so going to the larger 6+ wasn't a big deal. Now, I don't feel the need to use the larger screen on my nexus 7 and iPads for browsing.

Has anybody actually given a keyboard "full access"?
I bought Fleksy thinking it was pretty cool but the requirements for full access are a real turn off, and to be completely honest I'm surprised Apple let that through. Seems like a massive security hole imo.

HUELEN10

I bought Fleksy thinking it was pretty cool but the requirements for full access are a real turn off, and to be completely honest I'm surprised Apple let that through. Seems like a massive security hole imo.
It's as bullshit as allow in location services.

No, I don't want to ALWAYS allow RetailMeNot to know my location, only when I prompt it to!

DOWN

Banned

Uh it's just full access as a keyboard, not full access to send your life to a server in Russia

Corgi

Banned
That's how predictive keyboards work. You can't use them for password fields. As long as you don't be an idiot and tell social security and bank id over unsecure channels like email and text, you should be fine.

Got a 6 Plus at Eaton Centre Toronto!!!

Had a big argument with my carrier while I waited in line. They wouldn't cancel my order for 48 hours so I wouldn't be able to do the HUP. Fuck it, I just ended up buying the phone outright. I have been wanting to get out of contract shit for a while.

It's beautiful.

Just sold my old iPhone 5S through Orchard for around $480.

HUELEN10

It's full access to record AND transmit anything you type or have typed on that keyboard. Which could be anything.
Exactly, and many of the smaller ones are being made by people we don't know, and possibly shouldn't trust.

For the uninformed, enjoy your botnet indeed...

Exactly, and many of the smaller ones are being made by people we don't know, and possibly shouldn't trust.

For the uninformed, enjoy your botnet indeed...
That's what worries me. I'm sure they're not doing anything with that info but if these companies are small and don't have the best security, anything could happen.

DOWN

Banned
I agree with some others earlier that 4 is the most stunning design they have done, 5/5S photograph better than 6 (though 5/5S now look dated), but 6 is definitely today's best-looking in person. It looks like someone asked Aston Martin to redesign the original iPhone (I have the Space Grey, so it's similar to the original colors). Love the curve way more than I thought I would.

Xamdou

Just traded my 32GB Black Iphone 4S at ATT for $200 just for the phone itself and no accesories... in comparison Bestbuy offered only $120 for it and Amazon $160 if I included the accessories!

Corgi

Banned
Just traded my 32GB Black Iphone 4S at ATT for $200 just for the phone itself and no accesories... in comparison Bestbuy offered only $120 for it and Amazon $160 if I included the accessories!
Did you need to buy a new phone from them to get the promo?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yes. Buy a new iPhone and trade in your old one for an AT&T promo credit. 4, 4s and 5 for $200 and 5s for $300. Sizes and accessories don't matter, however condition does. No major cosmetic defects or the prices will drop.

Xamdou

I bought my Golden ATT 128GB Iphone 6 from my local Apple store under ATT two year contract and then I went to my Corporate ATT store and they still gave me the promo even though I didn't buy directly from them. As long as it's a two year ATT contract your Golden!

MRSA

Banned
So I just realized something, Sprint is offering $200 minimum for ANY iPhone if you trade it in towards an iPhone 6/+.

That means you can get $250 at T-Mobile if you can convince them to do so. Time to give T-Mobile a call.

Husker86

I gave SwiftKey full access. They are a very known and successful company, at least as far as Android users know. I trust them and this keyboard is one of the reasons I can use iOS as a daily driver.

HUELEN10

I'm sure they're not doing anything with that info but if these companies are small and don't have the best security, anything could happen.
lPOv5LE.jpg

RoKKeR

Alright so what's the consensus on power cycling these days? Still something you should do? Was just talking to my brother and he suggested doing one complete cycle from your first charge and then just try to keep it charged as much as possible from there on out. Sound about right or...

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Alright so what's the consensus on power cycling these days? Still something you should do? Was just talking to my brother and he suggested doing one complete cycle from your first charge and then just try to keep it charged as much as possible from there on out. Sound about right or...

I heard you should do it once a month, but then after that the optimal charge region for batteries is to keep it between 40-80%.

DOWN

Banned

I heard you should do it once a month, but then after that the optimal charge region for batteries is to keep it between 40-80%.

Apple no longer recommends any battery calibrations or cycling. It used to be a tip they gave on older devices, but they've since removed it from the pages and for a while at least, the MacBook page actually said specifically not to attempt to calibrate it as modern batteries are programmed to maintain themselves under regular use.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#ios

Corgi

Banned
I bought my Golden ATT 128GB Iphone 6 from my local Apple store under ATT two year contract and then I went to my Corporate ATT store and they still gave me the promo even though I didn't buy directly from them. As long as it's a two year ATT contract your Golden!
K. Problem is my iPhone 6+ is still in preorder limbo from them. No clue if it will arrive by the promotion end date.

Got a 6 Plus at Eaton Centre Toronto!!!

Had a big argument with my carrier while I waited in line. They wouldn't cancel my order for 48 hours so I wouldn't be able to do the HUP. Fuck it, I just ended up buying the phone outright. I have been wanting to get out of contract shit for a while.

It's beautiful.

Just sold my old iPhone 5S through Orchard for around $480.
really? Reserve? Just stood in line????

I'm visiting my folks and I had to type something in to mom's 5S, and instantly I thought,

"Holy fuck this thing is small. Has it always been this small? I don't remember mine feeling this small."

Goddammit. It only took 48 hours.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt that estimate is correct as its still backordered 3-4 weeks on Apple's website.

My local T-Mobile shop is getting a shipment of iPhone 6 in tomorrow, if you're looking to get one check with your local store tomorrow.

Yeah, there's a good chance it's wrong.

The T-Mobile site had an estimate of "1-8 weeks before shipped"

Addnan

Is there a quick way to turn off vibrate when in silent without having to go into settings? Have been away from ios for years so not sure of the ins and outs just yet.

MicH

Is there a quick way to turn off vibrate when in silent without having to go into settings? Have been away from ios for years so not sure of the ins and outs just yet.
If you swipe up you can enable "Do Not Disturb" mode (icon is a moon) which will disable vibration for everything

Ninja Dom

I've been using my Space Grey 6 for one entire day and I LOVE IT!!!

Coming from a 5S, the screen seems huge, and this isn't even the Plus. I've got the text size on the smallest setting and I'm loving the amount of screen space available.

Still, there's a few games that just don't work. Sound plays but no picture. Whatsapp iCloud Chat Backup doesn't work on iOS 8.

Until I got my handset I had only seen the 6 and 6 Plus in pictures online. Never the real thing. And I think it's a gorgeous looking phone. I'm really pleased so far.

HGStormy

Banned
Really want to get the Element Soft-Tec case for the 6, but it's really pricy. $66 including shipping ;_; Might just wait till there's a discount.

Top Bottom