• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Servbot24

Banned
Until I got my handset I had only seen the 6 and 6 Plus in pictures online. Never the real thing. And I think it's a gorgeous looking phone. I'm really pleased so far.

Yeah it looks much better in person than in pictures. And the size/weight improvements helps offset the size increase.

Xamdou

K. Problem is my iPhone 6+ is still in preorder limbo from them. No clue if it will arrive by the promotion end date.

I've posted this multiple times in this thread already but I pre ordered the Golden 128GB 6+ from ATT and the estimated ship date was November so I cancelled it. I honestly don't want to wait that long.

Samus4145

Been thinking about making the switch from WP8.1 yo either the 6 or 6 plus. As much as I like my Nokia, my office refuses to support it, so upgrading is kind of a requirement right now.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Why are you ridiculing those who use phone cases? If you don't use one, cool. Why does it bother you that other people do?

Wait, because, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Phone wars have evolved, no longer is it android vs. ios, we've taken it a step forward and started dividing within. It's getting old, people who mock others for using a case or screen protector, covering up a shallow mentality of one's own insecurity.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
My screen wad freaking out earlier. It was as if it was being controlled by a ghost. Phantom touches and stuff. Hmm.

DOWN

Banned
So Best Buy has probably 60 different empty slots for iPhone 6 cases that have sold out, so I just ordered the Apple Leather Case for iPhone 6 in Black. Free shipping and it was $5 cheaper than from Apple (wouldn't let me ship to store).

Also, Snugg, who's case I have and posted about the fit of a few pages back, said they are sending me their TPU case free and will send me the corrected fit of the PU Leather case when it's ready within the next 20 business days. No charge, no sending back the original.

Pastry

Banned
So anyone know of a way to check inventory of AT&T/Stores? Be more convenient than randomly checking the store by walking in every day. :p

Yeah the myAT&T app allows you to check inventory with it once you log in. Just log in to your account, go to the iPhone purchase and there should be a button to let you check stores for availability. I'm checking that and Apple store availability everyday, hopefully I get lucky soon :)

kaskade

Well with my full weekend of using the iPhone 6, I really enjoy it. I'm liking the size, I still feel like the 6 plus would probably be too big for me. I'm still waiting for the apps to be updated for the native resolution. I want my super crisp text.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Really is quite fascinating seeing some of the reactions in this thread to the new phone, especially from existing iPhone users. I owned 2 iPhones (3GS and 4) before switching to Android 3 years. Other than some minor annoyances, I didn't miss iPhone too much. I've owned 3 android phones since (Galaxy S1, HTC One X and Galaxy Note 2) - each of a progressively bigger screen size. I guess I just got used to the large displays. It's strange to realize that the tiny iPhone screens have been the only reality for so many smartphone owners out there.

RoKKeR

This phone is so damn nice. I can't get over the build quality, totally outshines my HTC One from 2013 that I thought was pretty solid. iOS is just so smooth as well... a joy to use.

Only thing that is annoying me currently is the little bits of dust that gather between where the phone meets the edge of the Apple leather case haha, but otherwise I'm loving it.

Apple no longer recommends and battery calibrations or cycling. It used to be a tip they gave on older devices, but they've since removed it from the pages and for a while at least, the MacBook page actually said specifically not to attempt to calibrate it as modern batteries are programmed to maintain themselves under regular use.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#ios

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I assumed that by now they must have these things tuned enough that cycling doesn't really matter all that much.

Edit: Do you guys leave on the weird point of view/perspective shifting thing going on with the home screen?

NYR

Had a chance for a iphone plus 64 gb space grey grey and passed. Waiting for Gold. Hope I don't regret it.

Sinister

Neo Member
Has anybody actually given a keyboard "full access"?
I bought Fleksy thinking it was pretty cool but the requirements for full access are a real turn off, and to be completely honest I'm surprised Apple let that through. Seems like a massive security hole imo.

Saw that shit. Instant delete. Hopefully they all won't be that way cause I love the hell out some swipe.

It updates any hour of the day?

Pretty much. Sunday I just missed what seemed to be a country wide restock at 11am. Today I had just come back to my desk at work before 3 pm and decided to check. Eaton Centre was the only one I saw with stock. I jumped on that so fast.

One handed usage on the Plus is not that bad with the Apple Leather case. I've found a comfortable way to hook my finger on the bottom of the case and balance the whole thing in my hand quite securely.

sruckus

Yeah I'm purposely avoiding the apps that haven't been updated. I really don't like the way they look blown up

Yeah, I'm slumming it with the official Twitter app. Well partly due to the resolution, but also because Tweetbot is refusing to work on my 6 after restoring to it. Says it is damaged when it tries to request a token and to re-download. Except I did...and revoked permissions on Twitter's side as recommended by Tapbots. Pretty ridiculous.

jts

...hate me...
Updated apps or not, is this the death of pixel perfect?

Developers nowadays have to consider theoretically 6 different resolutions at 6 different screen sizes. Yikes.

I've not been reading about this at all. But it's a damn increased workload for the devs. Apple seems to be finally embracing scaling in iOS and I'm not sure I'm happy about it ;_;

Anyone got a good read up for me?

DOWN

Banned

Developers nowadays have to consider theoretically 6 different resolutions at 6 different screen sizes. Yikes.

I've not been reading about this at all. But it's a damn increased workload for the devs. Apple seems to be finally embracing scaling in iOS and I'm not sure I'm happy about it ;_;

Isn't it just 4 resolutions? 4/4S, 5/5S, 6, 6+? (EDIT: 4) (Pretty sure nobody supports the phones Apple doesn't support and obviously iPad is a different platform entirely so resolution isn't really the issue there). And there's hardly trouble in it between 5-6 since its all the same ratio.

This is nothing compared to Android and the wild variations in performance that phones of even very close specs can handle. That market is a fragmented glob.

Where do you get 6 from? 3 isn't bad

sruckus

We're giving up pixel perfect on the web and the world didn't end. I get it, but we need to move forward.

It's not possible/easy for pixel perfect for the 6+ due to the downscaling. No even or easily divisible numbers for that scale factor. Tweetbot dev was complaining about it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Setting up my 6 right now

this thing is drop dead fuck gorgeous. jesus christ, I almost dont want to use it lol

jts

...hate me...
Isn't it just 4 resolutions? 4/4S, 5/5S, 6, 6+? (EDIT: 4) (Pretty sure nobody supports the phones Apple doesn't support and obviously iPad is a different platform entirely so resolution isn't really the issue there). And there's hardly trouble in it between 5-6 since its all the same ratio.

This is nothing compared to Android and the wild variations in performance that phones of even very close specs can handle. That market is a fragmented glob.

Where do you get 6 from? 3 isn't bad

I was including the iPad because there's a lot of universal app development. But maybe now there will be some more independence though.

The ratios are nice and uniform (bare the 4s which should be entering its last year) but that's only useful if you don't optimize your content.

But in all honesty I'm more curious to watch this develop than actually worried.

Not really. Most devs usually consider universal apps just so that they can merge as many things and hit as many audience. So even if you support iOS8 only, you get:
960x640 (4S)
1024x768 (iPad2/Mini)*
1136x640 (5/5C/5S)
2048x1536 (iPad3/4/Air/MiniRetina)*
750x1334 (4.7 6)
1242x2208 -> 1080x1920 (5.5 6+)

So technically 6.

Let's suppose you do ignore iPads for the sake of argument, just because of the scaling of the device and the resolution changes, your anchor points for your assets (which you may be doing if you're dealing with games) just blew up in the number of variations. with the 5, you can think of it as a widescreen feature, one of your axis is still held intact; now, you suddenly blow out two more variations, and many existing middleware/frameworks were never meant to deal with it without some retooling.

*Sidebar: The minis actually throws up an even more interesting problem. On paper, the Mini retina and the Air shares the same pixel density, but because of the size of the device, you may actually change the UI element so that it maintains a usable size in real life. Many games actually detect for mini iPads and target a different set of assets entirely, which can increase your variation to 8.

Nowhere close to the android fragmentation, but it's something that many small teams may not be prepared for.

Edit: In theory, yes, just for the 6+ alone, pixel perfect is dead: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25755443/iphone-6-plus-resolution-confusion-xcode-or-apples-website-for-development
The launch images for the iPhone 6+ must be 1242x2208 and 2208x1242.

HUELEN10

Not really. Most devs usually consider universal apps just so that they can merge as many things and hit as many audience. So even if you support iOS8 only, you get:
960x640 (4S)
1024x768 (iPad2/Mini)*
1136x640 (5/5C/5S)
2048x1536 (iPad3/4/Air/MiniRetina)*
750x1334 (4.7 6)
1242x2208 -> 1080x1920 (5.5 6+)

So technically 6.

Let's suppose you do ignore iPads for the sake of argument, just because of the scaling of the device and the resolution changes, your anchor points for your assets (which you may be doing if you're dealing with games) just blew up in the number of variations. with the 5, you can think of it as a widescreen feature, one of your axis is still held intact; now, you suddenly blow out two more variations, and many existing middleware/frameworks were never meant to deal with it without some retooling.

*Sidebar: The minis actually throws up an even more interesting problem. On paper, the Mini retina and the Air shares the same pixel density, but because of the size of the device, you may actually change the UI element so that it maintains a usable size in real life. Many games actually detect for mini iPads and target a different set of assets entirely, which can increase your variation to 8.

Nowhere close to the android fragmentation, but it's something that many small teams may not be prepared for.
I know it is making my life harder; seriously considering dumping universal appy-ness and going just iPod Touch/iPhone for my current project.

I know it is making my life harder; seriously considering dumping universal appy-ness and going just iPod Touch/iPhone for my current project.
It really depends on how much of Core you're still using, and how much control you want over the entire user experience. Gut feeling tells me that by the time you reformat everything to deal with supporting these new resolutions correctly, you're almost there in getting an iPad app up and running. For example, 6+'s additional side view is basically implementing the Splitpane view.

Dead

well not really...yet
The way your thumb just glides over the slight curve of the screen feels so wonderful. Perfect marriage of feel + OS gesture

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My 6 plus translucent case arrived today. I thought it would come after i got my phone, but nope >< Still waiting!

At least I'll have it ready for when it does arrive. I don't even want one day of use with my phone exposed to the elements. ;)

Juice

Apple's AutoLayout API makes it easy to manage. If you still want pixel perfect you can but it'd be very expensive.

Bacon

The way your thumb just glides over the slight curve of the screen feels so wonderful. Perfect marriage of feel + OS gesture

Yup you really need to use it to truly experience it. Photos do not do this phone justice.

Gives me hope that the apple watch will prove to be a lot nicer in person.

Corgi

Banned
I need a beast of a case for my future iphone 6 plus. I'll be taking it with me hunting and fishing so it needs big time protection. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm leaning towards this one right now: http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Full-b...plus+lifeproof

I'm just surprised it costs so little. The last case I bought for my iphone 4 was a lifeproof case that cost me like 60 bucks.

my advice is daily cases, go cheap, but for waterproof /impact/super cases, i'd go with someone reputable even if its a bit pricy because otherwise whats the point?

ZeroX03

Banned
I've been watching multiple videos on the 120/240fps slow-mo and I'm pretty sure they're both 480p upscales. Haven't been able to find any definitive evidence, but even in great lighting it isn't as sharp as native would be. Disappointing but not damning.

Rambaldi

The Target in my city got the iPhone 6 on display and I walked up to look at it. Other people showed up behind me immediately and I left without really looking at it or touching it. I hate feeling rushed and I'd actually like to mess with it a bit before just walking away. :( Oh well.

The Target in my city got the iPhone 6 on display and I walked up to look at it. Other people showed up behind me immediately and I left without really looking at it or touching it. I hate feeling rushed and I'd actually like to mess with it a bit before just walking away. :( Oh well.

oh fuck them. they'll wait.

Top Bottom