• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

The Target in my city got the iPhone 6 on display and I walked up to look at it. Other people showed up behind me immediately and I left without really looking at it or touching it. I hate feeling rushed and I'd actually like to mess with it a bit before just walking away. :( Oh well.

There was a 5 person deep line of people just waiting to try the demo at my local Best Buy today.

Anyone gotten a weird bug where your battery usage just shows up as '--' ?

Mine is showing that yet was working a few hrs ago when I checked. Haven't charged or anything since.

Man.. I was having awesome battery life today :(

Pulled off charger today at 8:30am. It is 11:36pm and I've used it maybe about 6+ hours for usage time and it is at 53% still !

iPhone 6 Plus.

DOWN

Banned
I'm surprisingly awkward when I feel like someone is waiting. I'll go back another day.

...or maybe my order could ship soon. That would be nice.

Same. I'm a bit of a socially anxious person. I also work where I have to talk to people and I'm good at talking if I feel like I've got a script and there's a definite company answer to keep the conversation going, but if they start wanting to get personal, I'm stuck feeling awkward and unsure of how to flow with it. I do not want to talk with strangers, and I really don't want to make them wait.

Fury Sense

Got mine today. The thing is too big for me.. but on the other hand, when I picked up my 5S it felt really small. Maybe it'll just take some time. The size and rounded edges make it hard to hold... but I'll remain on team caseless nonetheless.

The huge screen looks really good. It's so clear too.

Still upset about protruding camera lens... will have to take some nice photos to justify it.

RedSwirl

So people agree a proper wallpaper for the 6 Plus should be 2208 x 2208 right? That's to account for Parallax and both home screen orientations.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
What the hell does this mean?:

"Battery life in the 6 Plus is excellent in a way not fully conveyed in our standard test."

So even battery life has a magical "Appleyness" now?

ZeroX03

Banned
So people agree a proper wallpaper for the 6 Plus should be 2208 x 2208 right? That's to account for Parallax and both home screen orientations.

2208 is the rendering resolution of wallpapers, you'd need to go slightly wider by 10-15% to make up for parallax.

What the hell does this mean?:

"Battery life in the 6 Plus is excellent in a way not fully conveyed in our standard test."

So even battery life has a magical "Appleyness" now?

Because there's more to battery tests than just Wi-Fi browsing? They only did the one test, it doesn't particularly show how well the phone does on standby or with other applications. They aren't saying the battery is magic, they're basically admitting they only did one test that doesn't really accurately represent real-life usage of the battery. By most accounts the 6 Plus is a good deal ahead of the competition (sans the Mate 2), but you wouldn't really tell by looking at this:

iPhone-6-charts.014.png

Something does seem to be a bit off/different from Anandtech's testing though. Both are 200nits, Anandtech is showing about 3 hours greater battery life on their 6 Plus test.

Went to the Apple Store today and picked up an unlocked AT&T 64GB Space Grey 4.7" iPhone 6. Then I had to go straight to work and it was sitting in my car teasing me for the next 9 hours or so. Now I am finally home and have been using it for about 15 minutes and already love it, I am coming from a 5S.

I tried to put a glass screen protector on it before I even turned the phone on but that turned out to be a failure, I didn't get it lined up perfectly and since the screen protector doesnt cover the entire face the edge of the protector was actually slightly over the actual viewing area of the screen. So that was pretty much a waste of $10, seemed like a pretty good quality screen protector tho. I think that since the edge of the screen is curved this time around I might go without a screen protector this time. I did get AppleCare so I guess I'm not to worried about it.

At any rate it is pretty amazing how Apple always manages to somehow make the next iPhone make the previous feel so obsolete. After only having used it for 15 min I can't imagine going back to my 5S

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Seeing the GPU hit for the iphone 6 plus kinda saddens me, I hope it's not an issue with any of the games i play, or I anticipate returning the phone for the 6.

Lesson learned, I guess. Never, ever ordering directly from AT&T again. Can't believe I have to wait a month when I ordered at midnight when preorders opened.

Fjordson

I think I'm going to go for the 64 GB model this time. Never gone above 16 GB before, but that's too small for me. Mostly because I like to keep a decent amount of music on my phone.

Of course in a perfect world Apple would just make 32 GB the baseline for storage, but oh well.

Arlen777

Went to the Apple Store today and picked up an unlocked AT&T 64GB Space Grey 4.7" iPhone 6. Then I had to go straight to work and it was sitting in my car teasing me for the next 9 hours or so. Now I am finally home and have been using it for about 15 minutes and already love it, I am coming from a 5S.

Unlocked from AT&T??? How is that?? Is my Iphone 6 att unlocked as well?

MRSA

Banned

Apparently if you buy full retail from Apple, the phones come unlocked. Previously it was just Verizon (by law) and T-Mobile (contract free) that came unlocked from Apple.

If you buy any iPhone from the apple store as "device only" without activation they come unlocked, of course this also means you have to pay the full retail price, but I have decided this way is better for me. I'd rather pay full price for the phone and have a cheap monthly phone bill, in my case I get unlimited voice/text/data on at&t's network for $45/month after tax

Arlen777

Apparently if you buy full retail from Apple, the phones come unlocked. Previously it was just Verizon (by law) and T-Mobile (contract free) that came unlocked from Apple.

If you buy any iPhone from the apple store as "device only" without activation they come unlocked, of course this also means you have to pay the full retail price, but I have decided this way is better for me. I'd rather pay full price for the phone and have a cheap monthly phone bill, in my case I get unlimited voice/text/data on at&t's network for $45/month after tax

Nice, thanks for clarification guys, because i am traveling back to my country in week and need shit load of iphones as presents for my family, and went to every single applestore in my area to find Tmobile phones, with no luck, i guess i ll go tomorrow and get ATT phones then

Ninja Dom

That's exactly the way I've gone this year (UK). Managed to get a 12 month Sim Only deal from O2 network here. £30 a month for Unlimited calls & texts and 8GB Data (4G). Plus £120 cash back. Makes the contract the equivalent of £20 a month.

Then I bought the 6 outright. So a big upfront cost of £699 for the iPhone 6, but then ongoing costs of £20 a month.

CodeNfX

If I were to buy online, the only option is T-Mobile contract free. Will that work for AT&T as well? I'm not quite sure how this works. After obtaining the phone, do I go to AT&T store and ask for a sim? I currently have a data plan. I was planning to wait until Apple sell unlocked iPhone but if this is the case that would be awesome.

MRSA

Banned
If I were to buy online, the only option is T-Mobile contract free. Will that work for AT&T as well? I'm not quite sure how this works. After obtaining the phone, do I go to AT&T store and ask for a sim? I currently have a data plan. I was planning to wait until Apple sell unlocked iPhone but if this is the case that would be awesome.

I purchased the T-Mobile iPhone 6 from Apple and did as you said, went to AT&T and asked for a sim and everything went smoothly. I just switched to T-Mobile on Saturday and loving that I'm saving $40 a month with no noticable drop in service quality.

DOWN

Banned
Just passed on a 64GB 6+ in silver/white. My willpower is too strong. Gotta have that 128GB.

May I ask what could fill it to 128GB? I feel like I've got pretty much all the major services and retailer apps I need, a couple thousand songs, and several hundred photos, and I still have about 40GB left on my 64GB...

What on iOS puts you in need for 128GB on your phone?

NekoFever

That's exactly the way I've gone this year (UK). Managed to get a 12 month Sim Only deal from O2 network here. £30 a month for Unlimited calls & texts and 8GB Data (4G). Plus £120 cash back. Makes the contract the equivalent of £20 a month.

Then I bought the 6 outright. So a big upfront cost of £699 for the iPhone 6, but then ongoing costs of £20 a month.

Yep, I'm done with contracts. I bought the phone outright (£619) and pay £11/month for my SIM-only service. I pay less over two years, I can switch if someone has a better deal, and if I want to upgrade next year I have an unlocked phone that's worth more money when I sell it.

ZeroX03

Banned
May I ask what could fill it to 128GB? I feel like I've got pretty much all the major services and retailer apps I need, a couple thousand songs, and several hundred photos, and I still have about 40GB left on my 64GB...

I need my Blu-Rays ripped at 1080p on a 6+.

I don't need it, I just want it

sirap

Photos, video footage, movies, tv shows, comics. Plenty of shit that will easily fill 128gbs.

DOWN

Banned
I need my Blu-Rays ripped at 1080p on a 6+.

I don't need it, I just want it

Oh, I consider myself of high standards like that too. To the point where I'm not going to watch a Blu-Ray on a handheld screen. Or any movie I care enough about to buy Blu-Rays for, for that matter.

Streaming services or bust when it comes to the rather mild experience of watching movies on a handheld device.

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh, I consider myself of high standards like that too. To the point where I'm not going to watch a Blu-Ray on a handheld screen. Or any movie I care enough about to buy Blu-Rays for, for that matter.

Streaming services or bust when it comes to the rather mild experience of watching movies on a handheld device.

I was actually talking about TV shows more than movies. But I will have a few movies I'll keep on there to watch memorable scenes from when bored.

We don't have that many streaming services here, or affordable data plans so streaming isn't a very good option. So space is pretty precious for video.

EDIT: I just checked and I actually have Inception available for streaming for some reason! I think it came as a free digital copy with my Blu Ray.

Koyuga

Cancelled my order from the online Apple store, because the Apple store near me got some new phones in stock! Re-ordered a 16gb Silver iPhone 6 Plus for pickup this morning. :)
I don't think I'm gonna be able to sleep!

SleazyC

Lossless Music.

jetsetrez

Man, I'm really surprised by how almost none of my apps have updated to native resolution to fix the blurry scaling. I thought this was supposed to be a relatively negligible amount of work? The guy who makes Reeder better not come out with a Reeder 3 and make people pay for it a third time to get proper 6/6+ resolution.

Also, I kind of wish I went with white. It's still a wonderful device, but is it just me, or does the home button ring on the black 6 not really shine like the 5S or white/gold 6?

jts

...hate me...
Same, brehs.

I have until Friday to decide.

Or decide not to upgrade at all.

The only things certain are, if I get it, weather 6 or 6+, it's going to be 64GB Space Grey.

Ninja Dom

I got the 128GB. And I have around a 45 to 60 minute commute to work. So I like to have films and TV series on my iPhone to watch, all my music. Plus all my pics.

On the new 6 I've put about 64GB of content on it already. And I'll leave the remaining free space (about 55GB) for any new pictures and videos and content I take over the course of using the iPhone 6.

Ayumi

Got my iPhone 6 today! It sure is gorgeous.

I got the silver one (white front/silver back) 64 GB. Super pretty. :3

It's certainly weird upgrading from 4S to 6, with regards to the size. But the size is far more doable than I thought! I still need to hold it with two hands though.. haha. Can't imagine what the iPad Nano, err, iPhone 6+ would've been like (probably great - but I prefer smaller phones).

DOWN

Banned
Having received my 6 yesterday, I am glad I didn't go biggger.
I keep trying to type one-handed on the 6 4.7" and it slips in my Pam and scares me that it might fall because I'm too lazy to use the other hand, so yeah, 6+ would have been overkill for me.

Right I've decided. Just ran down to the local phone store on my lunch break. The 6+ is too big. Would be amazing to watch things on it but most of my day is spent on the go in between meetings/places. It'll be far too cumbersome to use in those situations.

6 it is. Down do a week for dispatch in the UK now so I'm pulling the trigger. 64GB space grey.

Top Bottom