• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

alterego

Right I've decided. Just ran down to the local phone store on my lunch break. The 6+ is too big. Would be amazing to watch things on it but most of my day is spent on the go in between meetings/places. It'll be far too cumbersome to use in those situations.

6 it is. Down do a week for dispatch in the UK now so I'm pulling the trigger. 64GB space grey.

Where are you located?

There's stock in Regents Street for pickup today.

https://reserve.cdn-apple.com/GB/en_GB/reserve/iPhone/availability

Love that people are talkin 7 already.

Especially when its going to be called the iPhone X. Theyll probably be looking to start a new design language and update all hardware come 2016. So it wont be as minimal a design change as the 5 to the 6 since it will also be time for a Mac and iPad hardware design change.

Also it will be the 10th phone and iOS 10. A mature and defining point for a platform that is slowly becoming the replacement for OS X.

What better way than launching iOS X and iPhone X.

Remember this in 2 years.

your Apple silicon or Leather case will not save your Phone from a fall...
sXBYCuk.jpg

As much as I want the leather case from apple, this is why I won't buy it, doesn't even protect the damn thing

anyone have a good matte-like screen protector for the 6+ that they'd recommend? I'm leaving the factory plastic on the screen in the meantime because i don't want to scratch that gorgeous screen.

sirap

^ This is why I'm a big believer in Spigen cases. Been using them for months, and the air cushion corners have saved my phones quite a number of times.

Also, make the switch to glass protectors.

muteki

After using 6+ for a few days:

-The size is not bothering me. At all. I don't have the largest of hands and coming from a 5 it was quite a leap but I am really enjoying the real estate of the larger screen.
-I really need to get a case. I might just go out and buy whatever I can find at a best buy for cheap because I am scared to death carrying this around without anything protecting it. It's so thin it seems more delicate than it probably is.
-Reachability is nice but I wish it didn't pop back up automatically, or stayed reduced a while longer.
-It is really nice watching TV shows on the phone with no black bars on top or sides. Perfect fit.
-Netflix, Google, others really need to get on the ball and update their shit.
-Power button on the right is the best thing ever, for most use cases. But I need to be a bit more careful when taking pictures as it is easy to hit when pressing shutter switch.

jts

...hate me...
As much as I want the leather case from apple, this is why I won't buy it, doesn't even protect the damn thing

Doesn't protect from everything, yes.

I've owned an iPhone for 5+ years now, never broke a display or anything else really. Half the time naked, half the time with a soft protection.

-The size is not bothering me. At all. I don't have the largest of hands and coming from a 5 it was quite a leap but I am really enjoying the real estate of the larger screen.
-I really need to get a case. I might just go out and buy whatever I can find at a best buy for cheap because I am scared to death carrying this around without anything protecting it. It's so thin it seems more delicate than it probably is.
-Reachability is nice but I wish it didn't pop back up automatically, or stayed reduced a while longer.
-It is really nice watching TV shows on the phone with no black bars on top or sides. Perfect fit.
-Netflix, Google, others really need to get on the ball and update their shit.
-Power button on the right is the best thing ever, for most use cases. But I need to be a bit more careful when taking pictures as it is easy to hit when pressing shutter switch.

The Apple Leather Case feels more than adequate for protection. I actually regret getting Apple Care. The phone doesn't feel nearly as fragile as I was expecting.

muteki

The Apple Leather Case feels more than adequate for protection. I actually regret getting Apple Care. The phone doesn't feel nearly as fragile as I was expecting.
Since my Spigen case fell through, I went back and got an order for an incipio in since that is what I had on my 5 and loved it, but the order isn't scheduled to ship for a week and I don't think I can wait that long. I just need something to cover the back up with a lip around the edge of the front so I can put the phone down on a surface and not worry about the screen or camera.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I think I need to get a different case. This Spigen has no grip at all and I've nearly dropped my phone a few times already. It won't last long at this rate.

BSsBrolly

Banned
The more time I have with the iPhone 6, the more I appreciate it. It's the perfect size. I hope they keep the form factor of this phone in the future. Maybe reduce the bezel and increase the screen size but keep the phone itself the same size.

Doesn't protect from everything, yes.

I've owned an iPhone for 5+ years now, never broke a display or anything else really. Half the time naked, half the time with a soft protection.

The case is barely raised from the screen so any face down drop will damage the screen, a case should have a raised border around the screen to protect it from a face down drop

Got a 6 Plus at Eaton Centre Toronto!!!

Had a big argument with my carrier while I waited in line. They wouldn't cancel my order for 48 hours so I wouldn't be able to do the HUP. Fuck it, I just ended up buying the phone outright. I have been wanting to get out of contract shit for a while.

It's beautiful.

Just sold my old iPhone 5S through Orchard for around $480.

Damn! That's quite a ton of money. What size is it and is it factory unlocked?

my advice is daily cases, go cheap, but for waterproof /impact/super cases, i'd go with someone reputable even if its a bit pricy because otherwise whats the point?

Yea I definitely don't mind spending money for a good case. Besides Otterbox and Lifeproof, what other good brand names should I be looking at?

Just completed my third battery cycle on the 6 and yeah... This thing gets worse battery life than my 5. I've never gotten 10 hours off of a full charge like my 5. I'm always hovering around 8 hours by the time my battery hits 0. Disappointing, but the increased screen real estate makes up for it

badb0y

Just completed my third battery cycle on the 6 and yeah... This thing gets worse battery life than my 5. I've never gotten 10 hours off of a full charge like my 5. I'm always hovering around 8 hours by the time my battery hits 0. Disappointing, but the increased screen real estate makes up for it
Maybe your phone is defective? Anandtech says iPhone 6 getting better battery life than iPhone 5.
http://anandtech.com/show/8559/iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-preliminary-results

Weird, i've been texting a few times and podcasting on my 6+ for about 2 hours and still at 100%. coming off an iphone 5 with a jacked battery, this is night and day. I would be at 85-80% on the 5, but that number wasn't ever true because once my phone fell around 30% it was a roll of the dice whether it would stay on or just shut itself down.

Weird, i've been texting a few times and podcasting on my 6+ for about 2 hours and still at 100%. coming off an iphone 5 with a jacked battery, this is night and day. I would be at 85-80% on the 5, but that number wasn't ever true because once my phone fell around 30% it was a roll of the dice whether it would stay on or just shut itself down.

My 6+ battery is down to 90% and all I have been doing is web browsing. About 4 hours of use. Doesn't seem any different than the 5s so far.

TheContact

Fuck I hate this shit. Worst part about my s4

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can someone check if their phone has any light leaks. Just use one of the black background wallpapers with flowers and look at the edges in a darker room. My 6 has it at the bottom, but I know this is a relatively common issue on IPS LCDs so I'm wondering if it's too common should I even bother replacing it.

I'm still undecided if I want to keep the plus or downgrade to the 6. The 6 to me feels so much better in the hand but I kike the extra battery life and some of the software differences that the plus affords. Ah..decisions decisions

HGStormy

Banned
Same. I'm a bit of a socially anxious person. I also work where I have to talk to people and I'm good at talking if I feel like I've got a script and there's a definite company answer to keep the conversation going, but if they start wanting to get personal, I'm stuck feeling awkward and unsure of how to flow with it. I do not want to talk with strangers, and I really don't want to make them wait.
Same. Thank god for online shopping.

MicH

Woohoo! Just got an e-mail from my carrier telling me that I will be getting my iPhone 6 (64GB, Space Grey) when it launches this Friday (Denmark). Great news!

Ninja Dom

I seem to be having an odd problem with my 6. The screen rotates round the wrong way. Also right now I'm in landscape mode on Safari and can't get back to portrate. The screen rotation lock is off. And also some of my pics are mirrored.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
My 6+ battery is down to 90% and all I have been doing is web browsing. About 4 hours of use. Doesn't seem any different than the 5s so far.
four hours of non-stop use? Umm... I won't/can't comment how that stacks up for the Plus, but no way would the 5s be only at 90% after 4 hours of constant use. More like 50-60%.

Enfinit

I seem to be having an odd problem with my 6. The screen rotates round the wrong way. Also right now I'm in landscape mode on Safari and can't get back to portrate. The screen rotation lock is off. And also some of my pics are mirrored.
Have you tried hard resetting the device? Could just be some bugs with iOS 8.

I currently use the leather case, and it gets the job done. I've dropped it accidentally from ear-height twice so far, and the case has kept the phone in immaculate condition.

The photo that you quoted, it looks like that was a drop directly on to the phone's face. It's hard to protect a drop like that, and that's where cases like LifeProof and OtterBox come in handy. However, the Apple leather cases aren't necessarily designed to protect the phone in situations like these; it's just to protect from the daily environment and daily activity.

I consider myself a somewhat smart consumer, and I assumed this before I bought the case. I've had an iPhone since the 3GS, and I've never managed to shatter a screen on a face-first drop. That's just my luck though. If you're expecting the Apple leather case to protect your phone from something like this, that's a little unrealistic. The leather case protects the phone just fine for its intended purposes.

Maybe your phone is defective? Anandtech says iPhone 6 getting better battery life than iPhone 5.
http://anandtech.com/show/8559/iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-preliminary-results

Nah I'm using the 6, not the plus and I'm aware of Apple's claims and Anand's tests. It's weird but I doubt my phone is defective. I've felt like I've always gotten worse battery life than what's claimed or the "norm" since the iPhone 4 though. I'll just keep discharging and recharging and keep an eye on it, but so far, I'm not impressed cause I'm just browsing most of the time and cellular is off, fetch is set to manual, I've looked at most of the backgrounded apps and set that to Amazon music, Downcast and icab, and I've disabled most of spotlight outside of music, notes and mail.

four hours of non-stop use? Umm... I won't/can't comment how that stacks up for the Plus, but no way would the 5s be only at 90% after 4 hours of constant use. More like 50-60%.

Sorry. Not 4 in a row. Maybe about 3 not in use and 1 hour browsing on my 6+.

borghe

Nah I'm using the 6, not the plus and I'm aware of Apple's claims and Anand's tests. It's weird but I doubt my phone is defective. I've felt like I've always gotten worse battery life than what's claimed or the "norm" since the iPhone 4 though. I'll just keep discharging and recharging and keep an eye on it, but so far, I'm not impressed cause I'm just browsing most of the time and cellular is off, fetch is set to manual, I've looked at most of the backgrounded apps and set that to Amazon music, Downcast and icab, and I've disabled most of spotlight outside of music, notes and mail.

can't speak to those apps, but maybe turn some/all of those off in the background just as a test also... I know setting Facebook to background status is pretty brutal on battery life..

also the numbers apple gave put the 6 at "slightly" ahead of the 5s in battery life.. IMHO that was not a cautious statement. The reality for me so far has been about on par with my launch 5s when I bought it. About the biggest difference I am noticing presently is that I suffer from low signal at work... that would plow through my 5s battery as of last week like 80% or worse by mid-morning... currently my 6 is at 96%.

but yeah, actual usage the 6 is "very slightly" better than the 5s and that's about it. enough to notice it but nowhere near enough to even make an impression on you. Still, for the added performance (substantial) and better LARGER screen, that's still pretty damn nice.

People are bending their 6 Pluses, what.

bent_iphone_6_plus.jpg

I see and the first thing I think is "god damn idiots...". The second thing I think is "well here it goes.. 'apple's phones have a serious flaw.'"
Sorry. Not 4 in a row. Maybe about 3 not in use and 1 hour browsing on my 6+.

tough to say... battery life on phones these days is a god damn science... where are your brightness settings? LTE or wifi? what is your signal strength over LTE/3G? What apps do you have installed? What apps are running in the background, etc. The problem with these battery tests is that while they are done in a controlled environment and can be used to decently do A:B comparisons, they really don't go a long way to giving you "typical" performance simply because typical doesn't exist. ESPECIALLY in iOS where iPhone 6 Plus might come configured this way, but you are using an iOS8 restore that was first configured on iPhone OS 3 on an iPhone 3GS (in my case). So who knows what settings were changed where over the years as opposed to a stock out of the box 6 Plus?

Some suggestions:

Turn off auto-brightness and keep the brightness set to a level that is as low as it can go while still being viewable.

Turn off ALL background apps except for the apps you absolutely need/want background refresh on

turn off location services on all apps except for those you absolutely need/want them on. For the most part I leave it running for all system services, but if you're so inclined go into there and start disabling it there also.

turn off push email and set it to fetch and like every 30 minutes or more.

borghe

right now macrumors has 4 users who have bent iPhones since launch

1. Who bent it while it was in his pocket for 18 hours
2. bent right out of the box
3. Bent after colliding with a person
4. Bent while in pocket at work.

1 and 4 are the idiots I am talking about.

2 and 3 I won't comment on, but to say they're questionable goes without saying.

can't speak to those apps, but maybe turn some/all of those off in the background just as a test also... I know setting Facebook to background status is pretty brutal on battery life..

also the numbers apple gave put the 6 at "slightly" ahead of the 5s in battery life.. IMHO that was not a cautious statement. The reality for me so far has been about on par with my launch 5s when I bought it. About the biggest difference I am noticing presently is that I suffer from low signal at work... that would plow through my 5s battery as of last week like 80% or worse by mid-morning... currently my 6 is at 96%.

but yeah, actual usage the 6 is "very slightly" better than the 5s and that's about it. enough to notice it but nowhere near enough to even make an impression on you. Still, for the added performance (substantial) and better LARGER screen, that's still pretty damn nice.

Yeah I noticed that Apple claimed maybe 10% better battery life than the 5, which isn't bad at all. They've always striven to maintain parity even when their processors and screens make great leaps. This is the first time they've actually claimed better life tho, as previous iterations always mentioned something akin to 10 hrs wifi browsing, 10 hours video and 40 hours music. I usually leave the brightness on my 5 at around 30% and turn off auto bright. Since the 6 claimed better battery life I've left brightness at about 40% and turned off auto bright so I could enjoy a brighter screen and not feel any impact to battery life. All of my other settings are otherwise unchanged from the 5.

I don't know whether it's an iOS 8 issue or not or maybe icab or some other apps just aren't optimized for the OS and are therefore draining more than they ought to. I've noticed that icab can't maintain pages in memory for shit on the iPhone 6. I can have like 4 tabs open and it'll either sporadically crash or reload pages and that's just awful coming from the 5. At this point I'm suspecting it's an icab issue but I really don't like safari, so I'll have to wait for the developer to update it to find out

badb0y

right now macrumors has 4 users who have bent iPhones since launch

1. Who bent it while it was in his pocket for 18 hours
2. bent right out of the box
3. Bent after colliding with a person
4. Bent while in pocket at work.
I am 260 lbs and I slept on my plus last night and it's not bent which leads me to believe these guys banged the phone in some way. No way the phone bends just like that.

Top Bottom