• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

MicH

I read a thread on MacRumors (I know) yesterday about a guy who almost got his 6 Plus stolen. How? Because he kept it in the back pocket of his jeans while on a packed bus. I... I don't even know what to think. Why would you keep it in the back pocket in a large crowd?!

Nah I'm using the 6, not the plus and I'm aware of Apple's claims and Anand's tests. It's weird but I doubt my phone is defective. I've felt like I've always gotten worse battery life than what's claimed or the "norm" since the iPhone 4 though. I'll just keep discharging and recharging and keep an eye on it, but so far, I'm not impressed cause I'm just browsing most of the time and cellular is off, fetch is set to manual, I've looked at most of the backgrounded apps and set that to Amazon music, Downcast and icab, and I've disabled most of spotlight outside of music, notes and mail.

That sounds odd if cellular was off. Mine died yesterday after 7 hours 22 minutes of use, which included a bit of camera use & a couple of train journeys through areas with fluctuating signal. Nothing but Bluetooth disabled, push email on & 1 day 12 hours of standby (not seeing a charger at all in that time). I don't think it's a dramatic improvement, but yours is abnormally poor.

dc89

A phone should not bend whilst it is in a pocket. If it's in a back pocket and you sit on it, well fair enough. But come on, it should not bend in somebody's side pocket.

They all appear to be bending at the sim tray too, where the phone will be structurally at it's weakest.

A phone should not bend whilst it is in a pocket. If it's in a back pocket and you sit on it, well fair enough. But come on, it should not bend in somebody's side pocket.

They all appear to be bending at the sim tray too, where the phone will be structurally at it's weakest.

they all...you mean 2 out of 4. the others were bent near the edges.

Sapiens

I read a thread on MacRumors (I know) yesterday about a guy who almost got his 6 Plus stolen. How? Because he kept it in the back pocket of his jeans while on a packed bus. I... I don't even know what to think. Why would you keep it in the back pocket in a large crowd?!

Plus, if you have a plump round rump, it's going to bend that aluminum.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
What makes 1 and 4 idiots?

A phone that's not supposed to be in a pocket, well, that's kinda... bad.

huh? wut!? If you sit on something not designed to be sat on, bad shit will happen.

anyone claiming bending from anywhere but their back pocket... fuck it.. I'm just going to outright call them a fibber. Why mix words? They can "insist" otherwise, but frankly I see so (too) many people these days with their phones in their back pockets that it's just too common to believe is wasn't the likely scenario.

i guess i could see it bending in your pocket if it's laying horizontally on your thigh when sitting and your pants are exerting force on the side.

but then i gotta ask why you're wearing JNCOs

Really wishing Hearthstone was on iPhone now that I have such a big screen.

6+ is definitely the best gaming phone apple has released. Screen makes touch onscreen buttons tolerable. Tried out chinatown wars and it didn't play like butt.

borghe

Really wishing Hearthstone was on iPhone now that I have such a big screen.

problem is it wouldn't have the ipad UI as it would need to work on the 4" (and frankly 4.7") screens also. i.e. it wouldn't just be the iPad version scaled 1:1 to a phone size.

dc89

anyone claiming bending from anywhere but their back pocket... fuck it.. I'm just going to outright call them a fibber. Why mix words? They can "insist" otherwise, but frankly I see so (too) many people these days with their phones in their back pockets that it's just too common to believe is wasn't the likely scenario.

I'm right with you if indeed they've had it in their back pocket! I have never carried any phone in a back pocket, I don't understand why people do that :lol

huh? wut!? If you sit on something not designed to be sat on, bad shit will happen.

The first person says he had it in his front pocket. I see no reason not to believe him.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

it was the front pocket

ZeroX03

Banned
problem is it wouldn't have the ipad UI as it would need to work on the 4" (and frankly 4.7") screens also. i.e. it wouldn't just be the iPad version scaled 1:1 to a phone size.

It could still have the iPad UI on the 6 Plus, it can differentiate between the models in-app. But they would still have to support the smaller screen phones in the iPhone app, so until that's finished the 6 Plus won't see anything.

in a later post he moved the phone from the top of his pocket because he feared it would fall out of his pocket and wedged it between his thighs and his pant. I think that might be where it got bent trying to squeeze it between the thighs and pant so it's secure

My phone just sort of slides between my outer leg and pants. Can't be helped. A cellphone needs to be able to exist in the front pocket without bending.

borghe

The first person says he had it in his front pocket. I see no reason not to believe him.

"suit pants" would be my first inclination that something is up with his story. any sort of dress pants (suit or khakis) are (well fitting) loose enough that there should never be pressure anywhere on the phone.

So clearly there was pressure, enough of it and over long enough, to bend the phone... so if it was in his front pocket in his suit pants, where did this pressure come from?

The other red flag is a bend in clearly one specific spot, instead of an arch (IMHO). so even say it were in his front pocket, and there was pressure there from somewhere, it was pressure that was primarily or only on that one spot?

Sorry... but there's a whole lot there that just doesn't line up.

in a later post he moved the phone from the top of his pocket because he feared it would fall out of his pocket and wedged it between his thighs and his pant. I think that might be where it got bent trying to squeeze it between the thighs and pant so it's secure

ya... reading that it honestly sounds like he sat on it.. i.e. "sat on it" with his thigh, or close enough to it.

Samus4145

Just ordered my upgrade phone, went with the iPhone 6 Space Gray. Will be my first iPhone device. Before the Lumia, I only used Android phones.

Aske

Still on the fence in regard to the 6 vs the 6 Plus. Questions for Plus owners!

The iPad Mini is surprisingly good for reading comics full screen in portrait. How is the Plus for comic reading? I'll go 128GB if the resolution combined with the screen size is a decent way to read comics.

I imagine the Plus has a larger speaker, or at least its acoustics will differ due to the larger casing. Any reports on whether or not it's noticably superior to that of the 6? I know both are hugely improved over previous iPhones.

Haven't had a chance to see either phone in person yet. Hopefully today. I was set on the 6, but the Plus has the battery life; and if buying it will remove most of my desire to pick up a new iPad I'll adjust to the added bulk. Still on my gen 1 iPad - the final iOS update rendered it useless for anything but ebooks and comics, but I use my phone for everything else. I'd love it if the Plus felt like an all-in-one solution. Looks beyond perfect for ebooks.

Also, those in need of a really tough case should check out Lunatik's stuff. I rocked their Taktik for most of my 4S's life, and it went from being something I babied to a device I could really beat on. Water resistant, dustproof, and you could drive a tank over it without damaging your phone. I'll probably go with something slimmer this time around, but my 4S is still in flawless condition for maximum resale value; and though bulky, the Taktik was a pleasure to use. Lunatik's quality blows Otterbox and Lifeproof out of the water if you're after premium protection.

Sometimes. The iPad having them was great because your hand holding the device did not block the content. I just don't want an even bigger phone, I'd rather have the phone with the same sized screen made smaller by thinner bezels.
Maybe you should actually read the post you responded to then... That's exactly what he asked for. I can't see why you would want a big bezel on a phone, not sure why you brought up an iPad when that wasn't being discussed.

I'm going to try and test a comic in comic zeal in the next couple of days. Comixology does that enhanced view so it isn't really an issue on a phone.

Got mine! Black leather case, the only way.

Set up later on tonight. Next month should be fun before I just revert back to standard use :lol

OmegaFax

Best way to get an iPhone 6? I want to take advantage of AT&T's current trade-in promotion because I think I can get the full $200 out of my iPhone 4. Thing is nearly flawless. Any experience or suggestions with doing the trade-in?

Got mine! Black leather case, the only way.

Set up later on tonight. Next month should be fun before I just revert back to standard use :lol

I'm trying to game more on the 6+ since it has such a great screen for it. The device has a lot of console quality games on it as well.

rezuth

0HKFa1N.jpg

How does this happen to people?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Best way to get an iPhone 6? I want to take advantage of AT&T's current trade-in promotion because I think I can get the full $200 out of my iPhone 4. Thing is nearly flawless. Any experience or suggestions with doing the trade-in?

Right now it seems like the best way is to simply pop in nearby Apple stores and carrier stores to see if they got in stock that day. Some people are having luck checking the Apple site for in-store availability and reserving phones that way.

MercuryLS

Banned
Maybe you should actually read the post you responded to then... That's exactly what he asked for. I can't see why you would want a big bezel on a phone, not sure why you brought up an iPad when that wasn't being discussed.

Apple's not going to get rid of the home button/Touch ID and they care about symmetry so the top bezel will always be the same size as the bottom one. They might be able to shave a bit more space off the top and bottom and a bit on the sides, but it won't be much.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So I've had my 6 sitting in a box for the past few days and decided I don't want it. Only got it because I was up for an upgrade but I'm happy with my 5. Is there a procedure I have to do if I want to resell it? I imagine I'll have to take it out and remove the sim card but anything else?

Top Bottom