• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

mrkgoo

Yes, but because T-Mobile has started shaking things up over here, I believe most carriers are beginning to offer cheaper off-contract plans that do not subsidize the devices.

They keep paying the same high rate for no good reason.

This is how no-contract plans like the one T-Mobile offers work. They offer no phone subsidy, but their service is cheaper in general. They do offer 24-month payment plans for the device at not added cost or interest charges. Once you pay it off, your monthly payment obviously becomes cheaper. This is really how it needs to work. Contract plans are just plain robbery.

Right, so why is it a waste of money to renew the contract and get a free phone out of it if he plans on staying on that plan anyway and would otherwise be paying the same amount?

hitsugi

I went to T-Mobile Friday and had my name put on the list and my two iPhone 6's are out for delivery today. Weird that some say 6 week waits

Perhaps it is only for the 6+.. T-Mobile says 4-6 weeks for the regular 6, though.. whereas Apple Store says 4-7 days for the T-Mobile version. Wonder what the difference is when making that purchase

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Right, so why is it a waste of money to renew the contract and get a free phone out of it if he plans on staying on that plan anyway and would otherwise be paying the same amount?

I was saying that it would be a terrible waste of money to sell the phone and not use it.

He had to have paid a minimum of $200 to have received the device in the first place, since the latest iPhones are never fully subsidized. He's probably paying an average of $30 more per month than a non-contract plan, which comes out to around $700 give or take over two years. He'd have to sell the phone for $900 just to break even, and he'd still be stuck with using the iPhone 5 for an additional two years.

It really only makes sense to use the new device since he's already renewed the contract.

mrkgoo

I was saying that it would be a terrible waste of money to sell the phone and not use it.

He had to have paid a minimum of $200 to have received the device in the first place, since the latest iPhones are never fully subsidized. He's probably paying an average of $30 more per month than a non-contract plan, which comes out to around $700 give or take over two years. He'd have to sell the phone for $900 just to break even, and he'd still be stuck with using the iPhone 5 for an additional two years.

It really only makes sense to use the new device since he's already renewed the contract.

Oh, so people can switch to cheaper non-contract plans?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, so people can switch to cheaper non-contract plans?

Contracts typically last for two years. If your contract is up, you can cancel your service without any additional fees. Some carriers are beginning to offer non-contract plans that don't offer subsidized phones. I guess it really comes down to what's available in your area, though.

Clipse

Does the monthly bill suddenly drop to account by for the lack of a phone subsidy? Or do you hair continue to pay the subsidy whether you get a new phone or not?
My 2 year contract just ended and I'm now paying $10 less a month. I'm on Verizon Wireless.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
How is the glass bending like that without shattering? Is it that flexible now?

most glass is bendable.. windows shuddering and all. Also remember that it's pressed against the aluminum which is also absorbing some of the force of the bent glass.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I hate T-mobile! I'm never making the mistake of ordering from them again.

Preordered as early as possible and yet I'm on "Backorder" status and have received no updates whatsoever. I called customer care and they said not to expect it for minimum 6 weeks, and possibly not until next year. WTF

Cancelled my preorder right then and there. Ridiculous that I still couldn't even check my order status on the website more than 10 days after preorders went up.

I'm having a similiar issue with Verizon.

Bgamer90

Banned
Finally.

ByPkYPPIYAAmYWx.jpg

Wanted to ask the same thing. Are Spigen and Poetic good brands? I've heard good things about the Poetic Nexus 7 cases, but I've also seen people rate "meh" products well because they simply get the job done.

Edit: Okay, I think this one looks good, but would like to see if anyone else has it and can comment on the volume/power button overlay.

Gonna get this case in a couple of days. If you're interested, I can do a little write up of my first impressions and hopefully a day of usage if it gets here by Thursday.

Fox1304

Wanted to ask the same thing. Are Spigen and Poetic good brands? I've heard good things about the Poetic Nexus 7 cases, but I've also seen people rate "meh" products well because they simply get the job done.

Edit: Okay, I think this one looks good, but would like to see if anyone else has it and can comment on the volume/power button overlay.

I've juste received the one pictured. I think it's really nice. Slim, good build quality, some nice details and cut out well.

The buttons are firm but it's nothing unusual. The bumper part is from a really nice material, and the glass part is really discrete and transparent.
I really like it for now.

nikos

I don't buy that people are bending their phones from regular use. Some other type of negligence must be going on.

EDIT: Will have to watch the above posted video later.

MicH

Still can't decide whether I want te Apple silicone or leather case. I've heard good things about both, so I may just have to buy one of each so I can decide - or switch back and forth from time to time if I like both equally

ShowDog

Based on that video, I can totally see it bending in a warm front pocket if you're leaning over a low table or counter and into a sharp edge and putting a lot of strain on one particular part of the device. It's probably less likely to happen if it's in the pocket glass-side out.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I don't buy that people are bending their phones from regular use. Some other type of negligence must be going on.

EDIT: Will have to watch the above posted video later.

Yes. It has to be our fault somehow. Steve died for our sins.

nynt9

Based on that video, I can totally see it bending in a warm front pocket if you're leaning over a low table or counter and into a sharp edge and putting a lot of strain on one particular part of the device. It's probably less likely to happen if it's in the pocket glass-side out.

But then you risk cracking the glass, which happened to me back in the day with my 4.

Number45

So UnboxTherapy did a bending video for the 6+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

I like MKBHD's comment on it, saying how people are making a fuss about the 6+ bending when plastic phones like the Note 3 bend even easier but it's Apple so people need to make it an issue...
And I'm out. I'm not dropping £700 on something that could experience that. Yes I appreciate that's a pretty good amount of pressure (and I think it lays bare the person who said he "lightly bumped into someone") but I'm not risking having that happen.

The 6 can be bent too. It just the 6+ are easier due to bigger size. Just put them into a hard shell case and not have to worry.
How hard are we talking here? A case should protect it from cosmetic and drop damage, not be used to reinforce its structural integrity.

(Note: I really want to be convinced, I want a new phone)

The 6 can be bent too. It just the 6+ are easier due to bigger size. Just put them into a hard shell case and not have to worry.
I've put mine in a hard shell case but it was tough pushing it in and now I'm concerned I might've bent it trying to do that. :-|

Edit: tested it by putting a plastic card on the screen and pushing the four corners of the card to see if it wobbled. It didn't, so I guess I'm good (for now).

DOWN

Banned
What Apple now needs to do with the 7 is reduce the bezel of the 6 and put a 5" in that same size body.

Make the screen on the smaller one even bigger? Oh god no...

There's already an even bigger one for those that want it.
This is a joke post right?
I have no idea what you're talking about. The bezel on the 6 is perfect. The rounded edge really adds a lot to the edge gestures and feels amazing in the your hand.

The bezel on the 6 is perfect. Allows for easy slide gestures and still is plenty thin for a great viewing experience. I frankly am blown away by the screen, especially when I watch videos at night.

I love the 6 bezel. The sides are great for swipes and the top and bottom are great for landscape with the thumbs.

What phone has a bezel that makes the 6 bezel seem like a problem? I guess it's preference but I don't like the asymmetrical Android's that don't have any consideration for how the phone is held.

Fjordson

So UnboxTherapy did a bending video for the 6+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

I like MKBHD's comment on it, saying how people are making a fuss about the 6+ bending when plastic phones like the Note 3 bend even easier but it's Apple so people need to make it an issue...
Oh god, I almost had a panic attack when he started actively bending it :lol

Sucks they have that, though...guess I'll have to keep an eye on mine. I'm sitting at my desk for large parts of the work day, but I'll try to just keep it next to me as opposed to in my pocket.

2010 - Antennagate
2014 - Bendgate
You forgot the dark middle chapter, "Scuffgate".

Toki767

I love the 6 bezel. The sides are great for swipes and the top and bottom are great for landscape with the thumbs.

What phone has a bezel that makes the 6 bezel seem like a problem? I guess it's preference but I don't like the asymmetrical Android's that don't have any consideration for how the phone is held.

Which Android phones are asymmetrical? Or do you mean vertically?

Also I don't think the 6 bezels are horrible, at least not the sides. The top and bottom are sadly still pretty tall for my liking.

Number45

Oh god, I almost had a panic attack when he started actively bending it :lol

Sucks they have that, though...guess I'll have to keep an eye on mine. I'm sitting at my desk for large parts of the work day, but I'll try to just keep it next to me as opposed to in my pocket.

You forgot the dark middle chapter, "Scuffgate".
This is what got me in for the + in the first place, but when it's not on my desk my current phone (4S) sits in my front pocket the vast majority of the time.

ARGH, why! I don't know if I can look past this. >_<

jts

...hate me...
Bendgate is getting to me OMG.

iPhone 6 _\_ iPhone 6 Plus

This is how the scale is tipping.

With OIS and Full HD it would be such a no brainer to get the 6...

Enzom21

From my chat with the rep, nobody knows anything. It is a total cluster fuck.

Yeah, AT&T has been beyond terrible in this. Makes me wonder if I should have just said screw the $200 iPhone 4 trade in and just gotten it through Apple.

It's frustrating hearing people with the same phone configuration but pre-ordered after you have gotten their phone time and time again. Asking the reps why this is happening is frustrating both because you don't get any new information and because they keep reiterating that you'll eventually get the iPhone, which misses the entire point of the inquiry.

It's like waiting in line and seeing people in front of you go, and then when they get to you they start letting people in behind you go. When you ask what is going on, they shrug and tell you that you'll eventually get one too.

You're probably not going to get your phone until at least Oct. 02. Right now it seems AT&T is only shipping out to premier customers. I have seen quite a few people with my exact phone who ordered after me, receive shipping info.

It isn't first come first serve... it is more of a lottery.

AT&T 6+?

so is it pretty much just the 6 plus that is bending, or is there a pretty big outcry with the standard 6 as well? This might be the deciding factor in which model I get...

Fjordson

This is what got me in for the + in the first place, but when it's not on my desk my current phone (4S) sits in my front pocket the vast majority of the time.

ARGH, why! I don't know if I can look past this. >_<
Yeah, I never put my phone in my back pocket, so hopefully I'll be okay with the regular 6.

Top Bottom