• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

comparison in my hands.

i think I will go with 6+

IMG_9962.JPG

Homeboyd

The 6 Plus gets a single additional hour of battery on wi-fi (11 instead of 10) right? Hardly something I find thrilling or a real benefit to the Plus. My iPhone 5 already has a battery life of ~20 hours with a battery case, so it's actually a huge downgrade.
Holy shit. Mine gets like 30 min on a full charge. If I even LOOK at my phone it dies.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
true:

since iPhone 4, iPhones have had a lower resolution and still things looked better than almost all phones.

Since iPhone 3G, Ghz was on the low end than competitors yet the iPhone outperformed when it came to Apps and such.

Since iPhone 4, Cameras Megapixels have gone above and beyond what iPhone offered but apart from Nokia phones, every other phone camera was crushed in comparison.

Since 1984, the Apple Kool Aid has been passed around and drunk heartily among its fans.

Since 1984, the Apple Kool Aid has been passed around and drunk heartily among its fans.

are you denying these that the screen apps looked amazing vs competition, performance was almost always better than competition and camera was above almost all phone companies barring nokia?

KHarvey16

are you denying these that the screen apps looked amazing vs competition, performance was almost always better than competition and camera was above almost all phone companies barring nokia?

"Lol cool aid" is the only answer you ever need to someone that likes something Apple makes. It can't be that they simply have a different opinion, it's that their opinion is based on something dumb and is therefor inferior. Obviously.

Nicktendo86

What do you mean by screen apps looking amazing?

Not sure about your camera claim. The software apple have is good no doubt but I am sure there are many other phones with better cameras.

What do you mean by screen apps looking amazing?

Not sure about your camera claim. The software apple have is good no doubt but I am sure there are many other phones with better cameras.

I mean when you open the app say Weather.com on both an iPhone and a competing device and the competing device has 2x the resolution, that what you see looks better on the higher res if you ignore the screen size?

Smidget

Sorry for reposting, but when do official reviews come out for these phones? Before preorder or release date? Or only afterwards?

Not when it comes to battery life.

Yep. I live on my phone. I work on my phone, emails, apps, work chat, personal chat. I need maximum battery! If the iPhone 6 had the same battery life I'd get that.

But I'm sitting here holding a Galaxy Note 2 and it's big as fuck. But I can deal with it. I'll just need a bluetooth headset to talk. No way am I holding that beast against my head for an hour.

RIght now with my iphone 5 by the time I get to work my phone is at 40%. Sometimes lower. That's with heavy use. But I have a 2 hour one way commute.

The Haterade has been drunk in even larger numbers.

This. It's a fucking phone. Why are there grown ass people that HATE on a phone? I don't understand. I personally don't like Android, but I don't shit up Android threads with how bad I think Android products are.

Mofo's got a serious chip on their shoulder about it.

jstripes

Banned
This. It's a fucking phone. Why are there grown ass people that HATE on a phone? I don't understand. I personally don't like Android, but I don't shit up Android threads with how bad I think Android products are.

Same. I'm always curious about what other phones bring to the table. I won't laugh at a phone unless it's a complete trainwreck, made of flimsy "metallic" plastic or pleather, or ludicrously large. (The 6+ is kind of in that "too large" territory.)

Tekniqs

They're scared, with Apple launching big phones their biggest point of differentiation is gone. When it comes to high end phones market, these android OEMs are going to take a beating.
Except they won't. The Android platform has been really really good for a few years now.

nib95

Banned
comparison in my hands.

i think I will go with 6+

Wait till you try it first. The weight of the device can also be annoying (e.g. when you're in bed holding the phone above you for long periods of time). I say this as someone who tested the Note 3 for a week, and still ended up reverting to a smaller phone. Amazing devices, but the size and to a lesser extent, weight, can definitely be bothersome, depending on your needs and uses.

OEMs like Samsung are down YoY in sales.

Only because other Android vendors have taken some of their share. Overall Android sales are up.

People keep saying that the 6 is gimped, I don't get it. The differences between the two models are minimal.

Not when it comes to battery life.

The main benefit is the idle time, in which you're definitely more likely to notice differences in battery life if you're not using your phone too much.

Obviously. It doesn't mean the smaller one is gimped if you can just physically squeeze in a huge ass battery into the big one. The life on the 4.7" is still better than the 5S in a thinner, more powerful package

iPhone 6 surely did improve over the iPhone 5s with a better processor and all but the battery life hasn't changed. Up until now, Apple had one iPhone to begin with except for the 5c but this time it is a full fledged iPhone that can be compared with which has better screen (Resolution), better OIS and the biggest of all, better battery life.

In this day and age where Android phones are coming up with easy 1.5 days of charge battery life, and considering I came back to iPhone 5 from my LG G2, this thing blows and I don't want the same thing with a regular iPhone 6.

In my case, battery life is a huge deal, I do lots of texting on WhatsApp and browsing, so I will take what I can get. But YMMV obviously.

Minsc

Gold Member
What do people expect the pre-ordering to be like? I got both my prior phones around day 1, but they were wildly different scenarios.

iPhone 4 was a chaotic mess to pre-order. I think i had to wait in lines, and it wasn't even shipped out properly (i think even with a pre-order it was still first come first serve).

Then iPhone 5 pre-ordering was literally going in to a store with no wait on the first day, pre-ordered in a few mins, and picked it up no troubles when it released. Couldn't have been easier, and no lines or shortages in sight.

So I'm sort of expecting this to be more like the iPhone 5, demand will be there, but I doubt it'll be the mess the iPhone 4 was.

I think it helps me too that my iPhone 5 is still perfectly serviceable, where 2 years after owning the 4, it was dragging pretty bad and the slower speed was definitely apparent (so if I have to wait an extra week or more it's not bad). I'm expecting this to be true of others as well, people who have the 4S/5 probably are still satisfied with it, more than in the past. And the seemingly gigantic size (and extra cost) of the 6 Plus will probably help it stay in stock rather than hurt it, as not everyone want's to spend $400+ on a subsidized phone (with taxes and activation fees it'll probably be closer to $600).

ReAxion

Only because other Android vendors have taken some of their share. Overall Android sales are up.

So, none of these Android vendors are scared then? They're laughing all the way to the bank while they take chunks out of each other's pie, and these ads reflect this? Interesting theory.

Deku Tree

What do people expect the pre-ordering to be like? I got both my prior phones around day 1, but they were wildly different scenarios.

iPhone 4 was a chaotic mess to pre-order. I think i had to wait in lines, and it wasn't even shipped out properly (i think even with a pre-order it was still first come first serve).

Then iPhone 5 pre-ordering was literally going in to a store with no wait on the first day, pre-ordered in a few mins, and picked it up no troubles when it released. Couldn't have been easier, and no lines or shortages in sight.

So I'm sort of expecting this to be more like the iPhone 5, demand will be there, but I doubt it'll be the mess the iPhone 4 was.

I think it helps me too that my iPhone 5 is still perfectly serviceable, where 2 years after owning the 4, it was dragging pretty bad and the slower speed was definitely apparent (so if I have to wait an extra week or more it's not bad). I'm expecting this to be true of others as well, people who have the 4S/5 probably are still satisfied with it, more than in the past. And the seemingly gigantic size (and extra cost) of the 6 Plus will probably help it stay in stock rather than hurt it, as not everyone want's to spend $400+ on a subsidized phone (with taxes and activation fees it'll probably be closer to $600).

Tim Cook says it will be the "Mother of all upgrade" cycles. Wake up at midnight PST on friday and pre-order if you want to be guaranteed to get one on day 1. They'll probably be sold out of day 1 phones (and worse) before I wake up on the east coast. And I wake up early.

UND3RxOATH

Neo Member
I will be holding off for now and waiting till next year. I do enjoy my Nexus 5 and already own an iPad. I don't see a. Need to rush when the watch is the item I want the most.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Same. I'm always curious about what other phones bring to the table. I won't laugh at a phone unless it's a complete trainwreck, made of flimsy "metallic" plastic or pleather, or ludicrously large. (The 6+ is kind of in that "too large" territory.)

I don't hate iPhones at all, and would argue that they are perhaps the best "overall" phones still. It's justfunny to see some of the cultish attitudes some of its fans exhibit sometimes.

BearPawB

Banned
Preordering was hell when i did it for the 5.
The website was down for HOURS

I don't hate iPhones at all, and would argue that they are perhaps the best "overall" phones still. It's justfunny to see some of the cultish attitudes some of its fans exhibit sometimes.

android vs apple is the new Microsoft vs Sony.
It is really dumb. They are all phones. Choose what you like, why care what others choose?

So much this. I'm actually someone who uses both iOS and Android. I currently have a OnePlus One and an iPhone 5 (which is getting sold because I'm going to buy a 6 Plus). There are pros and cons to both, and I can see why someone one would prefer Android over iOS and I can see why people prefer iOS to Android. I do not get this culture of people shitting all over other people because they choose to use a phone that they don't "approve" of. If you don't like an iPhone, buy Android, if you don't like Android, buy an iPhone and if you don't like either buy a Windows phone. It's as simple as that.

Minsc

Gold Member
Tim Cook says it will be the "Mother of all upgrade" cycles. Wake up at midnight PST on friday and pre-order if you want to be guaranteed to get one on day 1. They'll probably be sold out of day 1 phones (and worse) before I wake up on the east coast. And I wake up early.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't really see the 5.5" model being more popular, and the prices are higher than usual going for that model too. I'd expect stock to be quickly available in stores, but that's just a guess.

Stores get their own stock separate from online for pre-ordering too. I went in to an AT&T store on the first pre-order day for the 5, and no lines, and issues like I mentioned, and didn't have to deal with website crashes or anything.

I do expect it to sell out (since that good PR and what you want), but I'll be surprised if you can't walk in to a store a week later and at worst get on a short waiting list for something (if they don't have the 64GB 5.5" maybe they have the 128GB or vice-versa).

Would someone mind going over the procedure for buying off contract during this Friday's preorder using the apple store app?

Thanks!

Edit: AT&T

BearPawB

Banned
Guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't really see the 5.5" model being more popular, and the prices are higher than usual going for that model too. I'd expect stock to be quickly available in stores, but that's just a guess.

Stores get their own stock separate from online for pre-ordering too. I went in to an AT&T store on the first pre-order day for the 5, and no lines, and issues like I mentioned, and didn't have to deal with website crashes or anything.

I do expect it to sell out (since that good PR and what you want), but I'll be surprised if you can't walk in to a store a week later and at worst get on a short waiting list.

Totally anecdotal, but I teach a class. This morning I walked in, everyone was talking about the phones. Almost everyone seemed to want the big one.

I think there will be some large age differences in who is getting the big phone and who gets the smaller phone

I'm super psyched about the iPhone 6. I bought a 5 two years ago, and I'll be thrilled to get a slightly bigger screen in the 4.7, improved battery life, better camera/video, better screen, fingerprint unlock.

I can't be bothered to jump through any hoops to pre-order though. So I'll get one when I get one. Probably a month after it comes out.

kaskade

Couldn't the 6+ theoretically run slightly worse than the 6 because of the same internals but larger screen size and resolution?

Minsc

Gold Member
Totally anecdotal, but I teach a class. This morning I walked in, everyone was talking about the phones. Almost everyone seemed to want the big one.

I think there will be some large age differences in who is getting the big phone and who gets the smaller phone

You mean it wasn't full of people saying how awkwardly huge they were (that seems to be the consensus where I work, but the average employee is older with kids)? Somewhat surprising, perhaps the demographics between the two are more balanced overall than I guessed...

Couldn't the 6+ theoretically run slightly worse than the 6 because of the same internals but larger screen size and resolution?

That would definitely be the case if true. But "worse" may still be 60fps for most things, the phones are pretty fast nowadays and apps/games generally target specs for 2+ generations past. Anandtech's review will definitely point out such things though.

Raistlin

The 6 Plus gets a single additional hour of battery on wi-fi (11 instead of 10) right? Hardly something I find thrilling or a real benefit to the Plus. My iPhone 5 already has a battery life of ~20 hours with a battery case, so it's actually a huge downgrade.
If only it had OIS

Top Bottom