• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Fuchsdh

The entire thing should be carved out of sapphire glass (If they can work on the whole not being able to read in ambient light reflective issue) with the screen going down the edges similar to how the Note Edge works.

Sapphire is great against scrapes and scratches, but it's inferior in terms of shock and impact. Making the entire thing sapphire would be intensely expensive and would result in a lot more shattered phones.

DOWN

Banned
lol at the guy who said he 'lightly bumped' someone. The guy in the vid was shaking like hella and bending multiple times to show it. I just don't see this being a common issue. It clearly takes hefty pressure you'd feel to get a significant bend. And even in warm, tight pants the bend would be a mild to unlikely occurrence. Will wait for more info on this before I count it as the new antennagate.

Vyer

lol at the guy who said he 'lightly bumped' someone. The guy in the vid was shaking like hella and bending multiple times to show it.

Yeah. Most of this stuff is BS. I knew people were desperate to create the next #gate but I didn't think it would get this ridiculous.

Tabris

You know honestly what is the best thing about this new phone (6 Normal) is the hand feel. It sounds weird, but this phone feels really smooth in your hand (without being slippery) and natural. Outside the rounded edges, it must be a different material than the 5S as it feels different.

nikos

Yes. It has to be our fault somehow. Steve died for our sins.

All I'm saying is you'd have to really try to bend the phone in order for it to bend. I can't see it bending from normal use, especially sitting in a front pocket. Maybe if somebody heavy put it in their back pocket and sat on it, it would bend, but that's the case for many objects.

People are just surprised that the phone is bendable because Apple made it, and that's why they're making a big deal about it. Had this been any other phone, people would shrug it off and blame it on physics, which is the only thing happening here. If you put enough pressure on anything, it will snap or bend. However, since Apple manufactured the phone, people hold it to a higher standard given Apple's materials and build quality.

Schlep

The amount of pressure he was putting on that 6+ would snap my Galaxy S4 in half, lol.

That said, if you get the 6+, it looks like you're going to see some sort of slight bend like his at the very beginning of the video.

Laekon

lol at the guy who said he 'lightly bumped' someone. The guy in the vid was shaking like hella and bending multiple times to show it. I just don't see this being a common issue. It clearly takes hefty pressure you'd feel to get a significant bend. And even in warm, tight pants the bend would be a mild to unlikely occurrence. Will wait for more info on this before I count it as the new antennagate.

What about the fact that the guy's phone in the video was already bent before he started? They have to be using some cheap grade of aluminum or a heat treating step got skipped. I can't imagine it's a design issue.

I really like the camera and build quality of the 6 but I'm waiting to hear how the battery life turns out to be.

BFIB

So UnboxTherapy did a bending video for the 6+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

I like MKBHD's comment on it, saying how people are making a fuss about the 6+ bending when plastic phones like the Note 3 bend even easier but it's Apple so people need to make it an issue...

Oh man, I cringed hard.

It looked like it took quite a bit of force to bend, but normal wear in pants pockets looks like some minor bending may be there if you go naked.

Apath

You're probably not going to get your phone until at least Oct. 02. Right now it seems AT&T is only shipping out to premier customers. I have seen quite a few people with my exact phone who ordered after me, receive shipping info.

It isn't first come first serve... it is more of a lottery.

AT&T 6+?
What is a premier customer? And if you're right, thank you so much. It's been killing me the past few days figuring out why people keep getting theirs and I am not.

nynt9

Oh man, I cringed hard.

It looked like it took quite a bit of force to bend, but normal wear in pants pockets looks like some minor bending may be there if you go naked.

He said it hurt his fingers to bend the phone so I don't think any small amount of force could do it.

Corgi

Banned
What is a premier customer? And if you're right, thank you so much. It's been killing me the past few days figuring out why people keep getting theirs and I am not.

people on business accounts/corporate discount plans.

Yeah my premier 64gb 6+ still hasn't shipped. last time i ever order fromAT&T.

I swear my 6+ is bending a bit.. or I'm trippin.
I got my regular 6 delivered on Monday and when I pulled it out of the box i swore it had a slight curvature. I thought it was just the design and the roundness but now I'm paranoid.

I wonder what the best way to check is - a level or something. It's not like it sits flat on a table with the camera and all anyway.

If it is a problem Apple will probably just change the tooling quietly in the background for manufacturing and not directly address it unless it really blows up.

Finally got my iPhone 6. Loved my Note 3 but one thing that I always missed about my older phones is being able to use one hand. The iPhone 6 feels amazing in the hand and is large enough for me to enjoy watching content like I used to on my Note 3. Enjoying it so far and it completes my Apple circle since I have two Macbook Pros and a iPad Air.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Got my 6+!

But.. fucking fedex tossed it over my fence. Luckily the phone is fine but damn..

Toki767

Got my 6+!

But.. fucking fedex tossed it over my fence. Luckily the phone is fine but damn..

scumbag-fedex-delive_1324783969_epiclolcom.gif

I love the space grey color of my 6+ but I feel like I want to exchange it for a white silver color. With a 14 return policy and no stock anywhere I may be fucked

Enzom21

Yep AT&T Premier. AT&T screwed up. As you said, it isn't first come first serve.
Yeah, they are now shafting non-premier customers to rectify their screwup.

Business line, I think they don't have to pay the upgrade fee and get a discount on service.
I think one person who wasn't a premier customer got shipping info and he ordered at 11:45PM on the 11. I ordered 5 mins after him and have not received my phone yet.
Never again with AT&T.

a916

Sapphire is great against scrapes and scratches, but it's inferior in terms of shock and impact. Making the entire thing sapphire would be intensely expensive and would result in a lot more shattered phones.

But I was under the impression it wasn't easily shattered because there is no one edge (like a glass screen) where it would have a weakness?

A clear metal alloy? Skip the glass/crystal thing entirely...

BFIB

No phone is perfect. I had small cracks on my iPhone 3G. I had scuffs appear on my iPhone 4 and 4S. My Galaxy S3 started falling apart pretty much as soon as it came out of the box. My HTC One M7 had small gaps in the construction on by the bezel. My M8 was probably the best built phone I'd had yet, but it hid scratches well with its brushed aluminum.

Point is, every phone is going to have some level of issue. Your talking about a big slate of aluminum with a 7.9" thickness. Crazy thin on a large slate that goes into pockets. But I would think if a case is on the phone, then you should be OK.

Ovid

I hate T-mobile! I'm never making the mistake of ordering from them again.

Preordered as early as possible and yet I'm on "Backorder" status and have received no updates whatsoever. I called customer care and they said not to expect it for minimum 6 weeks, and possibly not until next year. WTF

Cancelled my preorder right then and there. Ridiculous that I still couldn't even check my order status on the website more than 10 days after preorders went up.
I honestly had no issues with my TMo purchase. I preordered at 10am PST on Sept. 12th and received mine on Sept 19th.

I'm happy.

Aske

I spent entirely too much time playing with both phones in the Apple store today. Still have no idea which I want to buy.

I spent the most time with the Plus. It feels comically large for a phone. I feel the design needs to move towards feeling like an iPad Nano rather than a Supersized iPhone. Subjective, but I could and would read comics on it. However, I don't think it's worth picking up just for that - it's still an inferior comic-reading experience to my ancient gen 1 iPad (or an iPad Mini). But combined with the battery life, it becomes a much more attractive proposition. I could type one-handed fairly easily, I didn't find it at all slippery, and Reachability works perfectly once you realize the Touch ID button is a less sensitive to your finger than the screen.

However, I really didn't care much for the design. As I say, it feels like a giant phone. Where the 6 seemed gorgeous, the Plus actually felt tacky to me. Not a fan of the gold, and the space grey's black Touch ID button looks like cheap plastic. The silver probably looked the best, but after much testing I found the black bezel displayed content much less obtrusively - that's one I'd pick.

The three 6s were not only somehow beautiful phones despite identical aesthetics to the Plus; they also felt absolutely perfect in the hand. Even the antenna bands seemed less offensive. I wouldn't choose to read comics on the 4.7" screen, but I was more than satisfied with everything else. Videos, Safari, Photos...everything felt large and vibrant, and sized up enough to share without forcing others to crowd around your typical tiny iPhone screen. I can see apps like Garage Band benefitting from the 5.5" screen, but I'd rather use a desktop for that kind of task.

Part of me is leaning towards the 4.7" 6 just because it felt more like a premium product. If Apple had translated the sense of quality inherent in their iPad line to the Plus, I'd be all over it; size be damned. Or if they'd made the 6 a little thicker and given it comparable battery life to the Plus, I'd jump on the smaller phone without a thought. As is, I'm still humming and hawing as I reflect on two imperfect products. Leaning towards the 4.7" 6 this time, but my eye will be on the 5.5" as the design evolves over the next couple of product cycles.

Ovid

I really want a super thin case for this thing. It has to be good quality though. I know you guys made a bunch a posts about cases but any suggestions?

No phone is perfect. I had small cracks on my iPhone 3G. I had scuffs appear on my iPhone 4 and 4S. My Galaxy S3 started falling apart pretty much as soon as it came out of the box. My HTC One M7 had small gaps in the construction on by the bezel. My M8 was probably the best built phone I'd had yet, but it hid scratches well with its brushed aluminum.

Point is, every phone is going to have some level of issue. Your talking about a big slate of aluminum with a 7.9" thickness. Crazy thin on a large slate that goes into pockets. But I would think if a case is on the phone, then you should be OK.

BFIB

I spent entirely too much time playing with both phones in the Apple store today. Still have no idea which I want to buy.

I spent the most time with the Plus. It feels comically large for a phone. I feel the design needs to move towards feeling like an iPad Nano rather than a Supersized iPhone. Subjective, but I could and would read comics on it. However, I don't think it's worth picking up just for that - it's still an inferior comic-reading experience to my ancient gen 1 iPad (or an iPad Mini). But combined with the battery life, it becomes a much more attractive proposition. I could type one-handed fairly easily, I didn't find it at all slippery, and Reachability works perfectly once you realize the Touch ID button is a less sensitive to your finger than the screen.

However, I really didn't care much for the design. As I say, it feels like a giant phone. Where the 6 seemed gorgeous, the Plus actually felt tacky to me. Not a fan of the gold, and the space grey's black Touch ID button looks like cheap plastic. The silver probably looked the best, but after much testing I found the black bezel displayed content much less obtrusively - that's one I'd pick.

The three 6s were not only somehow beautiful phones despite identical aesthetics to the Plus; they also felt absolutely perfect in the hand. Even the antenna bands seemed less offensive. I wouldn't choose to read comics on the 4.7" screen, but I was more than satisfied with everything else. Videos, Safari, Photos...everything felt large and vibrant, and sized up enough to share without forcing others to crowd around your typical tiny iPhone screen. I can see apps like Garage Band benefitting from the 5.5" screen, but I'd rather use a desktop for that kind of task.

Part of me is leaning towards the 4.7" 6 just because it felt more like a premium product. If Apple had translated the sense of quality inherent in their iPad line to the Plus, I'd be all over it; size be damned. Or if they'd made the 6 a little thicker and given it comparable battery life to the Plus, I'd jump on the smaller phone without a thought. As is, I'm still humming and hawing as I reflect on two imperfect products. Leaning towards the 4.7" 6 this time, but my eye will be on the 5.5" as the design evolves over the next couple of product cycles.

4.7-5" seems to be the perfect sweet spot for me. I really don't think I'd enjoy having a larger display than that. My wife has the Note 3, and it is just way too big IMO.

Ovid

4.7-5" seems to be the perfect sweet spot for me. I really don't think I'd enjoy having a larger display than that. My wife has the Note 3, and it is just way too big IMO.
I agree.

A bigger display is probably awesome but wouldn't be practical day-to-day.

jts

...hate me...

Thanks for the input, that's a lot how I feel too.

Why is Apple giving me choices.... I am not used to this. I fear breaking down in the store next friday and trying to mash both phones together.

a916

Anyone here grabbing a case for their iPhone 6? Maybe even to stiffen the body of the phone up a little from bending in your pocket?

Corgi

Banned
finally saw a white iphone 6/6+ today. Might just be me, but the curved reflective glass bezel makes it look like its cheap plastic o_O

could just be the lighting in the apple store though.

I too feel like the 4.7 is probably the perfect size.

...but I'm going to try that 5.5 to see if I can make it work anyway. If not, exchanging for a 4.7 should be easy.

Also, maybe that 5.5 really will need a hard case. Might have to look at wooden cases if I end up keeping a 5.5.

Just picked up the iPhone 6 from the T-Mobile store after canceling my online order from the apple store.

All I can say is man am I glad I didn't get the plus version, I can barely hold the regular version. Though I do enjoy the greater screen space now.

Corgi

Banned
can't wait for people to capitalize on bendgate.

bridge-suspension.gif

"Our patented case design based off Suspension bridges will protect your phone from flexing"

MicH

2008 - crackgate?

6660659295_7b432f7c81_z.jpg
I seem to remember this was primarily happening to white units? Or am I misremebering? My black 3GS never had huge cracks, but small ones after a couple of years

Speaking of the 3G, I still remember when a friend of mine asked me to get his phone for him (it was on the table right next to me) and it was just coated in grease. It was absolutely disgusted. Crusted grease everywhere on the phone. Ugh. How can some people live with that!?

Top Bottom