• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

I seem to remember this was primarily happening to white units? Or am I misremebering? My black 3GS never had huge cracks, but small ones after a couple of years

Speaking of the 3G, I still remember when a friend of mine asked me to get his phone for him (it was on the table right next to me) and it was just coated in grease. It was absolutely disgusted. Crusted grease everywhere on the phone. Ugh. How can some people live with that!?
I had a black 3G and mine did this, but it may have been more common with white ones.

And yeah, that's pretty gross.

Oh man, I cringed hard.

It looked like it took quite a bit of force to bend, but normal wear in pants pockets looks like some minor bending may be there if you go naked.

Reports of people just leaving it in the pocket all day, like where a phone belongs, caused it to bend

Pretty alarming

number11

I'm gonna miss my iPhone 4. I would drop that thing constantly and it still looks brand new. Now according to people at macrumours, I can't even put my phone in my front pocket while sitting down?

DarkWish

Really sucks pre-ordering 45 minutes after pre-orders started with AT&T and having to wait until October 2nd-13th to get the phone.

Ordered the iPhone 6 Plus and now I really need it soon because my iPhone 5 stopped taking phone calls. If someone calls me or I call them, then I can't hear them on the line and they can't hear me. Same thing happened with my iPhone 4 right before the iPhone 5 released.

Sarye

Question... what is the best and fastest way to get a regular iphone 6? My dad just told me he wants one so I just want to see what my options are (he's tied to his company which is why he's telling me now.). Online looks like the fastest will be directly from apple since it ships 7-10 business days.

Just wondering whether the retail stores or carrier stores are getting shipments weekly or something of the sort. Thanks in advance.

Jomjom

Banned
I ordered 6+ on Wednesday and it's out for delivery today for me. But yeah, T-Mobile hadn't updated anything until yesterday.

Wow what the hell. I ordered on the day preorders opened and got nothing. I guess they are just randomly picking who to ship to. Congrats though.

Fjordson

Question... what is the best and fastest way to get a regular iphone 6? My dad just told me he wants one so I just want to see what my options are (he's tied to his company which is why he's telling me now.). Online looks like the fastest will be directly from apple since it ships 7-10 business days.

Just wondering whether the retail stores or carrier stores are getting shipments weekly or something of the sort. Thanks in advance.
Apple.com has almost every single store around me with the regular 6 in stock (all three colors). Obviously will vary based on where you live, but I would try snagging one in-store first.

Enfinit

I'd say visiting a carrier store or an Apple store in person would be the fastest result. I'm not sure about my carrier store, but as of yesterday my Apple retail store (Tampa, Florida) had every model of the 6 in stock, and select models of the 6 Plus ready to be purchased.

I'm not sure about when they get shipments in, but I would assume the Apple store gets them in more frequently than a carrier store. On launch day (last Friday), they were out of 6 Plus', however they advised everyone that more would be in the following day.

If you can't get in to a store in person, and online ordering is your way to go, I'd say just look at the expected shipping time of both places and pick which ever one's better. Based on whatever area you're in, shipping estimate times between the two places is pretty much a crap shoot on who would get there faster.

RedSwirl

2208 is the rendering resolution of wallpapers, you'd need to go slightly wider by 10-15% to make up for parallax.

Really? I thought 2208 was the final resolution after that compensation.

Whatever. It's not that far away from the parallax compensation for the retina iPad.

Sarye

Apple.com has almost every single store around me with the regular 6 in stock (all three colors). Obviously will vary based on where you live, but I would try snagging one in-store first.

I'd say visiting a carrier store or an Apple store in person would be the fastest result. I'm not sure about my carrier store, but as of yesterday my Apple retail store (Tampa, Florida) had every model of the 6 in stock, and select models of the 6 Plus ready to be purchased.

Thanks guys! Yeah I guess I'll try visiting the stores. Currently all the Apple stores around me are showing out of stock but doesn't hurt to see when they get new shipments.

badb0y

Bought myself an el-cheapo Spigen Air Cushion case to hold me over until I find a better option. I do NOT want my 6 Plus to get bent...and I won't take any chances until we have some more user data.

LordCanti

I did the AT&T activation four hours ago and my 6+ still has no service. The confirmation screen said to wait and that they had heavy volumes, but this seems like it has taken longer than it should. Anyone else still waiting?

Just grabbed an iphone 6 today. What is the consensus on the stock apple case for it? Even with it being crazy over priced at $35. Just want to get something asap.

Enfinit

Thanks guys! Yeah I guess I'll try visiting the stores. Currently all the Apple stores around me are showing out of stock but doesn't hurt to see when they get new shipments.
Don't potentially waste your time going in, they should be able to tell you over the phone!

Just grabbed an iphone 6 today. What is the consensus on the stock apple case for it? Even with it being crazy over priced at $35. Just want to get something asap.
I'm using the black leather Apple case, and I love it. Minimal, durable, and very aesthetically pleasing. The interior of the case is lined with felt, which is very nice, and I've dropped it from ear height twice so far (once on hard carpet and the other on asphalt), and the phone is in immaculate condition.

If you're willing to spoolge $45 for it, I recommend it. It's certainly not going to protect the phone from anything crazy, but if you're looking are a sleek and minimal case to protect against the daily wears and activities of the day, you can't ask for a much better case.

I wonder if the leather case is sturdy enough to prevent it from happening.
Not that I've knowingly put my phone in a condition where it might bend, but the leather case certain feels like it's sturdy enough to prevent this. To me, at least.

Pastry

Banned
My 5 is slowly dying on me: trouble charging, broken volume buttons, etc. And I'm just hoping I can find a 6+ before it shits the bucket, I know it's going to happen really soon :( getting harder to charge.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
After much internal wrestling with myself, I went to the Apple Store and snagged the blue leather case for my silver 6+.

At the end of the day, what pushed things over the top for me was the need for added grip on the phone during day to day use. I can actually use the 6+ one handed in a lot more scenarios than most people would likely deem realistic (without using Reachability...haven't touched the feature), but when I was doing some hand maneuvering I never felt 100% comfortable with my grip and control levels. It wasn't that I couldn't use the phone one-handed, it was that I didn't feel safe doing it.

One could argue that in those scenarios I should just be using the phone two-handed, and they aren't wrong...but by adding 1mm of thickness to the overall device, I can add a grippy texture that isn't a complete eyesore.

I generally prefer the phone naked, but if I'm going to be using my 6+ all this year with confidence, I'm going to want that grip.

Hopefully the blue leather patinas nicely. It does in my head, at least.

Dead

well not really...yet
Snug fit, nice feel and adds barely any weight. Most other brand cases look unsightly to me anyways.

Only thing is that with the case you lose the sexy edge curve for your thumb or fingers to glide over.

jts

...hate me...
The leather case from Apple is kinda disappointing tbh.

It has a coarser grain than the iPhone 5s case and it's open on the bottom :( Apple pls.

Hattori

Banned
I apparently have giant hands because the 6 was tiny in my hand and the 6 Plus was smaller than I expected. It's bizarre because I'm a 5s user (well not anymore since it was stolen recently) and I'm now thinking how I managed with such tiny phone. I'm definitely sticking with my Plus preorder, I was tempted to get the 6 (hence the trip to the Apple Store,) but not anymore. Waiting game continues...

Iacobellis

I seem to remember this was primarily happening to white units? Or am I misremebering? My black 3GS never had huge cracks, but small ones after a couple of years

Speaking of the 3G, I still remember when a friend of mine asked me to get his phone for him (it was on the table right next to me) and it was just coated in grease. It was absolutely disgusted. Crusted grease everywhere on the phone. Ugh. How can some people live with that!?

I think this is one of the reasons we didn't see the white iPhone 4 until the following year.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
He was putting a lot of pressure. Try that on any piece of aluminum, or even other metals and see how they fair.... hell, try it with any phone out there and see what results you get. These things are not made out of steel.

The "try it with any other phone" excuse doesn't apply though. Apple, with the complicity of the media, elevates Apple products (especially iPhones) to objects worthy of worship, of near mythical standards. Tim Cook just said recently that iPhones are "appreciably better in every way" to other phones (Androids).

Apple can't have it both ways. If it's going to promote and price the iPhone as the premiere smartphone, the one all other phones should aspire to, the product better be near perfect out of the box.

knitoe

I did the AT&T activation four hours ago and my 6+ still has no service. The confirmation screen said to wait and that they had heavy volumes, but this seems like it has taken longer than it should. Anyone else still waiting?

Turn off you 6+, and then, turn it back on. See if you have service. I did the online activation with my first 6+. I waited 2hrs, but after rebooting the phone, got service. Second 6+, dial a phone number, enter info, turn off active phone, wait 5 min, turn on 6+ and service. In both case, might just be you need to turn off both phones, wait 5 min and turn on 6.

DOWN

Banned
Guys I'm so excited to use Apple Pay. Where should I do it first? Tempted to do it at McDonald's and be a #trueAmerican but there's so many options. Maybe I should go to Staples? Bloomingdale's?

Sobriquet

After much internal wrestling with myself, I went to the Apple Store and snagged the blue leather case for my silver 6+.

At the end of the day, what pushed things over the top for me was the need for added grip on the phone during day to day use. I can actually use the 6+ one handed in a lot more scenarios than most people would likely deem realistic (without using Reachability...haven't touched the feature), but when I was doing some hand maneuvering I never felt 100% comfortable with my grip and control levels. It wasn't that I couldn't use the phone one-handed, it was that I didn't feel safe doing it.

One could argue that in those scenarios I should just be using the phone two-handed, and they aren't wrong...but by adding 1mm of thickness to the overall device, I can add a grippy texture that isn't a complete eyesore.

I generally prefer the phone naked, but if I'm going to be using my 6+ all this year with confidence, I'm going to want that grip.

Hopefully the blue leather patinas nicely. It does in my head, at least.

I was having similar thoughts and ordered the leather case for pickup. Blue as well, but for a gold Plus. :)

I think this is one of the reasons we didn't see the white iPhone 4 until the following year.

It was due to paint issues.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I was having similar thoughts and ordered the leather case for pickup. Blue as well, but for a gold Plus. :)

Our phones will look identical then! Well...your TouchID metal ring will be gold I spose...

Top Bottom