• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

jts

...hate me...
Did you even watch their note 3 bend test?

Galaxy Note 3 Bend Test (iPhone 6 Plus Follow-up): http://youtu.be/FwM4ypi3at0
I guess this can reignite the discussion about materials in electronics, specifically, in phones.

Maybe a new benchmark should be heavily pushed to the consumers, especially from Samsung in this case: torsional rigidity.

Dat Nm/rad.

Apple to bring back the stainless steel build from the iPhone 4 and 4s to lay down the law again.

The leather case from Apple is kinda disappointing tbh.

It has a coarser grain than the iPhone 5s case and it's open on the bottom :( Apple pls.

I wondered about that open bottom also until I remembered how much of a pain in the ass the 5/5s case was to remove.

I like seeing the bottom of the phone that reminds me what the rest of the phone looks like under. It's like iPhone cleavage.

jts

...hate me...
I wondered about that open bottom also until I remembered how much of a pain in the ass the 5/5s case was to remove.

I like seeing the bottom of the phone that reminds me what the rest of the phone looks like under. It's like iPhone cleavage.
I guess there are 2 reasons they opened the bottom: easiness of install/removal, but also to avoid the case from having weak points around the ports, which are very likely to break.

But I don't like to imagine the uneven wear-out that will build after months and years of using those cases.

riotous

Banned
They really seem to be cranking in the stress test videos; it's hard to imagine a loose front pocket putting that much pressure on the phone or someone "not feeling" the phone in their pocket and having it happen (what those reporting the issue are claiming.)

The 6 Plus is so slim that it's really hard for me to pick it up when I set it on a table. A bit annoying.

Not to worry; it's designed to personalize itself for your needs. It will soon lift off the table in an elegant curve.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Wow. This refutes everyone in this thread saying any phone would break like the 6 if the same amount of pressure was applied in the original video.

I didn't say the same amount of pressure, but you can break any phone with your hands with enough pressure. Those videos are far from scientific. What is true is that metal bends quite a bit before cracking. Plastic will crack faster than metals but depending on the thickness and whatnot, it may resist certain pressures more. Also the shape of the phone has a bit to do with the amount of stress it can resist from certain angles. A more rectangular phone (i.e. 8 corners) will resist more pressure when pushed from behind or front. The fact that the iPhone is curved actually makes it a bit weaker on that front. With that said, I'm not really sure why people would be so careless with such expensive piece of equipment, this guy still had to push quite hard before it bent.

LordCanti

Turn off you 6+, and then, turn it back on. See if you have service. I did the online activation with my first 6+. I waited 2hrs, but after rebooting the phone, got service. Second 6+, dial a phone number, enter info, turn off active phone, wait 5 min, turn on 6+ and service. In both case, might just be you need to turn off both phones, wait 5 min and turn on 6.

Tried this and nothing. The sim from my 5 was pulled before I did the activation the first time, but I hadn't tried power cycling the 6+. Did that, waited 10-15 min, still nothing.

I guess AT&T's systems are just on fire?

Edit: Had someone manually activate it over AT&T's customer support chat, if anyone else was having this problem and wondering.

badb0y

Returning my iPhone 6 Plus and going with the Note 4. Maybe next year Apple will reinforce their shitty build quality iPhone.

knicks

I didn't say the same amount of pressure, but you can break any phone with your hands with enough pressure. Those videos are far from scientific. What is true is that metal bends quite a bit before cracking. Plastic will crack faster than metals but depending on the thickness and whatnot, it may resist certain pressures more. Also the shape of the phone has a bit to do with the amount of stress it can resist from certain angles. A more rectangular phone will resist more pressure when pushed from behind or front. The fact that the iPhone is curved actually makes it a bit weaker on that front. With that said, I'm not really sure why people would be so careless with such expensive piece of equipment.

Okay...but these phones are getting bent without hand pressure. That is the idea here and it's without a doubt concern. I don't think any other iPhone model/high end phone is as easy to bend as the iPhone 6 Plus. Putting your phone in your front pocket and sitting down with it is being careless?

badb0y

Did yours bend or is this just a reaction? Send it my way, trying to find a 6+.
It hasn't bent yet but I know the way I use my phones that it won't survive the year. Both my iPhone 4 and 5 were put through some tough shit and they reason I stuck with them was because of the impeccable build quality. Maybe next year Apple will fix the structural problems of the iPhone and I'll come back.

EDIT: iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB White AT&T locked. If you can buy it at retail price from me you can have it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Okay...but these phones are getting bent without hand pressure. That is the idea here and it's without a doubt concern. I don't think any other iPhone model/high end phone is as easy to bend as the iPhone 6 Plus. Putting your phone in your front pocket and sitting down with it is being careless?

We have no idea how exactly these phones were bent. If they had in them in their back pockets I would say that is careless. Same if they are in the front pocket and they don't fit below where your thigh and hip bend at the joint.

Is making the phone out of aluminum an oversight? Maybe, or they weighed the pros and cons and decided this was still the way to go. Either way, big ass phone that does not fully fit in your pocket, you should probably be a little more careful with it, especially if it is made out of aluminum.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Returning my iPhone 6 Plus and going with the Note 4. Maybe next year Apple will reinforce their shitty build quality iPhone.

Why not go with the normal iphone 6? that's the route i'm gonna go down. Now I gotta go through the replacement process once mine comes in and hopefully they will have a normal space grey 128 gb for me.

badb0y

Why not go with the normal iphone 6? that's the route i'm gonna go down. Now I gotta go through the replacement process once mine comes in and hopefully they will have a normal space grey 128 gb for me.
Do I really want to risk that? The iPhone 6 is smaller but it's also thinner and there's a reason I went with the big iPhone....it's because I want a big iPhone lol.

ZeroX03

Banned
It hasn't bent yet but I know the way I use my phones that it won't survive the year. Both my iPhone 4 and 5 were put through some tough shit and they reason I stuck with them was because of the impeccable build quality. Maybe next year Apple will fix the structural problems of the iPhone and I'll come back.

EDIT: iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB White AT&T locked. If you can buy it at retail price from me you can have it.

You realize the bend issue is very isolated, and the iPhone 5 had similar bending issues too? It's also not an issue that's isolated to iPhones, most other phones are susceptible to bending under significant pressure. Stop overreacting over a couple of people having bent phones, likely from their own stupid actions.

Seems bendgate hysteria has begun. Yeesh.

I want more details than "omg my phone bent!"

I tend to be pretty careful with my phones. Never too much pressure on them in the pockets.

I think I'll be fine with a case and deep and loose pockets.

You realize the bend issue is very isolated, and the iPhone 5 had similar bending issues too? It's also not an issue that's isolated to iPhones, most other phones are susceptible to bending under significant pressure. Stop overreacting over a couple of people having bent phones, likely from their own stupid actions.

This.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Do I really want to risk that? The iPhone 6 is smaller but it's also thinner and there's a reason I went with the big iPhone....it's because I want a big iPhone lol.

yeah I can understand the bigger screen argument, but I haven't really seen reports of the iphone 6 bending.

badb0y

Explain to me this then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0

your iPhone 5 used the same alumium as the plus. but you should return the plus. maybe someone who really wants it will get it.

the note is made of the same plastic as the hard cases whose purpose is to not bend and break like iPhone 5-6 would. you should go for the note 3 if durability is a major concern and your work makes you vulnerable to it and you can't put your iPhone in a case

badb0y

your iPhone 5 used the same alumium as the plus. but you should return the plus. maybe someone who really wants it will get it.
It did, but it wasn't 5.5 inches long and 7.1mm thin. The more I think about it the dumber the decision to go ultra thin is.
I said most other phones, and that's hardly a scientific test. If you want evidence from one person, I've got a Galaxy Note 3 next to me that's constantly creaking and full of scuffs and small dents from minor use if you want to talk build quality though.
I know, I have had Android phones before...but I much rather a creek than a motherfucking bend lol.

LordCanti

LTE speeds are seemingly great on my IP6+ but the same WIFI that worked fine on the IP5 is barely working at all from a distance of five feet from the router. I tried power cycling... :/

I love the phone otherwise. The big size is easier to read, it feels nice in my (oversized man) hands, etc. I just need to figure this wifi issue out.

Edit: Tried forgetting network/redoing it and no love. Tried power cycling multiple times. It barely works in the "it'll error out of loading a page" sense. IP5 worked swimmingly... mmm....

knicks

Do we really think Apple doesn't stress test these and think they are reasonable when they ship?

They messed up pretty bad with the iPhone 4 antenna dilemma. Would think they would have tested that. They fucked up here, and they know it. Let us see what they publicly release concerning the issue in the next coming days.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
scumbag-fedex-delive_1324783969_epiclolcom.gif

Wow. Call in and make a complaint.
Left an e-mail. This has happened before so hopefully something is done about it this time.

They messed up pretty bad with the iPhone 4 antenna dilemma. Would think they would have tested that. They fucked up here, and they know it. Let us see what they publicly release concerning the issue in the next coming days.

lets wait if it goes beyond 10 people at the end of this week

JRBechard

How can I put my music on my iPhone 6? On my 4, I had the "manually mange your music" option, but that's not there anymore.

I have iTunes Match, but I don't want to download each album over wifi when I could just transfer it from my Mac.

I tried turning iTunes Match off from my iPhone, then the only option I found was "Autofill" or fill from a playlist; but when I turned back on iTunes Match it deleted all the songs from my iPhone.

Corgi

Banned
sticking any case on a 6+ besides super thin ones should address the bending issue due to physics.

No biggie for me... unless theres been report of bending 6+'s in cases?

ZeroX03

Banned
I am going with a Note 4.

So you're going from one phone, which has a few (again, I don't think it's even double digits yet) cases of bending and going to another phone built from the same material that hasn't even been tested? Okay, great idea.

I don't think you have to be posting on message boards for something like this to happen to you. Not every victim will publicize there bent phone on social media.

Are you for real?

OmegaFax

The iPhone 3G and 3GS had cracking issues with the plastic. iPhone 4 and 4S were both prone to glass cracking (particularly with carelessness). iPhone 5's chauffeured edges were extremely susceptible to rubbing off (which it's assumed that's the reason Apple went to "Space Grey").

Ironically, looked at a video of the LG Flex and it actually held up to stress far worst than either the iPhone 6 or Galaxy Note 3.

From personal experience, the iPhone 4 was incredibly rigid. Small enough that it didn't pivot and bend in my pocket. I felt that the departure from having a steel band and going to pure aluminum was a step backwards. The original iPhone's case was thin and easily bent.

Thing people forget is aluminum is very malleable. The plastic and glass will bend to a certain degree without warping or losing their shape (though, they may snap or crack).

Referencing iFixit's teardown, the entire structure of the phone is that single piece of aluminum. It looks structurally flimsy.

Edit: Did some range searches on the iPhone 5 launch. Some snippets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5GFTdS_aFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7_AS_9z0IU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Someone in a MacRumors thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1452478

"It does make you wonder, with the aluminum frame, if people are going to bend their phones by sitting down awkwardly or something. Time will tell I guess."

Eh, maybe some anecdotal research. I feel like iPhone owners walk into a crack in the wall and we forget everything.

I don't think you have to be posting on message boards for something like this to happen to you. Not every victim will publicize there bent phone on social media.

I would think if there is a design product flaw in the anodized aluminium, then we would hear a lot more on the social media by now especially after a whole day with major news outlets reporting. I was expecting a lot more than 7 people to say they have a bent iPhone after being in their pocket after all the media outlets are reporting it.

People would have come out of woodworks and I can guarantee every iPhone 6 owner would have laid their phone flat on a table to see its stability. like I did

badb0y

So you're going from one phone, which has a few (again, I don't think it's even double digits yet) cases of bending and going to another phone built from the same material that hasn't even been tested? Okay, great idea.

Are you for real?
If the Samsung has the same problems I'll just return that too.

Top Bottom