• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If the same problems being "you treat your phone like shit" and "bump into tables", I'd say yeah, you're probably running similar risks.

The hysteria is real.
I'm a pretty big Apple stan and I think you are being ridiculous. That says a lot.

knicks

I would think if there is a design product flaw in the anodized aluminium, then we would hear a lot more on the social media by now especially after a whole day with major news outlets reporting. I was expecting a lot more than 7 people to say they have a bent iPhone after being in their pocket after all the media outlets are reporting it.

People would have come out of woodworks and I can guarantee every iPhone 6 owner would have laid their phone flat on a table to see its stability. like I did

It is being reported my major news outlets. I feel like you think I'm arguing on the other side of the fence here, hence you are quoting my posts, but I am an iPhone 6 owner myself just to clarify. I pre-ordered at 3 AM on Friday and got it day one. I too laid my phone flat, though am still incredibly concerned about this issue, because it is a real issue. Apple will say something on it, guarantee it.

knicks

So you're going from one phone, which has a few (again, I don't think it's even double digits yet) cases of bending and going to another phone built from the same material that hasn't even been tested? Okay, great idea.

Are you for real?

Didn't Apple self-acknowledge they messed up with the iPhone 4 antenna, and than give everyone free cases for it? Wait...so you cannot be a victim of having your phone get bent unless you post on message boards? You must post on MacRumors bud.

Cheech

I asked this a few pages back but never got an answer: is the bending issue only a 6+ thing or is the standard 6 getting a lot of complaints too?

I wouldn't call it a "lot" of complaints. More like a vocal few fed through the Internet bullhorn. I'm not convinced that the few cases are even legit and not done intentionally for the purposes of Internet attention whoring. You have to straight up abuse these phones to get them to bend.

elty

Stupid question, is there any harm to leave the protective film on the phone? My gf likes to keep hers in place to act as a screen protector.

Sean

Banned
Stupid question, is there any harm to leave the protective film on the phone? My gf likes to keep hers in place to act as a screen protector.

I'm pretty sure the protective film covers the ear piece (would make phone call harder to hear) and the home button (so would screw up Touch ID). But other than that there's probably no harm.

knitoe

Nope, but it's going to collect dirt and dust very quickly. Why not just get screen protector?

It is being reported my major news outlets. I feel like you think I'm arguing on the other side of the fence here, hence you are quoting my posts, but I am an iPhone 6 owner myself just to clarify. I pre-ordered at 3 AM on Friday and got it day one. I too laid my phone flat, though am still incredibly concerned about this issue, because it is a real issue. Apple will say something on it, guarantee it.

and all the examples the major news outlets are those 7 users. even the pictures are from there. there are literally no others yet. out of 5-10 million iphon 6 sold. I would have thought there would be more if there were so easily bendable

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm a pretty big Apple stan and I think you are being ridiculous. That says a lot.

How am I being ridiculous? A very isolated issue from very few people is somehow a huge deal now? It's an issue that - from what maninthemirror has stated - has affected 7 people out of over 10 million worldwide and people are talking about returning their phones and comparing it to antennagate. See:

Didn't Apple self-acknowledge they messed up with the iPhone 4 antenna, and than give everyone free cases for it? Wait...so you cannot be a victim of having your phone get bent unless you post on message boards? You must post on MacRumors bud.

If you're comparing this to the iPhone 4 antenna situation you're out of your mind. That was a wide spread issue. We're not even sure if this is in the double digits yet.

Pastry

Banned
and all the examples the major news outlets are those 7 users. even the pictures are from there. there are literally no others yet. out of 5-10 million iphon 6 sold. I would have thought there would be more if there were so easily bendable

Yeah even if there were 100 cases being reported it would still fall under an acceptable defect variance. No manufacturing process is perfect and the best a company can do is reduce the variance until it is no longer economically feasible to do so. But it's Apple so we're talking about it and people are acting like it's unacceptable.

NYR

Apple apologists in this thread are disgraceful.

"It's a aluminum phone, what do you expect?"

"It's so thin, what do you expect?"

"Stop putting in your pocket!"

"These are just isolated incidents!"

What a joke. This is simply another case of Apple choosing form over function. No one needs a thin, aluminum phone, they could be 0.4 mm thicker, no one would complain and this likely wouldn't be an issue. The bend videos of the iPhone and the note are enough proof of that. I'm a diehard Apple thread, but some of you ride Apple's dick WAY too hard.

Well news sites are probably using those same 7 to get their article out as quickly as possible. Then they can research more and find other examples if they pop up.

badb0y

So you're throwing in the towel over a few isolated incidents and believing the hysteria?
Yes? I mean it's a $900 phone if I can't use it like I want it to what's the point of getting it.

I work with my phone in my pocket and I move around a lot often hitting stuff in the process. I can't be worried about my phone bending while doing other things in my life.

Sorry, maybe next year they will reinforce the aluminum.

ZeroX03

Banned
The whole point of the video showing that it CAN BE bent is enough to prove it isn't an isolated incident.

The video shows if you apply a large amount of pressure to an aluminum phone it'll bend. You'll also find plenty examples of videos showing that if you drop a phone the screen will shatter. If you treat a phone like shit, it will break.

Normal users so far haven't been affected other than the 7 or so that have been reported. Out of ten million. Hell, I'd wager more people have had their screens shattered on their iPhone 6s already.

NYR

The video shows if you apply a large amount of pressure to an aluminum phone it'll bend. You'll also find plenty examples of videos showing that if you drop a phone the screen will shatter. If you treat a phone like shit, it will break.

Normal users so far haven't been affected other than the 7 or so that have been reported. Out of ten million. Hell, I'd wager more people have had their screens shattered on their iPhone 6s already.
He barely put any effort into bending it. That isn't treating it like shit.

Husker86

The guy in the video shows his phone was bent from just being in his pocket before doing the stress test.

It's probably not going to be a huge deal over time, but don't downplay it as nothing.

BunnyBear

Yes? I mean it's a $900 phone if I can't use it like I want it to what's the point of getting it.

I work with my phone in my pocket and I move around a lot often hitting stuff in the process. I can't be worried about my phone bending while doing other things in my life.

Sorry, maybe next year they will reinforce the aluminum.

I'd wait until we can get some proper evidence of a widespread issue. If you want to be the poster child for Internet reactionism, be my guest, but I'd wait, particularly if you have experienced no issues yourself.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon

Try with the HTC One M8.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member

There's not much point in screen protectors anymore. Theres not many things that can scratch modern phone screens.

DarkJC

That film isn't really meant to be a screen protector anyway, it's pretty reflective and won't stay on. If she really wants a screen protector she's better off buying one.

20cent

Banned
How can I put my music on my iPhone 6? On my 4, I had the "manually mange your music" option, but that's not there anymore.

I have iTunes Match, but I don't want to download each album over wifi when I could just transfer it from my Mac.

I tried turning iTunes Match off from my iPhone, then the only option I found was "Autofill" or fill from a playlist; but when I turned back on iTunes Match it deleted all the songs from my iPhone.

Looks like we have to deactivate match first, manually drag and drop the music you want on your phone and then turn match on again. This is dumb, it worked before. I hope this is not a new stupid limitation...iTunes bug maybe?

Husker86

iOS really needs an always-there keyboard dismiss button or gesture. Usually tapping outside the keyboard dismisses it, but it doesn't always work, depending on the app.

Vyer

Having the lock button on the side is great for the bigger phone...but I find it a little more awkward for taking quick screenshots.

DOWN

Banned
It actually bends more because it is plastic. The rigidness of aluminum is why, after you bend it, it stays bent.

Oh man. Guess I worded this very poorly.

The Note 3 is plastic and thicker, thus does not permanently bend as much.

Basically, aluminum is malleable, iPhone is thin, and that seems like a risky combo now.

rezuth

The guy in the video shows his phone was bent from just being in his pocket before doing the stress test.

It's probably not going to be a huge deal over time, but don't downplay it as nothing.

He claims that but really we have no idea, jumping to conclusions isn't going to do anything. Only time can tell if there really is a reoccurring issue with the phones.

Top Bottom