• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Question about the battery life on the 6 vs 6+.

I'm currently on a Nexus 4 and am lucky to get 2 hours of screen on time throughout the day. If I'm out of the house and not on WiFi for a more than a couple of hours of the day, then my battery is basically dead by 8 or 9PM.

Will the battery life on the 6 be leaps and bounds better than what I'm experiencing on my Nexus 4? Or will I have to go for the 6+ to see a real improvement in battery life?

Basically I'm down to deciding between a 6 with more storage or a 6+ with a bigger battery. Don't want to pass that $299 subsidized price point.

iPhone 6 will be a massive step up from that.

Question about the battery life on the 6 vs 6+.

I'm currently on a Nexus 4 and am lucky to get 2 hours of screen on time throughout the day. If I'm out of the house and not on WiFi for a more than a couple of hours of the day, then my battery is basically dead by 8 or 9PM.

Will the battery life on the 6 be leaps and bounds better than what I'm experiencing on my Nexus 4? Or will I have to go for the 6+ to see a real improvement in battery life?

Basically I'm down to deciding between a 6 with more storage or a 6+ with a bigger battery. Don't want to pass that $299 subsidized price point.

Had at least 3 hours of screen time on my 6 since this morning. Battery currently at 39%. Not amazing but decent enough.

Jomjom

Banned
T-mobile you incompetent shits. Thought I had canceled my preorder Monday after being told that I may have to wait until 2015 (and at minimum 6 more weeks) despite preordering on the first day. Rep even told me she had successfully canceled it at the end of our phone call. Out of the blue t-mobile sent me an email last night saying they could not cancel because it had processed beyond the point of cancellation. Used "Track By Reference" on the UPS site this morning and apprently my phones will arrive today.

All this without a single notification from Tmobile or even being able to check my order status online, in a store, or by calling a rep. A call to customer care last night revealed my order was STILL backordered despite the phone being in transit already. W.T.F. I guess I should be grateful my 6+s are arriving today though.

Moral of the story: If you ordered directly from Tmo, use track by reference and punch in your ten digit phone number every day!

Jomjom

Banned
PSA:

Only sort of related to the iphone, but if anyone wants to take advantage of our new phone's shiny new wireless AC ability, today is the last day to get one free on rental from TMO. After today you have to give them a $25 deposit. The router is a rebranded ASUS router that supports AC. Call customer care and say you want to take advantage of the free router promotion. Its supposed to be for areas with bad signals so you can use wireless calling when at home, but I got one and I live in Irvine, CA where the signal is fine.

Shipping is free as well. Router model is the Asus TM-AC1900 Dual Band router which supports the new AC standard. Make sure you ask for the router and not the signal booster, because they are also loaning those out for free. When you leave tmobile you have to return the router.

xsarien

daedsiluap
So the Fox and FX apps seem to be completely, unapologetically, Holy Hell Did Anyone Bother Checking Against The Piles of iOS 8 Betas?, broken.

Title screen comes up - if I'm lucky - and it drops me back to the home screen. Judging by all the reviews (and increasing amount of one star reviews), I'm not alone. What's funny is that this is AFTER the update that said they fixed some iOS 8 issues.

So the Fox and FX apps seem to be completely, unapologetically, Holy Hell Did Anyone Bother Checking Against The Piles of iOS 8 Betas?, broken.

Title screen comes up - if I'm lucky - and it drops me back to the home screen. Judging by all the reviews (and increasing amount of one star reviews), I'm not alone. What's funny is that this is AFTER the update that said they fixed some iOS 8 issues.

Nice to see they're just as shitty as they are on Apple TV.

billeh

Loving my Apple Leather case on my IP6 Plus.

Best case. Minimal and still protects. Feels great as well. Had a leather case last over 10+ months on my iPhone 5S without issue. Dropped it numerous times on cement and it never busted or anything.
Ditto, for the 6. Subtle and low profile. I liked the clear Spigen case but it added a bit of girth to the phone. Chances are I'l end up switching around both cases quite a bit.

BunnyBear

Yeah surprised at the number of apps which haven't updated yet. FaceBook is a pixelfest on my iPhone 6.

Anyway, has anyone tried out a Spigen case on their new phone? I was all ready to pull the trigger on a case but they are getting ripped apart on Amazon reviews. Poor build quality and not fitting properly, apparently?

X-Frame

Anyone know if the Grand Central Apple Store is okay to visit today? I know it was obviously a mad house on Friday, but just wondering if I should still expect lines or being shoulder-to-shoulder in the store. Thanks!

matt360

With regard to battery life, is it always a good idea to set up a phone as new rather than restore from a backup?

If I set up as new, won't I lose all game save data that isn't tied to a server somewhere?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Anyone know if the Grand Central Apple Store is okay to visit today? I know it was obviously a mad house on Friday, but just wondering if I should still expect lines or being shoulder-to-shoulder in the store. Thanks!

I tried going to the SoHo store on Sunday just because I wanted a sense of what external hard drives were available (I needed one that day for something I'm working on.)

They had a separate, almost equally long line for people who wanted to buy Not An iPhone 6. Stupid nuts.

Yeah surprised at the number of apps which haven't updated yet. FaceBook is a pixelfest on my iPhone 6.

Anyway, has anyone tried out a Spigen case on their new phone? I was all ready to pull the trigger on a case but they are getting ripped apart on Amazon reviews. Poor build quality and not fitting properly, apparently?

I am waiting another week before placing my order. I have read mixed reports on the initial batch of cases from Spigen.

''So I thought all this ‪#‎bendgate‬ stuff was a massive fake, generated by general Apple-haters...
Until I put my phone on the desk and realized that after only 4 days of use, it doesn't actually lie flush to the desk anymore. Only very slight, but I'm slightly concerned how it might start to look over the coming weeks.''

A post from one of my friends on facebook who was the first I knew to purchase the phone. The bad press this is going to receive is going to be a killer for apple.

jcm

''So I thought all this ‪#‎bendgate‬ stuff was a massive fake, generated by general Apple-haters...
Until I put my phone on the desk and realized that after only 4 days of use, it doesn't actually lie flush to the desk anymore. Only very slight, but I'm slightly concerned how it might start to look over the coming weeks.''

A post from one of my friends on facebook who was the first I knew to purchase the phone. The bad press this is going to receive is going to be a killer for apple.

When i read about the bends I got worried about my regular 6, put it on the table, and noticed it wasn't flat and was rocking slightly. I freaked out until i remembered the stupid camera sticks out. Flipped int onto the front and all is well.

DarkJC

This bendgate (ugh, these names are awful) thing is hilarious. I wear pretty tight jeans and I'm walking around campus all day, sitting in cramped chairs in lectures and whatnot. No bending here.

Everything is just hearsay and anecdotes. The one video is a guy white knuckling his phone to intentionally try and bend it, so I'm not exactly shocked that it bends, that definitely doesn't fit the definition of "fairly easily". The Note 3 he compares it to bends just as much, the difference being that the plastic retains its shape after bending.

iPhones all the way back to the 4 also bent if you did weird shit to them, and you could find tons of images on google images of bent iPhones.

This is getting hugely blown out of proportion as is usual for a new iPhone release.

Number45

This bendgate (ugh, these names are awful) thing is hilarious. I wear pretty tight jeans and I'm walking around campus all day, sitting in cramped chairs in lectures and whatnot. No bending here.

Everything is just hearsay and anecdotes. The one video is a guy white knuckling his phone to intentionally try and bend it, so I'm not exactly shocked that it bends, that definitely doesn't fit the definition of "fairly easily". The Note 3 he compares it to bends just as much, the difference being that the plastic retains its shape after bending.

iPhones all the way back to the 4 also bent if you did weird shit to them, and you could find tons of images on google images of bent iPhones.

This is getting hugely blown out of proportion as is usual for a new iPhone release.
Of course it's being blown out of proportion... but bent iPhone 4? I don't think so.

Easy solution for bendgate: buy a good case
Well of course, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

jcm

Of course it's being blown out of proportion... but bent iPhone 4? I don't think so.

tXRh0HD.jpg

subrock

I still cant believe there was a whatsapp update and all it said was bug fixes with no iPhone 6 resolution fix
Remember that developers have to wait 5-8 days to get an app through the approval process, and you can only have one update in the queue at any given time. They're also probably changing the UI for the 6+

VoxPop

Just got my black Apple Leather Case and it looks fantastic with the Space Grey 6. Looked rather cheap and flimsy due to its thinness when I took it out of the case but once it's on, it looks great. Hope it will prevent any bending :x

Enfinit

Just got my black Apple Leather Case and it looks fantastic with the Space Grey 6. Looked rather cheap and flimsy due to its thinness when I took it out of the case but once it's on, it looks great. Hope it will prevent any bending :x
It should. I've been using it, and I love it as well. It feels very durable when it's on the phone.

LCfiner

I'm trying to understand how a thin plastic or leather case without a solid metal structure will prevent bending when the force required to cause aluminum to bend is much higher than the force needed to bend a case.

Korosenai

For anyone who had an october or november shipping date through ATT, has it been bumped up any, or have you already received your phone? I'm just curious.

just randomly picked up a space gray 6 on my lunch break. i don't know anything about the 6 or ios 8. what do i need to know/is the coolest stuff?

Bacon

I went on monday and had to stand in line for 15 minutes tops and walked out with my iphone 6 plus. Today should be fine. A worker told me that the best time to pick one up is right before closing time - he said there is rarely a line at that time.

Christopher

How do you add AppleCare+ to your phone from the apple website I believe you have to add the iPhone with it at the same time of purchase?

A while ago I had to move a few years worth of Camera Roll photos off my iPhone to make room, and now that I have a 64GB phone I'd like to move them back to the phone and out of Aperture. Is the only way to do that via iTunes? Will I always need to keep those photos saved onto my Macbook in Aperture to avoid messages about removing deleted files in iTunes?

I really wish iCloud Drive was fully fleshed out already.

Man, I don't think the bending stuff is a big deal, but for Gruber to argue that we should be IMPRESSED that the screen still works and didn't shatter after being bent like that....just lol. He even calls it a feature!

John Gruber said:
I cannot believe that this “bent iPhone 6 Plus” thing is becoming a thing. Watch this jackass’s video — inexplicably promoted by Time magazine. Should not we be amazed that his phone didn’t snap in half under this pressure? That the glass didn’t fracture? Under pressure like this, bending but not breaking seems like an extraordinary feature. If you feel pressure like this on your iPhone 6 in your pocket, you need looser pants. And if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, I’m not sure what to tell you.

HUELEN10

Didn't realize you could do that. I tried on the store site but it didn't work so I called.
It was bugged ay of launch, so I had to return to the Apple Store to buy it in-store. once you have it, you can go to any Apple Store to pick up your physical warranty information manual and booklet.

LCfiner

Man, I don't think the bending stuff is a big deal, but for Gruber to argue that we should be IMPRESSED that the screen still works and didn't shatter after being bent like that....just lol. He even calls it a feature!

that's Gruber.

here's the thing, we already saw the leaked screen part undergo some seriously insane bending in the video that hit the web a while ago (last month?). guy putting half under his shoe and bending the rest up to around 45 degrees. nuts. this glass is very resilient. so anyone paying attention would have been impressed at th glass when the video hit but not surprised by it now.

aluminum, on the other hand, once bent won't go back to its original shape if it's bent with a strong force.

Just got mine yesterday, this is the first iPhone that I've ever owned and I'm loving it so far.

Is there any truth to the rumours about it bending in peoples' pockets though?

riotous

Banned
Just got mine yesterday, this is the first iPhone that I've ever owned and I'm loving it so far.

Is there any truth to the rumours about it bending in peoples' pockets though?

You've got probably 1.5-2 million 6+'s in the wild.. a handful of reports of people "claiming" to have it in a loose pocket, never feeling anything, etc. and having it bedn

Far more people claiming they had theirs in their pocket and nothing bent.

Chances are, those with bending incidents did SOMETHING.. however, just looking at the thing you know it's flimsy compared to other devices.

This is a device to be careful with, and that includes considering whether sitting down with it in your pants is going to put stress on the chasis is what I got out of it.

MercuryLS

Banned
Honestly I'm not worried about Bendghazi (lol) for myself at least, my jeans aren't super tight and my 6 seems to be fine so far, no bend at all. I think this might be an issue for some and Apple should address it. It looks like it might be more common on the Plus that is bigger and might be more prone to this.

Regardless, it seems like the thin nature of the phone and a malleable aluminum enclosure might be a problem. Apple going for a very thin phone means there's no stiffening plate in the phone and everything is mounted to the aluminum frame. If they put in a reinforced steel frame inside the phone it would probably mitigate the bending completely...but that would make the phone thicker and heavier. If this becomes widespread they might not have a choice but to do that in future phones.

jts

...hate me...
Leaning more and more towards the regular sized 6.

Shame because the Plus is the "best" iPhone ever.

1080p display
Free orientation homescreen
Multipanel apps
OIS
Multiday battery life

omg that sounds amazing. Like a dream come true.

But it is so poorly designed. It doesn't look good. Where's the sex? The ergonomics seem bad... too damn thin and flat! For a company that used to put ergonomics as the main reason not to go larger with its phones.
And it is kinda easy to bend (sorry, I caved!).
If only it came in slate black, maybe I could overlook some of these.

The sleek hassle-free 6 looking a lot better to me now. Thinking of getting that and maybe even going caseless.

Steve :'(

Addnan

This is going to seem like a really weird thing to want but is there a way to do this on iOS. On Android google kept data on where your phone has been and you can get it plotted on a map. I kinda like to look back on these things.

UTJ3oJC.png

Vooduu

Leaning more and more towards the regular sized 6.

Shame because the Plus is the "best" iPhone ever.

1080p display
Free orientation homescreen
Multipanel apps
OIS
Multiday battery life

omg that sounds amazing. Like a dream come true.

But it is so poorly designed. It doesn't look good. Where's the sex? The ergonomics seem bad... too damn thin and flat! For a company that used to put ergonomics as the main reason not to go larger with its phones.
And it is kinda easy to bend (sorry, I caved!).
If only it came in slate black, maybe I could overlook some of these.

The sleek hassle-free 6 looking a lot better to me now. Thinking of getting that and maybe even going caseless.

Steve :'(

Wow

Is 64gb a must? I've never owned a smart phone before. Is 16gb enough if you don't listen to many MP3s but will use it for movies?

Also, from the replies it seems most got the 6+? Actually it's hard to tell because sometimes people just say "6" and I don't know if it's the + or what.

I'm so excited. This will be my first smart phone ever if all goes according to plan. It's going to change my life by having internet at my fingertips and so forth.

Top Bottom