• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Number45

Is 64gb a must? I've never owned a smart phone before. Is 16gb enough if you don't listen to many MP3s but will use it for movies?

Also, from the replies it seems most got the 6+? Actually it's hard to tell because sometimes people just say "6" and I don't know if it's the + or what.

I'm so excited. This will be my first smart phone ever if all goes according to plan. It's going to change my life by having internet at my fingertips and so forth.
Streaming movies, or storing them locally? If streaming you'll be fine, if storing them then you'll be OK for a few as long as they're not massive. I really think they should have ditched the 16GB this time out.

As for numbers, I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority are on the 6
non plus

Is 64gb a must? I've never owned a smart phone before. Is 16gb enough if you don't listen to many MP3s but will use it for movies?

Also, from the replies it seems most got the 6+? Actually it's hard to tell because sometimes people just say "6" and I don't know if it's the + or what.

I'm so excited. This will be my first smart phone ever if all goes according to plan. It's going to change my life by having internet at my fingertips and so forth.
No, I don't really think it is :/ the OS eats up a few gigs, and depending on the quality of the movies you're copying onto it, you're probably only going to be able to fit 2 - 3, without installing any large apps. Not to mention there could be an iOS 7 - iOS 8 scenario wherein you need a few gigs free to upgrade to iOS 9.

Honestly, Apple should've cut the 16gb model for the 32gb. Most people think they only left it there to encourage people to get the 64gb, rather than the 16gb.

Bowser

Trust me, go for the 64, especially if you plan on putting movies on it. I had always gotten the 16GB version of iPhones, and with apps getting bigger and ~1,000 songs I was bumping up to the limit where I had to delete certain apps and random pics/videos to stay under the limit. For only $100 more, it's easily worth it.

jts

...hate me...
I guess I went there. I think the phone is mind numbingly iterative. Not much critical thought put into its design. Lets go wider. Lets go thinner. Lets basically use the same shell template design we've been using since the iPod touch 5, iPad mini and Air.

I like that it got a curved glass but that's about it.

It does seem to work on the 4.7" model though. It's not so wide so it can be very well gripped one handed, so the slippery thin, flat back stops being a factor.

The general proportions seem right.

Still lacking the slate black color, especially to hide the unsightly antenna breaks. And because it's the best color ever.

That's just my current personal take on it, I'm usually a raging Apple fan but this is getting to me.

RE: Number45, tghm1801, Bowser

I'll go with the 64gb, thanks.

So about the size... is there really a big difference between 6 and 6+ when it comes to fitting in your jeans pocket?

And most people really have the regular 6 not 6+? I'm reading reviews on t-mobile and it seems like people keep referencing the bigger screen, meaning 6+.

I'm so excited lmao. I'm gonna get the gold one btw.

RE: Number45, tghm1801, Bowser

I'll go with the 64gb, thanks.

So about the size... is there really a big difference between 6 and 6+ when it comes to fitting in your jeans pocket?

And most people really have the regular 6 not 6+? I'm reading reviews on t-mobile and it seems like people keep referencing the bigger screen.

I'm so excited lmao. I'm gonna get the gold one btw.
Apparently yes, and one thing to consider is that it is incredibly difficult to use the 6+ one handed - apparently. I have a 6 so can't say for sure, but the 6 pushes the limits of one handedness imo. While out texting + walking at the same time, I sometimes feel like I'm not getting a complete grip.

Either way, I'm happy for you :) hope you enjoy it!

I still cant believe there was a whatsapp update and all it said was bug fixes with no iPhone 6 resolution fix

I know, I thought it is up for the new iPhone resolutions but apparently not. As for the App itself, I still think it is not well optimized for the iPhone, takes so much of my battery.

You have 60 days, but the easiest way is to do it straight from the Apple Store app!

I thought for the iPhone it is only 30 days to buy Apple Care. Correct me if I am wrong.

Ninja Dom

Oh shit, new discovery on my iPhone 6.

In Safari, if you have the phone landscape and switch tabs, each tab has its own separate tab thumbnail on the screen. Different to the filing card effect when the phone is held portrait.

Having been spoiled by the 32GB Android phones I've been using over the past few years and , my 32GB iPhone 5, I think it is.

I don't even put any movies on mine, it is strictly for music and photos, keep in mind I do take tons of photos and I get a bunch from my friends as well, mostly through WhatsApp. If you like listening to music and you carry it around in your car or use the daily transit, I think you will have to upgrade to the 64GB. The app sizes have gone up substantially as well in the past few years.

Bowser

I thought for the iPhone it is only 30 days to buy Apple Care. Correct me if I am wrong.

It's 60 days:

How to get AppleCare+
Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.

Buy it within 60 days of your iPhone purchase. Your iPhone purchase date is the date we ship and charge you for your order:

*At an Apple Retail Store (requires inspection of your iPhone and proof of purchase)
*By calling (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A/applecare-for-iphone

Apparently yes, and one thing to consider is that it is incredibly difficult to use the 6+ one handed - apparently. I have a 6 so can't say for sure, but the 6 pushes the limits of one handedness imo. While out texting + walking at the same time, I sometimes feel like I'm not getting a complete grip.

Either way, I'm happy for you :) hope you enjoy it!

Ok, I'll get regular 6 then. Texting with one hand is very important to me.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oh shit, new discovery on my iPhone 6.

In Safari, if you have the phone landscape and switch tabs, each tab has its own separate tab thumbnail on the screen. Different to the filing card effect when the phone is held portrait.

It also has a dual pane view that looks great. I don't get why they can't do that for other apps like mail. There's enough room to do it on the 6.

Mdot

Not sure if this has been covered already, but I'm having trouble getting all of my photos from the iCloud to load up on my iPhone 6. I know they're in a different place under photos now instead of the old Photo Stream (Photos->Collections, etc), but it's only showing like 50 or so of them. I thought at first it was a timing thing and had to wait till they were loaded up over wi-fi, but they're still not showing.

Anybody experience this or know of a fix other than taking them off of my old phone and moving them over?

RE: data plan

So for tmobile, a 5gb per month of LTE is $20. Then the next one is 7gb for $30. Is 5gb enough for heavy web surfing and a decent amount of streaming and downloading of apps?

Mdot

So for tmobile, a 5gb per month of LTE is $20. Then the next one is 7gb for $30. Is 5gb enough for heavy web surfing and a decent amount of streaming and downloading of apps?

I use Spotify a lot during my work day and my data fluctuates between 4 and 6 gbs. Last month it hit 8 for some reason, but I have unlimited with AT&T

Jomjom

Banned

In my opinion 128gb is a must. To be honest I wish they had made a 256gb model because I'll quickly run out of storage on the 128gb as well.

I do heavy web surfing, but I almost never stream. 2.5gb is just barely enough for me. I also occasionally download and update apps on LTE. If you stream A LOT, I would go for the 7gb.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I use Spotify a lot during my work day and my data fluctuates between 4 and 6 gbs. Last month it hit 8 for some reason, but I have unlimited with AT&T

I have unlimited as well, but got a warning because I hit 3GB this month. What the fuck?

In my opinion 128gb is a must. To be honest I wish they had made a 256gb model because I'll quickly run out of storage on the 128gb as well.
What do you put on there, if you don't mind me asking?
My 4S was 64gb and in the two years I've had it, I reached about 30gb. It's full of apps and music.

MRSA

Banned

Unlimited LTE is $30 on T-Mobile. If you're switching to T-Mobile find someone to refer you so you can get free unlimited LTE for a year.

Jomjom

Banned
What do you put on there, if you don't mind me asking?
My 4S was 64gb and in the two years I've had it, I reached about 30gb. It's full of apps and music.

Every single game I've bought is on there. I also have loads of apps on it TV and whatnot. Also have a mess load of other apps. Also put pretty much every movie I have from Blu-ray Digital Copies on there. Stuff like that that's near a GB or more, I hate deleting and redownloading it later when I need it. I NEED TO HAVE BACK TO THE FUTURE 1-3 ON MY PHONES AT ALL TIMES!

On top of that I have about 50gb just in music. This is not even counting all of my videogame podcasts. I don't have a huge data plan, so I can't stream them all the time.

Still have a bunch of movies I can't fit on there. Had to delete some stuff just to update to iOS 8 since it temporarily required 4.8gb or whatever. Feels bad.

Every single game I've bought is on there. I also have loads of apps on it TV and whatnot. Also have a mess load of other apps. Also put pretty much every movie I have from Blu-ray Digital Copies on there. Stuff like that that's near a GB or more, I hate deleting and redownloading it later when I need it. I NEED TO HAVE BACK TO THE FUTURE 1-3 ON MY PHONES AT ALL TIMES!

On top of that I have about 50gb just in music. This is not even counting all of my videogame podcasts. I don't have a huge data plan, so I can't stream them all the time.

Still have a bunch of movies I can't fit on there. Had to delete some stuff just to update to iOS 8 since it temporarily required 4.8gb or whatever. Feels bad.
Aah, alright :p

Jomjom

Banned
Aah, alright :p

Yeah it's not normal and probably doesn't apply to most other people, but like I said it was in my opinion. I really wish Apple would copy the Android phones for just one more thing, allowing the use of microsd cards. They are starting to make 512gb cards now. If I could have 640gb in my iPhone I would be in heaven!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hmm, never got a warning or noticed any throttling honestly.

This is the first time it has happened and I just logged into my account and it still says Unlimited Data so who knows.

The whole reason I use so much data is because the wifi is broken on my 4S.

Ok, so my iPhone 6 plus is new, I look into iCloud backup, and I have some weird "Keyboards (Chinese and Japanese") app with no icon. Do you have the same ?

I can't remove the damn thing.

LCzIQL3.jpg

Any idea ?

xsarien

daedsiluap
This is going to seem like a really weird thing to want but is there a way to do this on iOS. On Android google kept data on where your phone has been and you can get it plotted on a map. I kinda like to look back on these things.

UTJ3oJC.png

Buried in the privacy settings - complete with a switch to turn it off - is a list of frequent locations. It's not really a user-facing feature as just a visualization of the phone sending anonymized location data back to Apple to "improve Apple Maps."

It's not really something you can *use*. It's a fixed zoom at the list level and at the detail level. You can't open anything in the proper Maps app.

Mdot

Just bumping this real quick to see if anybody knows:

Not sure if this has been covered already, but I'm having trouble getting all of my photos from the iCloud to load up on my iPhone 6. I know they're in a different place under photos now instead of the old Photo Stream (Photos->Collections, etc), but it's only showing like 50 or so of them. I thought at first it was a timing thing and had to wait till they were loaded up over wi-fi, but they're still not showing.

Anybody experience this or know of a fix other than taking them off of my old phone and moving them over?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so my iPhone 6 plus is new, I look into iCloud backup, and I have some weird "Keyboards (Chinese and Japanese") app with no icon. Do you have the same ?

Any idea ?
Possibly the emoji keyboard? It was originally only supported in Japan.

CrankyJay

Banned
As a 5S owner, I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with the 6 and 6+....I think overall I don't like the look or feel of the phone. The rounded edges actually make it uncomfortable to hold for me.

Bacon

Everyone I have run into today that has seen me with my 6 plus has mentioned the bending thing. This is legitimate news that is making it to the masses. It may not be a widespread issue but it is definitely resonating.

Leaning more and more towards the regular sized 6.

Shame because the Plus is the "best" iPhone ever.

1080p display
Free orientation homescreen
Multipanel apps
OIS
Multiday battery life

omg that sounds amazing. Like a dream come true.

But it is so poorly designed. It doesn't look good. Where's the sex? The ergonomics seem bad... too damn thin and flat! For a company that used to put ergonomics as the main reason not to go larger with its phones.
And it is kinda easy to bend (sorry, I caved!).
If only it came in slate black, maybe I could overlook some of these.

The sleek hassle-free 6 looking a lot better to me now. Thinking of getting that and maybe even going caseless.

Steve :'(

This is a joke post, right?

Actually get the phone. It's beautiful, and very comfortable to hold.

As a 5S owner, I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed with the 6 and 6+....I think overall I don't like the look or feel of the phone. The rounded edges actually make it uncomfortable to hold for me.

And somehow it's even more slippery than ever before! Also, I would have preferred stainless steel that was a bit heavier
and doesn't bend

I used 16gb in one day setting up my phone so I'm very glad that I went with the 64gb. This is my first smartphone too! However I did have an iPad which may contribute to me using up so much space. If you know that you will download apps and don't feel like wanting to delete them, the 64gb is a no brainer.

Ninja Dom

Any idea ?

I have that too. It's got to be that those keyboards can have finger stroke stylus style writing. So it remembers and backs up your finger strokes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Apple Store lets you take the phones off the pedestal and hold them. Don't know of others.

Yup. You can test out the weight and feel of the device without some kind of massive security protection device attached. You can even put them in your pocket if you please.

hitsugi

Looks like if you buy it directly from Apple for T-Mobile, you can't do T-Mobile's financing on it. You could get a Barclay card to finance it, though.... I'm tempted to do that instead of wait another 4 weeks for T-Mobile.

Aske

Leaning more and more towards the regular sized 6.

Shame because the Plus is the "best" iPhone ever.

1080p display
Free orientation homescreen
Multipanel apps
OIS
Multiday battery life

omg that sounds amazing. Like a dream come true.

But it is so poorly designed. It doesn't look good. Where's the sex? The ergonomics seem bad... too damn thin and flat! For a company that used to put ergonomics as the main reason not to go larger with its phones.

Really glad so many people are loving their 5.5s, but this was exactly my thought: "Where's the sex?"

Limiting the changes purely to scaling up the 4.7 was a bad design call.

Top Bottom