• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

dream

Totally anecdotal, but I teach a class. This morning I walked in, everyone was talking about the phones. Almost everyone seemed to want the big one.

I think there will be some large age differences in who is getting the big phone and who gets the smaller phone

I just had the same experience. It's interesting that for us, the reaction is "fuck, it's so big," whereas for the 18, 19, 20 year olds, it's "cool, it's so big!"

BearPawB

Banned
You mean it wasn't full of people saying how awkwardly huge they were (that seems to be the consensus where I work, but the average employee is older with kids)? Somewhat surprising, perhaps the demographics between the two are more balanced overall than I guessed...

Yeah, it was a whole gaggle of junior level sorority and fraternity guys and gals.
I think there is something about the younger generation that is more willing to draw attention to themselves with big phones

BFIB

This. It's a fucking phone. Why are there grown ass people that HATE on a phone? I don't understand. I personally don't like Android, but I don't shit up Android threads with how bad I think Android products are.

Mofo's got a serious chip on their shoulder about it.

Yep, nailed it perfectly. I had the orignial iPhone, 3G, 4 and 4S before finally dabbling in android with the S3, and haven't left Android since. Not that I won't return to Apple some day, but right now, I really like what Android offers.

Competition does nothing but benefit the consumer, so I don't get why anyone would hate on new products that push everything forward.

I will admit though, the only thing that really drives me nuts isn't Apple themselves, its the journalists who scoff at anything anyone else does, until apple does it. Then, its like its a brand new world. The comparisions on reviews from the Note 3 and the iPhone 6 Plus are going to be hilarious, as well as those on the iPhone 6 screen resolution, and the comparisons on reviews to other Android phones that have the same resolution on 4.7 screens.

Bacon

Totally anecdotal, but I teach a class. This morning I walked in, everyone was talking about the phones. Almost everyone seemed to want the big one.

I think there will be some large age differences in who is getting the big phone and who gets the smaller phone

My circle of friends were all talking before the announcement saying none of them would want the big iPhone. Every one of them except for one changed their minds and now want the big one. I can't explain it.

Yep, nailed it perfectly. I had the orignial iPhone, 3G, 4 and 4S before finally dabbling in android with the S3, and haven't left Android since. Not that I won't return to Apple some day, but right now, I really like what Android offers.

Competition does nothing but benefit the consumer, so I don't get why anyone would hate on new products that push everything forward.

I will admit though, the only thing that really drives me nuts isn't Apple themselves, its the journalists who scoff at anything anyone else does, until apple does it. Then, its like its a brand new world. The comparisions on reviews from the Note 3 and the iPhone 6 Plus are going to be hilarious, as well as those on the iPhone 6 screen resolution, and the comparisons on reviews to other Android phones that have the same resolution on 4.7 screens.

This is a totally fair criticism. Journalist are way worse when it comes to this than the iPhone buying public is.

Curufinwe

Yeah, it was a whole gaggle of junior level sorority and fraternity guys and gals.
I think there is something about the younger generation that is more willing to draw attention to themselves with big phones

I don't mind attention, but I don't want a phone so big it barely fits in my pants pocket.

kaskade

That would definitely be the case if true. But "worse" may still be 60fps for most things, the phones are pretty fast nowadays and apps/games generally target specs for 2+ generations past. Anandtech's review will definitely point out such things though.

Yeah I kind of figured that. I gotta say I enjoy the point phones are at now, at least with iOS. I feel like it does everything I want it to very smoothly. If I didn't want the larger screen I probably wouldn't mind sticking with the 5s.

BearPawB

Banned
I don't mind attention, but I don't want a phone so big it barely fits in my pants pocket.

my biggest concern is working out with one on me.

When i run, i usually have my phone in hand.
When I bike, i use an app to track my ride.

Not sure if i want to start carrying around a backpack for my phone.

Anyone with a note work out with it on their person?

knicks

I'm still laughing my ass off and shaking my head at the same time. Paying out the ass, far beyond acceptable premium price, for a non OLED, sub 1080p device, that finally has features that the competition has had for years. And dat 1 GB of RAM. Let's see how well optimized iOS 8 and that "new" CPU is. Whatever...Enjoy...

So disappointing. I was hoping for real competition. I expected better from them, as an Android fan. Apple is such bullshit and they know it. They don't care either. They will pump stupid amounts of money into marketing and people will buy their crap anyway :/

As someone who has had an iPhone 5 for two years, and an iPhone 4 two years before that, you're absolutely right.

It's asinine seeing people refute your statements and calling you "mad."

Mad is a perfect description to what Apple unleashed yesterday. The 6 is the biggest bullshit in the world it's not even funny.

subrock

My circle of friends were all talking before the announcement saying none of them would want the big iPhone. Every one of them except for one changed their minds and now want the big one. I can't explain it.
I hate the size of the 5.5" and have always said I would never get a phone that big. I will be getting the 6 plus because of the battery.

Curufinwe

I think it helps me too that my iPhone 5 is still perfectly serviceable, where 2 years after owning the 4, it was dragging pretty bad and the slower speed was definitely apparent (so if I have to wait an extra week or more it's not bad). I'm expecting this to be true of others as well, people who have the 4S/5 probably are still satisfied with it, more than in the past. And the seemingly gigantic size (and extra cost) of the 6 Plus will probably help it stay in stock rather than hurt it, as not everyone want's to spend $400+ on a subsidized phone (with taxes and activation fees it'll probably be closer to $600).

I can't speak for all 4S owners, but the tiny screen and lack of 4G have been a real pain in the ass. I'm just glad it seems like Gamestop or Apple's recycling partner will give me over $100 for it.

I still can't get over the fact that the most interesting size (4.7") doesn't have a 1080p display.

Yea, I really prefer the 4.7 in terms of screen size but the 6+ is just a better device. Better screen, better battery life. I will need to actually buy new jeans to fit that thing in my pocket, lol.

rokkerkory

I can't speak for all 4S owners, but the tiny screen and lack of 4G have been a real pain in the ass. I'm just glad it seems like Gamestop or Apple's recycling partner will give me over $100 for it.

4S owner here too and not sure what to do at this point.

I have to buy phone outright because work pays for the service.

$750 for base model 6 is hard to swallow

xsarien

daedsiluap

I'm sure there's some marketing document that really breaks it down, too. Younger people who may not be able to afford a phone and a tablet may want the bigger version to kind of have both worlds, whereas people who own a tablet see a big screen as completely redundant. I personally treat my iPhone very much as a pocket computer. I don't want or need or even remotely desire a bigger screen. It's a device perfectly suited to giving me information, both passive and interactive, suited to when I'm out and about, away from home.

Plus a million other reasons. I'm nearly on the same page as Gruber, with the added statement on my side that it's weird to see Apple bend to what the users are asking for; that's very much a Tim Cook thing. Jobs' Apple didn't seem to give a crap about what you thought.

From Daring Fireball:
Some people want to buy them. It doesn’t matter why. For some it might be games. For others, being able to carry one device as a hybrid phone/tablet. For others, it might be about reading — making the iPhone more usable as an e-book reader. It doesn’t matter what the reasons are. The simple fact is that many people want huge phones — not just bigger ones, but huge ones — and they’re willing to pay a premium for them. Apple has played a one-size-fits-all game for seven iPhone generations. The market shows that one size does not fit all. I don’t know that they should have done it sooner, but it certainly feels like the time for multiple iPhone sizes has come.

So the best way to pre order on Friday is using the apple itunes app on your iphone or ipad? Sorry kind of confused.

Looking for clarification on this too. I want dat plus.

In my experience, use the Apple Store App (should look like either a shopping cart or shopping bag - depends if you updated the app or not) on the iPhone/iPad. There should be something on the main page that says "check eligibility" and from there, enter your info. To speed things up, link up your CC info prior to preordering.

Mononoke

Banned
In my experience, use the Apple Store App (should look like either a shopping cart or shopping bag - depends if you updated the app or not) on the iPhone/iPad. There should be something on the main page that says "check eligibility" and from there, enter your info. To speed things up, link up your CC info prior to preordering.

Alright. I'll have to check up on this before it's go time. I've never used the app before during a phone launch. So I didn't even know you could buy physical items through it (thought it was only for music and movies/ digital goods).

Terrell

I think a certain aspect of this is valid, and there's 2 parts to why:

1) many the sites still separate people based on what they report, creating a journalistic echo chamber on everything they report on

2) when journalists see tech, everything sounds great on paper but can often fail in practice. Apple does a good job of presenting a usability scenario and has a track record of doing things that sound the same on paper but can end up different (sometimes much better) in practice. For example, they show off the screen and immediately roll into UI elements to address concerns over one-hand usage. There's less of a barrier of understanding there. Google Wallet vs. Apple Pay is the same way, they detailed how the process is designed differently and why people will care more about it.

Just a guess though. It's hard to understand what makes a journalist tick nowadays. And some of what they do is still beyond stupid.

kingocfs

Because now theres one less reason for consumers to choose Android devices.

I'm no expert but I feel like mentioning the iPhone at all is a terrible idea for an advertisement. Especially that HTC one...

"Bigger screen. Better performance. Elegant design. Welcome to the party #iPhone6"

WTF. Are they trying to sell iPhones?

Blackhead

Redarse
I've bookmarked a few threads over the years with Gaffers claiming:
a) Apple will never make a large phone
b) 5"+ is too big
c) Apple will never do 1080p; 316dpi is more enough
d) iPhone will never have NFC; bluetooth is better
e) Apple payments will use bluetooth not NFC
and so.

The day has finally come to deliver claimchowder and... I'm underwhelmed. I expected Apple to improve on the UI for the larger iPhones — instead all we get is a 'one-handed' move copied from Samsung. meh.

This will be the first iPhone since the 3G that I will not attempt to buy as close to launch as possible (not even to try it out and return it). One reason is because the payments feature, is still USA-only. Partly it's because the unsubsidized phone is so expensive; here the 64GB iPhone6+ cost $1,100 after tax. And Apple is still playing catchup, I'm still waiting for transit directions in their maps app. The only thing that excites me is the AppleWatch. So I'm probably going to wait until the new year when that comes out before picking up both together (I expect both combined will cost more than my Macbook Pro Retina). While I wait, there's a very tempting moto360 that I just have to try...

numble

Only because other Android vendors have taken some of their share. Overall Android sales are up.
Yes, vendors in the low end of the market. The #3 and #4 positions at IDC are Huawei and Lenovo, whose share is from the low end of the market. At the high end, they are competing with Apple. If you think vendors are happy ceding away the high end to Apple, and the low end to Chinese OEMs, buy some shares in HTC, LG, and Samsung (Hint: they are in the red this year while the overall stock market is up a lot).

xsarien

daedsiluap

I know this is a really touchy issue, but please, just hear me out. :)
Craig Federighi summed up Apple in something much less douchy than Apple's "A thousand No's for every yes" ad.

"New? New is easy. Right is hard."

Apple Pay is a great example. No one, not even Apple is denying that Google Wallet's been around for years. But it's secured with a PIN. A PIN is something you can learn from a glance. So all I need to do is watch you pay, then steal your phone, then go on a spending spree before you have a chance to shut that thing down.

As of the iPhone 5s, Apple has had a (very) fast fingerprint scanner available (so far, only to them) to verify the identity of the user. It also happens to be faster than entering a PIN. And that's the real game Apple plays: Until the technology can be made as transparent as possible, they're not going to consider it "ready." That also explains the disconnect you see in the press between "Android already had this!" and "OMG APPLE HAS IT YES!"

The general opinion - and feel free to disagree - is that if Apple's doing it, they've removed the big pain points that were otherwise stifling it on other platforms.

Deku Tree

I've bookmarked a few threads over the years with Gaffers claiming:
a) Apple will never make a large phone
b) 5"+ is too big
c) Apple will never do 1080p; 316dpi is more enough
d) iPhone will never have NFC; bluetooth is better
e) Apple payments will use bluetooth not NFC
and so.

The day has finally come to deliver claimchowder and... I'm underwhelmed. I expected Apple to improve on the UI for the larger iPhones — instead all we get is a 'one-handed' move copied from Samsung. meh.

This will be the first iPhone since the 3G that I will not attempt to buy as close to launch as possible (not even to try it out and return it). One reason is because the payments feature, is still USA-only. Partly it's because the unsubsidized phone is so expensive; here the 64GB iPhone6+ cost $1,100 after tax. And Apple is still playing catchup, I'm still waiting for transit directions in their maps app. The only thing that excites me is the AppleWatch. So I'm probably going to wait until the new year when that comes out before picking up both together (I expect both combined will cost more than my Macbook Pro Retina). While I wait, there's a very tempting moto360 that I just have to try...

Did you bookmark threads of lots of people "waiting for next year's 2GB ram upgrade"?

Zach Honig ‏@ZachHonig 17h
Dude opening his embargoed iPhone review units (TWO!) on the plane. And showing them off.

Even showing off the NDA itself! Apparently we'll be seeing reviews on Tuesday, September 16th.

I'm no expert but I feel like mentioning the iPhone at all is a terrible idea for an advertisement. Especially that HTC one...

"Bigger screen. Better performance. Elegant design. Welcome to the party #iPhone6"

WTF. Are they trying to sell iPhones?

LOL seriously. Next, they'll advertise iOS 8's customization and widgets and better notifications.

Might as well link to the pre order page.

Smidget

Dude opening his embargoed iPhone review units (TWO!) on the plane. And showing them off.

Even showing off the NDA itself! Apparently we'll be seeing reviews on Tuesday, September 16th.

Thanks for the info :)

Deku Tree

Plz tell us how much RAM is in the 6 Plus Zach. Do a geek bench.

Jb

I just had the same experience. It's interesting that for us, the reaction is "fuck, it's so big," whereas for the 18, 19, 20 year olds, it's "cool, it's so big!"

I think it's the fact that a phone that big means you don't necessarily need a tablet on the side to watch videos and browse the web at home. I know that's why I avoid watching long format YT stuff on my phone and wait till I have access to a bigger screen.
That said I'm still going to go for the regular one, I put my phone in my short's back pocket when I run and one this big would probably be too heavy and cumbersome.

Zutroy

We printed out the size guide at work today and all laughed! I can't believe people want a device that size in their pocket!

Ty4on

my biggest concern is working out with one on me.

When i run, i usually have my phone in hand.
When I bike, i use an app to track my ride.

Not sure if i want to start carrying around a backpack for my phone.

Anyone with a note work out with it on their person?

Reminded me of my iPod Touch (first gen) feeling like a big brick while running. How times have changed :p

Depends a lot on what you are wearing. The big size might hinder movement and be an advantage, but I have no experience with it.

Terrell

We printed out the size guide at work today and all laughed! I can't believe people want a device that size in their pocket!
I rarely see someone without a bag nowadays (which is where the phone is stowed) primarily because skinny jeans make pockets more of a decorative feature than a useful one and that's the in style now.

-PXG-

As someone who has had an iPhone 5 for two years, and an iPhone 4 two years before that, you're absolutely right.

It's asinine seeing people refute your statements and calling you "mad."

Mad is a perfect description to what Apple unleashed yesterday. The 6 is the biggest bullshit in the world it's not even funny.

I just hope Google and Android OEMs can generate enough competition from amongst one another in order to avoid stagnation and lame incremental updates. Clearly they aren't getting any fire under their asses from Apple anymore.

I might be an Android nut but I do want Apple to do well. I want them to do great things for the sake of all mobile devices and those who love them. But this doesn't cut it. They can do better. You guys know that. Don't settle for this.

I think most people know most of these features were available elsewhere for quite awhile, but they will eat it up because they never wanted to leave the Apple ecosystem and have been waiting for those features to hit the iPhone line.

This. I'm invested in the Apple ecosystem w/ purchased apps, music, movies, saved app data, iPhotos, contacts and I don't want to spend the time, effort, and money in order to transition to a new platform that has a few features that I may or may not like in regards to *how* they're implemented. I'd rather wait for Apple to do it.

Top Bottom