• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Takosuke

You can always order it and then cancel the order if you find one in stores before it ships. That's what I did today.

Can you do that if you ordered one through AT&T?

Mine is supposed to ship around the 29th but there are some available at the apple stores nearby.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm looking forward to 128GB but haven't ordered one yet. Some reason I think I can get the phone sooner by just checking than I would waiting a month for the phone to ship.

What are you using the 128GB for? I have a 64GB phone now, use the space mostly for music

Yeah, I got the 128GB mainly for music. Don't want to rely on cloud streaming for music -- can always play music wherever I am, saves battery life, and is better for data reasons.

Pastry

Banned
Can you do that if you ordered one through AT&T?

Mine is supposed to ship around the 29th but there are some available at the apple stores nearby.

I think so? I ordered mine through Apple today but I'm paying for it through AT&T. If I can't cancel it then oh well I still have one coming in three weeks.

Anyone know if you can cancel orders like these?

RoKKeR

So I haven't been able to figure out why Mail isn't automatically gathering data/giving me notifications when email comes in. I have 'Fetch' switched to on but it only updates and searches for new Mail when I enter the app.

Am I missing something here?

Bloodrage

Banned
Pretty slim, they're extremely hard to come by in stores at the moment.
Yeah I thought so. I'm just gonna order one now.

I'm looking forward to 128GB but haven't ordered one yet. Some reason I think I can get the phone sooner by just checking than I would waiting a month for the phone to ship.

What are you using the 128GB for? I have a 64GB phone now, use the space mostly for music
Same here. I have a lot of lossless music I'd like to have with me at all times. 128GB seems decent enough.

reKon

Banned
Anyone here ever use a matte screen protector on their phone? If so did it work out well after using it for an extended time?

Septimus

Toronto here. Ordered a 64GB Space Grey 6+ at like 4am the day of the preorder mess. It gave me the standard 3-4 weeks with estimated dates of Oct. 16 - 23.

But as of just recently it switched to preparing for shipment and removed the ability to cancel. Same ETA though.. Hope that changes soon!

So I haven't been able to figure out why Mail isn't automatically gathering data/giving me notifications when email comes in. I have 'Fetch' switched to on but it only updates and searches for new Mail when I enter the app.

Am I missing something here?

On the screen you set it to 'Fetch', scroll down and check what option you have selected for "Fetch' It may be set to manual or hourly or something.

So I was at a voice recording session at work today, talking with one of the audio tech guys and showing each other short films we've made on our phones. Dude from the company I work for comes up and goes, "Hey is that one of the new iPhones? Did you get one of the bent ones?" I said no, I keep it in cargo shorts so it's not a problem and he cuts me off saying "Yeah I've been thinking about ordering one but I want a bent one. Can I order it pre-bent from Apple? They should rename it to the iPhone Bend." I joked that the logo should have the little square that usually has the S in it but this time it has a bent line, and that I prefer my phones to be bent away from my face anyway to keep the radiation away. But in my head I'm thinking, "Wow, are you really serious dude?"

Then later I'm reading and my producer looks over and sees the absurd size of my phone and it makes him laugh, people turn and he goes "Sorry, I'm just laughing at how comically huge his phone is." And the same guy from before just starts right in a again with "YEAH I WAS ASKING HIM IF IT WAS A BENT ONE I WANT A BENT ONE."

What the fuck makes people act like this in real life? Like I don't care about the producer, I agree the Plus is ridiculously huge. But the other guy just interrupting me out of nowhere to talk shit while I'm having a conversation with someone else? Seriously fucking obnoxious.

reKon

Banned
Yes and no, they suck; when you get to these pixel densities, matte kinda ruins things.

Does it really affect it that much? Like is stuff on the screen that hard to read? I remember using my friends once on his phone. It looked cool and felt great, but I don't remember how the screen looked because I wasn't trying to use it.

I have an opportunity to exchange my iPhone 6 for a plus. The iPhone 6 fits perfectly in my hand but I'm considering the switch...

I had an opportunity to play with the plus in the apple store, but I still can't grasp the impression of using a big phone daily.

How's neogaf liking their 6 plus?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Fucking safari is a battery hog. 6+ has great battery life but it could be miles better if Safari can be optimized more.

Part of it is Safari, the other is the constant ticking of your wireless/wifi connection.

Does it really affect it that much? Like is stuff on the screen that hard to read? I remember using my friends once on his phone. It looked cool and felt great, but I don't remember how the screen looked because I wasn't trying to use it.

I have one on a 5S i'm using and it's really, really nice. Nicer than the screen bare, consistent swipe.

Vooduu

Part of it is Safari, the other is the constant ticking of your wireless/wifi connection.

Yea I remember how bad it was on my iPhone 5. I have no idea why Apple hasn't fixed that. Low and constant switching cellular/wifi connections KILL the battery.

Ashhong

yeah, I picked up a 6 last night and a coworker asked me this morning if it was bent, lol.

this kind of story with a new iphone launch is to be expected but it’s a total non issue on the 6 and, after i saw the bend test video on the 6+, it still requires some pretty strong force to bend it. it’s not like just sticking it loose pants is gonna do it. I think the phone needs to fall sideways within the pocket and then get bent in the middle against some beefy thighs for some really high pressure. or maybe against something solid like a chair leg with the leg pinning the phone on the inside.

But that is exactly what a lot people are thinking. It's so annoying and stupid. How could that possibly bend a phone. Stop fucking asking me if my phone is bent damnit

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
So I was at a voice recording session at work today, talking with one of the audio tech guys and showing each other short films we've made on our phones. Dude from the company I work for comes up and goes, "Hey is that one of the new iPhones? Did you get one of the bent ones?" I said no, I keep it in cargo shorts so it's not a problem and he cuts me off saying "Yeah I've been thinking about ordering one but I want a bent one. Can I order it pre-bent from Apple? They should rename it to the iPhone Bend." I joked that the logo should have the little square that usually has the S in it but this time it has a bent line, and that I prefer my phones to be bent away from my face anyway to keep the radiation away. But in my head I'm thinking, "Wow, are you really serious dude?"

Then later I'm reading and my producer looks over and sees the absurd size of my phone and it makes him laugh, people turn and he goes "Sorry, I'm just laughing at how comically huge his phone is." And the same guy from before just starts right in a again with "YEAH I WAS ASKING HIM IF IT WAS A BENT ONE I WANT A BENT ONE."

What the fuck makes people act like this in real life? Like I don't care about the producer, I agree the Plus is ridiculously huge. But the other guy just interrupting me out of nowhere to talk shit while I'm having a conversation with someone else? Seriously fucking obnoxious.

#notallproducers

Bullza2o

Had a chance to play with both models at an AT&T store earlier today. Thought the regular 6 was alright, same size as my Lumia 920 as expected. The Plus wasn't as terribly huge though --I really want it due to the battery, OIS, screen, and resolution but this Bendgate thing is worrying.

I bought this case . Is it sturdy enough to prevent bending?

I have an opportunity to exchange my iPhone 6 for a plus. The iPhone 6 fits perfectly in my hand but I'm considering the switch...

I had an opportunity to play with the plus in the apple store, but I still can't grasp the impression of using a big phone daily.

How's neogaf liking their 6 plus?

Do it! I love my 6+. However I also have big hands and love stupidly giant screens and also don't wear particularly tight jeans, so I'm kinda the best case user.

Any discussion about iPhone 6 / 6+ split?

Doesn't seem to be any hard data, but apparently there are some estimates based on usage:

uDJFcHG.png

Link

iPhone 6 outpacing iPhone 6+ by about 7-to-1 according to this data. Suffice to say iPhone 6 is probably outselling iPhone 6+ by a lot.

Glad to see it too, 6+ is way way too big.

Availability of the 6 plus is probably a big disparity. Buyers settling for the iPhone 6 instead of the plus or buyers unable to exchange their 6 for a plus could be potential factors. You'd have to wait for availability of the phones to normalize before you have any real indication of preference.

Pastry

Banned

Doesn't seem to be any hard data, but apparently there are some estimates based on usage:

uDJFcHG.png

Link

iPhone 6 outpacing iPhone 6+ by about 7-to-1 according to this data. Suffice to say iPhone 6 is probably outselling iPhone 6+ by a lot.

Well if it's any indication 6+ has sold pretty well around here, I haven't been able to find any in San Antonio since it released. When I check availability it shows me Houston and Austin also and there don't ever seen to be any in stock at Apple Stores there either, dunno about DFW.

Minsc

Gold Member

uDJFcHG.png

Link

From my observations at an AT&T store waiting for a couple hours, people who ask about the 6+ around here are told they won't have them in stock until late November (though it's probably sooner). But the 6 has an ETA of ~2 weeks (also probably less). So it's an easy decision as most people don't want to wait 2 months when ordering a phone.

LCfiner

just know that the red leather gets dirty fast. it picks up oils from the hands and any dust and dirt within pockets and gets really dingy and dark around the edges. so it gets dirty in a very uneven manner.

experience from using 5s version of this case.

just know that the red leather gets dirty fast. it picks up oils from the hands and any dust and dirt within pockets and gets really dingy and dark around the edges. so it gets dirty in a very uneven manner.

Yeah, I have a Red Leather iPad case and it got very dirty, very fast, too. That's why I'm thinking of going black this time.

MicH

Yeah, I have a Red Leather iPad case and it got very dirty, very fast, too. That's why I'm thinking of going black this time.
This makes me sad. The red leather case looks phenomenal! Especially on the white iPhone. Oh well, I'm getting the black leather case anyway :)

Toronto here. Ordered a 64GB Space Grey 6+ at like 4am the day of the preorder mess. It gave me the standard 3-4 weeks with estimated dates of Oct. 16 - 23.

But as of just recently it switched to preparing for shipment and removed the ability to cancel. Same ETA though.. Hope that changes soon!
Yup, my 128GB 6+ Silver just switched over to that now. No cancelling out now... time to stop bothering all the Toronoto apple stores.

Cases, on the other hand...just cancelled my silicon one, wondering if I should get a hard case instead this time.

uDJFcHG.png

Link

Considering the plus isn't in stock at any Apple Store in my area, I'd say it's doing pretty well.

Agreed. Still got it for the iPhone 6 plus anyways. This time, I decided to use a leather protector on it and see how it goes.

Yeah I'm logged in and I'm constantly refreshing whether or not anything is available for purchase and pickup but there has been nothing for days (looking for a 6+). That is with searching about 5-6 Apple stores I could get to if needed. I was just wondering if there was some way of seeing if there was a separate inventory list for people just coming in off the street and asking for one.

In Toronto we were basically being told that you needed to make a reservation through the website. If you walked up and they just happened to have stock they would put you through the online reservation system. The Toronto Eaton Centre location only had a lineup for people who had reserves for 6 and 6+ online. You couldn't just stand in a separate line and hope there were extras.

Aske

Well, I am kind of shocked at how readable comics are in Comic Zeal on the 6+. Text is crisp and sharp and everything is readable in fullpage view. I wouldn't say this is the best way to read comics. The iPad Air is still that, but the 6+ more than suffices as my all in one device for this. I am very pleased to discover that I will be able to read comic books on my iPhone without any problems.

Thanks for doing further testing. I completely agree. Comics are absolutely readable on the Plus; it really is a perfectly sized all-in-one device. If it was marketed as a Phablet or Micro Tablet, and given a unique design language to set it apart from the iPhone, no one would have a negative thing to say about the size. For some people, it's just too huge to primarily serve as a phone; and sad to say I'm one of those people. But I'll be very tempted to buy a 5.5" iOS device that's designed to be a tablet that makes my phone obsolete.

I think Apple's greatest achievement with both 6s has been to absolutely nail their sizes. I've learned I'd never want to go bigger than 4.7" for a device that's primarily a phone, and I'd never want to go smaller than 5.5" for a device that's primarily a tablet. I couldn't believe how pleasant it was to read comics on that screen; and I found 4.7" to be absolutely perfect in my hand while being just small enough to be every bit as portable as a 4S.

komplanen

This bit somehow struck really odd. You're literally happy the regular phone is selling more because you like it more?

Also on a side note I love that username. I'm not native english-speaker so I only recently learned what it means and this is the second time I've seen it used.

Did Apple say anything about the bend-gate?

I wana get the 4.7 and my friend wants the Plus, but we always avoid first batches of anything if possible, so I wana know if Apple will address that issue

Curufinwe

There was a 40-something douche at my work who kept rambling about how dumb Apple products were during the live stream and making lame jokes. I guess a lot of his self worth is attached to using an Android phone, which is pretty sad.

The Mule

Anyone here ever use a matte screen protector on their phone? If so did it work out well after using it for an extended time?

it's a nice texture on your figure tips for using the touch screen. it affects the view a little bit, but only if you really look for it.

Top Bottom