• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

a916

10+ million people own these phones. There is no bend gate lol. Just get it if you want it.

Can people stop throwing this figure around? We have no clue how many people actually have their phones and we have no idea what the 8 or so people with "bendgate" represent as a percentage. It's not 8/10000000.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You straight up said you don't want Apple to focus on larger phones. If Apple doesn't focus on larger phones, they don't get made.

If you guys weren't speaking negatively of the 6 Plus why bring it up in the first place? Why not just say "I'm glad the 6 is doing well, and I hope they continue with that form factor in the future" instead of "good, it's outselling the 6 Plus. I hope they don't focus on large phones"?

Or both sizes do, like they are currently? I didn't say that I want them to focus only on the smaller size, I just said that if larger phone sizes massively outsell the smaller ones for four years then it's likely that they'll abandon the smaller size by the next time I upgrade. I prefer the 6 (and so I bought that model) and I'm glad that it's selling well as it's reassuring me that I'll be able to have that option in the future.

I probably shouldn't have said I'm glad it's selling better than the 6+, but I also said that the sales are largely irrelevant at this point due to supply not meeting demand (meaning that sales of the 6+ will probably increase). I'm glad that you enjoy your 6+, I didn't mean to imply that it was worse or anything, or that Apple should stop making them.

ZeroX03

Banned
Can people stop throwing this figure around? We have no clue how many people actually have their phones and we have no idea what the 8 or so people with "bendgate" represent as a percentage. It's not 8/10000000.

It's ten million sold not shipped, stock is very limited worldwide and whatever comes in is being sold daily, it's pretty likely they're at or around ten million active units worldwide (more markets launch tomorrow too which will kick it up). Even including scalpers, there probably aren't millions of people just sitting there with their phones unused.

You straight up said you don't want Apple to focus on larger phones. If Apple doesn't focus on larger phones, they don't get made.

If you guys weren't speaking negatively of the 6 Plus why bring it up in the first place? Why not just say "I'm glad the 6 is doing well, and I hope they continue with that form factor in the future" instead of "good, it's outselling the 6 Plus. I hope they don't focus on large phones"?

The 3.5-inch iPhone 4 did really well. Record-breaking sales at the time actually. They discontinued the 3.5-inch form factor.

The 4-inch iPhone 5 did really well too. Record-breaking sales at the time actually. They discontinued the 4-inch form factor.

It's not enough for the 6 to sell well. The consumers has to, by-and-large, reject the 6+ in favor of the 6. (note that in this scenario Apple will most likely keep making the 5.5-inch phone. I'm not hoping for it to be discontinued). If the 6+ becomes more popular I fear the trend of discontinuing current sizes in favor of larger sizes will continue.

Nor is it 10000000/10000000 that people are making it out to be. Even if you times it by 100 or 1000 (800/8000) you're still talking that the overwhelming majority of phones are working just fine.

The 3.5-inch iPhone 4 did really well. Record-breaking sales at the time actually. They discontinued the 3.5-inch form factor.

The 4-inch iPhone 5 did really well too. Record-breaking sales at the time actually. They discontinued the 4-inch form factor.

It's not enough for the 6 to sell well. The consumers has to, by-and-large, reject the 6+ in favor of the 6. (note that in this scenario Apple will most likely keep making the 5.5-inch phone. I'm not hoping for it to be discontinued). If the 6+ becomes more popular I fear the trend of discontinuing current sizes in favor of larger sizes will continue.

Your analogy doesn't hold because Apple has never launched a single Phone in two different form factors at the same time. It's not a fight to the death.

They're the same phone minus with the only exceptions being the display, the battery, and the camera...

Those are substantial differences.

Personally I prefer the 4.7 form factor. But I can't turn down a better display, better battery life and a slightly better camera.

If it was just the camera I'd get the 6. Hell, if it were the camera and the display I could still be talked into getting the 6. But the bigger battery seals the deal... I'm usually at 50-70% by the time I get to work (2hr commute each way)

Guess Who

Banned
Honestly, the display is not so much better that it should be a factor in picking a model. There are very few places where you can see any appreciable difference and it's only in extremely small details.

ZeroX03

Banned

The iPhone 4 was an outdated aspect ratio for a phone and the 5 hasn't been discontinued yet. 5S and 5C still being sold.

The market has shown by and large there's a market for small and budget and a market for the phablet, but the primary market still resides in the 4-5 inch range. There's no evidence the phablet market is going to crush the 4.7 inch form and the 6 Plus seems to be no exception.

BFIB

Doing a lot of local travelling here in the past few days.

I've had 6 people offer to buy my phone outright.

The iPhone 4 was an outdated aspect ratio for a phone and the 5 hasn't been discontinued yet. 5S and 5C still being sold.

The market has shown by and large there's a market for small and budget and a market for the phablet, but the primary market still resides in the 4-5 inch range. There's no evidence the phablet market is going to crush the 4.7 inch form and the 6 Plus seems to be no exception.

I agree with this.

Ideal phone size is now 4.7 I liked my iPhone 5 but yea, it was time for a bigger screen. Android phones have been doing it for a while and the market has spoken.

The primary market still resides in the 4-5 inch range yet the 4-inch form factor is discontinued (in the sense that the latest iteration does not have a 4-inch option).

3 years ago there was no evidence that the <4.5 inch factor is going to get crushed by the 4.5+ inch. Yet here we are.

If the evidence suggests that the 4.7-inch is not going to be eclipsed/replaced by the 5.5-inch, it's because the market has decided that it's a more appealing size, by buying more iPhone 6 than iPhone 6+. I'm glad the market has swayed in this direction.

MicH

Just got a shipment notification and tracking number for my phone :D WOOOH! So I'll have it tomorrow which is the official launch here. Awesome!

Lol i'm so sad right now ,, all my folks got 6 ..... And my dumbass self still don't have my 6+ ;_;

Sprint pls :(

I shouldn't have done an in-store preorder :(

ZeroX03

Banned
The primary market still resides in the 4-5 inch range yet the 4-inch form factor is discontinued (in the sense that the latest iteration does not have a 4-inch option).

3 years ago there was no evidence that the <4.5 inch factor is going to get crushed by the 4.5+ inch. Yet here we are.

If the evidence suggests that the 4.7-inch is not going to be eclipsed/replaced by the 5.5-inch, it's because the market has decided that it's a more appealing size, by buying more iPhone 6 than iPhone 6+. I'm glad the market has swayed in this direction.

Three years ago? No. But two years ago we had the S3, Note 2 and a bunch of other phones that solidified the market and it's all stayed reasonably in place since. Trending a little closer to 5 inch than 4.5 but with reduced bezels to make up the difference. I really don't think you have to worry about the 6 Plus making the 6 obsolete.

I just kept checking Apple's site for new stock in store and got lucky. You need to reserve it and book an appointment for the same day. You need to do it fast as well because there are a lot of people waiting for stock.

I see. However, I am trying to buy it off contract...for Verizon. Don't think you can get an off contract phone off the Apple site right?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
How do you get the health app to track steps, and other info? Not really sure how to use it.

By the way, for those of you that want a very slim case, Spigen's slim fit case is really nice. It adds a good feel/grip and barely makes the phone bigger. This won't protect against drops but it's a good scratch and minor bump protection

I saw a lot of talk about these spigen cases. What's the big deal?

Is the clear one just as durable as the rest?
I have no idea. I'm just looking to see what's my best option in getting a case before my phone ships, Probably won't mind it being big as long as it's hard enough.*

*no pun intended.

ZeroX03

Banned
For backups, does my PC backup have more data stored? I'm not exactly sure what's on my backups, I had to untick some options like photos because of iCloud space. Does that affect my PC backup too? I do want everything transferred to my new phone.

How do you get the health app to track steps, and other info? Not really sure how to use it.

It's already tracking that. You need to add it to the Dashboard if you want to be able to view the stats there.

Additionally, you add it to the dashboard by selecting it under "Health Data" and then select "Show on Dashboard."

Dany

Banned
No, there are apps to create ringtones from songs in your music libray.

ringtone designer. it has instructions how to get it working but you need to connect to itunes.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
My phone is starting to separate by the volume buttons. I can tell because it makes noise and presses in when I squeeze it lightly there.

BFIB

is there an easy way to use custom ringtones?

I use the Zedge app. Tons of ringtones. Just a heads up that you'll need to install ToneSync (their software), and set up WiFi Sync on your iTunes. From there, you just download your ringtone on the app, then sync via wifi w/ your iTunes library, and it updates w/ the ringtone added.

ayeorkean

Just got my 6+, very happy with the feel and quality. I've had enough of thinking over a phone that won't matter in couple of months or years. Now I'm just going to enjoy it. &#128525;

There was a 40-something douche at my work who kept rambling about how dumb Apple products were during the live stream and making lame jokes. I guess a lot of his self worth is attached to using an Android phone, which is pretty sad.

I don't get it. Like, really? You hating on a brand of phone? Who gives a shit...get what you like and enjoy it. I personally don't prefer Android products but I can readily concede they're GREAT products. They've come a long way and the HTC One is my favorite Android phone from a build point of view.

Just cause I prefer iOS doesn't mean I MUST have this gigantic chip on my shoulder about Android products are froth at the mouth when one of them has a potential problem. I wouldn't know about Android problems cause I don't care enough to.

Just got my 6+, very happy with the feel and quality. I've had enough of thinking over a phone that won't matter in couple of months or years. Now I'm just going to enjoy it. &#55357;&#56845;

Hell yea. Enjoy, my friend!

Minsc

Gold Member
It's what l have. I have enough 55 apps, 55 songs (just the latest couple of albums) and 330 photos with 4 gb free.

I should point out 4GBs free is actually not enough to run an update on the phone (iirc, the iOS 8 one requires ~4.5GB). Of course you could deal with the small hassle and temporarily remove your songs/photos (or use a PC/laptop if you have one), but if you want to be able to upgrade to iOS 9 down the road, you might need 5 GBs or more free to update (and in another year, you may find yourself closer to have 1-2 GBs free, and finding the space will be trickier).

kaskade

Still waiting for some of these app updates to come out. I'm surprised it's taking so long. I guess devs weren't completely sure about the resolutions so they didn't want to waste resources which is understandable. Instagram is probably the one that I feel needs to be updated the most though.

I have no idea. I'm just looking to see what's my best option in getting a case before my phone ships, Probably won't mind it being big as long as it's hard enough.*

*no pun intended.

I'm not sure if it's going to be hard enough for you to feel safe with it as it's pretty thin, but nothing but positives for the Spigen cases. I've never used cases in the past, but went with the slim fit smooth black for the 6 and I love it. Phone was pretty slippery and it adds a little more grip without being sticky if that makes sense. Also looks amazing as well, and for the price you can't go wrong

Magwik

Banned
So I could get sprints unlimited plan + the iPhone 6 and only pay $63 a month for both of them. I'm really tempted to get in on my first iPhone

Fuchsdh

Still waiting for some of these app updates to come out. I'm surprised it's taking so long. I guess devs weren't completely sure about the resolutions so they didn't want to waste resources which is understandable. Instagram is probably the one that I feel needs to be updated the most though.

I think that might be overly charitable to devs. There's been more leaks than usual regarding the design, so it's reasonable to assume they had real screen sizes. As for resolution, if their app is designed using the layout techniques Apple has been pushing since iOS 7, there shouldn't be much issue with updating. The writing of "BIGGER PHONES ARE COMING" has been on the wall and just danced around at Apple, while "almost" talked about in WWDC keynotes and sessions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

My guess is they will be proceeding with 3 form factors for a while.

4", 4.7", 5.5"

I'm guessing that when the 6S and 6S Plus roll out next year, the 5C will be updated to the 6C and will have 6-level hardware but the same form factor as the current model. The C will simply mean "Compact" instead of "Color."

I wonder what they are going to do with resolutions, though. I'm sure they want to get the 6 Plus panel to display the rendering resolution of 2208×1242 without downsampling to 1080p, but when will that roll around? I imagine they'll also want to get the 4.7" model to a similar HD resolution at some point, too.

Top Bottom