• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

ZeroX03

Banned
Supposedly my iPhone is being shipped today, with same day shipping. Seems Apple won't let carriers ship the phone early, so we've got no tracking information. So I'm sitting here with no idea if it will or won't arrive. Blech.

Decided to rock the pink leather case. If I don't like it, I'll just take it off and roll AppleCare+.

This bit somehow struck really odd. You're literally happy the regular phone is selling more because you like it more?

Yeah it was a pretty stupid comment.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Anyone here ever use a matte screen protector on their phone? If so did it work out well after using it for an extended time?

I have it on my iphone 5, worst screen protector ever. Sure, it feels nice, but it makes the screen look muddy, and really makes me displeased with the display. Accidentally replaced my old screen protector with the matte one and didn't want to go through and replace it again.

10+ million people own these phones. There is no bend gate lol. Just get it if you want it.

ok

Looks like they have acknowledged it and will replace bent phones for free under certain circumstances.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-replacing-bent-iphone-6-2014-9

I see. So they didn't say anything about enhancing the body for the next batches?

In this case my friend might end up just getting the 4.7 just like me.

I'm glad we waited! And I'm also shocked.. This shouldn't be happening. Apple should buy HTC to build their phones for them!

RedSwirl

Well, I am kind of shocked at how readable comics are in Comic Zeal on the 6+. Text is crisp and sharp and everything is readable in fullpage view. I wouldn't say this is the best way to read comics. The iPad Air is still that, but the 6+ more than suffices as my all in one device for this. I am very pleased to discover that I will be able to read comic books on my iPhone without any problems.

I already reckoned the full-size iPad was a bit too big for me to use as my main reading machine. That's the main reason I went down to a Mini, and am now wondering if the 6 Plus is good enough for me to read comics on the go.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Looks like they have acknowledged it and will replace bent phones for free under certain circumstances.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-replacing-bent-iphone-6-2014-9

One person posting their chat logs with a support representative != they've acknowledged it.

It does look like they are heavily reviewing it internally, but this isn't some kind of Apple PR statement that's been released.

This whole bend-thing is really sad. I stopped watching the news because the news stopped reporting news and starting manufacturing shit for views...looks like the tech media (or the vast majority of it) is quickly following suit.

It isn't like there isn't something here...but there isn't something THIS BIG here. The fact that everyone's talking about bending phones now is stupid. I long for the days where this thread was full of people freaking out over 1GB of RAM. At least there is validity to that discussion. What about the downsampling and performance concerns with the 6+?

...but instead we have a handful of people who post some pictures of bent iPhones online and now the world won't stop talking about bent iPhones.

The way we communicate and handle information these days is awful.

Again: there is legitimacy to this whole bending thing, but we certainly don't know enough to cause a panic over it, and all these unscientific and scientific tests haven't determined if the force applied to a phone in someone's front pocket can truly bend a phone or not. I don't doubt that in extreme cases of super tight pants and extended pressure that it's possible, but as of right now I have zero idea of what the real-world impact of this #bendgate is. I just know people love to talk about it because it get's clicks/views, because people want to protect their expensive devices, and because people love jabbing Apple when there is a problem (real or not).

Where's the PBS of the tech industry? Ars? Anandtech?

Minsc

Gold Member
According to a random live chat rep

Heh, well think of it playing out in one of their packed Apple stores.

"I'm here to exchange this brand new iPhone 6 Plus that was bent in my pocket."
"Sorry, we don't allow returns for bent iPhones"
"(screaming) This iPhone 6 is only 2 weeks old and now bent just from having it in my pocket and you won't replace it"
etc

Yeah, they're not going to say no and scare away everyone else in the store. Then they further risk the person contacting their local news station about Apple's refusal, and going for media exposure, which is something people would do, and would imo create a much bigger headache for Apple.

According to a random live chat rep

Then there's no official statement from Apple. I'm sure they're on damage control mode. I think we'll witness some heads rolling BIG TIME!

This is the first product after Steve and it has this stupid fuck up! This is not good for their image at all, and it's reflected in their share price as well..

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Why are you glad to see it?

That seems odd to me.

Yeah it was a pretty stupid comment.

Not to me - I'm glad that the 6 is selling better because I prefer the 6 to the 6+, and wouldn't like Apple to focus on larger sized mobile devices. I wouldn't want to think that my preference is going to lead to me being left behind when I choose to upgrade, especially seeing as the last time I did was 4 years ago. If there was a major preference towards larger sizes which continued for another 4 years next time I choose to buy one I may not be able to find a phone in the size I prefer as easily, or larger phones may get more focus and so end up with significantly better features.

It's mostly irrelevant at this point though as there are other factors affecting the sales numbers - supply is outpacing demand, and people may not have had a chance to look at a physical 6/6+ before purchasing and so that may skew sales.

scott!

Neo Member
Why are you glad to see it?

That seems odd to me.
Is it really that odd to be pleased that his preferred vision for hardware (the smaller screen) may also be selling the best, thus securing its future in the market and his ability to continue using that form factor in updated products?

It's the inverse of the equally valid disappointment some feel that 3.5" and 4" phones just aren't what mainstream consumers seem to want right now. In an ideal world, manufacturers would make every screen size available, but if the choice is between the big honkin' 5.5" devices and anything smaller, I'm right there with the guy saying he's glad that there still seems to be a place in the market for the less ridiculous size. I'd hate to reach the point where I'm forced to move to an even larger phone (4.7 will do it for me) if I want updated hardware.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not to me - I'm glad that the 6 is selling better because I prefer the 6 to the 6+, and wouldn't like Apple to focus on larger sized mobile devices..

hqdefault.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
Not to me - I'm glad that the 6 is selling better because I prefer the 6 to the 6+, and wouldn't like Apple to focus on larger sized mobile devices. I wouldn't want to think that my preference is going to lead to me being left behind when I choose to upgrade, especially seeing as the last time I did was 4 years ago. If there was a major preference towards larger sizes which continued for another 4 years next time I choose to buy one I may not be able to find a phone in the size I prefer as easily, or larger phones may get more focus and so end up with significantly better features.

It's mostly irrelevant at this point though as there are other factors affecting the sales numbers - supply is outpacing demand, and people may not have had a chance to look at a physical 6/6+ before purchasing and so that may skew sales.

"You like big phones? Screw you, I hope your preference doesn't sell well so the company can focus exclusively on what I want."

It's a ridiculous view. If you prefer the 6, buy it. Show your support for your choice. They can co-exist peacefully. I've bought a 6 Plus and prefer the large form factor, but I'm not holding my middle finger up to the regular 6 because I hope they both do well.

Curufinwe

Is it really that odd to be pleased that his preferred vision for hardware (the smaller screen) may also be selling the best, thus securing its future in the market and his ability to continue using that form factor in updated products?

It's the inverse of the equally valid disappointment some feel that 3.5" and 4" phones just aren't what mainstream consumers seem to want right now. In an ideal world, manufacturers would make every screen size available, but if the choice is between the big honkin' 5.5" devices and anything smaller, I'm right there with the guy saying he's glad that there still seems to be a place in the market for the less ridiculous size. I'd hate to reach the point where I'm forced to move to an even larger phone (4.7 will do it for me) if I want updated hardware.

I would like the next phone to be the size of the 6 or very slightly larger, but with a 5 inch screen.

reKon

Banned
I have it on my iphone 5, worst screen protector ever. Sure, it feels nice, but it makes the screen look muddy, and really makes me displeased with the display. Accidentally replaced my old screen protector with the matte one and didn't want to go through and replace it again.

Damn, I hope the one I ordered is a good one. You've discouraged me from even wanting to put it on now lol. If I do this, try it out for a week and don't like it, it shouldn't be too hard to take off right?

Bacon

I just don't see why someone would be happy with less choices for a consumer. I'd rather keep two screen sizes. If you enjoy the smaller one, that is great and if you enjoy the bigger one that is great too.

Vyer

Damn, I hope the one I ordered is a good one. You've discouraged me from even wanting to put it on now lol. If I do this, try it out for a week and don't like it, it shouldn't be too hard to take off right?

I haven't had a screen protector in quite a while, but even back then they were easy to remove. It shouldn't be a problem, I guess unless it's some *really* low grade shit.

I tried a matte protector back then and I didn't mind it. PPI wasn't quite the same at the time so I can't speak to how it effects the display of more modern screens, but I kind of liked the look. I don't think it's too far off from a preference between matte/glossy on current laptops/monitors.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Screen protectors arent hard to take off in my experience, it's the process of putting on a new one that stresses me out the most.

.hacked

2 6+ vs 1 6 in my house.

6+ FTW!!!

But really both are cool, sure the extra $100 isn't helping the 6+, shit look at the 16GB selling out everywhere. Shows you how budget minded buyers are.

Vyer

"You like big phones? Screw you, I hope your preference doesn't sell well so the company can focus exclusively on what I want."

It's a ridiculous view. If you prefer the 6, buy it. Show your support for your choice. They can co-exist peacefully. I've bought a 6 Plus and prefer the large form factor, but I'm not holding my middle finger up to the regular 6 because I hope they both do well.

To be fair, this is probably the same thing a fan of 3.5 or 4" phones could also have told themselves in previous years.

There was a thread here where people were discussing the possibility of six inch phones becoming more the standard. There are current rumors that one of the next Nexus devices will be 5.9".

I don't necessarily disagree with you that the sizes can co-exist, but I do at least see where the concern/reasoning comes from a little. Certainly if a 4" phone was your preference you have less choices now than just a couple of years ago for new flagships/devices, though there still are some good ones. Personally I don't think you'll see that kind of phase out with phones at around 5", as I think the 'phablet' market is a specific one and you won't necessarily see a lot of overlap.

This is being blown soooo out of proportion. 10 million phones, and like what. Maybe 50-100 users are reporting a bending problem?

It's only because Apple devices are more expensive than most and usually have better build quality because of that. But this is affecting such a minority of users.

Vooduu

This is being blown soooo out of proportion. 10 million phones, and like what. Maybe 50-100 users are reporting a bending problem?

Because it's the iPhone. Happens every year and if people actually googled, nearly every phone bends including Android devices. Smh

Fliesen

2 6+ vs 1 6 in my house.

6+ FTW!!!

But really both are cool, sure the extra $100 isn't helping the 6+, shit look at the 16GB selling out everywhere. Shows you how budget minded buyers are.

funnily, iOS 8 makes the 16 gig option a lot more valid than before, imho.
I had 5(!) gigs of non-deletable (unless i completely wiped the phone) iMessages, after purging the ones older than 30 days in iOS 8 i'm down to 300megs.

self-destructing attachments are a true blessing.

still going for the 64 gig iPhone 6 when it's available tomorrow.

Any discussion about iPhone 6 / 6+ split?

Doesn't seem to be any hard data, but apparently there are some estimates based on usage:

uDJFcHG.png

Link

iPhone 6 outpacing iPhone 6+ by about 7-to-1 according to this data. Suffice to say iPhone 6 is probably outselling iPhone 6+ by a lot.

Glad to see it too, 6+ is way way too big.

Yea, but the 6 plus is completely sold out at the moment. I can drive over to my local verizon and buy a 6 right now if I wanted. Apple underestimated the demand for a larger phone unfortunately.

Fliesen

It's only because Apple devices are more expensive than most and usually have better build quality because of that. But this is affecting such a minority of users.

just like the iPhone 4 sold like hotcakes even though some people claimed it would be pretty much impossible to not drop calls due to a DRAMATIC design flaw #antennagate

just like with every.single.release.of.iOS that has people reporting dramatically reduced battery life.

them clicks.

the iPhone 6+ is easily bendable by hand with enough force applied because it's long and thin, so is any other big phone.
the only differences are:
* samsung phones are made of plastic, hence they straighten back out, they actually bend further with the same force applied - i.e. if you apply the same force to a Samsung Galaxy Note 4, you'll damage the internal components or crack the screen sooner than damaging the outer plastic shell.
* HTC and Motorola phones have a curved back which gives them more structural integrity (try curving a piece of paper and "bending" it, you can't ...) but also add thickness.

pick your poison; take care of your 800$ phone.

Yep. But any perceived flaw with an Apple product will be big news. In reality any item manufactured in large amounts will see a few units that get damaged abnormally. As long as it gets replaced for free I don't see any issue.

scott!

Neo Member

It's a ridiculous view.
That's how you're choosing to interpret the words. Really a very aggressive and negative spin. If the 5.5" doesn't have support in the market, it won't sell. Same with the 4.7". If someone is sitting out this generation of phones, they can express their preference for how the market moves in the future without buying anything.

Like I said above, it's not about rooting against anyone, since it'd be fantastic if consumers could have whatever size phone they like, but when the reality is one or two options (historically 1 from Apple), and then the sales go entirely for the larger option, folks that like the smaller size are legitimately disappointed.

No one is smacking your 6+ out of your hands or begrudging you for your choice. We just have different opinions, and are happy when the mainstream support aligns with our preference. It's not to spite you. Don't lead a life of perceived slights! :p

ZeroX03

Banned
That's how you're choosing to interpret the words. Really a very aggressive and negative spin. If the 5.5" doesn't have support in the market, it won't sell. Same with the 4.7". If someone is sitting out this generation of phones, they can express their preference for how the market moves in the future without buying anything.

Like I said above, it's not about rooting against anyone, since it'd be fantastic if consumers could have whatever size phone they like, but when the reality is one or two options (historically 1 from Apple), and then the sales go entirely for the larger option, folks that like the smaller size are legitimately disappointed.

No one is smacking your 6+ out of your hands or begrudging you for your choice. We just have different opinions, and are happy when the mainstream support aligns with our preference. It's not to spite you. Don't lead a life of perceived slights! :p

Did you read his post and my post?

I'm the one who's saying I want both sizes phones to succeed. They're the ones who want the 6 Plus to fail so their size choice becomes the defacto. It is actually rooting against and begrudging people when you say "it's not selling well, that's good".

I just don't see why someone would be happy with less choices for a consumer. I'd rather keep two screen sizes. If you enjoy the smaller one, that is great and if you enjoy the bigger one that is great too.

I never said any of the above. All I said was I'm glad the 4.7-inch is selling better because I don't like the 5.5-inch size.

I don't care that Apple has a 5.5-inch iPhone. I don't want to see it discontinued. But I do dislike this trend of iPhone sizes getting bigger every year. Because of that I can't get a 3.5-inch or 4-inch version of the iPhone 6, sizes that I prefer. The only thing that might stop this trend of increasing phone size is if the larger phone doesn't sell well. If the 6+ vastly outpaces the 6 in sales, it's entirely possible that Apple goes 5.5-inch only in the future, or 5.5-inch and a larger size, at which point I'd be forced to switch to another phone altogether as the 5.5-inch form factor is unusable for me.

MicH

Looks like I'm getting my 6 tomorrow :D I am extremely excited! Can't wait to replace this 4S that I've been using for three years

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Did you read his post and my post?

I'm the one who's saying I want both sizes phones to succeed. They're the ones who want the 6 Plus to fail so their size choice becomes the defacto. It is actually rooting against and begrudging people when you say "it's not selling well, that's good".

Did you read my post? I never said I wanted the 6+ to fail. I said that I was concerned that if the 6+ massively outsold the 6 then the bigger form factor would become the de facto and that the smaller size would get discontinued, or would fall out of line with the larger phones. I'm happy for both to exist, although I personally wouldn't choose the larger size.

Branson

Even after all of this bend gate stuff i still want a 6+ since the phone is actually better. If the tech was the same between the two I might have gotten the 6.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'd imagine you just take your phone into ATT?

That's how it worked for me, bring in an iPhone 4 (or whatever else you have collecting dust), leave with $200 of credit on a promotional card (can't be used to pay for new phones, but can be used to pay phone bill, so same difference in the end). Promotion ends soon though, and I do believe it requires going to an actual store.

ZeroX03

Banned
Did you read my post? I never said I wanted the 6+ to fail. I said that I was concerned that if the 6+ massively outsold the 6 then the bigger form factor would become the de facto and that the smaller size would get discontinued, or would fall out of line with the larger phones. I'm happy for both to exist, although I personally wouldn't choose the larger size.

You straight up said you don't want Apple to focus on larger phones. If Apple doesn't focus on larger phones, they don't get made.

If you guys weren't speaking negatively of the 6 Plus why bring it up in the first place? Why not just say "I'm glad the 6 is doing well, and I hope they continue with that form factor in the future" instead of "good, it's outselling the 6 Plus. I hope they don't focus on large phones"?

Top Bottom