• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Number45

Nice, thanks for the info, I'd been wondering how video sharing worked. Really annoying that the apps don't give you a choice like Mail does with photo attachments. I guess the best way to share video without reducing the quality is Dropbox - or does anybody know of a superior service/app?
Wherever you have the space you need I guess. I use OneDrive, which is the same as Dropbox for all intents and purposes... expect I have 1TB at OneDrive. ^_^

123rl

I've found that if you upload from Photos to Facebook, it keeps the framerate intact but isn't in HD. Uploading from Facebook will keep it HD but at normal speed. If you use iMovie to upload it to Facebook it will upload the slow motion version AND it's in HD.

123rl

Is that from iMovie app on the iPhone or the Mac version?

The phone version. If I used the Mac version it would only upload in HD at 30fps. The same applies to Youtube. Use iMovie on your phone to upload it to Youtube and you'll get HD and the slower frame rate

I finally got my iPhone 6 plus. What an ordeal. Long story short I preordered it on the 12th through Sprint, but they had massive shortages. They charged me in full and tied me up and then refused to cancel my order. After fighting with them I got them to remove my order and I just walked into Target and got a 16gb iPhone plus space gray with no hassle. What a joke.

Anyways I love the phone. But am afraid of warping. Going to get a case now. Are the apple leather cases flimsy? Are they strong enough support to prevent bending?

Also is it just me or does the plus get hot near the power button?

The bending issue is extremely rare. The Apple leather case has done me just fine since Monday so I think I'm going to stick with it.

Funny, you had the exact same issue with me with a carrier. I went with Bell in Canada and they tried to tie me up and refused to cancel my order until I threatened to cancel my service with them. They finally cancelled it buy I'm still waiting for the refund to show up on my CC. They put through the refund on Tuesday at noon. Hopefully today!

rezuth

Iphone 6 vs plus from macrumors

Left is 6 right is plus

yRqmYjU.jpg

4Ytch6D.jpg

Notice the paper behind the stick shift and difference in detail . this is what OIS on plus does.

Makes me really glad I got the plus, didn't think that the difference would be that big

ZeroX03

Banned
Get AppleCare and don't look back. Seriously. It's worth it for a battery upgrade alone, and two years down the line, you can get a replacement before you sell your old iPhone and then advertise it as "Like New" or "Refurbished", etc.

How does this work? Damage your own phone for a replacement?

MicH

YAYY!! Just got my brand new iPhone 6 :D It's a 64GB Space Grey one! I have to say, upgrading from a 4S is just incredible. It's so big, yet not too big, but such a big upgrade in terms of size! And Touch ID is probably my favorite new feature. God, that is just amazing. Having put in a passcode for the last god knows how many years, this is just so damn nice!

Curufinwe

YAYY!! Just got my brand new iPhone 6 :D It's a 64GB Space Grey one! I have to say, upgrading from a 4S is just incredible. It's so big, yet not too big, but such a big upgrade in terms of size! And Touch ID is probably my favorite new feature. God, that is just amazing. Having put in a passcode for the last god knows how many years, this is just so damn nice!

I doing the exact same upgrade thru my work, but I don't even know if it's actually been ordered yet.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Today i held a colleges 6 in hands. Played around with it for 20min.
It's to big. The top row of app icons/"task bar" are unreachable, and i have to juggle the phone around. I have long fingers. Pulled out my 4s... night and day difference in usability.

I'm super sad right now. I want a new Phone, and i want it to have iOS. :'(

ZeroX03

Banned
It's to big. The top row of app icons/"task bar" are unreachable, and i have to juggle the phone around. I have long fingers. Pulled out my 4s... night and day difference in usability.

You'll get used to it. Especially if you have long fingers.

thats why you have the reachability feature

BoPGiJL.jpg

Double tap the home button (not press), screen comes down so your thumbs can reach the corner

jts

...hate me...

Buy a 5s.

You will still get a speed bump, camera bump, display dump, touch ID bump, slow motion bump, lightness bump, coming from the 4s.

hitsugi

Yeah, sorry about that man. :(

Sprint is a terrible company. I'll never pre-order again with them. I really hope you get it soon. If you get tired of waiting, and they will give you no updates then try this:

http://idevicechecker.com/

It's super accurate, and you can just call up Sprint and cancel your order and just go get it in store.

Is it really accurate? It shows numerous iPhone 6's available in my area, but the Apple Store page says otherwise.. for every single store.

Nevermind, that site actually IS accurate, but people are jumping on phones at an insane speed.

Mononoke

Banned
The bending issue is extremely rare. The Apple leather case has done me just fine since Monday so I think I'm going to stick with it.

Funny, you had the exact same issue with me with a carrier. I went with Bell in Canada and they tried to tie me up and refused to cancel my order until I threatened to cancel my service with them. They finally cancelled it buy I'm still waiting for the refund to show up on my CC. They put through the refund on Tuesday at noon. Hopefully today!

I'm loving this phone. The leather case is great, so nice to hear someone else has had it for a couple of days and likes it. Yeah the pre-order stuff was a disaster for so many people. I can't believe Sprint expects people to pay in full and then possibly wait 2 months. I mean without any info how does one know?

I just love how Apple didn't give Sprint any of the 16gb space gray plus models. And yet Target randomly gets a massive shipment of that exact phone. Keep in mind customers paid in full on the 12th and still didn't get jack. I heard someone that ordered 10 min after pre-orders went up didn't get this model shipped until 4 days ago. So Apple couldn't provide a major carrier that model to even fill 10% of day 1 pre-orders but Target randomly gets 500 per store. What in the fuck.

Mononoke

Banned
Is it really accurate? It shows numerous iPhone 6's available in my area, but the Apple Store page says otherwise.. for every single store.

Was accurate for me, and thousands of people on Macrumors and reddit used it to dump their pre-order and just go pick it up in store. I did this yesterday myself. That said it's always possible that there is a delay once they sell out and that site reflecting it. Maybe if you see a local store on that site showing they have your model go drive over there or give them a call. Worth a shot?

Edit: although every person I saw that had success with this site was with stores like best buy or target. Maybe it's not accurate for Apple stores. Although I don't see why it wouldn't. I'd try calling that Apple store and asking.

hitsugi

Was accurate for me and thousands of people on Macrumors and reddit used it to dump their pre-order and just go pick it up in store. I did this yesterday myself. That said it's always possible that there is a delay once they sell out and that site reflecting it. Maybe if you see a local store on that site showing they have your model go drive over there or give them a call. Worth a shot?

Yeah, I corrected myself. People are just buying them out insanely fast at my stores. I wonder how often stock comes in?

Looks like Gold is pretty much a free for all. I could walk into almost any store in my area and buy one.

I felt the same way when I got my iPhone 6 last Friday, but "Reachability" has gone a long way to alleviate those concerns for me. It took a day or two to get used to double-tapping the TouchID sensor to bring it down, but it works very well. It's just something that has to click in your brain to realize that the top 20% of the screen requires a reach down to the home button rather than a reach up to the screen. Once it clicks, the phone is equally as usable as any iPhone 4 or 5 model, at least for me it has been.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah, I corrected myself. People are just buying them out insanely fast at my stores. I wonder how often stock comes in?

Ah damn. Did you give them a call to see? Sucks your store is selling them so quickly. :/

I can't say for sure. But i personally noticed this site updating every 2-3 days. I'd guess they are pushing out stock as fast as possible.

hitsugi

Ah damn. Did you give them a call to see? Sucks your store is selling them so quickly. :/

I can't say for sure. But i personally noticed this site updating every 2-3 days. I'd guess they are pushing out stock as fast as possible.

I didn't call, but I do have an order that's been in "preparing for shipment status" with Apple's website :\ which means I can't cancel it anymore... I guess technically I could still walk into a store and purchase them and then just return the phones that ship to me.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
You'll get used to it. Especially if you have long fingers.

I refuse to buy a 800&#8364; Phone to "get used to it". Somehow i'm wired that way.

thats why you have the reachability feature

BoPGiJL.jpg

Double tap the home button (not press), screen comes down so your thumbs can reach the corner

That ,to me, seems like a lazy workaround. I hope they redesign iOS in such a way that i can one "click" my apps.

---

It's such a nicely built phone, and i want it badly... just at regular size. God damn it.

Edit: Is there an option to "only" have 5 rows of apps at any time/always as a default?

MercuryLS

Banned
I refuse to buy a 800€ Phone to "get used to it". Somehow i'm wired that way.

That ,to me, seems like a lazy workaround. I hope they redesign iOS in such a way that i can one "click" my apps.

---

It's such a nicely built phone, and i want it badly... just at regular size. God damn it.

Edit: Is there an option to "only" have 5 rows of apps at any time/always as a default?

As much as I like my iPhone 6, I do miss the more compact nature of my iPhone 5. I agree that reachability is a bandaid solution that works in a pinch but sucks to use regularly. I would say just to get the iPhone 5S, it's a fine phone.

hitsugi

Rather than add "reachability," Apple should have added something people have wanted from the get-go: the ability to put their icons wherever the hell they feel like rather than top to bottom, no gaps allowed, etc.

Mononoke

Banned

---

I wonder what the solution would be? What has the solution been for other phones of this size?

I personally have no issue with reachability. I've seen a lot of people say it's hard to get used to. I'll admit at first, I had no idea how to activate it. Had to look it up and see it's a "touch" not a "press" lol. But once I figured that out, it's pretty easy/smooth to use.

I think, it's lazy in how it looks. But I wonder what other solution there is (outside of going back to a smaller size).

TheContact

Got a message from ATT saying my phone shipped. So how serious is the bending issue with the + and will a case alleviate that issue ?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

---

It's not just for opening apps but for reaching the top of the screen in any app. Not sure how apple can redesign 3rd party apps. It works well actually.

I've never used a screen protector and never had an issue. Heck, I didn't even use a case on my iphone 5 and had no issues (even with 2-3 drops) over 2 years.

I've always used a case and a screen protector. I hate naked iphones. No grip, lol. I wanna be able to put my phone on my desk without preparing a pristine space for it to not get scuffed/scratched.

Planning to upgrade from an iPhone 4 16GB to iPhone 6 64GB, anyone else done the same?
If not, would you say it's been worth upgrading from the likes of a 5/5S?

And any other advice would be welcome.

Mainly upgrading for the storage and the better camera, as well as the fact that I'm in the Apple ecosystem with a MacBook Pro and iPad Mini. Also I just like the design.

PS what's the consensus on the leather cases for those that have bought them (or last year's 5S leather cases)

Planning to upgrade from an iPhone 4 16GB to iPhone 6 64GB, anyone else done the same?
If not, would you say it's been worth upgrading from the likes of a 5/5S?

And any other advice would be welcome.

Mainly upgrading for the storage and the better camera, as well as the fact that I'm in the Apple ecosystem with a MacBook Pro and iPad Mini. Also I just like the design.

PS what's the consensus on the leather cases for those that have bought them (or last year's 5S leather cases)

Leather cases are pretty nice but expensive. I bought it because the case is pretty minimal and I wanted extra grip

Rambaldi

Mine shipped this morning with an arrival date of October 2nd according to the UPS website. I'm extremely glad that I'm getting my 6+ earlier than they said but does it really take a week to get here from China? I have to plan to be off of work for a bit to be able to sign for it and I feel like people received theirs within like two days of shipment. Or maybe I'm crazy.

MicH

The curved edges of the screen are fantastic! I'm really sad that I'm gonna miss out on that because I'm gonna use a case :(

Magwik

Banned
So sprint is offering a free upgrade towards the 6/6+. Would I still have to pay the ETF if I wanted to change my plan to the $50 unlimited one that is iPhone exclusive?

Top Bottom