• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Aske

Those with the white iphones, does it bother you at all when watching movies or anything? I'm kinda partial to the black bezels (and it's going to have a black case on as well).

It's going to come down to personal preference, but I found the white bezel much less pleasant to combine with movies and images than the black one. I really wanted to like the white bezel, because the Touch ID button looks far better on the silver/gold phones than it does on the space grey; but if you want your content to take centre stage and the phone to melt away, you want the black bezel.

When you check for updates it might just prompt you to install .02

If not, .01 won't update anyway since it was taken down. You'll still move on to .02
It doesn't. At least not yet. It's still referencing .01 since it's the one downloaded, but the update can't be verified since it was pulled. Not really a biggie because I'm probably gonna get rid of the phone soon.

Ashhong

I've been waiting for them to release their metal hybrid case for the iPhone 6+, but it keeps getting pushed back. I specifically want that case because of the back, I can hide the metal sticker I need to use for my Mountek.

I remember having to wait a long time for cases to be made available freely when the iPhone 4 & 5 first released. Not to mention the bunch cases that wouldn't fit at all at first. I guess it's best to wait. :/

Hope it comes soon. Hard taking the phone out of this pouch every time I want to use it.

Are people preferring Chrome over Safari now? I'm trying it out now but i find it slow, buggy and not optimized for iPhone 6..

X-Frame

If I want to buy the 6 online it says delivered for mid-October, which I expected. I wonder if I should just keep checking the Grand Central store after work every day on my walk back and maybe they'll have it in stock before it could be delivered to me.

Hope it comes soon. Hard taking the phone out of this pouch every time I want to use it.

Are people preferring Chrome over Safari now? I'm trying it out now but i find it slow, buggy and not optimized for iPhone 6..

Dolphin is an OK alternative browser, but I still prefer Safari.

DOWN

Banned
An iPhone 6 photo

15332574576_c359326b26_o.jpg

If 8.0.1 is on your device and you want to delete it and 2 can be downloaded :

Delete the update by going to Settings -> General -> Usage -> Manage Storage (under the Storage section)

Ashhong

If I want to buy the 6 online it says delivered for mid-October, which I expected. I wonder if I should just keep checking the Grand Central store after work every day on my walk back and maybe they'll have it in stock before it could be delivered to me.

I would definitely wait and get it at the store. But check online throughout the work day and do in store pick up, don't wait until you get there to check

Vyer

It doesn't. At least not yet. It's still referencing .01 since it's the one downloaded, but the update can't be verified since it was pulled. Not really a biggie because I'm probably gonna get rid of the phone soon.

I did the same thing as you. Downloaded but didn't install. Try going to settings-usage-manage storage and delete the update then check.

badb0y

My iPhone 6 Plus is slightly warped now, I just checked it on 2 flat surfaces and on both of them when I push on one of the corners the phone rocks back and forth while the other two corners have no movement at all.

This was the second day I took the phone out with me and I went to the restaurant and had the phone in my pocket. Returning it tomorrow and going with the 6 or possible a Note 4 :-/ .

DOWN

Banned
My iPhone 6 Plus is slightly warped now, I just checked it on 2 flat surfaces and on both of them when I push on one of the corners the phone rocks back and forth while the other two corners have no movement at all.

This was the second day I took the phone out with me and I went to the restaurant and had the phone in my pocket. Returning it tomorrow and going with the 6 or possible a Note 4 :-/ .

You remember the camera sticks out tho... it always wobbles. You need to check it by laying a flat credit card on the back.

did you take the camera bump into account?

Note 4 isn't out yet :p

dkeane

Can you take a video for us? How warped did it get?

badb0y

You remember the camera sticks out tho... it always wobbles. You need to check it by laying a flat credit card on the back.

I didn't lay it down on it's back, I did it on it's screen.

EDIT: Making video now.

EDIT 2: I'll make the video once my brother gets home from the gym. I can't show the wobble while I am recording with one hand. It's a very slight warp, you wouldn't be able to see it unless you checked it yourself. Even then, this happened in 2 days I don't want to deal with a bigger potential problem down the line.

That sucks. Definitely take it back. Was it like that when purchased or the pocket got it? Also did you have it in a case?

Corgi

Banned
First thing I noticed with the 6+. An app that was updated for iOS 8 does not mean it's optimized for iPhone 6/6+.

Step your game up tweetbot chrome.

badb0y

That sucks. Definitely take it back. Was it like that when purchased or the pocket got it? Also did you have it in a case?
Nope. I tested my phone for bends/warps right after news started coming out. Yesterday I took the phone to work but was too afraid to put it in my pocket and had it laying around but today I decided to use the phone as I would any other phone. I had it in my pocket most of the time (front right side pocket), I don't wear skinny jeans but my pockets do get a little tight when I sit down because I have big thighs. So I basically used it as I would use my iPhone 5 today and when I got home I decided to see if anything changed. I did the same test for the warping as I did 2 days ago and now the phone rises up slightly when I put pressure on 2 opposite corners while the other 2 opposite corners don't have any movement at all.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
First thing I noticed with the 6+. An app that was updated for iOS 8 does not mean it's optimized for iPhone 6/6+.

Tweetbot, Chrome, Facebook, Messenger, Skype, Google Maps, 1Password, TomTom, Between.....

Tweetbot been really resting on their laurels lately. They didn't even make a new design for iOS7 on the iPad. Slackers.

Well it was bound to happen

I am 260 lbs and I slept on my plus last night and it's not bent which leads me to believe these guys banged the phone in some way. No way the phone bends just like that.

It hasn't bent yet but I know the way I use my phones that it won't survive the year. Both my iPhone 4 and 5 were put through some tough shit and they reason I stuck with them was because of the impeccable build quality. Maybe next year Apple will fix the structural problems of the iPhone and I'll come back.

EDIT: iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB White AT&T locked. If you can buy it at retail price from me you can have it.

Yes? I mean it's a $900 phone if I can't use it like I want it to what's the point of getting it.

I work with my phone in my pocket and I move around a lot often hitting stuff in the process. I can't be worried about my phone bending while doing other things in my life.

Sorry, maybe next year they will reinforce the aluminum.

Returning my iPhone 6 Plus and going with the Note 4. Maybe next year Apple will reinforce their shitty build quality iPhone.
I think you should go with the note 4 for now considering the way you use a phone and also we don't know if it is a really a flaw with the product or bad batch

ZeroX03

Banned

Well yeah, iOS8 has been a known quantity for months now. The 6 and 6 Plus have only been official for a few weeks. The curse of launching products so close to their announcement, devs aren't ready.

Ayumi

I've been waiting for them to release their metal hybrid case for the iPhone 6+, but it keeps getting pushed back. I specifically want that case because of the back, I can hide the metal sticker I need to use for my Mountek.

I remember having to wait a long time for cases to be made available freely when the iPhone 4 & 5 first released. Not to mention the bunch cases that wouldn't fit at all at first. I guess it's best to wait. :/
Check Amazon (again)? My clear case arrived today and I just put it on my iPhone 6.

ZeroX03

Banned
The carrier Spark - one of the biggest in New Zealand - said on Facebook that 6 Plus pre-orders outnumbered the regular models. Interesting (and bad news for the people I was talking to a few pages back).

rezuth

Tweetbot, Chrome, Facebook, Messenger, Skype, Google Maps, 1Password, TomTom, Between.....

Tweetbot been really resting on their laurels lately. They didn't even make a new design for iOS7 on the iPad. Slackers.

Yeah, I'm starting to regret paying the premium price a bit. Feels like they've really been slacking off.

badb0y

Well it was bound to happen

I think you should go with the note 4 for now considering the way you use a phone and also we don't know if it is a really a flaw with the product or bad batch

But the point is it didn't bend under those conditions...It warped in my pocket when I went to a restaurant.

It's probably going to take a bit of time. I don't think devs are given the new iPhone size specs ahead of time.

Ayumi

Trust me, I nearly check it everyday. XD

The iPhone 6 cases have been available for a while, I need the 6+ cases. :)
Spigen seem to have some on their website, but I don't know about shipping to wherever you live.

http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-6/iphone-6-plus.html

Personally I think any case that will protect your phone from bending would be great temporarily (until people start designing cool/cute cases). But then again, I believe if you're careful, it won't bend. It's still aluminum though.. Prone to tear/wear skratches too. :v

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's going to come down to personal preference, but I found the white bezel much less pleasant to combine with movies and images than the black one. I really wanted to like the white bezel, because the Touch ID button looks far better on the silver/gold phones than it does on the space grey; but if you want your content to take centre stage and the phone to melt away, you want the black bezel.

yeah, I was kind of afraid of this. Well, they didn't have any of the damn phone in stock (i guess the site is giving me false flags). Will probably show up early saturday morning when I can line up, dude said they still receive stock everyday.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's probably going to take a bit of time. I don't think devs are given the new iPhone size specs ahead of time.

The resolution (and downsampling) of the 6 Plus wasn't known prior to launch, just speculated on, so it's unlikely anyone other than Apple knew about it.

Anyone have a list of stuff that has been optimized for 6 & 6 Plus?

Vyer

yeah, I was kind of afraid of this. Well, they didn't have any of the damn phone in stock (i guess the site is giving me false flags). Will probably show up early saturday morning when I can line up, dude said they still receive stock everyday.

well, for a counterpoint, I love the white bezel. :) It 'frames' the display in a clean border in a way that really makes the screen pop for me. Kind of hard to describe. YMMV.

I had a black 4, white 5 and black 5S. Went back to white for the 6.

Guess Who

Banned
Twitter's official app and Twitterific are both 6/6+ optimized.

Palaver is optimized if you're looking for an IRC client.

Alien Blue is optimized if you need a Reddit client.

Tumblr's official app is optimized.

Downcast, Overcast, and Castro are all optimized podcast apps.

Instapaper is optimized if you need a read-it-later app.

Uber is optimized.

These are just a few I use regularly or am aware of.

Spigen seem to have some on their website, but I don't know about shipping to wherever you live.

http://www.spigen.com/brands/apple/iphone/iphone-6/iphone-6-plus.html

Personally I think any case that will protect your phone from bending would be great temporarily (until people start designing cool/cute cases). But then again, I believe if you're careful, it won't bend. It's still aluminum though.. Prone to tear/wear skratches too. :v

Well, I currently have the red leather Apple case, so I'll be fine for now.

Also, the cases are back ordered on Spigen too. Lol

In Stock October 30. ;-;

knicks

While I am sorry this has happen to you, I am still going to
KuGsj.gif
because you were defending how it was a non issue and of no concern. Is that rapid enough for you? Second day you take it out with you. It's so fucked up. Apple messed up.

Top Bottom