• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Don't know what case to pick up for my iPhone 6. The Spigens have mixed reviews and at the same time I'm being cheap. lol

Any cases with a good lip from the screen while also protecting the overall phone well?

MoeDabs

Apple leather case is by far the best looking case on the market

Also feels great in your hand

And smells good

I wanted to buy the leather case but the bottom being unprotected made me worry...

Don't know what case to pick up for my iPhone 6. The Spigens have mixed reviews and at the same time I'm being cheap. lol

Any cases with a good lip from the screen while also protecting the overall phone well?

I went with the Diztronic, cheap and no ugly branding on the back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Rather than add "reachability," Apple should have added something people have wanted from the get-go: the ability to put their icons wherever the hell they feel like rather than top to bottom, no gaps allowed, etc.

And have widgets on the home screens. Then you could arrange apps in the reachable parts of the screen, and widgets in the rest

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
My QuickTime videos have been low res even on wifi since I got the 6. This isn't a scaling issue, they are as if I was streaming on cellular and they are low res.

Anybody else experiencing this?

hitsugi

And have widgets on the home screens. Then you could arrange apps in the reachable parts of the screen, and widgets in the rest

Yeah all of this sure would be nice, and was the primary reason I jailbroke my older iPhones as I do appreciate some level of customization. I think it also let me set up ringtones easier than whatever the hell you (still) have to do with iTunes. I don't even have iTunes installed on my PC at the moment.

Bacon

Also if you're in the position to seriously view that as "just 3 dinners" for one person then you probably shouldn't be second guessing how much you spend on these phones. Maybe if you were going for some sort of crazy diamond encrusted phone or one with a premium leather casing, but not the standard mass produced iPhones.

Yeah I stopped arguing with the guy, but I hope to never live a life where 3 meals are costing me $100. I don't think the average person does, anyway.

Curufinwe

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-iphone-6-case/

Based on our testing, firsthand experience, and reader feedback, Speck’s CandyShell ($35) comes out as the case we’d recommend for most iPhone 6 users. It’s beautifully designed and offers significant protection without adding too much bulk. The two layers of material offer more protection than cases that are just rubber or just plastic.

Speck’s case adds 4 mm to the overall thickness of the iPhone, which may sound like a lot compared to the 6.9mm depth of the bare device, but it doesn’t actually feel like that much. A big part of that is the 1.5mm raised lip, which is more significant than on any other case we tested. For those concerned with the safety of their screens, this is a good thing. Despite covering about half the bezel on either side of the iPhone’s display, we had no issue with swiping gestures in either direction.

So with the off cotract T-Mobile version, can I just plug my at&t sim card into it from my iphone 5 and it will work? My apple store has t-moblie 6 128 gb available for pickup.

I know I'm late to reply but yes, if you buy a T-Mobile phone from the Apple Store for the full retail price, I can confirm this works with any SIM.

Deepo

Sitting here with both the 6 and the 6 Plus. Been playing around with both (mostly the Plus), and while it's absolutely perfect for using on the couch, I'm slowly realizing that it won't fit into my life (pretentious, yes). I'll have to buy all new pants to fit it. I'll need bluetooth headphones for using it while exercising. I can reach everything on the keyboard while using it with my left hand, except for the backspace key.

So I think I'm going with the 6. If the Plus actually had a faster CPU and GPU I might have felt different. But as it is now, I don't feel that the plusses on the Plus outweighs how cumbersome it is to use (for me) outside of sitting down and using both hands.

When I look at the Plus, I feel stressed. When I look at the 6, I feel calm, and slightly bored. But calm.

I cancelled my Plus order and I think I'm just going to go with a regular 6 and get an iPad Mini. I had the idea of using the Plus as a tablet because I'm wanting to start going digital with books but a lot of the books I'm interested in require a tablet so I wouldn't even be able to use the Plus how I want.

Akim

Banned
Don't believe Target in their stocking. Online it says they have +'s in stock for Verizon, but they actually don't.

I got my iPhone 6 Plus few days ago and the Home button makes a rather unusual sound than the previous phones or my sisters iPhone 6 which is also with me still.

It works fine but the pop sounds a little louder than the usual with a weird click sound.

Should I be worried or should I just continue using it?

Aske

I wonder what the solution would be? What has the solution been for other phones of this size?

I personally have no issue with reachability. I've seen a lot of people say it's hard to get used to. I'll admit at first, I had no idea how to activate it. Had to look it up and see it's a "touch" not a "press" lol. But once I figured that out, it's pretty easy/smooth to use.

I think, it's lazy in how it looks. But I wonder what other solution there is (outside of going back to a smaller size).

I like reachability, but here's an idea: have designated area above the dock, in place of the bottom row of icons; swipe it, and it spins your apps around like a train on tracks until the ones you want are on the lowest row and easily within reach.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
So for anyone who has ordered through Apple and received their phone - once your order moves from "Processing" to "Preparing for Shipment" how long does it take to actually ship?

Koyuga

I got my iPhone 6 Plus few days ago and the Home button makes a rather unusual sound than the previous phones or my sisters iPhone 6 which is also with me still.

It works fine but the pop sounds a little louder than the usual with a weird click sound.

Should I be worried or should I just continue using it?
Mine is the same, I'm a bit annoyed by the clicky-ness of it but I'll adjust in time. Im sure it's nothing...

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Ugh, worst possible outcome in my quest for an Iphone 6.

I ordered an iphone at the att store, because I was going to trade in my iphone 5. Kill two birds with one stone right?

I had to cancel because I'm moving sooner than expected and I wouldn't be in town to receive the delivery. So I cancel the order, 2 days later my account is still not eligible for an upgrade because in their system I just ordered a brand new phone.

So today after years of owning the og iphone, 3g, Iphone 4 and my current iphone i finally shattered my first iphone. Goodbye 200 bucks that I was about to get and I can't a new phone because my account is fucked.

Vyer

I thought reachability looked kind of dumb when it was shown but i've actually found it useful a few times already.

BFIB

I ordered an iphone at the att store, because I was going to trade in my iphone 5. Kill two birds with one stone right?

I had to cancel because I'm moving sooner than expected and I wouldn't be in town to receive the delivery. So I cancel the order, 2 days later my account is still not eligible for an upgrade because in their system I just ordered a brand new phone.

So today after years of owning the og iphone, 3g, Iphone 4 and my current iphone i finally shattered my first iphone. Goodbye 200 bucks that I was about to get and I can't a new phone because my account is fucked.

Oh man, sorry to hear that. You could look at replacing the screen, but I hear the ribbon cable for Touch ID is a very tight fit on the iPhone 5/5S and is prone to snap off easily.

Or you could try to sell it outright (probably could still get around $100 if not more), or go to Apple and see what your options there are.

Jomjom

Banned
Been playing with my 6+ for about a day now. Anyone else feel it's actually still too small? I kind of wish they had made it 6 to 6.2 inches instead.

Ok, day two with my iPhone 6+ and checked how straight my phone is out of curiosity and, it bent. Very slightly though, it's not noticeable unless you actually put it on a straight surface and check it yourself. I'll post pics later when I get a chance.

Mine is the same, I'm a bit annoyed by the clicky-ness of it but I'll adjust in time. Im sure it's nothing...

At the moment since I just started using it, it is bothering me a ton, I can't say the same perhaps a few days later.

Ok, day two with my iPhone 6+ and checked how straight my phone is out of curiosity and, it bent. Very slightly though, it's not noticeable unless you actually put it on a straight surface and check it yourself. I'll post pics later when I get a chance.

Please do. Thank you.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Oh man, sorry to hear that. You could look at replacing the screen, but I hear the ribbon cable for Touch ID is a very tight fit on the iPhone 5/5S and is prone to snap off easily.

Or you could try to sell it outright (probably could still get around $100 if not more), or go to Apple and see what your options there are.

I think i'm just going to use it as an Ipod or something. The volume down button is broken too, it's just not worth the hassle.

Ambient80

I'd call AT&T and bitch incessantly until they fix your account in their system. There's no reason a cancellation should take that long to process. If you tell them you want to order another one and just have it shipped to your new address they'll probably work harder to get it done. Or, threaten to leave because of the ridiculous delay in getting ANY new phone because of a problem with updating your account on their end.

Vyer

I think i'm just going to use it as an Ipod or something. The volume down button is broken too, it's just not worth the hassle.

Don't know where you are, but around here there are shops that will replace a screen for about 100. As long as it functions fine and looks nice you could still trade to AT&T and at least come out 100 bucks or so.

Don't forget AT&T trade in is until the 30th

ZeroAKA

Finally drained my battery after my first full charge. I'm very impressed.
NoXiSXX.png
I turned off background app refresh and location services.

Erebus

First case of bent phone on GAF?

Ugh. Bell supposedly processed my refund at Tuesday Noon for the iPhone I had ordered through them and I still see nothing on my Visa. They have been extremely frustrating to deal with in regards to getting the order reversed. They cancelled it on the website but still not money back.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet.

Dropped in a nearby Apple store around noon today and they had just got in a shipment and had some of the 6 Plus in. Nabbed a 128GB Space Gray. My Silver 6 is now in the hands of my wife and she's extremely pleased, too.

Never going to pre-order with T-Mobile again.

Sweet.

Dropped in a nearby Apple store around noon today and they had just got in a shipment and had some of the 6 Plus in. Nabbed a 128GB Space Gray. My Silver 6 is now in the hands of my wife and she's extremely pleased, too.

Never going to pre-order with T-Mobile again.

I think next year's thread should have a warning: PREORDER THROUGH CARRIERS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I am doing my business through Apple when it comes to the iPhone from now on.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think next year's thread should have a warning: PREORDER THROUGH CARRIERS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I am doing my business through Apple when it comes to the iPhone from now on.

I tried to do business through Apple and their site was down for 2 hours. :p My verizon order came in fine (I ordered at like 2:30AM CST/12:30AM PST).

Hopefully Apple can keep their site up next time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Apple leather case is by far the best looking case on the market

Also feels great in your hand

And smells good

The leather case definitely felt and looked the best, but based on what I tried in the store, it seemed to scratch pretty easily. I went with the silicone case for now.

Pavaloo

So I updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 8.02 today from 7-something, but now after updating only the very top half of my touch screen works :/

Anyone know anyway I can remedy this or do I just have to basically wait for iOS 8.03?

So I updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 8.02 today from 7-something, but now after updating only the very top half of my touch screen works :/

Anyone know anyway I can remedy this or do I just have to basically wait for iOS 8.03?

Try holding home and power until the phone resets and you see the apple logo?

I should be getting an iPhone 6 tomorrow, as I just managed to reserve one at my local store via Apple's site.

I currently have an iPhone 4S. Can I simply remove the sim card from that and put it in the iPhone 6? Both are unlocked. If so, is there anything I need to do?

Also, I've never upgraded from one iPhone to another before. Do I just backup my 4S to iTunes, then plug in my 6 and sync it, and everything will be transferred over? Is there anything that's not covered by this? Like not just apps, but any settings, data, notes, reminders, game saves, etc?

kharma45

I should be getting an iPhone 6 tomorrow, as I just managed to reserve one at my local store via Apple's site.

I currently have an iPhone 4S. Can I simply remove the sim card from that and put it in the iPhone 6? Both are unlocked. If so, is there anything I need to do?

Also, I've never upgraded from one iPhone to another before. Do I just backup my 4S to iTunes, then plug in my 6 and sync it, and everything will be transferred over? Is there anything that's not covered by this? Like not just apps, but any settings, data, notes, reminders, game saves, etc?

You can't. 4S takes a Micro SIM, the 6 a Nano. You can cut them down to nano size.

keiichi

Decided to finally get a 128gb space grey 6 instead of waiting for a 6+ ... it was available all week and went out of stock when I came back from the gym :(

oh well

Top Bottom