• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

Mononoke

Banned
So sprint is offering a free upgrade towards the 6/6+. Would I still have to pay the ETF if I wanted to change my plan to the $50 unlimited one that is iPhone exclusive?

Don't have the answer to your question. BUT DO THIS in stores. DO NOT go through their site. Or you will be waiting for months with zero info from them. Sprint has been awful with this shit.

Not sure if you can go to Best Buy or Target or some other store (that has the Sprint model), and if they will allow you to upgrade your account using that deal. But if you can, do it that way. Use this site:

http://idevicechecker.com/

What's up with the 'No Service' message? did you update to 8.0.1?

They fixed that. The new iOS update no longer bricks service. I upgraded my brand new phone yesterday to it, no problems.

Deepo

The 6+ fits my hand like a glove.

OT3XxPS.jpg

Mammoth Jones indeed.

i need reachability from right to left too lol. need a hefty stretch to reach right icons on 6+ :3

got the button fix from spigen, neo hybrid case is pretty great. good grip, good buttons,

I find myself never using reachability. I am using my 6+ with one hand quite a bit but it can be cumbersome at times. I think I'm going to move the apps I tend to use with one hand (there's only a handful of them) over the left side of the screen for easier access. That seems like the simple solution.

Mononoke

Banned
Dumb question. But I'm not seeing the option to manually edit my songs on my iPhone on iTunes. I have iTunes Match, so maybe that's why it won't let me. Problem is, some of my albums aren't showing the album art. So I wanted to delete them off my phone and re-download again, to try to get the art to show up.

But I have no idea how to. Not seeing the option to remove on iPhone.

EDIT: Nevermind I forgot, you have to swipe on the song itself to get the Delete button to show up.

Still not sure how to get the album art to fix though. Hmmm. I don't get why iPhone don't have the option to "find album art" through the phone. Would solve this issue quickly.

HUELEN10

fugly.

TheWirecutter continues their iPhone coverage with The Best iPhone 6 Case (so far): "After surveying almost 1,000 Wirecutter readers and testing 38 iPhone 6 cases over a period of about 20 hours (so far), our initial pick for the best all-around case is the CandyShell from Speck..."

rather get a battery/waterproof/lens attachment case...
Yay Candyshell, fuck the haters!

Best one is the ATT exclusive black one with scratch resistant clearcoat; don't know why they don't give every case this treatment though.

Mononoke

Banned
Yay Candyshell, fuck the haters!

Best one is the ATT exclusive black one with scratch resistant clearcoat; don't know why they don't give every case this treatment though.

I really love the leather one. I actually was considering getting this one (because I just wanted basic support to prevent bending). I usually rock my phones naked, but was worried about the plus bending, so I wanted a very thin case to provide support. The only reason I didn't go with the one linked, and went with the leather over it, was the leather has a nice grip to it. It feels great in my hand, and I like the way the overall phone sits in my hand now.

That said, not worth $50. Apple over charges like no body's business.

jackrubyn

Picked up a gold Plus today. Jesus, is it big. My 4s fits completely within the edges of the display when you lay them on top of each other. Feel like it's too big, actually. But I wanted the extra features (don't ask me what they are, cause I couldn't tell you).

Wubby

My 6 Plus is finally in at my SoftBank shop. Have to pick it up tomorrow.

They are offering me ~$240 for my 64gb 4S. I'm debating if I should or not... Kept my 3G but since I didn't use it anymore the battery completely died and is just taking up space. But I still love the 4S and don't know if I want to get rid of it.

Davey Cakes

Got my iPhone 6 Plus yesterday.

It's nice. I'll probably do my transfer with AT&T tomorrow.

Is it big? Yes. But honestly it isn't overwhelming. I think I'll easily get used to it.

jcm

Yea, I'm gonna craigslist my iPhone 5 64gb (AT&T). It's in good condition but will AT&T unlock a phone if I ask them to?

They'll unlock it if you're contract is up. You can go here to get started. I did it yesterday and it took about 15 minutes or so. Once they set it to be unlocked, you have to restore it using iTunes.

If you're leaving AT&T, make sure you unlock before you go. They take days to unlock former customers.

According to my carrier there are no 6 Plus units in the entire country and won't be for weeks.

They neglect to tell anyone this until halfway through release day.

I'm still using a version of the app from before Messenger was made mandatory, not sure whether to make the switch or go blurry. They hid Most Recent view in the menu too, it's really awful.

Latest facebook app is a blurry mess and briefly goes all black whenever you open it up

Mononoke

Banned
Fixed the album art problem with iTunes match. What a terrible set up. Basically, iTunes Match prevents you from manually editing your music in iTunes. The only way to solve this, is to manually re-add the album art (even if it shows up in iTunes) then re-sync iTunes match.

Ridiculous.

br3wnor

Planning to upgrade from an iPhone 4 16GB to iPhone 6 64GB, anyone else done the same?
If not, would you say it's been worth upgrading from the likes of a 5/5S?

And any other advice would be welcome.

Mainly upgrading for the storage and the better camera, as well as the fact that I'm in the Apple ecosystem with a MacBook Pro and iPad Mini. Also I just like the design.

PS what's the consensus on the leather cases for those that have bought them (or last year's 5S leather cases)

I upgraded from a 4 to 5 and it was worth it completely, so going to the 6 is a no brainer. Every time I pick up a 4/4s, I can't believe how heavy and blocky the phone is compared to just the 5, and the 6 is even thinner

SeanR1221

Tech 21 case blows away candy shell imo.

After a day of using this thing I love my tech 21 case. Gets a huge recommendation from me. Feels good in the hands and has impact protection.

jackrubyn

Forgot to mention another, very slight, minus (in my mind) with the Plus. To me the build quality feels slightly worse than the 4s (haven't tried the 5). Going from 4 to 4s, I immediately noticed how the vibration on silent was way more satisfying. It was silent (as opposed to how the 4 sort of rattled), plus the vibration was more ... subtle? More of a buzzing feel (this is getting abstract). And now, with the Plus, I feel it's more akin to the 4 in terms of vibration noise and feel. The whole construction feels sort of hollow when it vibrates. I almost would have preferred for it to be just a little heavier and more rigid. Again, minor complaint. The screen quality is amazing. I love the roundness of it.

jts

...hate me...
I upgraded from a 4 to 5 and it was worth it completely, so going to the 6 is a no brainer. Every time I pick up a 4/4s, I can't believe how heavy and blocky the phone is compared to just the 5, and the 6 is even thinner
I have a 5 and I like the 4's feel though. Feels heavy but premium like a fine watch. Dat stainless steel + glass.

What I hate about it is the tiny almost square looking display.

Noema

Rather than add "reachability," Apple should have added something people have wanted from the get-go: the ability to put their icons wherever the hell they feel like rather than top to bottom, no gaps allowed, etc.

As much as I prefer iOS to Android, this is one of the things that would be hard to stomach if I ever go back to iOS. Android not only has separate spaces for the launcher and the App drawer, it lets you arrenge shortcuts in the launcher in which ever way you feel is more practical.

iOS's grid of icons is a holdover of the days the iPhone was barely a smartphone with no 3rd party apps. It made sense in 2007. It makes little sense these days.

jts

...hate me...
Forgot to mention another, very slight, minus (in my mind) with the Plus. To me the build quality feels slightly worse than the 4s (haven't tried the 5). Going from 4 to 4s, I immediately noticed how the vibration on silent was way more satisfying. It was silent (as opposed to how the 4 sort of rattled), plus the vibration was more ... subtle? More of a buzzing feel (this is getting abstract). And now, with the Plus, I feel it's more akin to the 4 in terms of vibration noise and feel. The whole construction feels sort of hollow when it vibrates. I almost would have preferred for it to be just a little heavier and more rigid. Again, minor complaint. The screen quality is amazing. I love the roundness of it.
The vibration difference from the 4 to the 4s doesn't have to do with build quality though. It's just that the 4s used a linear oscillating vibrator instead of the cheaper, simpler, rotational vibrator that the 4 used.

Shamefully, Apple went back to the rotational in the 5 and 5s. Probably kept that in the 6 too, but I'm not sure.

After a week long wait of back and forth watching my delivery date jump weeks ahead sometimes only to jump back again, I got my tracking ID today. I finally have an idea if and when it will arrive. Thanks T-Mobile Germany. Tomorrow's the day!
By the way switching from a Nexus 5 which I loved, but unfortunately I dropped it a couple of weeks back and I'm so sick of staring at the cracked screen.
Looking at the supposed pictures of the Moto Nexus I don't feel so bad for coming back to Apple. It looks good but not as simple and elegant as the Nexus 5, so the iPhone it is!

Guess Who

Banned
The vibration difference from the 4 to the 4s doesn't have to do with build quality though. It's just that the 4s used a linear oscillating vibrator instead of the cheaper, simpler, rotational vibrator that the 4 used.

Shamefully, Apple went back to the rotational in the 5 and 5s. Probably kept that in the 6 too, but I'm not sure.

The regular 6 actually uses the 4S's linear oscillator, but by all accounts the 6 Plus is much louder. Not sure what it used.

has anyone received their Spigen 6+ case from Amazon yet? Ordered it on 9/12 and they're still preparing to ship : /

also, anyone have a good screen protector, preferably something with a matte-like feel to it?

Clipse

Stalking the inventor tracker on Apple.com has paid off! Just scored a 128GB 6+ in Space Gray for in-store pickup! Work is going to go by so slow now..

Tech 21 case blows away candy shell imo.

After a day of using this thing I love my tech 21 case. Gets a huge recommendation from me. Feels good in the hands and has impact protection.

Looks nice but I'm only seeing one case for the plus on their site, also how tight is the fit on the phone?

Jomjom

Banned
Cheapy crystal clear TPU cases beat all cases period. Full body skin from Skinomi plus wrapped in the TPU clear case is the best combination of protection plus still having as close to the naked look as possible.

No stupid stripes or weird designs. No logos from stupid case manufacturer brands nobody even cares about. I already have the Apple logo on the phone I don't need any more logos on the back.

Eusis

3 Dinners??

I get your point but it's a lot more than 3 dinners.

Edit: unless you're talking about an entire families dinner.
Also if you're in the position to seriously view that as "just 3 dinners" for one person then you probably shouldn't be second guessing how much you spend on these phones. Maybe if you were going for some sort of crazy diamond encrusted phone or one with a premium leather casing, but not the standard mass produced iPhones.

Top Bottom