• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6 [OT]

First case of bent phone on GAF?
I don't know, it's not bent, more like "curved". I work at an office and I usually put my phone on my desk. I rarely keep my phone in my pocket. When I drive, I have a dock for my car, and it's the mountek with the magnet holder. So, I have this little metal plate in between the iPhone and the leather case.

What I did on my first day with my new iPhone was keep it on the car dock, and leave it on my desk during work. Today though, I kept my phone mostly in my pocket. I kept it in my pocket while I drove to work and home, and also when I had to walk around the building to get stuff done during work hours. I did not keep my phone in my pocket while I was sitting at work however.

And here's the result, slightly curved.

hQeu1Pl.jpg

bzaNv5j.jpg

As you can see, in the middle, the light shines through ever so slightly. Nothing major. Out of curiosity, I decided to check my old iPhone 5s and see if that one is straight. Nope, also curved like my iPhone 6+. Difference is that I had that iPhone 5s for only a couple of months. Same thing applied to my iPad 3 and the family's iPad 2. Except we couldn't pocket the other two iDevices. Lol

Mononoke

Banned
I don't know, it's not bent, more like "curved". I work at an office and I usually put my phone on my desk. I rarely keep my phone in my pocket. When I drive, I have a dock for my car, and it's the mountek with the magnet holder. So, I have this little metal plate in between the iPhone and the leather case.

What I did on my first day with my new iPhone was keep it on the car dock, and leave it on my desk during work. Today though, I kept my phone mostly in my pocket. I kept it in my pocket while I drove to work and home, and also when I had to walk around the building to get stuff done during work hours. I did not keep my phone in my pocket while I was sitting at work however.

As you can see, in the middle, the light shines through ever so slightly. Nothing major. Out of curiosity, I decided to check my old iPhone 5s and see if that one is straight. Nope, also curved like my iPhone 6+. Difference is that I had that iPhone 5s for only a couple of months. Same thing applied to my iPad 3 and the family's iPad 2. Except we couldn't pocket the other two iDevices. Lol

Are you using a case? Curious if that prevents warping or curving. I see you say leather case. Sort of confused. Does that case stay on at all times? Did it stay on when in your Jean pocket?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I wonder if some of them are coming out slightly bent out of box? Sounds strange that yours would be bent given that it is rarely in your pocket

EDIT

Wait, everything you checked with that ruler was slightly curved? Are you sure the ruler is not bent?

Are you using a case? Curious if that prevents warping or curving.

Yes, I'm using the official Apple leather case. However, this case isn't rigid, it's pretty flexible, so I don't think it would prevent the iPhone from bending. The case technically has to bend out of shape to get the iPhone out of it too.

rezuth

Is there a chance it came curved?

Deku Tree

FedEx left my 6+ sitting outside the door of my house in the middle of a big city for half the day. Glad it was still there when I got home. The size is great.

Mononoke

Banned
Yes, I'm using the official Apple leather case. However, this case isn't rigid, it's pretty flexible, so I don't think it would prevent the iPhone from bending. The case technically has to bend out of shape to get the iPhone out of it too.

Oh wow that's not good! I'm using that case too. Just got it last night hoping to prevent warping. :(

I had my phone in my pocket all day today and no bending yet. Now I'm nervous since we have the same case.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really glad I moved up to the Plus. The 6 is a cooler looking device and definitely more wieldy, but the screen size and resolution of the Plus is just perfect for me.

Wait, everything you checked with that ruler was slightly curved? Are you sure the ruler is not bent?

Hold the fort! This man is on to something. I tried to see if I could find another ruler around the house to check the curve again, but no luck. I may have to wait till I get back to work on Monday unfortunately. I checked the frame of my bed, and the ruler doesn't look like its straight as an arrow, unless my bed's frame is also bent from supporting my fat myself.

I need a second ruler to reaffirm my claim, unless you guys have some other ideas. :eek:

rezuth

Hold the fort! This man is on to something. I tried to see if I could find another ruler around the house to check the curve again, but no luck. I may have to wait till I get back to work on Monday unfortunately. I checked the frame of my bed, and the ruler doesn't look like its straight as an arrow, unless my bed's frame is also bent from supporting my fat myself.

I need a second ruler to reaffirm my claim, unless you guys have some other ideas. :eek:

The back of some kitchen knife maybe? I mean surely you have a lot of things that are straight.

a916

Would a drop of water not show if it's flat or not?

did you ever consider that maybe your ruler is curved?

Mononoke

Banned

Keep us updated. Curious now since we have the same case. Too bad you didn't measure the device immediately when taking it out of the box. That's another factor we won't know (if some ship slightly curved).

Anyone else that has the apple leather case please update us in this thread if you start to get bending. I'll do the same.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'd call AT&T and bitch incessantly until they fix your account in their system. There's no reason a cancellation should take that long to process. If you tell them you want to order another one and just have it shipped to your new address they'll probably work harder to get it done. Or, threaten to leave because of the ridiculous delay in getting ANY new phone because of a problem with updating your account on their end.

Thank you!
I did that and the problem was resolved. Funny how that happens.

Vooduu

Loving how accurate 'text-to-speech' is now. It's probably one of my most used features. Siri is 10x better too.

Just loving my 6+.

I love how he is like "Mint out of the box" and then its clearly been setup and all. Not that I think he doctored it but if you wanna discourage that how about you... Open an sealed box and take it out? I don't think you pulling the wrapper of something is gonna discredit shit.

Such an annoying dude.

Keep us updated. Curious now since we have the same case. Too bad you didn't measure the device immediately when taking it out of the box. That's another factor we won't know (if some ship slightly curved).

Anyone else that has the apple leather case please update us in this thread if you start to get bending. I'll do the same.

Agreed. I checked my phone for bends when I first unboxed.

The back of some kitchen knife maybe? I mean surely you have a lot of things that are straight.
Good idea! Still shows the curve.

I'm thinking that the phone probably came in like this. Sucks that I didn't check when I first got it, but I wasn't worried about it at all. I'm still not worried about it either to be honest, the only reason I checked it was because the whole #bendgate got widespread, even my co-workers were asking me about it. Lol

hitsugi

Not sure what the youtube payouts are like but he's probably going to be making some decent money for a bit.

Also - I'd rather he didn't buy yet ANOTHER phone just to break it.

Is it just me or has anyone put up an iPhone 6 and the 6 Plus and felt the iPhone 6 screen to be superior to the Plus?

I know it has lower resolution but the colors or the sharpness on my iPhone 6 beats the iPhone 6 Plus. I have them both and I took them inside a dark room, set them both at equal brightness and I've gone through the home screen, few pictures and especially web browsing where the sharpness seems to be better on the iPhone 6 rather than the 6 Plus. I like the colors that seem to be warmer and giving out a much natural look than the 6 Plus.

Has anyone noticed this yet or is it just me?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
All of these pictures of people breaking iPhone 6s on purpose are so depressing considering there still isn't stock to ship mine. :mad:

ciD_Vain

Just adding my experience thus far- I've had my phone since launch, I wear skinny jeans, I wear slacks for work, I place my phone in my front pocket face up and face down for hours some times, I place my phone in my pocket while driving, I don't have a case on it, My iPhone 6 Plus has no bend yet! :)

Haven't read it yet, but are there any concrete numbers to suggest the bending issue is a high failure rate/widespread issue?

My issue is with how the tests were done and the specific methods used. They used a press to apply force is 10lb increments to the center of the phone. It's well and good for finding the actual amount a stress the phone can take, but it doesn't address the real world situations that can cause one to warp the way they are. Mainly high heat/humidity environment, like your pocket on a hot day, plus force. By that matter the OG bendgate video was bad too, but at least he never claimed it was scientific.

Apath

I love how he is like "Mint out of the box" and then its clearly been setup and all. Not that I think he doctored it but if you wanna discourage that how about you... Open an sealed box and take it out? I don't think you pulling the wrapper of something is gonna discredit shit.
What difference does it make? Clearly the phone was straight at the beginning of the video and bent in two seconds none the less.

Mononoke

Banned
My issue is with how the tests were done and the specific methods used. They used a press to apply force is 10lb increments to the center of the phone. It's well and good for finding the actual amount a stress the phone can take, but it doesn't address the real world situations that can cause one to warp the way they are. Mainly high heat/humidity environment, like your pocket on a hot day, plus force. By that matter the OG bendgate video was bad too, but at least he never claimed it was scientific.

Appreciate the lengthy explanation. These sort of things go over my head. Good to know the tests are flawed.

Particle Physicist

Yeah he did. He said it was for 'the sake of science'

Those consumer report videos are scientific, they just aren't set up to mimick real world 'pocket' environments. They are solely set up to test the strength of the phone at one point in a controlled laboratory setting.

Real world situation like a padded fat ass?

Particle Physicist

The others are in no way good science lol, neither address the real reason the iPhones are "bending."

Are we even sure the phones are actually bending or if some of them have a slight curve coming out of manufacturing? Are we even sure all of the photos floating around are legitamate 'pocket' bends?

Particle Physicist

From what I can tell they're warping, not bending. I've seen a few bends, but I chock that up to db Pete doing dumb things.

If you really want to be scientific about this, there is no way to tell from the reports if the phones were warped/bent after they were unboxed or if they came that way unless someone immediately checked out the phone with a ruler or whatnot when unboxing it and then again later. Also, it's nearly impossible to verify if some of the pictures are legitamate complaints or are a result of someone purposefully bending the phone for the Internet hits.

Clipse

Been playing with my 6+ for about a day now. Anyone else feel it's actually still too small? I kind of wish they had made it 6 to 6.2 inches instead.
Just got home with my 6+ and thought the same thing after powering it on for the first time. Maybe I should also buy an iPad to satisfy my need for a large iDevice.

Top Bottom